• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/15 - 10/21 2007

Jokeropia

perfectchaos007 said:
Because Cheesemeister says so. Or else he would post famitsu
Like Joshua said, Media-Create was chosen by GAF primarily for it's speed, not it's accuracy. Whenever there's a significant discrepancy between MC and Famitsu/Enterbrain it's probably a good idea to make note of it and assume the truth is somewhere in between.

Obaid

Banned
i wish they realse Z&W on ps2 so i can play it on my ps3 :D They would sell a lot of Z&W to the ps3 audience with BC :lol

Obaid said:
i wish they realse Z&W on ps2 so i can play it on my ps3 :D They would sell a lot of Z&W to the ps3 audience with BC :lol

Hmmm. Great idea. Would you like to share with us how the gameplay mechanics would work on the PS2?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Pureauthor said:
Do we really need to discuss why ZnW bombed? I could've given you the laundry list of reasons why it would tank saleswise the day after it was announced.

In the USA it will be a huge failure also, you can quote me on that.

Actually, I said it many times already, this is just me reiterating my viewpoint that it will be a huge failure.

kurosawa

Rancid Mildew said:
That's the part that worries me the most.

I can't be certain since I'm not privy to the inner workings of the big third party developers but I'd imagine that Zack and Wiki is the first litmus test (and the only one on the horizon?) that they would use to decide whether or not they should green light original projects for the Wii. I suppose games like Crystal Bearers and Umbrella Chronicles will still sell tremendously well but that's only because they carry the Final Fantasy and Resident Evil name. I can't imagine how a Square or Capcom executive could endorse an original product for the Wii if games like Zack and Wiki bomb.

If the Wii stays a cesspool of cheap cash ins and spin offs with once in a blue moon 1st party genius, the only one to blame is Nintendo. They should definitely take notice of what's been happening in the west. Original efforts like Gears of War did not become phenomenal hits without any assistance. Of course, Nintendo probably just doesn't care since they are rolling in cash with virtually no help from third parties.

What puzzles me is that GAF tends to be a representation of gamers worldwide by cheering everything that is "recycled", from Nights 2 to SF4 and ignore, at least until some new IP is successful, everything else.
Here, in a comunity of gamers, in the day Zack & Wiki launched in the US, even with all that campaigns "buy Z&W", there were people asking what was that all about and if it was worth it. Imagine this, on a worldwide scale and with much less curiosity to find something new.
Oh, and show me a new IP that did great on sales this year.

Hcoregamer00

kurosawa said:
What puzzles me is that GAF tends to be a representation of gamers worldwide by cheering everything that is "recycled", from Nights 2 to SF4 and ignore, at least until some new IP is successful, everything else.
Here, in a comunity of gamers, in the day Zack & Wiki launched in the US, even with all that campaigns "buy Z&W", there were people asking what was that all about and if it was worth it. Imagine this, on a worldwide scale and with much less curiosity to find something new.

Bioshock? (unless you are talking about Japan only)

Stormbringer said:
For information, at least, Nintendo are publishing Z&W in Europe.

Really? That's great news, if they give it the same treatment as they did Trauma Center (which had a decent marketing push with some nice adverts) and keep the budget price then it could see some deserved sales. I think its a title that has potential to sell *if* it is marketed well, and NOE seem to be quite good at that nowadays.

jarrod

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
That's the part that worries me the most.

I can't be certain since I'm not privy to the inner workings of the big third party developers but I'd imagine that Zack and Wiki is the first litmus test (and the only one on the horizon?) that they would use to decide whether or not they should green light original projects for the Wii. I suppose games like Crystal Bearers and Umbrella Chronicles will still sell tremendously well but that's only because they carry the Final Fantasy and Resident Evil name. I can't imagine how a Square or Capcom executive could endorse an original product for the Wii if games like Zack and Wiki bomb.

