• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

haikira

*Title* = First time watching
20130yjum.jpg

Click any movie below for my "review"

01 American Mary 3.5/5
02 Evil Dead (2013) 3.5/5
03 Session 9 4/5
04 V/H/S 3.5/5
05 Hellbound: Hellraiser II 4/5
06 Mama 3.5/5
07 A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) 4.5/5
08 A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge 2/5

09 A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors 4.5/5
Yeah, I had a great time watching this one. It was nice to see familiar faces and this felt like it should have been the direct sequel to the original. It's just so full of imaginative dreams and kills again and the special effects are top notch. I also liked the varied group of characters and actually cared a little when any of them died. This won't be the last time I watch this one.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The second one is the one with Stephen King and the meteor, right? That one's the pits. Isn't the last one the one with the bugs? I remember liking that one, but I haven't seen it in a while.

And yes, the crate one is the best, by far. Mmmmmm Adrienne Barbeau.

I might have been unfair to the last one with the bugs, because after the Crate I was kinda distracted by something unrelated to the movie, and just sort of watched the rest of it, and kept pausing it, so it was hard for it to make a good impression. I think I'll give the last story a rewatch later with full attention.

Day 10

FF19.jpg

Fake documentary about conspiracy theories that takes a turn to the unexpected. I really enjoyed this. The "documentary" part and the whole investigation was interesting but the last 20 min are tense as hell.

Divius

Ugh, what a time to get banned, glad I am back. I have very much enjoyed reading most of the things posted in here, keep it up guys. I will be posting my little write ups soon.

Necrovex

October 10: My Bloody Valentine (1984). Ninth Film.

After dying from Hellraiser 3, it was time to watch a classic. I never saw My Bloody Valentine before. I refused to see it when the remake was released, and I never got the chance to watch the original.

The movie was an enjoyable ride. It wasn't OMG amazing, but I had a fun time with it. The characters were goofy and semi-believable for their age. The villain was quite well done, involving (Major Spoiler)
the plot twist of who it really was. I didn't expect it to be that guy's friend.

I don't have much more to say about it. It was fun, and I was happy to watch it. I already decided what I will be seeing tonight, Night of the Living Dead.

Score: 3/5

Divius

snCb0O9.jpg

#3 - Scanners (1981)
I absolutely loved the initial premise and where the story seemed to be going, but while it hints at deeper stuff (in both characters and story) unfortunately it stays rather superficial as it only skims the surface. Scanners has this weird faux-gritty thing going on at times which made it look and feel somewhat silly. There's also way too little screentime for the awesome antagonist, who basically shows up once in the beginning to do something evil and once more in the end for the showoff with our protagonist. I feel like I wanted to see more scanning, because I loved the scene with all the scanners sitting in a circle which felt really disturbing and freaky and the scene where the protagonist hacks a computer with his brain through a payphone was really awesome. Overall I enjoyed it but it could have been a lot better, maybe with a shift in focus of the narration. 6/10

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 10 - The Wolf Man (1941)

The-wolfman.jpg

The Wolf Man (1941) - This iconic film introduced the last of Universal's Classic Monsters from the golden age of horror cinema. Curt Siodmak invented much of werewolf lore for his lean but tragic script, and Lon Chaney Jr.'s Wolf Man (courtesy makeup wizard Jack Pierce) would become a cultural archetype in the company of Karloff's Frankenstein's monster, Lugosi's Dracula and his father's Phantom of the Opera. The film is simple, taught, artfully photographed and perfectly acted, and the latest Universal Blu-ray is undoubtably the best it's ever looked since its original release; the scenery seems to pop from the screen, the detail in the wolf makeup is amazing and Evelyn Ankers simply glows as Gwen. This film is a must-see for anyone interested in horror film; I've probably seen it fifty times in my life and it never gets old. Highly recommended.

