• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Vita Games Look Like On TV

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So people are looking forward to buying a handheld entertainment device, one which is capable of playing video games on its own screen, to play games on their TV?

I must've missed something, or I am just happy with playing what games I own on the PS Vita.

The device is for literally everyone. It covers every single base except for being a computer.

It's a Set Top Box, it's a Microconsole, PS4 Streamer, it's a Vita. For example, I plan on buying this for my sisters, they'll finally have a legit games console. I plan on buying one for my parents, they need a Set Top Box for the Living Room. And I plan on buying one for myself, to put my PS4 games on another TV, also, playing all of my Vita games on it.

Devices can cater to more than one audience.

It probably helps it has exactly half 1080p resolution - if they opted to just drop the extra 4 pixels.
It's probably why the Vita screen is the resolution it is. HD sizes scale very nicely.

I do wonder if they're doing something above and beyond a simple upscale, like recognizing vector elements and rendering those at native res. That might explain why the text in the first video looks fairly crisp, while the 3D world looks noticeably non-native. If Danganronpa also has, say, high-res character portraits, those could also be rendered at native, explaining why those also look pretty sharp. Knowing absolutely nothing about this sort of thing, though, I have no idea if this functionality is possible to graft onto Vita TV (or if perhaps Sony anticipated the need for a Vita TV long ago and gave the platform the necessary flexibility to target multiple resolutions).

The VTV and PSV don't need to have the EXACT same firmware. The baseline OS will always be the same though.

vazel

Banned
Are you people serious? Judging PQ based on off screen footage from youtube...

If you want to get an idea of how Vita games will look on your HDTV then play Resistance 3, it has about the same resolution as a Vita.

Eusis

If you want to get an idea of how Vita games will look on your HDTV then play Resistance 3, it has about the same resolution as a Vita.
Huh, I tried the demo recently when I found the Move for cheap. Guess I don't have much to worry about! Other than the fact the relative crispness on the Vita screen will spoil me, and the fact you're talking about NATIVE resolution Vita games when there's plenty of sub-native resolution ones already.

Still, while the PSP looked kinda of bad that not only had the "spoiled by PSP crispness" angle but also the fact it was about the resolution of NES-PS1 crammed into a tiny rectangle that you likely couldn't get to fill the whole TV screen, and even if you did pre-Dreamcast resolution. This will absolutely fare better by being over 480p and actually filling the screen this time.

I think they'll look more or less like Wii games upscaled by WiiU (i.e. quite satisfying on a not too big tv), maybe a little better due to better color depth and shaders.

Eusis

I think they'll look more or less like Wii games upscaled by WiiU (i.e. quite satisfying on a not too big tv), maybe a little better due to better color depth and shaders.
That's probably how the non-native resolution games will look, with native resolution looking more like some current-gen titles running at lower fidelity, notably later release.

Tohsaka

Really tempted to import one since there's no release window for the US, but Amiami sold out and I'm sure Play-Asia is overcharging.

Already own a Vita. But those just sold me on a Vita TV when it inevitably comes out in US.

I knew cartridges weren't a completely stupid idea on my part.

Soul Sacrifice Delta which is probably non native res(SS1 was 720x408) looked great on tv in that video. Definetly not a blurry mess like some people feared with non native res games.

Soul Sacrifice Delta which is probably non native res(SS1 was 720x408) looked great on tv in that video. Definetly not a blurry mess like some people feared with non native res games.

Yeah, Soul Sac and God Eater 2 are both sub-native res. I thought they looked great on the Vita TV.

Eusis

These things ALWAYS look better through a recording than in real life (though if we were still on CRTs that probably wouldn't be the case.) Wouldn't surprise me if some off TV videos of PSP games run on HDTVs looked way better than they do in person.

... Actually, if someone can run a PSP game through Vita TV that'd probably prove or disprove my point anyway.

EDIT: Nevermind subjectivity. Some are just fine with how Wii games look on an HDTV and even think many still look great, some think they look like hot garbage and are completely unbearable. Then there's a few who couldn't tell the difference between a proper HD game and a Wii game, but I would assume something was up there whether it was eyesight, poor TV setup, or contrasting the best of Wii with the worst of PS3/360.

elektrixx

Banned
So people are looking forward to buying a handheld entertainment device, one which is capable of playing video games on its own screen, to play games on their TV?