If the Wii stays a cesspool of cheap cash ins and spin offs with once in a blue moon 1st party genius, the only one to blame is Nintendo. They should definitely take notice of what's been happening in the west. Original efforts like Gears of War did not become phenomenal hits without any assistance. Of course, Nintendo probably just doesn't care since they are rolling in cash with virtually no help from third parties.
I wouldn't worry about it honestly... Capcom's had multiple original IP bombs on PS2 (auto modellista, Chaos Legion, Everblue, Haunting Ground, Glass Rose, God Hand, Okami, Beastdown, Shadow of Rome, Under the Skin, Maximo, etc, etc), but that didn't keep them from continually trying on the platform or even from trying again with sequels to some of these games. Market forces alone mean Wii's going to get more chances from Capcom than just Z&W.

What's this game's performance will impact is the future of the core team that made it. 2 bombs in a row isn't a good sign. :(

enishi

Hcoregamer00 said:

If you count Japan only, this one:
Laytonbox.jpg

~ 600k up to now, and the 2nd one is coming soon

kurosawa

Hcoregamer00 said:

I'm talking generally, although Japan seems like the worst case scenario.

I just want to make a ratio sucess/new ips on console games.

tehbear

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales

. 15,000 PS3 Imabikisou
. . 6,000 PS3 The Eye of Judgement

Imabikisou, worst non-game for the PS3 in a while. This 3DO styled game play didn't fly before, I am surprised as hell it even does 15k now. The pulse of the JPN PS3 owner is still a mixture of disappointment and befuddlement.

Totally insufficient EoJ spin in this thread! I'll take a stab though. Anyone expected something with so much setup time to succeed much? Even without the eye setup, card scanning, it's not like card games on console/PC do that well (all 3 or 4 titles that gets released). You had to be a combination tech lover and card game lover to eat this one up. It's biggest appeal, multiplayer, treads on some unfamiliar and unfriendly territory in Japan. Without portable adhoc goodness of the PSP, this was doomed to niche status. As much as I applaud the innovation, this should have been a niche title released with some big games to round out the library, not one of the few PS3 releases of the month.

Hcoregamer00

kurosawa said:
I'm talking generally, although Japan seems like the worst case scenario.

I just want to make a ratio sucess/new ips on console games.

Well, the reason why Layton and Bioshock was a huge success was because of amazing advertising.

If Nintendo pushed Z&W half as much as Layton, then the game would have likely gotten sales it deserved.

brain_stew said:
Really? That's great news, if they give it the same treatment as they did Trauma Center (which had a decent marketing push with some nice adverts) and keep the budget price then it could see some deserved sales. I think its a title that has potential to sell *if* it is marketed well, and NOE seem to be quite good at that nowadays.

That's precisely what I thought. We will see, but I think there is some potential here.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales

100,000 NDS Final Fantasy Tactics A2
. 50,000 PS2 Ar Tonelico 2
. 15,000 PS2 God of War 2
. 15,000 PS3 Imabikisou
. 10,000 NDS Code Geass
. . 8,000 WII Ghost Squad
. . 6,000 NDS Winning Eleven DS
. . 6,000 WII Takarajima Z (Zack and Wiki)
. . 6,000 PS3 The Eye of Judgement
. . 5,000 PS2 Fivb Volley Worldcup
. . 4,000 NDS Gurren Lagann
. . 4,000 PS2 Hitman Reborn!!
. . 4,000 PS2 Balder Bullet
. . 4,000 WII Gintama
. . 3,000 NDS Apathy
. . 3,000 PS2 Virtual-On
. . 3,000 360 Bladestorm
. . 1,500 WII DDR Hottest Party
. . 1,000 NDS Dungeon Maker

wow wow wow

Good for FFTA2, but bad for Zack and Wiki. This game deserved to sell well.

Eteric Rice

Again, I think Japandland is switching over to handhelds. Consoles are losing major ground.

