• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

red731

PROGRESS: 98%

56479-Inglorious-Basterds-anticipati-0kPd.gif

CTLance

By the by, for those of us with DX10 cards, a user on the SC forums has gotten the Hangar module to work using the Windows Advanced Rasterization Project which should be part of Windows/DirectX if you've installed this Platform Update - which should have already happened if you're running Windows Update every now and then as it also fixes some bugs and whatnot. Windows 7/8 only, I'm afraid.

Next you need to get the Crysis 3 SDK files. You can get them over here for free and without registration or any other shenanigans. It's a zipfile, too, so no need to install stuff, just open it in WinRAR or 7zip or whatever.

Now copy the following two files:
Code:
ShaderCacheStartup.pak
ShadersBin.pak
from the "Engine" subfolder of the SDK into the folder (installation location)\StarCitizen\CitizenClient\Engine.
Be careful not to overwrite any files, they shouldn't be there. If you get a warning about an already existing file something has changed and you better stop right there.

Keep in mind this is in no way, shape, or form supported or endorsed by CGI and may or may not work depending on your hardware.

Also, don't expect amazing performance or anything.

It works, I can play around in my Hangar on my ancient Ati 4850 with 512 MB RAM, which is way outside the official specs.

I'm assuming this next goal unlock is something that will be available to everyone who backs and not just people who pledge before it reaches that point, like with some of the others? I haven't pledged yet because i set my account name to the wrong thing so i sent them an email to see if i can get it changed, but t don't want to miss out on any more things.

CTLance

Proof:
The framerate is horrible, maybe 10-20 fps, but who the fuck cares.

Edit: Fiddling around with the settings for a bit, at 720p and on Medium (not the default low) quality settings it's serviceable. The framerate is still nowhere near perfect, but it's good enough to explore the Hangar in earnest.

CTLance

Not too fond of cordoning off an entire system for us backers, but whatever. YAY 18 MILLION!

It's amazing, not much more and The Roberts can forego any Venture Capital or other financing aids... He must be ecstatic.

KKRT00

Proof:

Edit: Fiddling around with the settings for a bit, at 720p and on Medium (not the default low) quality settings it's serviceable. The framerate is still nowhere near perfect, but it's good enough to explore the Hangar in earnest.

It probably forces DX10 renderer like in SDK You can, quite interesting, but i wouldnt play game that way :p

Daedardus

Proof:

Those ships are worth as much as new graphics card.
Not too fond of cordoning off an entire system for us backers, but whatever. YAY 18 MILLION!

I never cared about that actually. It will probably be shit, with only the standard dealers availabe or so.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Really staggered by how quickly this game continues to accumulate money despite not being out. Really amazing.

Mindlog

I've never been able to watch a Wingman Hangar live.

Just saw a hangar buggy jumping over two Auroras through a pair of fiery hoops.
Wait...

Freelancer cockpit may be opened up.

epmode

Does anyone know how to manually change the hangar's screen resolution? The game automatically launched at my native resolution a few days ago but the latest patch changed that and I don't see the right resolution in the in-game menu.

MrBig

Does anyone know how to manually change the hangar's screen resolution? The game automatically launched at my native resolution a few days ago but the latest patch changed that and I don't see the right resolution in the in-game menu.

Delete the user folder in the install dir to reset it

20 million - first person combat on certain lawless planets. Don't just battle on space stations and platforms take the fight to the ground

Hnnnnnnnnngggggg

Zabojnik

News, awesome news everywhere. It almost goes without saying at this point, but this is by far the most fun I've had following the development of a game. I seriously feel like I've already gotten my money's worth and am a factor, however small, in the creative process.

Daedardus

The stupid buggy is still $3 more than anyone has in their account by default. No way, Mr. Roberts. I'll happily go broke buying internet space ships but I draw the line at internet golf carts :(

You do not know how much you let me laugh at that :p. Anyway, I'm up for some nice decorations in the future :).

News, awesome news everywhere. It almost goes without saying at this point, but this is by far the most fun I've had following the development of a game. I seriously feel like I've already gotten my money's worth and am a factor, however small, in the creative process.

Yup, we actually backed to get a ticket to how-to-make-a-video-game:-the-two-years-live-documentary.