The list so far - all werewolves, all the time!
October
  1. Bad Moon (1996)
  2. Werewolf: The Beast Among Us (2012)
  3. I Was A Teenage Werewolf (1957)
  4. The Beast Must Die (1974)
  5. Werewolf of London (1935)
  6. The Wolfman (2010)
  7. Silver Bullet (1985)
  8. Fury of the Wolfman (1970)
  9. Never Cry Werewolf (2008)
  10. The Wolf Man (1941)

Killer Klowns is plenty funny, to me at least.
Seconded. I love that movie.
Thirded. I love that movie too. Granted, clowns always creeped me out, but the characters make it for me... (Farmer's hound is named "Pooh Bear", LOL)

Come-Out-and-Play-Movie-Poster.jpg

10. Come Out And Play (Netflix Instant)

I always thought that people who claim that they could take on a larger number of children in close quarter combat before becoming overwhelmed underestimated how strong and persistent children are. That's what made Bloody Birthday so effective; the murderous children in that film seemed supernaturally adept at killing because they were born under a bad astrological sign. And it rarely came down to a battle of strength between the children and their victims; instead, the children weaponized toys or just used a gun to kill their victims. The power disparity between adult and child was equalized through the children's skillful use of tools.

This is a glossy film that doesn't feel like it wrung all of the horror it could have out of murderous children. The film leaves subtext for the viewers to pick up, but not much of it feels intentional. The film also seems ambivalent about what could be the film's showpiece: violence on children.

For example, the first time we see the children actually murder someone is from the victim's perspective as he's beaten to death with his own cane. It breaks the film's focus on the protagonists, Beth and Francis, so it can show this moment, which was disappointing. The editing also made the scene confusing to follow, which could feed into the emotion of being attacked by children, except it's not an action on the protagonists, but a throwaway supporting character. At first, Beth and Francis try to avoid the children rather than respond to the children's violence in kind. The first death of a child that we see comes in a moment of panic when it seems like the protagonists are left with no other choice. (To the film's credit, the film avoids the scene of one character condemning another for killing a child so the killer can deny that he or she had any choice in the matter.) We see
the protagonist shoot
; we never see
the bullet strike the child
. We only see
the gun fall from the child's hand and the child's blood trickle down the wall

However, the movie feels more gleeful about its violence on children after this moment. As a pack of children attack one of the protagonists after a standoff scene, we see the protagonist's blows land and blood spurt out from the children's bodies. The way the protagonist throwing children around is shot almost seems playful, which runs counter to the rueful tone from the earlier scene.

The chase sequences brought up uncomfortable memories of Black Hawk Down; anonymous and generic brown people, children in this case, chase and wish to harm a couple of white people. It's unclear whether Makinov, the film's director, screenwriter, producer, director of photography, and editor means for us to draw this inference. It's also unclear whether Makinov means for us to draw the inference about the threat that Francis and Beth might feel because they're about to have their third child, which means that the adults would be outnumbered by children in that family unit.

I believe there's a difference between intentional ambiguity that could enhance the viewer's experience and unintentional ambiguity that detracts from it. I don't need to have the film spell out why Beth and Francis are traveling to this remote Mexican island when Beth is seven-months pregnant. I can assume that they wanted to have a vacation before their child is born and that Francis chose the destination because it's known for its festival. I don't need to have the film explain why the children have suddenly gone rampant; not revealing a cause changes the film's focus from finding a cure to simple survival. I do need to know
why Beth died
. Is it because the cause of the children's rampage is biological, and it
transferred to Beth and the fetus through the air she breathed, the food and water she ingested, or because one of the creepy children touched her pregnant belly at one point in the film
? If it's a supernatural reason, was
she just infected at one point
? When we see one group of children turn another to violence, it's through a combination of physical (though not necessarily skin on skin) contact and through direct eye contact. When we see children play early in the film, they're jumping and swimming, and they pay Beth and Francis no mind. As the film progresses, the children degenerate to
making necklaces of ears, using heads as balls, or rummaging in vivisected corpses
. Are we meant to conclude that whatever is driving the children to kill is also blurring the lines in their mind between inanimate toys like balls and bodies of adults? The film offers just enough to be frustratingly confusing, and it felt like a half-measure on top of the other half-measures, such as the film's approach to violence on children.

