• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabris praises the worst dialogue in the industry

traveler

Not Wario
Teknopathetic said:
"The writing in the game your avatar is from actually gives them a decent run for their money."

You can't really call it dialogue, though.

Jade Empire's a low blow, btw. I'm holding out hope for Dragon Age, since they'll finally be writing for an audience with an average age above middle school.

You don't think they're aiming for that with Mass Effect? I mean, not only is it clearly an M-rated title, but they've been pitching the dialogue system as a core component of the game. Not exactly the feature you want to use to sell middle school kids on your game.

methane47

180px-Gears_of_War-Cole.png

"LOOK AT ALL THAT JUICE!!!!!!!!!"

jet1911

traveler said:
You don't think they're aiming for that with Mass Effect? I mean, not only is it clearly an M-rated title, but they've been pitching the dialogue system as a core component of the game. Not exactly the feature you want to use to sell middle school kids on your game.

It's Tek talking about a console game. Don't expect a reasonable comment from him. ;)

"Not even back in SNES/N64 days?"

Rare did Uniracer right? I'll give them that. Everything else was meh-to-bad. Similar to Factor 5 only having Turrican.

Evlar

Banned
traveler said:
I don't honestly know which demographic they're aiming at with their "revolutionary dialogue system" pitch.

Enk

makes good threads.
Wow that was the exact opposite which I was thinking. If anything, Baldur's Gate I and II have shown they have some of, if not the best, written dialogue for an rpg I've ever heard. In fact, that's one of the primary reasons I have grown to respect BioWare so much. Their games are not only deep and polished, but their character's are clearly defined.

Playing their games is one of the few times where I actually cared about the plot as opposed to just fast fowarding through it. When you make a statement like the one in your topic, it shows you haven't played that many games (like jrpgs).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
okay, so obviously the op was being facetious with the "worst dialogue in history" thing. but there are certainly some lines there that could have been easily cleaned up by a decent writer, should they have one on staff.

Yeah, I think this is worse.

But those are genuinely terrible lines. The second example could work if the speaker were ironically poking fun at her (?) early, romantic ideals but I'm not confident that was the intent.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Teknopathetic said:

Rare did Uniracer right? I'll give them that. Everything else was meh-to-bad. Similar to Factor 5 only having Turrican.
Except for DKC2, best game on the SNES, and upon its release was the greatest game yet in the history of mankind.

traveler

Not Wario
Teknopathetic said:

Viva Pinata was the best game on 360 till Bioshock came out.

"Except for DKC2, best game on the SNES, and upon its release was the greatest game yet in the history of mankind."

Man, you're easy to please.

"Viva Pinata was the best game on 360 till Bioshock came out."

That's more telling of 360 than it is Rare.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Teknopathetic said:
"Except for DKC2, best game on the SNES, and upon its release was the greatest game yet in the history of mankind."

Man, you're easy to please.

Indeed, which is why DKC2 was even greater for me. My previous statements were 100% fact, revealed directly by God to humanity. All disagreement is null and void.

Teknopathetic said:

golden eye
perfect dark
banjo
donkey kong country

shall i go on?

Enk

makes good threads.
Except for DKC2, best game on the SNES, and upon its release was the greatest game yet in the history of mankind.

Those are bold fightin words my boy!

*Pulls together Megaman X, FF3, Actraiser, Demon's Crest, Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, etc. in one big gaming orgy hug!*

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
People will complain about anything these days.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
shitty dialogue in an rpg should be complained about. you'll be hearing a lot of it. complaints work under the presumption that if enough people show a distaste for it, maybe things will eventually get better

traveler

Not Wario
beelzebozo said:
shitty dialogue in an rpg should be complained about. you'll be hearing a lot of it. complaints work under the presumption that if enough people show a distaste for it, maybe things will eventually get better

Agreed. It's less forgivable with Western RPGs as well. (For native English speakers that is) I'm just hoping this is solely due to the fact these were trailer lines. Hopefully the majority of dialogue isn't so melodramatic.

Enk

makes good threads.
Nope, sorry. Wrong.

All of those games are great, but not as good as DKC2.

Ok, that's it!

*rolls up sleeves*

Playground, after school Monday! I'll show you what this pirate is made of!

All your base are belong to Enk!

Nope, sorry. Wrong.

All of those games are great, but not as good as DKC2.

Wow crushed....your a une putain stupide infantile :D

And Belez is right, though to be honest concerning Mass Effect specifically, the dialog has always been suspect. In the end, if you're going to blame the writers, blame the actors as well.

EDIT: too harsh.... ::mumble::

J-Rzez

jet1911 said:
Wow... you should not play Gears of War then.

:lol

You wouldn't think it'd be cheaper for Epic to buy a room of monkeys and fill it with typewriters than hiring a real writer, wonder why they did it?

DevelopmentArrested said:
What the fuck is a Canadian hick? Sounds like you have the worst dialogue on Neogaf, douche.

All Canadians are hicks by virtue of Canada lacking anything resembling a national culture and Candians being guileless simpletons.

Mint?

GhaleonEB

"How did you end up serving on an Alliance ship?"
"I enlisted right out of med school. Earth always seemed boring to me. Too safe, too secure. I figured the colonies were teaming with exotic adventure. I wanted to travel the stars, tending the wounds of tough soldiers with piercing eyes and sensitive souls."

I just happened to be checking out some Mass Effect trailers and came across this line. The character who said this said it in a world weary, self-deprecating, and sarcastic manner.

I just think the OP ain't all there.

The Sphinx said:
Twing-twang? You may need to play it.

/slap.gif

I did the official thread silly thing.

And yes, bioshock did have fantastic lines but I'm talking about the quality of delivered lines, the pacing timing and actual acting of the lines...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
see, bioshock had some great writing that was also highly stylized. it managed to never (well, so far as i was concerned anyway) cross the line between stylized and self-parody.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
While Baldur's Gate II is clearly the best rpg ever, and has top class writing, it's not exactly fair to let them ride on that credibility for seven years. Of Bioware's other RPGs, the only one with tolerable writing is KOTOR, and it has its sour aspects like the entire carth character (and kotor 2's writing is better). Baldur's Gate 1's writing is legitimately terrible generic fantasy drivel (but at least the passages are short, so it doesn't really grate on me), NWN1's campaign writing is even worse because it's filled with LONG and painful expository garbage rather than short and to the point garbage, and jade empire, eh well, the writing itself is usually not puke-bad except that it completely fails to capture the essence of its setting.

JRPGs largely fail, I'd wager, by inadequate translation jobs and horrendous voice acting. FFXII's great localization made for a pretty compelling story (well, from the 20 or so hours I played). If other games had that treatment the frequent awkwardness english speakers encounter would probably be addressed to some extent, although it wouldn't save generic effeminate teenager saves the world storylines.

J-Rzez said:
:lol

You wouldn't think it'd be cheaper for Epic to buy a room of monkeys and fill it with typewriters than hiring a real writer, wonder why they did it?
They actually did have a real writer at one point, I think someone who even had a hand in Bioshock, but sometime before release Epic decided that they didn't need a story or characters in order to sell a game about armoured slabs of beef with chainsaws slamming clumsily through a gauntlet of scaly bugmen.

Top Bottom