Sentenza

PROGRESS: 100%

18 MILLION!!!!
Slowpoke.png

18 million dollars? Goddamn nothing stopping this train. Saw they released a new patch.
"Space sims just aren't appealing to modern audience"

Meanwhile, the first space sim displaying a shadow of ambition in years gets enough money to fund a triple A game through crowdfunding, before even being close to a release, let alone available on stores.

This game is essentially a proof of how disconnected from its user base this industry is becoming.

Vlodril

The Landing port is looking pretty good even bare bones as it is. Much better than i expected.

And yes i agree that what publishers think people want and what people actually want.. yea quite different at times.

The stupid buggy is still $3 more than anyone has in their account by default. No way, Mr. Roberts. I'll happily go broke buying internet space ships but I draw the line at internet golf carts :(

CR mentioned that they planned to let people start earning credits once the dogfighting module was out. I imagine you'll get a certain number of credits for winning a match or something like that. Hopefully it'll be easy to earn the last 3000 UEC required to buy the golf cart.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member

Meanwhile, the first space sim displaying a shadow of ambition in years gets enough money to fund a triple A game through crowdfunding, before even being close to a release, let alone available on stores.

This game is essentially a proof of how disconnected from its user base this industry is becoming.

If this whole project leads to Freespace 3 one day, It would be my dream come true.
My old Saitek Cyborg awaits the day.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member

Ephemeris

Proof:

Thanks x2. Able to check out my dope 350r.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

this game is essentially a proof of how clever monetisation can work.

CTLance

Looks like I'm setting my starting hangar location to the secret backer system.
Not so sure about that.

There will be many experienced people with huge-ass ships and probably slightly better equipment from the get-go in this system, which will make PVP harder. Not that I'm saying you'll be ganking everything in sight in other starter systems, but the fact that backers will have had extensive dogfighting experience and at least an extra repair bot/engine mod/laser pistol will make battles far harsher.

Plus, that system will probably be stuffed to the gills with players. If you wish to explore jumpgates etc I bet there will be harsh competition. Same with manufacturing.

Then again, why not. It's excluuuuusive. Hard to argue against that. Sounds like you'd have to jump through some hoops to get into the system otherwise.

(I am soooo thankful it's only an exclusive starting area and not a permanently cordoned off system in the game.)

Blizzard

Banned
I finally downloaded the CryEngine 3 SDK, so I'm looking forward to seeing if there are any sort of game/engine mods that can be done to add stuff like new vehicles, using the Star Citizen models.

Sentenza

this game is essentially a proof of how clever monetisation can work.
Maybe that, too? But that's not particularly relevant with the premise (" people don't want space sims").
The monetisation process is not very different from many other Kickstarter projects so far, and yet there must be a reason if this project dwarfs any other crowdfunded game so far.

Vlodril

Roberts has really run a masterfull campaign. From the start since now. He clearly knows what space sim fans wants and everything new he releases keeps feeding the frenzy.

I am eating so much crow personally because although i backed it on ks i was laughing at the idea that he wanted 6 million minimum and i don't even remember how much was hi goal. more than 12. Welp.

Sentenza

I am eating so much crow personally because although i backed it on ks i was laughing at the idea that he wanted 6 million minimum and i don't even remember how much was hi goal. more than 12. Welp.
Eh, I'm "guilty" of this as well. I remember myself thinking "6 millions as last stretch goal? Yeah, too bad he's never going to get that much".
Here we are now, twelve millions past that point.

CTLance

Man, Elite:Dangerous just released some Space station concepts and artwork in their most recent newsletter. YUM.

I cannot wait to see how Star Citizen Space stations will look like. Especially the player owned ones. Terra is nice and all, but I wants me mah spess stashunns!!!!!

It's still blowing my mind to have a "Wing Commander/Freelancer sequel" and an "Elite sequel" compete for my love and adoration... even if Braben isn't even half as PR savvy as Roberts is. Still, my inner fanboy goes "Squeee!" every now and then.

And then there's Limit Theory.
Ohgod. It's so good to be me right now. And it will be even better a year or two from now.

When this game is ready for release is it going to be free to play? Or standard pricing? Reason I ask is because I would imagine that thier goal for this game is to constantly expand the universe, new planets, ships, etc. Will they come in the form of expansion packs? Or is there some other monetization plan in play?

Top Bottom