The film also ends on a dedication to
"the martyrs of Stalingrad,"
leaving it again to the viewer to figure out what this means.

It felt like there's still potential in the ideas this film plays with, but it needed another pass to make the most of it.

Linkhero1

Oct. 1 The Evil Dead (1983) - Great
Oct. 2 VHS 2 - Good
Oct. 3 Blair Witch Project - Boring
Oct. 4 Sleepaway Camp - Great
Oct. 5 Drag Me To Hell- Boring
Oct. 6 The Possession - Great
Oct. 7 Session 9- Great
Oct. 8 Nightmare on Elm Street 2 - Boring
Oct. 9 [REC] - Great
Oct. 10 Evil Dead 2 - Fantastic

Evil Dead 2:

Imagine Bruce Campbell in a cabin by himself. Now, imagine if he's going insane due to possession in a cabin by himself. Well, that's what happens in this movie. I'm not sure how this relates to the first movie since it didn't start off where the last movie ended and protagonist doesn't seem to remember the events from the first movie. It sort of threw me off but I didn't mind overall. His acting was brilliant and hilarious. All those cheesy lines and facial expressions had me laughing my ass off. It's interesting how the movie is so much different from the first movie. The Evil Dead seemed more serious while this one was comedic more than anything. I didn't mind at all. You guys should check it out if you haven't seen it already. It's short and worth your time.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
#3 Pumkinhead 1988

I thought it was a above average movie. Liked the demon design though.

I started it last night. Didn't get to finish it though. The reviews keep saying the design was great, reason I turned it on. Will finish it tonight.

Divius

X4bHp7V.jpg

#4 - Blood and Black Lace (1964)
The masked figure pictured above kills fashion models in search of a diary that contains some sort of revealing content as detectives try to stop him, but in stead of focusing on the whodunnit part of it all as one normally would in the sixties, Bava decided to focus more on the kills and stylistically showing them, creating a spectacular looking influential horror that was inspiration for what was to become the Giallo genre. Despite the unexpected shift of focus it still keeps the viewer guessing with a bunch of twists and unexpected reveals that will surprise those not too familiar with the giallo. I felt like this movie was very much ahead of its time, it looked gorgeous (I love me some overly colorful lighting), there were quite a few really suspenseful scenes and the kills and gore were great. I had a hard time believing this was made in 1964, so I tip my hat to Bava and look forward to his other films. Good stuff. 8/10

Behind again, gonna have to to binge this weekend. My poor wife lol

Abyway, took notes as i watched.

8. Curse of Chucky
B+
Chuck in doll mode looks pretty bad, scratch that-terrible all around. That said, good atmosphere and I appreciate the return to form so to speak. Bride was fine but seed took it to far. Why the he'll does Chucky not bleed anymore? Certain someone showing up in the ending almost docked it a grade. Fuck that character. The final, real ending, redeems all that. Totally awesome, that.

Divius

I was tempted to check out that new Chucky film, but since I've never seen any from the series I decided not to. Impressions seem to be all over the place as well.

Linkhero1

Tonight's going to be a Japanese horror. I'm either going to watch Chakushin ari or Audition. I haven't seen either before and I do not know anything about Audition. I've watched the American version of Chakushin ari and it was okay.

On October 24th (@7:30 PM), my downtown cinema in Staunton, VA is having a one night digital showing of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho!

I haven't seen Psycho in an age, and of course never on the "big screen", so I'm well up for it. Apart from the "shower scene", "the" scary looking house and Anthony Perkins great performance I can't remember much about it, except that it was a class act.

The recent Hitchcock film (saw it on HBO on-demand on Comcast), was quite well played by Anthony Hopkins, with the always excellent Helen Mirren, as his wife, was quite good and was all about his struggles getting the film made. It's a relatively small film compared to Hopkins best work, such as The World's Fastest Indian and The Silence of the Lambs, but even so.

