• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Years A Slave (Ejiofor, Fassbender, Pitt, Cumberbatch) compared to Schindlers List

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
Pitt surely likes his numbered films:

Se7en
Seven Years in Tibet
Ocean's Eleven
Ocean's Twelve
Ocean's Thirteen
Twelve Monkeys
12 Years a Slave

Derwind

Okay so I caught myself up on Steve McQueens movies Hunger and Shame....

Hunger was great, it seemed a little artsy fartsy at points but I liked it overall.

Shame on the other hand.... I'm sorry but I wanted to bore a drill in my head during some scenes.
Certain scenes were excessively drawn out to the point where I'm thinking "Alright, I get it, get the fuck on with it" like some of the sex scenes or that annoying elevator scene.

I mean, yes, it kept drawing on the subway motif, you start in it, he ends his date by it, he keeps seeing married women in it, he watches his sister get way too close to the tracks...ect(what that meaning of this might be, I don't know but it was consistent)

But for all its positives, it ruined everything by painfully extending the scenes longer than they needed to be, like do I really need to hear the whole fucking terribly sung new york new york song?

I don't think I can watch it again without hurting myself worse than Sissy at the end of the movie.

Hell even Hunger had the same problem with the long overextended scenes but it didn't bother me as much as Shame did. I hope 12 year a slave doesn't fall pray to the same issues.

Just watched the 1980's version of this movie on netflix. Steve McQueen actively pursued this shit? THIS is the script that everyone's going crazy about? THIS movie offends me deeply. I was only going off the trailers and wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt. Steve McQueen's version will be a better acted, better looking, more polished piece of Brad Pitt produced self-congratulating trash.

Just watched the 1980's version of this movie on netflix. Steve McQueen actively pursued this shit? THIS is the script that everyone's going crazy about? THIS movie offends me deeply. I was only going off the trailers and wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt. Steve McQueen's version will be a better acted, better looking, more polished piece of Brad Pitt produced self-congratulating trash.
Are you being sarcastic? I hope you are. Just in case you're not... you're comparing 1984 PBS American Playhouse episode to this current to film. Need I say more?

Are you being sarcastic? I hope you are. Just in case you're not... you're comparing 1984 PBS American Playhouse episode to this current to film. Need I say more?

Not comparing the quality of acting or production values. Steve McQueen's version obviously looks oscar calibre by the standards which hollywood deems movies 'worthy' these days.

This movie's content and message offends me. To that end, McQueen's version is identical. Now that I've seen the other, I know exactly what I'm looking at in the trailer, which, ironically, I had a problem with BEFORE i saw the original material. I wanted to give the new movie the benefit of the doubt, knowing nothing of the original story.

Now that I've seen it, pretty much everything that i feared - and a lot more - is in 12 Years A Slave.

IISANDERII

Trailer looks amazing and yeah I've been a fan of Chiwetel for a while now.
Step back. Like you on a first name basis with him, suddenly he's great and everybody wants to be his friend and those who know him from his previous work now feel like friends with him

Read the script for this one.

From that I think the Schindler's List comparison is completely accurate - the script is very Spielbergian. However you feel about Schindler's List is probably a good indicator of how you'll feel about Twelve Years a Slave.

I think there is going to be plenty of comparisons to Django Unchained, purely from the standpoint of how slavery is portrayed in all its horror and inhumanity. On that front TYAS made Django look like a primary school book report.

Being a huge fan of schindlers list even though Spielberg did bend the truth in it. I cant wait for Twelve years a slave.

Eoin

Not comparing the quality of acting or production values. Steve McQueen's version obviously looks oscar calibre by the standards which hollywood deems movies 'worthy' these days.

This movie's content and message offends me. To that end, McQueen's version is identical. Now that I've seen the other, I know exactly what I'm looking at in the trailer, which, ironically, I had a problem with BEFORE i saw the original material. I wanted to give the new movie the benefit of the doubt, knowing nothing of the original story.

Now that I've seen it, pretty much everything that i feared - and a lot more - is in 12 Years A Slave.
What exactly about the content and message offends you?

Peru

Schindler's List is the most overrated movie ever. No joke.

Actually think it's underrated in certain circles, settings, the kinds I hang in for one thing, people who talk film on the web as well - a lot of film friends treat it as Shawshank Redemption level tripe when I think many forget how well made it was, how modestly it hits the right notes. Except for that one scene everyone remembers with the red coat, which has its use.

I agree, the subject matter is what makes it powerful ....

What a load of shit. Are you trying to tell me that Defiance, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, The Reader, Jakob the Liar etc are all powerful films as well because they're about the Holocaust?

The day Schindler's List is poorly directed is the day the Earth stops spinning.

I agree, the subject matter is what makes it powerful ..... not the direction nor the lead.

The best performers in that movie are Ben Kingsley and Ralph Fiennes.