Poor Z&W, though. Maybe over time it'll make it's money back.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why do people keep saying "good for FFTA2"? I think that's ambiguous at best. FFTA sold 225k first week for a total 450k. Presumably people want FFTA2 to improve on FFTA and I'm not sure these numbers really indicate that. Obviously it's not a megabomba and I'm sure it'll do at least 180-220k first week, but I doubt it'll improve on FFTA.

kurosawa said:

From the terrible name to the lack of generated hype, there just isn't enough draw, even for the informed buyer to jump with the product. I suppose the fact that it comes from an unpopular genre mitigates that slightly but even I, a follower of point and click adventures would not be paying much attention if IGN didn't do anything. That tells me that Nintendo and Capcom just didn't do enough to promote the product. I never expected it to be even a half-million seller globally but at the very least, there should be enough marketing where I can know what the game is and when it's coming out without help from a game review website. At least on this message board, IGN has done more than Capcom and Nintendo combined ten times over.

I suppose new IPs seem to be a dying trend but that does not excuse one of the poorest marketing disasters for an excellent game ever. Besides, MS has shown that marketing can popularize new IPs.

jarrod said:
I wouldn't worry about it honestly... Capcom's had multiple original IP bombs on PS2 (auto modellista, Chaos Legion, Everblue, Haunting Ground, Glass Rose, God Hand, Okami, Beastdown, Shadow of Rome, Under the Skin, Maximo, etc, etc), but that didn't keep them from continually trying on the platform or even from trying again with sequels to some of these games. Market forces alone mean Wii's going to get more chances from Capcom than just Z&W.

What's this game's performance will impact is the future of the core team that made it. 2 bombs in a row isn't a good sign. :(

Do you really think so? MS is a company that is willing to finance and market exclusives (though perhaps not so much anymore) and the PS2 is still selling third party software better than the Wii in Japan. If anything, I'd imagine that market forces are working against the Wii at least in the short term.

nli10

Rancid Mildew said:
From the terrible name to the lack of generated hype, there just isn't enough draw, even for the informed buyer to jump with the product. I suppose the fact that it comes from an unpopular genre mitigates that slightly but even I, a follower of point and click adventures would not be paying much attention if IGN didn't do anything. That tells me that Nintendo and Capcom just didn't do enough to promote the product. I never expected it to be even a half-million seller globally but at the very least, there should be enough marketing where I can know what the game is and when it's coming out without help from a game review website. At least on this message board, IGN has done more than Capcom and Nintendo combined ten times over.

'All' they need to do is do an advert that says "from the makers of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney" and show that it has a similar storybook style progression and that it's a budget title and it will sell decently.

Don't think its a 'Day 1' kind of title, although I know Japan loves to be first to play things. This could sell well into the Xmas period if it is positioned right.

It's my personal opinion that when a great game bombs out hard, it's always a marketing problem. You can make all the excuses in the world, but if the game is fun to play, it should sell if you find a way to get the market for it to notice.

Look at Katamari Damacy in NA. It couldn't have been more of a quirky, weird, mismatched to the market title, but they packaged it right, for the right price, to the right people and it was a bigger seller here than in Japan.

Zack & Wiki is a marketing failure. You can say that it seemed obvious it wouldn't sell from the get-go, and it did have a lot of obstacles to be sure, but Phoenix Wright alone should be enough to buck any of those excuses. Find a way to sell it.

jarrod

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
Do you really think so? MS is a company that is willing to finance and market exclusives (though perhaps not so much anymore) and the PS2 is still selling third party software better than the Wii in Japan. If anything, I'd imagine that market forces are working against the Wii at least in the short term.
PS2's winding down, 360's DOA and Wii's assurred to be the first place console by a huge margin in Japan. If Wii has to look out for anything, it's DS eating the market wholesale.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
jarrod said:
PS2's winding down, 360's DOA and Wii's assurred to be the first place console by a huge margin in Japan. If Wii has to look out for anything, it's DS eating the market wholesale.

