• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

I've been debating if I want to watch Cannibal Holocaust or not for years. I've managed to avoid the string of Italian cannibal movies except for whatever seeped into the Italian zombie flicks like Zombie Holocaust. I guess Anthropophagus too if that counts, but it's not like Cannibal Holocaust and its clones.

The music makes Cannibal Holocaust.

Still haven't seen Cannibal Ferox though or it's sexy sequel Ferox 2.

Cannibal Apocalypse is less sleazy.... slightly and has John Saxon which is it's own level of sleaze :D

Ridley327

The music makes Cannibal Holocaust.

Still haven't seen Cannibal Ferox though or it's sexy sequel Ferox 2.

Cannibal Apocalypse is less sleazy.... slightly and has John Saxon which is it's own level of sleaze :D

This is absolutely true. Riz Ortolani did an amazing job with the soundtrack, and I especially liked that there was a valid reason why a couple of the pieces he did were reused as much as they were.

White Man

http://www.metafilter.com/132843/Katastichophobia

For your October delight: Top 10 horror movies, as picked by Guardian critics, Ten Exceptionally Well-Written Horror Films, Top Ten Horror-Sci-Fi Films: A Primer And Pseudo-History, The 12 Weirdest Vampire Movies Ever Made, The Top Grossing Scary Movies Of All-Time, and, perhaps most importantly of all: The 25 best horror films on netflix instant.

WorldStar

Banned
http://www.metafilter.com/132843/Katastichophobia

For your October delight: Top 10 horror movies, as picked by Guardian critics, Ten Exceptionally Well-Written Horror Films, Top Ten Horror-Sci-Fi Films: A Primer And Pseudo-History, The 12 Weirdest Vampire Movies Ever Made, The Top Grossing Scary Movies Of All-Time, and, perhaps most importantly of all: The 25 best horror films on netflix instant.

didn't know The Signal was on Netflix Instant. Might be time for a re-watch. I think I remember it mostly fondly so I'd recommend it. For those who haven't seen it, the film is basically split into 3 segments. First was violent and chaotic. 2nd is more of a black comedy. 3rd returns to being more so pure horror again IIRC.

MattyH

Day 14 - Dead Set
51UsTn-EbSL.jpg

Charlie Brooker Takes the shittist thing ever (Big Brother) Adds Zombies and Boom one of the best British takes on zombies since Shaun Of The Dead

October 14th

Film Number 28: Citadel
Tagline: They see your fear

Opening thoughts: It’s got James Cosmo of GoT fame in it. Love a bit of James Cosmo.

lA6J5bJ.png

Closing thoughts: This is a cracking film. Starting as a dark study of loss and agoraphobia, it mutates into a chilling, gripping survival horror/rescue mission mash up, that deals with the quite literal demonization of a gang of street kids on a condemned British housing estate. Excellent stuff, apparently inspired by an unprovoked attack by a gang of hoodies on writer/director Ciaran Foy, which left him agoraphobic.

Score: 8.5 out of 10. Don’t take the lift when the power’s on the blink.

Film number 29: Sawney: Flesh of Man
Tagline: Based on the true story of the highlands’ infamous cannibal clan

Opening thoughts: Mutant flesh-eating hillbillies. From Scotland.

KDZXCpU.png

Closing thoughts: This is a good little low budget horror film given a massive boost by an immaculately unhinged performance from the great David Hayman in the title role. While the rest of the cast aren’t nearly so impressive, the glorious Scottish scenery and the copious gore more than make up for it.

Score: 7.5 out of 10. Top tip: Don’t give cocaine to twitchy mutant cannibal sickle-wielding freerunners.

Watched so far:
October 1 - Wreckage (1/10) Storage (6/10)
October 2 - Absentia (9/10) Uninhabited (3/10)
October 3 - The Fallow Field (7/10)
October 4 - Insidious (6/10) The Devil's Rock (8/10)
October 5 - Seconds Apart (6/10) The Awakening (8/10) When The Lights Went Out (8/10)
October 6 - Lake Mungo (6/10) Cherry Tree Lane (8/10) The Seasoning House (9/10)
October 7 - Bruiser (2/10) Devoured (9.5/10)
October 8 - The Devil's Business (4/10) Session 9 (4/10) Needle (6.5/10)
October 9 - V/H/S (8.5/10)
October 10 - The Lords Of Salem (9.9 out of 10)
October 11 - Below (5/10) Dead Girl (6.5/10)
October 12 – Teeth (8/10) Little Deaths (10/10)
October 13 - Blood Night (5/10) Detention (7/10) American Mary (5/10)

Gradually starting to catch back up. Hopefully I'll be back to speed this week, but we'll see.