The subject matter is great and powerful, unfortunately the films is based upon stuff that I as a child would with never dispute but the more I read into it and form my own opinion on it, I get more and more convinced that we have been lied to by the powers of this world. I wont be taking this thread in this direction so I will stop it here.

the direction is indeed pretty good if you ask me and one of Spielbergs best work even if the film is untruthful.

AlexSmash

The subject matter is great and powerful, unfortunately the films is based upon stuff that I as a child would with never dispute but the more I read into it and form my own opinion on it, I get more and more convinced that we have been lied to by the powers of this world. I wont be taking this thread in this direction so I will stop it here.

the direction is indeed pretty good if you ask me and one of Spielbergs best work even if the film is untruthful.
watwatwatwatwatwat?

What the hell are you talking about?

Mastadon

Banned

Jesus wept. Holocaust deniers on GAF? Really?

The trailer is ok and the cast is impressive but I'm pretty wary of american historical movies about racism. They're usually dumb tear-jerkers and completely devoid of dramatic stakes.

I'm pretty sure the problem is that they can't stop themselves from projecting the minds and values of educated, independant black people on the slaves. Maybe the subject matter here will actually force them to be smarter than that.

When we talk about those dehumanized by the institution of slavery, I feel like there is a reductive view of who those people were. I recommend reading first-hand accounts of slavery from people who were actually slaves: Frederik Douglass and Olaudah Equiano are the obvious choices. Now, I agree that one-dimensional, didactic narrative is an annoying trend with films that cover important subject matter, but I don't see the trait of embracing humanity in the perspectives of those historically marginalized as a negative by itself.

Hope you're right. Figured that the disinterest angle is a perspective from McQueen that will probably broaden the appeal of the film. I also really, REALLY like Chiwetel Ejiofor. However, it's tough for me to reconcile - at least as shown in the trailers - that you have a free adult black male with a family, take everything away from him, and there's no hint of simmering RAGE. I mean, even beneath the veneer of playing along, that pure unadulterated defiance is absent.

that's what doesn't sit right with me.

I'm sure it'll be in the film. You know exactly why Hollywood marketing execs wouldn't allow that in the trailer.

And McQueen's family are from the Carribean. The Atlantic slave trade wasn't exclusive to the American South.

In the two films he's made, Steve McQueen has shown himself to be a MUCH better director than Spielberg. Unlike the 'berg, his films have philosophical and personal depth, complexity of characterization, aesthetic daring, acting that cuts deep, and just generally do more than simply spoon-feed the audience everything they need to understand about a movie. Whether the movie is good or no, I simply cannot imagine 12 Years a Slave being the atrocity that Schindler's List is, for I don't think McQueen has it in him to be as outright comtemptful of his audience's intelligence, even if he fails on other fronts. (Seriously, is there anything in "serious" cinema more cringeworthy than the children's choir chiming in as the Nazis liquidate the ghetto? I facepalm just thinking about it.) We'll see, of course, but my gut tells me the comparisons to Schindler's List are likely as shallow as they come and are being made simply because of the similar horror of the subject matter.

First offending transexuals and now holocaust denial shit? Oh you're on a roll today son.

JDSN

Banned

This feels like the natural evolution of your backwards, troglodytic bigot opinions. So no surprises here.

Blader

I think Shame is fine and all but I don't think it's really all that deep or complex. The dialogue is really distractingly shitty too, almost as if McQueen wanted the cast to improv their way through the film but none of them know how.

In the "Best Movies for Pretentious People", I have Shame in the top 5 for 2011

I think Shame is fine and all but I don't think it's really all that deep or complex. The dialogue is really distractingly shitty too, almost as if McQueen wanted the cast to improv their way through the film but none of them know how.

I think it's the minimalism that's a problem, so when he ups the melodrama and you get lines like "I'm trying to help you" and "What are you trying to do to me!?" It's all a little actors work-shoppy. Urgency but with zero context.

Ummm... not it's not? The dialogue is naturalistic, but it also is very incisive and reveals much of their inner life and perspective.

And Shame is not pretentious nor "for pretentious people", unless you totally distort the actual meaning of that word to simply be a slur for intelligent things you don't personally enjoy.

Edit: Melodrama has a definition. "I'm trying to help you" and "What are you trying to do to me" (I'm not even sure if those are lines in the movie) are not melodramatic. I've heard people in life say those phrases countless times. An accurate rendering of personal melodrama is not the same thing as the dramatic situation nor work being melodrama.

The thing I find is that most criticisms of Shame seem to reflect a misunderstanding of what the movie actually is and is communicating.

harSon

Banned
You spelled Gone With the Wind wrong.

I've never been so pissed off watching a movie. Someone should make an alternate version where Mammy rips Scarlet's backbone from her body and proceeds to jam it in Rhet's neck. And as he's slowly bleeding out, Prissy can take a fat shit on his face.

I like Shame! I don't have the nigh-on fanatical adoration you have, but it's a good film. I'm also a bit pretentious, and I'm self-aware about it. I think that could do you some good in the future, snowy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom