• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Custom Levels Pre-launch warm-up

dfyb

Banned
for those who don't keep up with the smash thread, you'll be pleased to know that brawl will have a level editor. details can be found here: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various10.html

various10_071029f-l.jpg

various10_071029i-l.jpg

the game's obviously not out yet, so we can't actually create levels yet. but someone has created a flash utility that emulates the brawl level editor, so we can at least start to play around with ideas for playable levels. creating cute pictures with the level editor is nice, but i think it would be better to see more playable ideas in these potential levels. the other thread is for dojo updates and there were a lot of levels being posted, so here's a thread for custom levels created with the flash utility.

a link to that can be found here: http://mntorankusu.googlepages.com/brawlstageeditor.html

some examples i created:
TheShaft.png

PressureCooker.png

WhatGoesDown.png

dfyb

Banned
i realize it's kinda pointless to put all of these in the OP. maybe we'll limit the OP to some of GAF's favorites

Scribble

5x5xcow.jpg

The point is to fight in the centre, and try to smash opponent through the bottom exit. They will then need to use the moving platforms to get back up. The other guys can then climb up the ladder and try to stop the guy from getting back in the centre or something. A level best played by four players. Needs tweaking, of course.

BuG

I'll be honest, the platforms and such I simply put in to make it look like I put some thought into it. It's really just supposed to be a rectum and the only way to knock an enemy out of the arena is to shoot them out of the anus.

65zb7dh.jpg

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I think the blue blocks are suppose to be ice... I assume that when the characters walk on them they'll slip around.

Here is the one I posted in the other thread:

cheezland_smashbrosstage.jpg

If you were knocked off the top-right part of the stage, you might be able to save yourself by landing on the moving platform at the bottom-right. Then you'd have to try make it all the way across all the other moving platforms to get yourself back up on the stage.. (You wouldn't have any room to jump between them due to the spikes... you'd have to time it perfectly and walk across!) And it'll get much more interesting if someone is on the other side, perhaps shooting projectiles at you. :)

Crocodile

You people love your spikes don't you? I feel overall people should tone it down with the spikes. They seem to be all over the place.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
BuG said:
Print Screen -> Paint -> Crop -> Save -> Tinypic.com, asshole.

Just was hoping there was an easier way, douchebag.

Anyways, because I get the bad feeling it wont be in brawl:

Picture1.png

RagnarokX

15znrqt.jpg

Smash Pinball: If you get sent flying up you bounce around like a pinball. The only way to die is to fall through the bottom; you may be saved by a moving platform.

vd3lkw.jpg

Only way to die is through the hole at the top!

dfyb

Banned
Crocodile said:
You people love your spikes don't you? I feel overall people should tone it down with the spikes. They seem to be all over the place.
i agree. i don't think spikes will be much fun.

rhfb said:
wtf is up with everyone and ladders?

seriously, just build another platform or two
if you can jump on/off ladders quickly, i think they will be pretty cool.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
rhfb said:
wtf is up with everyone and ladders?

seriously, just build another platform or two
Spikes and ladders are on the editor, so people feel naturally compelled to put spikes and ladders, regardless of how proper it is.

There's also something to be said for simplicity:
4r74mxu.png

:D

(edit: minor change to make it actually feasible. According to the SSBB site, horizontal flips are in, but rotation/vertical flips are not. So no sideways spikes I guess. =/)

Picture_2.png

You've got a flat platform at the end with slippery sides, then 2 platforms on each sides that go up and down and one big platform at the top with spikes on the bottom that goes from side to side

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
For the record, I doubt the vast majority of these stages will be makable. The Dojo only referenced flipping tiles horizontally (left to right), not free rotation, nor does it show it in any of their example stages. Ramps will probably only be able to face upwards. Spikes, too.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Bridge: No side kills, if you drop through the middle you're dead
Picture4.png

Keep Moving: I hope there isn't a limit on moving platforms, this would be insane.
Picture2.png

dfyb

Banned
Tathanen said:
For the record, I doubt the vast majority of these stages will be makable. The Dojo only referenced flipping tiles horizontally (left to right), not free rotation, nor does it show it in any of their example stages. Ramps will probably only be able to face upwards. Spikes, too.
yeah i kept that in mind when i was making mine. out of the ones i made, pressure cooker's slanted cieling is the only thing that might be at risk. the level would still work if i made the cieling flat and made the hole on the top bigger.

Enk

makes good threads.
PlatformerWars.gif

Here's my work in progress: Platformer Wars. This works best with 2 or 4 players with 3 lives a piece. Players 1,3 will be on the top left where the red marks are and payers 2,4 will be on the top right. Players can start by beating the crap out of their roomate until they die then race through a simple but mildly difficult platform segment to reach the other player. The green marks at the bottom represent horizontally moving platfoms.

NotWii

Banned
Every stage I've loved in SSB/SSBM has these attributes:
- Able to KO in all directions with no obstructions
- Medium or large stage size
- No moving platforms or level scrolling
- Lots of flat ground
- Edges on both sides of the stage (nothing like Flat Zone or Mushroom Kingdom)
- Some ground elevation (except Final Destination)
- No stage dividers (Peach's castle cuts a 4player match into two 1vs1 battles)

With all that in mind, I created these:
SSBB-stages.png

NotWii

Banned
So far I can see myself playing on:
layzie1989: Multiples - Diff Levels
MrCheez: Cheez Land - Large stages 4 lyf
Kodiak: oh shi- - keep moving!

Top Bottom