WKGL2p7.jpg

#5. Lords of Salem (October 12)
“We've been waiting, Heidi... We've always been waiting.”
Instead of relying on his tried and true Grindhouse touchstones, Rob Zombie turned to the films of Ken Russell, Stanley Kubrick and Roman Polanski to guide his spiritual descent down the left hand path. Gone are the foulmouthed rednecks and unwashed hillbillies that populated Zombie's oeuvre up to this point. Instead, we get a much more low key affair that's heavy on atmosphere, long vibe and chocked full of enough steadicam to make Kubrick hard. Not only is Lords of Salem Zombie's quietest film to date, but its also his most gorgeous. Zombie squeezed every penny of production design he could out of the film's meager $2.5 million budget. As a result, Zombie crafted a film that looks like it easily cost double that amount. While budget short-comings may not have hamstrung the film's aesthetics, its screenplay is an entirely different matter. Constantly re-written during production to deal with budgetary realities, the script meanders around before falling apart completely during the third act. The final ten minutes devolve into a level of what-the-fuckery that makes Zombie's psychedelic freak-outs during Halloween II seem coherent and logical. If you've ever wanted to see Sheri Moon Zombie ride a goat like it's a mechanical bull, this is the movie for you.

za9qCdX.jpg

#6. Rosemary's Baby (October 12)
“I dreamed someone was raping me. I think it was someone inhuman.”
Many years ago, I attended a screenwriting convention where Leigh Whannell was a featured speaker. Funny and entertaining, Whannell talked about making the Hollywood rounds in the wake of Saw's massive success. Speaking to countless executives, he noticed the one's who didn't know shit about horror all claimed Rosemary's Baby was their favorite horror film. Roman Polanski's first American feature may be a perennial favorite of Hollywood blowhards, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a pretty unnerving flick. Constantly playing with viewer's expectations, the film walks a fine line through most of its running time. Until the final minutes, the proceedings could have either been a convincing psychological piece like Polanski's Repulsion or a full-blown descent into the supernatural. This balancing act wouldn't have been possible without Mia Farrow's performance as Rosemary holding everything together. Initially playing up the naivete at the core of her character, Farrow steadily adds layers of suspicion until she completely crumbles beneath the weight of paranoia. While the tone and performances are all impeccable, Rosemary's Baby is not without its fault. Decidedly a product of its time, Rosemary's Baby is pretty darn sexist. Between Rosemary casually being raped by her husband, key health decisions being completely taken out of her hands, the film reflects a pretty ugly period for women's rights in America. While this ultimately isn't really a fault of the film, its still something to be considered when approaching the film.

RMqdnwo.jpg

#7. The Shining (October 13)
“Redrum. Redrum. Redrum.”
Out of all the bullshit cinematic adaptations of his work, this is the only film that sticks in Stephen King's craw. He's even gone so far as to write and produce a television version the hewed more closely to his original novel. King's distaste for Kubrick's film might seem surprising, but it really shouldn't. The Shining wasn't just King's first blockbuster, but it was also a deeply personal book for him. The book's themes of alcoholism and family turmoil resonated with King on a personal level as he wrote the novel. So when Kubrick gutted those elements, and most of the supernatural trappings, it shouldn't be too surprising the writer ultimately recoiled at the results. Plus, it probably doesn't help that Kubrick's film has usurped King's novel in popular culture. At this point, Kubrick's cold and nightmarish imagery has become synonymous with the book, even if most of it was invented for the film.

lp75wwG.jpg

#8. Deep Red (October 13)
“Look, maybe you've seen something so important you can't realize it.”
A psychic is murdered by a mysterious killer wearing black leather gloves. The local police can't crack the case, so it falls to an English pianist and an intrepid reporter to solve the crime. Deep Red is the culmination of the early phase of Dario Argento's career. Here Argento demonstrates his absolute mastery of the Giallo genre, while pushing his trademark set-pieces and nightmarish imagery to new and inventive heights. Argento's camera snakes around in immaculately fluid sequences, including an absolute showstopper where David Hemmings scales an abandoned house set to an absolutely rocking Goblin score, natch. The whole bloody affair is capped off by not one, but two of the most ridiculous death sequences ever committed to celluloid. Absolutely essential viewing for anyone interested in the work of Dario Argento or just the Giallo genre.

strobogo

Banned
Below Zero: The idea of a movie starring Edward Furlong as the main and often sole character isn't an appealing one at all, but this was actually pretty decent. He's a writer who wants to be locked away at a meat packing place, completely disconnected from everything so he can get over his writer's block. The movie jumps back and forth between the real him and what he's writing, and eventually ends up blurring to the point where you're not sure what is real and what isn't. It's pretty decent. Michael Berryman was also in it.