My cinema is also going to be showing The Shining on Halloween, but I don't know whether I can bring myself to go and see it as I hate almost everything about the film, especially the casting with Jack Nicholson and in particular Shelley Duvall (the son is no less annoying). On the other hand, I loved Stephen King's book...

Gameboy415

10/01 - 1. The Relic (Blu-Ray)
10/02 - 2. Ghoulies (Netflix)
10/03 - 3. Nightmares (1983) (YouTube)
10/04 - 4. The Amityville Horror (2005) (DVD)
10/05 - 5. Battledogs (Netflix)
10/06 - 6. Scream 4 (Netflix)
10/07 - 7. Satan's Little Helper (Netflix)
10/08 - 8. Tales From the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight (Netflix)
10/09 - 9. Perfect Blue (DVD)

10/10 -10. John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns (Blu-Ray)

-I was living abroad when they originally aired so this was my first exposure to the Masters of Horror series.
The film was pretty engrossing and impressive overall, but my only gripe is that I felt like it ended too abruptly.
That said, it was still great and I can't wait to check out more short films from the series!

Divius

wTHxERY.jpg

#5 - Society (1989)
It's all about a teenager fitting in with people that feel estranged to him and the not so subtle themes of paranoia as he feels he simply does not belong. Take this premise and dip it in 80s cheese and you might have something that resembles a John Hughes movie. And it could very well be a John Hughes movie if it wasn't for the climax. Because the climax is a thing of beauty, it goes all out in batshit body horror where I only hoped the movie would go but thought it would not dare. Too bad the climax is the only real redeeming factor of the film, but a great one at that. The rest of the film wasn't terrible either, but nothing really stood out. 6.5/10

#14 Silent Night Deadly Night 3: Better Watch Out! (1989)
Silent_Night_Deadly_Night_3.jpg

- Hooray another horrible sequel! I do it to myself. So everyone love the 2nd film in this series (GARBAGE DAY!!!) but this one is not even goofy or fun like that movie. The original movie was a mediocre slasher pic that got lot of hype due to being a holiday slasher film and Roger and Ebert complete hatred of the film. 3 tries to be a follow up to 2 where we have a psychic girl undergoing experiments at a hospital, the same hospital where apparently Ricky, the crazed killer from the previous film has had his mind rebuilt as part of some experiment. Wtf, so you have Bill Mosely who plays Ricky this time and has a clear dome on his head that shows off the exposed brain.... wtf. Movie is just insane in it's concept and it's incredibly boring. All the kills are off screen almost so the gore is minimal, huge stretches of nothing. Psychic girl and robo ricky? What? This movie is just bad. The whole Christmas theme of the movies have very little relevance in this one too.

And I'm looking for part 4 and 5 to watch right now! Can't wait to see part 4, which apparently was not even made as a Silent Night Deadly Night movie, but they slapped on the title anyways to give it some attention. It was released under another name in other territories, but for the US market to try and get some extra money out of the movie, they put 4 as part of the series..... well we will see if I survive more crap

WorldStar

Banned
10/10 -10. John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns (Blu-Ray)

-I was living abroad when they originally aired so this was my first exposure to the Masters of Horror series.
The film was pretty engrossing and impressive overall, but my only gripe is that I felt like it ended too abruptly.
That said, it was still great and I can't wait to check out more short films from the series!

I'm a huge fan of Masters of Horror, I have them all on BluRay (picked them up for $2 each at Frys not long ago!) While some are meh, overall it is a great collection of horror.

My favorites are probably (in no particular order):

Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
Jenifer
Cigarette Burns (John Carpenter, so definitely don't miss this one)
Fair Haired Child
Pick Me Up (one of my favorites)
Imprint (Takashi Miike...need I say more? must watch)
Family
The Screwfly Solution
Homecoming (political satire, if you dig that sorta thing)

MattyH

Day 11 - Evil Dead 2013
Evil-Dead-Poster.jpg

so many mixed reactions to this film but i enjoyed it as much of a die hard fan of the original as i am i was impressed

strobogo

Banned
The Evil of Frankenstein: I think I liked this more than the previous two entries in the Hammer Frankenstein series. Well, except for the monster's make up, which was fucking atrocious. So they partner up with Universal and can use the hallmarks of that series, and that's the best make up they could come up with? I'm not really into gothic horror so much, but these are at least enjoyable. I view them more like TV episodes than movies, though. It's the weird pacing and endings I think.