And the PS3 is the HD console to buy in Japan. That does account for something. Regular console games will be PS2 and Wii. HD console games will be bought on the PS3.

jarrod

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
And the PS3 is the HD console to buy in Japan. That does account for something. Regular console games will be PS2 and Wii. HD console games will be bought on the PS3.
I guess. :lol

mckmas8808 said:

something something special olympics something something

Grecco

Obaid said:

Just like those PS2 Fans were sure to buy Okami amirite?

Sharp

PhoenixDark said:
So what's the spin on Z&W's poor performance?
I think the spin is, "we said 'bomba' the moment it was announced," but I'm not totally sure because I haven't been keeping up with this thread.

Xellos

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's my personal opinion that when a great game bombs out hard, it's always a marketing problem. You can make all the excuses in the world, but if the game is fun to play, it should sell if you find a way to get the market for it to notice.

Look at Katamari Damacy in NA. It couldn't have been more of a quirky, weird, mismatched to the market title, but they packaged it right, for the right price, to the right people and it was a bigger seller here than in Japan.

Zack & Wiki is a marketing failure. You can say that it seemed obvious it wouldn't sell from the get-go, and it did have a lot of obstacles to be sure, but Phoenix Wright alone should be enough to buck any of those excuses. Find a way to sell it.

Nail --> Head

Obviously I don't know how the game was marketed in Japan, but if it's anything like Z&W's US marketing then this should come as no surprise. Over here, Matt Cassamassina has done more to promote Z&W than Capcom's marketing department. That says it all, really.

kurosawa said:
What puzzles me is that GAF tends to be a representation of gamers worldwide by cheering everything that is "recycled", from Nights 2 to SF4

Two sequels being released for games that are a decade old is a pretty sketchy definition of "recycled," dude.

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's my personal opinion that when a great game bombs out hard, it's always a marketing problem.

Yup. (Though it's worth noting that "marketing" does include elements of the game itself, like its tone, length, etc.) The only exception is really when people spend too much on a game in a dead genre, which I don't think happened here -- I doubt this game's budget was that high.

Z&W is a game that you want to find the exact market that's most suited to picking up the game, and blitz the fuck out of them. (You also really don't want to release the game at a time when there's even a remote chance that people have anything else they might want to play.) ASH was the same way: it's a game that has a built-in market (SRPG players) but it didn't even sell to them because nobody knew about any of the game's actual selling points or even what it looked like.

This really all goes back to my point from two weeks ago: Nintendo doesn't have any skills at marketing games to dedicated gamers. They know how to sell LCD stuff like Brain Training; they know how to show off something that's amazing and people will want for that reason, like SMG; they have no clue how to connect a niche title with the niche buyers who would enjoy it.

31./33. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo)
32./00. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf 5 (Sony)
33./30. [WII] Mario Strikers Charged (Nintendo)
34./31. [NDS] Brain Age (Nintendo)
35./00. [PS3] Spider-Man 3 (Activision)
36./32. [NDS] English Test DS (Rocket Co.)
37./26. [NDS] Namco Museum DS (Bandai-Namco)
38./00. [PS2] Neo-Geo Online Collection: World Heroes Gorgeous (SNK Playmore)
39./34. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 3 (Capcom)
40./00. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force 2 (Konami)
41./00. [PS2] Palais de Reine (Interchannel-Holon)
42./35. [PS3] The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Spike)
43./00. [PS2] Spider-Man 3 (Activision)
44./44. [NDS] English Training (Nintendo)
45./37. [NDS] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (Square-Enix)
46./39. [NDS] Home Teacher Hitman Reborn! DS: Flame Rumble 2 (Takara-Tomy)
47./00. [NDS] Fashionable Puppy DS (MTO)
48./38. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo)
49./05. [PS2] Arcana Heart (AQ Interactive)
50./46. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)

