• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Vita Games Look Like On TV

Nyampoo

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/rt/20130919_616138.html

PlayStation Vita/Vita TV 開発者インタビュー
Interview with the PlayStation Vita/Vita TV developers

--Vita TVの映像出力解像度は?
What's the output relosution of Vita TV?

島田:1080i(インタレース)ですね。ゲームとしては元々964×544です。
Shimada: 1080i. Games are originally rendered at 964x544.

実は既存のVitaにもスケーラーは入っています。964×544のものを引き延ばして表示することもあります。ビデオなどは問題を生みやすいので、720pのフォーマットなら720pで流す、といったことをしています。
In fact, the original Vita (handheld) is equipped with a scaler. Sometimes images are even stretched from 964×544. For video contents, which tend to have problems, it goes 720p for 720p sources.

--新しく特別なスケーラーを乗せたわけでない、と?
So it's nothing new or special when it comes to the scaler.

島田:はい。今回は。
Shimada: No, not this time.

It seems ps1 games are better on a Vita compared to ps3. You can actually suspend the game and do other things at the same time.

That much is true. Just don't expect them to look better. Arguably they're better on a PSP-Go, where you can hibernate games and play other games in the meantime (so long as you don't hibernate those), and which, yes... you can hook up to a TV and use a dual shock 3 with the Go.

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/rt/20130919_616138.html

PlayStation Vita/Vita TV 開発者インタビュー
Interview with the PlayStation Vita/Vita TV developers

--Vita TVの映像出力解像度は?
What's the output relosution of Vita TV?

島田:1080i(インタレース)ですね。ゲームとしては元々964×544です。
Shimada: 1080i. Games are originally rendered at 964x544.

実は既存のVitaにもスケーラーは入っています。964×544のものを引き延ばして表示することもあります。ビデオなどは問題を生みやすいので、720pのフォーマットなら720pで流す、といったことをしています。
In fact, the original Vita (handheld) is equipped with a scaler. Sometimes images are even stretched from 964×544. For video contents, which tend to have problems, it goes 720p for 720p sources.

--新しく特別なスケーラーを乗せたわけでない、と?
So it's nothing new or special when it comes to the scaler.

島田:はい。今回は。
Shimada: No, not this time.

Oh, OK. Good to know.

So this is pretty tempting but on the other hand buying an actual vita will allow for PS4 remote play which is also a cool feature. I really need to decide which one I'm getting lol.

cyborg009

Banned
Link pls?

My screens from the demo

d6rr0Qs.jpg

tvJZSvz.jpg

Skeff

How can you guys tell the quality of something from a off screen video?

It won't look that good in a real situation since the vita resolution is 1/4 of 1080P, and even lower for non native res games.

Same resolution as Black ops on PS3 (544p), doubt it will be a problem.

You guys see this?

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/09/21/son...-vita-tv/?post=1&icid=joystiq_home_latest_art

Sony is "very encouraged" by the Western response to its Vita TV, the device that will be capable of playing Vita games and streaming PS4 games, Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Andrew House told Eurogamer on Friday. The Vita TV is currently only planned for release in Japan on November 14, with later releases reaching China and South Korea.

House explained that Sony is launching the Vita TV in Japan first because "there is no existing competitor in the region for the device, whereas streaming media boxes in the West are more commonplace."

In a separate interview, Sony Japan executive Masayasu Ito noted that the company would have to "watch the environment and identify what other services are available" before they decide to launch the Vita TV in the US or Europe. Until Sony makes their decision, you can take the pre-emptive route and see which Vita games are planned to be supported by the Vita TV. If it remains in Japan for eternity, however, well... there's always the Super Game Boy.

BadWolf

Very impressed, would look great on my asus monitor.

Still trying to decide between this and a Vita to play my accumulating PS+ collection.

You guys see this?

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/09/21/son...-vita-tv/?post=1&icid=joystiq_home_latest_art

Sony is "very encouraged" by the Western response to its Vita TV, the device that will be capable of playing Vita games and streaming PS4 games, Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Andrew House told Eurogamer on Friday. The Vita TV is currently only planned for release in Japan on November 14, with later releases reaching China and South Korea.

House explained that Sony is launching the Vita TV in Japan first because "there is no existing competitor in the region for the device, whereas streaming media boxes in the West are more commonplace."

In a separate interview, Sony Japan executive Masayasu Ito noted that the company would have to "watch the environment and identify what other services are available" before they decide to launch the Vita TV in the US or Europe. Until Sony makes their decision, you can take the pre-emptive route and see which Vita games are planned to be supported by the Vita TV. If it remains in Japan for eternity, however, well... there's always the Super Game Boy.

It's a given that this will launch in the west, is their really anyone questioning that?

nekomix

I played GBA games on a 102 cm TV and it was not bad at all, so I'm not impressed :| It just upscales x4 the picture, there's much worse.

I would play Persona 4 Golden on that.

But I wouldn't pay another $100 just for Persona 4 Golden. Make with the (original, non-port, non-multiplat) games (that I can't play on any other device than a Vita), somebody.

I am still morally opposed to what Sony is doing with memory card prices, but yeah, this looks awesome.

Oh, if only I could transfer the last couple of "Not on PSN™" UMDs I had to digital versions.

Why not? The PS3 looks and plays great on it (its the Evo monitor).

Its also 23 inches, which is smaller than the TVs used in the OP vids.

I tried using the PS3 on my full HD 22" LG monitor and games that were below 720p like Resistance 3 or Yakuza were incredibly blurry. Even 720p games don't look that hot. Monitors show no mercy to video below native resolution.

BadWolf

I tried using the PS3 on my full HD 22" LG monitor and games that were below 720p like Resistance 3 or Yakuza were incredibly blurry. Even 720p games don't look that hot. Monitors show no mercy to video below native resolution.

Haven't experienced anything like that on the asus tbh, everything works great.

Top Bottom