Linkhero1

I'm torn between which movie to watch tonight. What's the scariest Asian Horror flick. The only Japanese horror movie I've seen is A Tale of Two Sisters. I want something to scare me good.

jakncoke

Banned
#5 Pleasures of the Damned 2005

B-movie sooooo bad. Not even b-movie good bad either lol. Also if you hate yourself, watch it soon because it expires on 11-1

They dub over the voices to try and make it seem like it was a Italian banned horror film or something idk its annoying though

aFIGurANT

October 11th - Silence of the Lambs
The_Silence_of_the_Lambs_poster.jpg

So not what I expected. This one turned into more of a thriller quick and because of that I have to dock serious points - this thing was supposed to be the creepiest thing out there but it just wasn't. I feel like maybe it hasn't aged as well as some people like to think, but maybe that's just me hating on the fact that I didn't enjoy its formulaic plot. More Hannibal would have been what could have saved this movie from being kind of a boring cops vs. killer film. More fallout when Clarice starts divulging her personal life to Lecter seemed like the obvious way to go, but nope, he just exists to act as a foil to Clarice.

Some parts of the movie were great and I can see why the final act and its action were really cool at one point in time, but for me watching in 2013, I just felt a bit jilted by a lack of true horror and creepy cannibal material. I will say that this movie made me want to see more of the Hannibal story in other formats as by far the best parts of the movie involved that character interacting with pretty much anyone else.

4kzVXlb.jpg

Another classic. I had to step up my game a little. Still trying to get rid of the smell left by Baron Blood. I wonder what the remake will be like. Def not as good as the original.

8/10

Ridley327

WEEK TWO - GROWING PAINS
October 11, part 1

If anything could be compared to The Pit, it would perhaps be Xtro. I make that comparison for no reason, other than both films being determined to as crazy and as ridiculous as possible. Where Xtro goes for sheer volume and variety, The Pit gets a lot out of just its lead character, the overly dramatic yet shockingly well-prepared 12-year-old sociopath Jamie (Sammy Snyders, who gives a master class in overacting for his age group). Since I don't want to spoil a whole lot, let's just say he's very talented at both expertly timing prerecorded phone conversations, as well as convincing people not to notice that they're standing next to a 20-foot-wide whole with growling monsters inside of it. Combined with an over-the-top musical score and some of the best bad dialogue ever, and you have a recipe for a good ol' trashy time-waster. Anyone looking for a good film should direct themselves somewhere else, but anyone with an appreciation of a 12-year-old boy trying to convince a cow to come with him by telling the cow about what's going to happen to it if it stays, while also mentioning that the same thing is going to happen to it if it does go, or the world's most patient librarian in terms of sexual exploitation, or the best mispronunciation of the words "troglodyte" and "orangutan" ever, then run, don't walk, to wherever you might be able to see this film.

0vVJVXx.jpg

I always came across the poster or DVD cover and it always intrigued me so I finally decided to give this one a shot. I didn't know what to expect coming from director Joe Dante but was pleasantly surprised at what is a decent werewolf movie. I thought the werewolf effects cool and the transformation scenes were laughable but I guess this was the best they could do in 1981.

6/10.

matt360

#11 - OCTOBER 11 - Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil
DbOfghl.jpg

Too many people here are recommending this movie and since I haven't seen it yet I decided to put it on my list. And I'm glad I did. Really gory and genuinely funny, with a fun twist on the premise. Forgive my ignorance, but has there been any other Tucker and Dale media outside of this movie? They kinda reminded me of Ernest in a more Rated R kind of way. But I could totally see Tucker and Dale Save Christmas, or Tucker and Dale Go to Space. I'm not necessarily saying that should happen, just that I could see it. 8.5/10

Steamlord

I'm torn between which movie to watch tonight. What's the scariest Asian Horror flick. The only Japanese horror movie I've seen is A Tale of Two Sisters. I want something to scare me good.