NDS - 27
PS2 - 8
PSP - 5
WII - 5
PS3 - 4
360 - 1

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -    70,608 |    78,746 | 5,727,345 | 19,733,024
2. PSP   -    58,669 |    59,584 | 2,066,468 |  6,598,597
3. WII   -    24,932 |    20,575 | 2,760,765 |  3,680,408
4. PS3   -    17,130 |    12,365 |   752,425 |  1,209,983
5. PS2   -    10,281 |    10,181 |   627,823 | 20,782,682
6. 360   -     3,011 |     6,161 |   161,508 |    426,210
7. GBA   -       270 |       187 |    48,556 | 15,346,635
8. NGC   -        48 |        79 |    10,021 |  4,179,489
GBA = 22 GBA + 130 SP + 118 Micro
NDS = 0 DS + 70,608 Lite

s_20071015.png

jarrod said:

Well, I think we're going to get significantly better support for the Wii since it will open a wide lead especially after this Christmas but I'm concerned about the state of original and unique efforts for the system. Zack and Wiki is the first of its kind and it might be the only one for a very long while. I'm not content with the Wii just getting exclusives. Fewer games based on the Wii's unique attributes means a weaker library in my opinion. With these terrible sales, I'm almost certain third parties will shy away from original Wii ideas and instead, merely work around the controller instead of with it.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
:lol Japan has done it now, they successfully pissed of the Sony, Microsoft and nintendo fans. Good thing I suppose that Japanese developers are looking to the west for sales these days.

Vinnk

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

"Vinnk's Village" Anecdotal Report

It’s been almost 2 months since my last “report”. Frankly there just wasn’t much to talk about. But I decided to do one this week anyway, I hope you find it useful or at least enjoy it.

This week I wasn’t asked to look for anything but I checked on Wii, PS3, Takarajima Z (Zack and Wiki), Eye of Judgment and Final Fantasy Tactics A2. I visited the stores on Thursday, October 25th, 2007.

Jusco
Wii: 3
PS3: 7
Takarajima Z: 1
Eye of Judgment: 3
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: 2

Youme Town
Wii: 4
PS3: 10
Takarajima Z: Sold or never ordered
Eye of Judgment: 2
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: 3

Mr. Max
Wii: 3
PS3: Possibly stopped selling it, haven’t seen one in months.
Takarajima Z: Never even heard of it
Eye of Judgment: 2
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Sold out

Book-Net
Wii: 2
PS3: 8
Takarajima Z: Sold out or never ordered it
Eye of Judgment: 6
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Sold out

Goody
Wii: Sold out
PS3: 2
Takarajima Z: Didn’t get it
Eye of Judgment: None
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: 1

Best Denki
Wii: 6
PS3: 17
Eye of Judgment: 8
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: 4

Wanpaku
Wii: 2
PS3: 6
Eye of Judgment: 9
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: 3

Famicom Dojo
Wii: 1
PS3: 1!
Takarajima Z: Just my copy
Eye of Judgment: Didn’t order it
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: 1

Yamada Denki
Wii: 5
PS3: 13
Takarajima Z: 2
Eye of Judgment: 16
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: 8

TOTALS:
Wii: 26
PS3: 64
Takarajima Z: 5
Eye of Judgment: 46
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: 22

NOTES:

1. Since about mid-August the Wii has not been supply constrained. You won’t see tall stacks of them here like you will in Osaka or Tokyo, but if you want one you can get one. Retailers do still seem to be ordering them though, likely saving up for the holidays.

2. DS is not supply constrained. You still might have to go to a few stores to find your perfect color, but in general anyone can get a DS who wants one. I didn’t count individual units anymore because there is no longer a point in doing so. I will count them again around the holidays. Or earlier if something changes that would make those numbers worthwhile or interesting. Same goes for the PSP.

3. There is some Super Mario Galaxy hype. A few kiosks have been put up but compared to the massive hype for Final Fantasy 7:CC it is quite small. I am actually surprised by the small amount of advertising in the game stores.

