• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 minutes of open world Watch Dogs gameplay [hacking, combat, driving]

Kadayi

Banned
Game still looks interesting. Not too sure about how being you reconcile being a vigilante having just killed a half dozen security guards, but I guess they were going for effect. Also somewhat surprised that you can straight up buy what looks like a .50 cal sniper rifle from your average gun store. I'd of thought that equipment like that would be harder to obtain.

Ambivalent about the hacker invasion stuff personally, mainly because you invariably know that's going to occur at the least opportune moments in reality. Cool I guess for those who want it, but I hope there's a solo only mode.

Day one still. Curious to know if there will be in game/car music stations at all. Not expecting GTA levels of variety, but some degree of personalization would be good. Also curious to know whether you can personalize your own appearance. The invader didn't look like the player, but perhaps that's simply a randomized representation.

Map looks huge though

Vire

Watch Dogs is a cross gen open world game, InFamous is a true next-gen open world game. That said, Watch Dogs obviously destroys what current gen is capable of in the next-gen versions, but the true next-gen open world experience will have to wait for infamous first.

Does it look that much better than GTAV? Not being facetious, but yeah...

day one buy for me. So really this is how gaf is...everything is picked a part to the 100th degree and nothing is how it is...everything is bullshots, hyperbole..???t

People also seem to hate anything Ubisoft on here. Which is weird, because they make pretty good games.

Watch Dogs is a cross gen open world game, InFamous is a true next-gen open world game. That said, Watch Dogs obviously destroys what current gen is capable of in the next-gen versions, but the true next-gen open world experience will have to wait for infamous first.

Not to veer off topic, but I'm not anticipating the technical presentation on InFamous despite the footage and screens released thus far. They're impressive, sure, but it's all about how SP are tuning the superpowers and just having fun with the concept of the open world traversal / destruction gameplay they've been working on and evolving since the first.

Which brings me back to Watch Dogs; I hate to state it so bluntly, but the initially promised open design of the game is now looking like Assassins Creed with guns and Demon's Souls-style player invasions.

The blueprint we saw last year is starting to look like a reprint, and that is more tragic than any visual "downgrade".

The hate is strong in this thread.

Initial trailer:

watch+dogs+ubisoft+videogame.gif
And the wind still affects everything.

Derrick01

Banned
People also seem to hate anything Ubisoft on here. Which is weird, because they make pretty good games.

Their open world games are some of the worst games in the entire AAA industry. It's all fluff and superficial, there's very little meaningful interaction and challenge required from the player. You have a checklist of unbalanced, under-utilized features to do and collectibles to gather and your only real reward for doing it all is the knowledge that you filled all the bars in the game (and an achievement/trophy I guess).

It doesn't help that they take every derivative dumbed down feature from 1 game and plant them into their next upcoming game. It's straight up lazy and recyclable game design.

The problem with Ubisoft is that they have their own design school that most of their games have to follow. (Tons of meaningless upgrade paths, Repetitive side missions, etc.) - Derrick said it better.

Along with that, they have a history of bullshotting to the max. They deserve some of the criticism.

NotSaladin

Neo Member
This video is way too familiar. I'm almost certain I have seen this before, quite a while back in fact even with the voiceover as well...so why was this re-released?

I really hope they do a better job from a technical perspective of hitting that original vertical slice they demonstrated the first time 2 years ago and that this build is just a rehash of an older one.

Game still looks promising but I am also only cautiously optimistic.

EDIT: Just finished watching the whole thing. This is definitely old, no doubt about it.

Dennis

Banned
This is still one of the most anticpated games with a fresh new take on what to do in an open-world game.

They can't all be straight GTA/Saints Row clones.

And if the graphics are better than the gif in this thread it should be a visible treat as well.

The pre-release backlash is something fierce for this game.

joesiv

Initial trailer:

watch+dogs+ubisoft+videogame.gif
Looks pretty!

To be fair, the early reveal would have had it's location picked to specifically to make the game look the best it could. Not only that, but it could have had additional polish added to it, to represent what they were targeting. Could have just been a vertical slice really.

Direct feeds now are less controlled, and could be set in locations that have a lot less artistic density (it is open world right?).

The wind is looking really good in the reveal though, but being open world, perhaps the "wind" is one of the enviromental effects that the game will shift through, which currently isn't showing up in the demos.

Also, time of day will make a big difference in the look of the shaders (low/long shadows make shaders look pretty, flat overcast light makes things look dull).

Everything was surely tweaked to the max to give the best visual representation for the initial reveal (everything cept that shadowmap offset lol)

KeRaSh

Their open world games are some of the worst games in the entire AAA industry.