Noroi, Ringu, and Audition are all obvious answers but they're thrown around a lot for a reason.

(also A Tale of Two Sisters is Korean)

9. Fiend without a Face (1958)
fiend3crsu5.gif

Holy shit this movie is fantastic, the third act in particular. The plot deals with radiation paranoia in a small town. A military base nearby the town is using atomic power and is accused of some mysterious deaths happening in the town. The fiend monster is impressive, yes it's a brain with a spine and tentacles, but it's movements and sound effects create incredible tension. This film's sound effects were definitely a highlight. Everything this film delivered exceeded my expectations. Highly recommended!

Bonus

10. Come Out And Play (Netflix Instant)

Forgive me if you already know this, but you didn't mention it in your review so I figured I'd point it out.

Come Out and Play is a remake of an excellent film from '76 called Who Can Kill a Child?/¿Quién puede matar a un niño?.

rec_WhoCanKill_01_zpsd2ce6f6a.jpg

I haven't seen the remake (and haven't heard good things about it) but the original was chilling and VERY effective. Just check out this crazy trailer. The way they handled the
shooting of the child
in the original was very powerful and haunting. It stuck with me for days.

It sounds like they're vague on why
the wife died
in the remake? It's pretty clear in the original.

Here's a review for the remake from someone who's opinion I trust that's also seen the original if you're interested

#4 - Blood and Black Lace (1964)

Glad to see more people are checking that out. Fantastic movie.

9. Fiend without a Face (1958)

That's an awesome title.

TheRedMan

Banned
Lords of Salem - 4/10

Waste of time (for me), definitely should have trusted reviews on this one. Predictable plot combined with cringeworthy dialogue. Some of the scares felt very cheap and almost laughable
(like the fake dead body that shows up in her apartment as a jump scare a couple of times, but you can so obviously tell it's fake and ends up taking you out of the movie. Contrast this to the feeling you get from watching an entity show up in one of James Wan's movies, it's a night and day difference.)
It has good visuals and cinematography at times.

JAGII

Neo Member
WEEK TWO - GROWING PAINS
October 11, part 1

If anything could be compared to The Pit, it would perhaps be Xtro. I make that comparison for no reason, other than both films being determined to as crazy and as ridiculous as possible. Where Xtro goes for sheer volume and variety, The Pit gets a lot out of just its lead character, the overly dramatic yet shockingly well-prepared 12-year-old sociopath Jamie (Sammy Snyders, who gives a master class in overacting for his age group). Since I don't want to spoil a whole lot, let's just say he's very talented at both expertly timing prerecorded phone conversations, as well as convincing people not to notice that they're standing next to a 20-foot-wide whole with growling monsters inside of it. Combined with an over-the-top musical score and some of the best bad dialogue ever, and you have a recipe for a good ol' trashy time-waster. Anyone looking for a good film should direct themselves somewhere else, but anyone with an appreciation of a 12-year-old boy trying to convince a cow to come with him by telling the cow about what's going to happen to it if it stays, while also mentioning that the same thing is going to happen to it if it does go, or the world's most patient librarian in terms of sexual exploitation, or the best mispronunciation of the words "troglodyte" and "orangutan" ever, then run, don't walk, to wherever you might be able to see this film.

I watched The Pit for last year's marathon. Your write-up nails it -- a good ol trashy time-waster indeed. The bit with the old lady is fantastic.

Giallo Week Mini-Marathon - Part 3

10_DontTortureADuckling_zpse83dfab7.jpg

10) Don't Torture a Duckling/Non si sevizia un paperino (1972) (Oct 10)

Full disclosure: I was pretty tired and a little distracted when I watched this, but I didn't want to fall behind and just kind of watched it to get it out of the way. It wasn't fair to the movie and I feel it's clouding my judgement so I will be attempting to re-watch it this weekend.