I must've missed something, or I am just happy with playing what games I own on the PS Vita.

When I'm not at home I'm busy or drunk. I have no reason for portable gaming.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I need this thing!!!

Yep, they looked very crisp, which I'm surprised at.

Will someone Tweet Yoshida and ask him if I import a VTV will it be compatible with the European PSN store? Surely they'll have a filter for it in Japan so that people can only see the games that are compatible?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why did you have to show me daganronpa's awesomeness? :(
I have almost forgot it, now i can't wait again :(

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Not that surprising considering native res Vita games are close to many sub HD PS3 games.

Of course Vita has dem non native res games too. Hopefully starting to be a dying breed. Resolution is king now with Vita TV.

Those are PS1 and PSP games I've added. Look at the post I'm answering, which is directly above.

Vashetti

Banned
Whoah, colour me impressed. I was expecting black borders around the edges and a blurry mess.

Do we know if the Vita/Vita TV has scaling hardware because this looks great.

Fistwell

Super lttp but holy fuck. I 100% believed it'd look like shit (I still have nightmares about tha tone time I hooked up my psp to my tv). That looks totally fine and playable, which is, like, unexpected!!

Looks better than I was expecting and I wasn't expecting much.

I still haven't got around to playing Persona 4: Golden due to time constraints but now I am waiting for some comfy couch gaming.

FlyFaster

wait, lemme see if I go this right?

- monster hunter frontier G out for vita
- vita tv
- new console monster hunter

I'm OK with this.

Takao

Banned
With more content on the PS3 too I believe.

Apparently it'll be the same game on Vita, it's just that it won't share all of the servers (supposedly called "worlds") with PS3, just some. That confusion sparked the "Vita version is missing content" comments.

For people who can't afford either a PS4 or a Vita, people who want to use another TV to play their PS4s on when the main TV is being used and people who want a cheaper alternative for watching Youtube, Netflix or streaming PS3/PS2 games through Gaikai. And of course, people who want to play Vita/PSP games on the TV.

It also gives devs a bigger incentive to support the Vita.

But that's pretty much exactly the niche the PS3 already inhabits, with a vastly superior library and blu ray player. I don't get who's going to choose this instead, outside of a few enthusiasts. "People who want to play Vita games on their TV" is a subset of "people who want to play Vita," which has not proven to be a viable audience outside Japan.

But that's pretty much exactly the niche the PS3 already inhabits, with a vastly superior library and blu ray player. I don't get who's going to choose this instead, outside of a few enthusiasts. "People who want to play Vita games on their TV" is a subset of "people who want to play Vita," which has not proven to be a viable audience outside Japan.

I think it's more "people who'd buy a Vita if it was $100," which isn't really a subset of the current Vita install base. I don't think it's a very large audience in any case, but the price is the real difference here.

I've played Crash on my friends PS3 and it didn't look that crisp. I meant the quality of the video is low by the way ;)

do not expect this to make PS1 games look better than they do an a PS3. they're going to run at the exact same resolution.

native Vita games should look okay compared to a lot of sub 720p modern console games, many of which look okay (though far from sharp).

I think it's more "people who'd buy a Vita if it was $100," which isn't really a subset of the current Vita install base. I don't think it's a very large audience in any case, but the price is the real difference here.

the PS3 isn't $100 either, (or $150 dollars if you need the controller and mem card).

Remote play extender.

low power low heat unitrutisive media box.

for people like myself who get pretty fatigued playing handheld games for more than a few hour bursts.

Kids first console, much more damage proof too.

Bombless

I want to play Vita games. I don't want a portable console. This was made for me. Thanks Sony! (now announce the European release pls!).

Wow... Soul Sacrifice looks pretty great. I figured it'd be one game that would look awful blown up.

Color me impressed.

*looks at avatar*

fry-eyes.gif

ALM5252

I really want to see how Uncharted and Gravity Rush look on the Vita TV, assuming they would be made compatible some way.

I hope this comes state side, I would buy one or even two! One for me and one for my parents. They want something like a Roku for Streaming stuff. All they have is the Wii at the moment.

Top Bottom