4. The game and electronics stores are really putting the PS3 front and center, and are making a big deal out of the price cut. Seems they are trying to move units before the new model arrives. I was surprised to se several brand new 20gig models. I thought they were all sold out long ago, seems they were just being kept in back rooms.

5. There might be more Wii and PS3 systems than I am reporting. I count what is on the floor, in the display cases and on the back shelves that I can see, but stores might have more systems in backrooms out of view.

6. There are a lot of Eye of Judgment boxes sitting unsold. It might just appear like a lot because the boxes are bigger than normal PS3 games, but it really seems like the stores ordered too many. Then again it’s only the first day.

7. Takarajima Z can’t be found at several stores but I don’t believe it is because they sold out. Rather I believe some of the stores never ordered any to begin with. I can confirm that at least 2 stores never ordered it. Also, Famicom Dojo would not have had it at all if not for my pre-order.

8. This week the local Otaku are, of course, talking about Mario, but more than that they seem particularly interested in the new Nights game. This one girl was telling me about her fondness for the Saturn version and said she was buying a Wii for this game alone. I wonder if she will sell it right away once she beats it?

9. Longtime “Vinnk’s Village” readers might remember “Old Reliable” the Playstation 3 at Famicom Dojo that I became kind of attached to. It was a constant fixture in Hiro’s shop from launch until someone bought it last May. Well, it’s back! The man who bought the system has sold it back to Hiro. He also sold back the 2 Gundam games he bought with it as well as FolksSoul and Minna no Golf. Hiro told me that at first he didn’t want to take it back because he had such a hard time getting rid of it in the first place, but the guy eventually sold it to him for a fraction of what he paid for it.

Previous Reports:

September 6th, 2007
August 30th, 2007
August 11th,2007
July 26th, 2007
July 19th, 2007
July 12th, 2007
July 5th, 2007
June 28th, 2007
June 21st, 2007
June 14th, 2007
June 7th, 2007
May 30th, 2007
May 24th, 2007
May 17th, 2007
May 10th, 2007

Jokeropia

Awesome Vinnk, thanks! Your impressions seem to support the assumption that Zack and Wiki had a pretty low initial shipment, does anyone know how large it was?

Also, can you see how many of the available Wiis come with the new Wiimote jackets?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jokeropia said:
Awesome Vinnk, thanks! Your impressions seem to support the assumption that Zack and Wiki had a pretty low initial shipment, does anyone know how large it was?

Nothing mentioned on Sinobi, so it's unlikely anyone has the info.

Edit: It's also worth noting that Sinobi is echoing the EDGE "Virtual Handheld" thing, citing "Gigazine", who cite EDGE. Hahaha.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I wonder what PES 2008 will do for the PS3 in Japan. It will really interesting to see how it sells compared to the PS2 also.

I comes out 11/22 right? Should pull in a lot of sports fans in Japan who havent yet made the leap into HD.

Vinnk said:
3. There is some Super Mario Galaxy hype. A few kiosks have been put up but compared to the massive hype for Final Fantasy 7:CC it is quite small. I am actually surprised by the small amount of advertising in the game stores.
Hm, this is a bit disconcerting.

Scum

Vinnk said:
"Vinnk's Village" Anecdotal Report
9. Longtime “Vinnk’s Village” readers might remember “Old Reliable” the Playstation 3 at Famicom Dojo that I became kind of attached to. It was a constant fixture in Hiro’s shop from launch until someone bought it last May. Well, it’s back! The man who bought the system has sold it back to Hiro. He also sold back the 2 Gundam games he bought with it as well as FolksSoul and Minna no Golf. Hiro told me that at first he didn’t want to take it back because he had such a hard time getting rid of it in the first place, but the guy eventually sold it to him for a fraction of what he paid for it.

Previous Reports:

Good God! It's Old Reliable! But poor old Hiro's going to have quite a bit of a time selling it again! Maybe he should just coat it in Ceramic White paint... ;-/

Top Bottom