Come on. Hate it or love it but that's just not true. I feel exactly the same about Rockstar and their open world games but that doesn't automatically make it a fact...

Lord Phol

Atm I feel like the smart thing would be to wait for the sequel like I did with Assassins Creed. Not really too impressed.

Derrick01

Banned
Atm I feel like the smart thing would be to wait for the sequel like I did with Assassins Creed. Not really too impressed.

Expecting the sequel to be a ton better is a mistake IMO. The current open world design that I and others are ranting about pretty much started with AC2, the game everyone says is sooo much better than 1, and then it just got worse with each AC game and Far Cry 3.

Their open world games are some of the worst games in the entire AAA industry. It's all fluff and superficial, there's very little meaningful interaction and challenge required from the player. You have a checklist of unbalanced, under-utilized features to do and collectibles to gather and you're only real reward for doing it all is the knowledge that you filled all the bars in the game (and an achievement/trophy I guess).

It doesn't help that they take every derivative dumbed down feature from 1 game and plant them into their next upcoming game. It's straight up lazy and recyclable game design.

Well, you're talking to a big AC fan here, so I obviously don't agree. I will never understand the hate the series gets on here. Most of the stuff you do in AC pays off in some way.

Far Cry 3 does bore me a bit, though, but that's because the world was boring. Which made hunting for collectibles and chasing down xp and upgrades boring. I don't have that problem in AC, and I don't think I'll have it here. This seems like a grittier, darker GTA-type world with a spy thriller feel. So awesome, in other words.

stufte

Come on. Hate it or love it but that's just not true. I feel exactly the same about Rockstar and their open world games but that doesn't automatically make it a fact...

This. But then again, Derrick01 has nothing but seething hate for all things fun.

Zok310

Banned
Looks fantastic, but not digging the multiplayer so far, comes off as disruptive and distracting., hopefully we can turn it off.

HeelPower

I fail to understand what the detractors are talking about here.I downloaded the video and it looks downright fantastic.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I still can't figure out if I want to get this for PS4 or what.

But man, I do love threads where Yin and Yang have a conversation, they really live up to their tags.

Dennis

Banned
I hope this is a more cerebral open-world game.

GTA and SR (and Sleeping Dogs) more than cover the action-focused take.

Grief.exe

Oh really?

So they replaced the PC keyboard icons with Playstation icons? (not a quip, just a serious question.)

And damn, I thought that was current gen.

They do this literally for every preview the past few years.

Publishers are demoing games on PC with console controllers.

Could this be considered false advertising?

Amir0x

Banned
Does it look that much better than GTAV? Not being facetious, but yeah...

I mean everyone has their own value assessment; I obviously love GTAV's artistic direction. But technically, yeah it's not particularly close. But obviously closer to GTAV than something like inFamous: Second Son, though.

All this of course considering Watch Dogs is 1080p and GTA games on consoles are 720p (I'm not even sure if the PS3 version may be less) and tend to have atrocious framerates. And that GTAV on PC with an enb mod will probably compare favorable to Watch Dogs at a first glance, if we avoid some of the larger details (and assuming all the weather physics shit about Watch Dogs was a lie)

AngryBird

Banned
This game just feels awkward. I don't know if it's just me. It feels like it has an identity crisis, or what is it trying to be? You can kill people, but hacking isn't that badass, which feels like you did something bad.

Why did he kill those guards but spared the criminal who shot him? The guards were just doing their job, and he killed them just to hack some thingy... see?

Is there an actual reason for killing or can you go sneaking. In gta is a criminal game you are supposed to do it.

Driving mechanics are awkward as well. + he got on the car, crossed a bridge and went to the destination in a weirdly short time, and the way the car stops and starts.

Graphics are ok for crossgen multiplatform, but that's not the issue with me.

UrbanRats

I mean everyone has their own value assessment; I obviously love GTAV's artistic direction. But technically, yeah it's not particularly close. But obviously closer to GTAV than something like inFamous: Second Son, though.

All this of course considering Watch Dogs is 1080p and GTA games on consoles are 720p (I'm not even sure if the PS3 version may be less) and tend to have atrocious framerates. And that GTAV on PC with an enb mod will probably compare favorable to Watch Dogs at a first glance, if we avoid some of the larger details (and assuming all the weather physics shit about Watch Dogs was a lie)

Watch Dogs also lacks the ability to fly anything, which is helpful, since you can stream in the environment in slower.

Joeki11a

Banned
All these "ohhh it doesnt look like E3 reveal"crew

A this is all Ps3 version not PS4...

Ubi are not going to show a Nov 15th game

in a console not released yet on videos

Top Bottom