Fulci's followup giallo to A Lizard in a Woman's Skin, Don't Torture a Duckling is again a more original take, not following the usual Bava/Argento style of gialli. It's the story of a series of child murders in a small, rural town in the hills of Italy.

This one seems to be considered Fulci's masterpiece (I'm a Zombi 2 man, myself) and is before the extreme gore phase of his career, though there's some obvious foreshadowing to his gooey future films. I'm a bit conflicted on it.

It does have some flaws I was a bit disappointed with. Firstly, it spends quite a bit of time building the case against a character, only to have them dismissed as a red herring, then moving on to building up and then dismissing the next red herring. This continues on for the entire runtime instead of letting them all fester and be suspects until the end. By the time the 2nd red herring is dismissed, it's painfully obvious that any time they start hinting that a character may be the murderer your suspicions lead you to believe otherwise. This obvious formula takes a lot of the finale's impact away as you should already have a strong suspicion of who it is, and you're just waiting out the movie to confirm it, instead of generally shocking you like most gialli.

Because of the time wasted on the red herrings, the protagonists don't have nearly enough screen time during the first 2/3rds of the movie so you never feel connected to them and you don't get enough time devoted to them tracking down clues and trying to solve the mystery.

The finale is also tainted by a laughably bad practical effect that pulls you right out of the moment. Sure, bad effects are nothing new in these low budget movies, but this one is just so absurd.

Now for the good stuff; Since it doesn't follow the typical giallo structure, Fulci gets to play around with quite a few different themes, which is really interesting even if they don't all pan out into something meaningful by the end. It also deals with a lot of difficult and disturbing subject matter. While my initial impression was a bit of a disappointment, it's for these reasons the movie stuck with me over the past few days since my viewing and the more I think about it, the more I like the movie.

Overall, I think it's one that will grow on me in the future.

11_WatchMeWhenIKill_zpsa92b624d.jpg

11) Watch Me When I Kill/Il gatto dagli occhi di giada (1977) (Oct 11)

And while Fulci was doing different things with his gialli, along comes Antonio Bido with a heavily Argento influenced giallo. Bido apes Argento's style right down to the energetic rock soundtrack and the obvious cash-in attempt at Argento's Animal Trilogy with the original Italian title which translates to "The Cat with the Jade Eyes". Speaking of the movie's title, the renamed US title, Watch Me When I Kill is terrible and not fitting to the movie at all.

Anyway, imitating Argento isn't exactly a bad thing. While it's never overly impressive (except for some great kills) it's a solid giallo with enough twists and turns to keep you interested. My biggest gripe is the final scene itself. The movie ends with the end title card so abruptly almost mid-shot giving the viewer or the characters no time to react to the final events. There isn't even end credits to allow you to cool down, so the whole thing comes off almost comedic. The last thing I want to be doing at the end of a giallo is laughing.

Final Viewed List:
01) The Birds (1963) (Oct 1)
02) Tombs of the Blind Dead/La noche del terror ciego (1972) (Oct 2)
03) Return of the Evil Dead/El ataque de los muertos sin ojos (1973) (1963) (Oct 3)
04) The Ghost Galleon/El buque maldito (1974) (Oct 4)
05) Night of the Seagulls/La Noche de las gaviotas (1975) (Oct 5)
06) Blood and Black Lace/Sei donne per l'assassino (1964)
07) The Bird with the Crystal Plumage/L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo (1970)
08) A Lizard in a Woman's Skin/Una lucertola con la pelle di donna (1971) (Oct 8)
09) What Have You Done to Solange?/Cosa avete fatto a Solange (1972) (Oct 9)
10) Don't Torture a Duckling/Non si sevizia un paperino (1972) (Oct 10)
11) Watch Me When I Kill/Il gatto dagli occhi di giada (1977) (Oct 11)

Ridley327

WEEK TWO - GROWING PAINS
October 11, part 2

The rare Southern backwoods horror movie that does not involve cannibals, redneck psychos, or cannibal redneck psychos (there's a difference!), Jug Face offers up a nasty little slice-of-life tale about a small community and its very strange ritual that must be performed for the good of them all, as filtered through the eyes of the ritual's next sacrifice. The story itself moves at a nice clip and does go into some rather bold directions that are bound to make you squirm a bit. It helps that the casting is pretty spot on, including a nice turn from Sean Young and strong lead performances from Lauren Ashley Carter and Sean Bridgers. It's also nice that, for the most part, the film has a strong kind of intimacy to it that a lot of similar films lack: it sticks to the community itself and doesn't really venture outside of it with the civilized world intruding in. It does stumble when it does make concessions to convention, such as a spooky dead kid thing the movie didn't really need, a series of premonitions that don't do a whole lot but get some gore into the film, and there's a lot of dialogue that's a bit too heavy on exposition and doesn't allow for a lot of naturalistic touches that you would think would be more appropriate for a film about people who worship a magic pit. All in all, though, it's a solid watch for someone looking for a film that's a bit left of normal.

October 12 preview: In the quest to get laid, two teenage boys come across a situation that neither one is prepared to handle properly in Deadgirl.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Avoid deadgirl. What a crappy ass film. Want me to save you an hour and a half?

The boys fuck a dead girl. That is what the movie is about.

There, thank me later.

Ridley327

Is that your first time viewing? That movie is... well, I look forward to your review.

A friend of mine at work reinforced my excitement for watching it, and he's the kind of guy who waited outside of a Suncoast on the day the ultra-limited edition of Cannibal Holocaust came out so he could nab it. He seems trustworthy enough!

A friend of mine at work reinforced my excitement for watching it, and he's the kind of guy who waited outside of a Suncoast on the day the ultra-limited edition of Cannibal Holocaust came out so he could nab it. He seems trustworthy enough!

Haha, was that in danger of selling out?

That reminds me of a friend of mine who used to work at a video store. He said he had a guy come in every single week asking if they had Deadgirl in yet. My friend hadn't seen it at the time and it was around when I had first watched it, so I found that hilarious. You'll see.

I don't know if I'd say it's a bad movie. It's just different. Worth checking out as a curiosity, anyway. I have more to say but I'll wait for your review to comment.

Ridley327

Haha, was that in danger of selling out?

That reminds me of a friend of mine who used to work at a video store. He said he had a guy come in every single week asking if they had Deadgirl in yet. My friend hadn't seen it at the time and it was around when I had first watched it, so I found that hilarious. You'll see.

I don't know if I'd say it's a bad movie. It's just different. Worth checking out as a curiosity, anyway. I have more to say but I'll wait for your review to comment.

They only made 10,000 of them, or thereabouts.

The funny thing is that I was flip-flopping Deadgirl and Suicide Club around for the longest time, since both fit in either a coming-of-age story, or a straight-up controversial film. Since it's my tendency to try and transition into another week smoothly, I decided to put them next to each other in the end.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

The moment they stumble onto the girl is what catches your attention. But it goes downhill speeding on a rocket. They spend the rest of the movie either have sex with the girl or trying to find ways to protect her from being released from the sexcapades.

My two cents away.

HoRxLy6.jpg

#4. Daughters of Darkness (October 11)
“I have seen many a night fall away into an even more endless night.”
Surreal, haunting and gorgeously photographed, Daughters of Darkness is a twist on the Countess Bathory tale. After being only married for three days, a newlywed couple find themselves stranded in an opulent and very deserted hotel. Just as they settle in, the Countess Bathory and her companion check into the adjoining suite. Director Harry Kumel is more interested in evoking mood and atmosphere than blood and shocks. A decidedly slow burn affair, the film is filled with nudity and eroticism punctuated by jolts of sudden violence. It's the kind of thing Jean Rollin specialized in throughout the seventies, only with a higher budget and more artistic taste. Kumel's shots are painstakingly set-up, lovingly framed and an absolute joy to look at. Definitely one of the more unique takes on the vampire, and probably one of my favorites from the seventies.

Top Bottom