White Man

How does the I Spit on Your Grave remake compare to the original? The original is one of the only movies to make me squirm enough that I had to turn it off and return to it later. The remake can't possibly match that, right?

Had a meh night movie wise.

11. Croczilla
Meh, had decent hopes considering where it's from but was bored silly.
D

12. Battle Royale
Absolutely disturbing when I first saw this 13 year's ago, lets see if time has been kind. Obviously all the shock has worn off, for me at least. Still an excellent, well made film absolutely worth seeking out.
A+

13. Shark Attack in the Mediterranean
Holy Shit is this dubbing bad. Omg "shark alarm! Shark alarm!" lol. Every so often the Cheif Brody of the film holds a prop giant shark tooth, which is hilarious on its own, but it randomly becomes cgi at various points-making it even funnier. Terrible, what was I thinking?
D-

14. Paranormal Activity 4
This was on my list last year and I remember being annoyed at the lack of promised answers. So now a year has passed let's see how I feel now. Still the worst one, only now instead of enjoying moments here and there I was bored
C

15. Ghosts of Goldfield
Moar found footage. Or not. Why did I think this was that?? Totally the descriptions fault. Sweet, Roddy Piper! Too bad he can't save this. Avg gore and avg performances. Should be creepy, should at least give some goosebumps....does neither.
D

16. Paranormal Incident
I'm giving up for the night if this is bad too. Actually found footage this time. Good performances here, so far. The film is interspersed with segments shot in a non found footage format, it's a huge pet peeve of mine when a survivor is spoiled ahead of time. I won't dismiss the technique outright because it is sometimes effective (The Tunnel, for example). Take back the "good performances" , more like adequate. Not a fan of the ending. Yet another film I wanted to like more than I did.
C

Story so far...
1.Bucks County Massacre C-
2. 7 Nights of darkness B-
3. The terror Factor C
4. Puppet Master B
5. The Crying Dead C
6. Aaron's House D
7. The Bad Seed A
8. Curse of Chucky B+
9. The Hills Run Red A
10. V/H/S 2 A (C/A/A-/A+)

Divius

You are on a roll, pitcairn55!

Meanwhile; I am getting behind more and more. Maybe I'll binge and watch 2 or 3 films tomorrow.

Ridley327

How does the I Spit on Your Grave remake compare to the original? The original is one of the only movies to make me squirm enough that I had to turn it off and return to it later. The remake can't possibly match that, right?

My understanding is that it spends far less time on the sexual assaults and more on the subsequent torture and killing of the main character's assailants.

I think I'm hitting a slump, after watching Criterion horror the last week, I put on Night of the Living Dead and fell asleep way too fast. Going to try to play catch up tonight with something else. Love reading all the reviews.

An-Det

Day 8: Evil Dead (2013)

I remember enjoying the original when I watched it a year or two ago, but didn't remember many of the details of the film going into the remake, which I ended up really enjoying. It was really bloody, and had a lot of fantastically-tense moments. Really a lot of fun and worth watching.

Day 9: Altered

Four high school friends capture an alien and shit goes bad. I didn't expect much going in, but it was ok for me. The backstory didn't make much sense as setup but the characters and situation was fine to get through that. And damn that alien is vicious.

Day 10: White Noise

Michael Keaton's wife dies, and he starts looking for ways to communicate with her from beyond the grave. Things go bad. I figured this would be pretty crappy but I got into it. It went for atmosphere over jump scares (though there are still some) which I really liked, and the ending was damn good, fitting way to end that.

Day 11: Jack Frost

A psychotic serial killer on his way to execution gets into a crash with a truck full of "genetic material", thus turning him into a killer snowman. I watched this as a kid and knew it was bad, but what I wasn't prepared for were all the awful puns. It's a terrible movie, and I loved every minute of it.

#21 The Hills Have Eyes 2 (1984)
9033785521_83f94e35d9.jpg

- So I knew this movie had a history of being considered awful, but I always meant to sit down and watch it, seen the original and the remakes which I enjoyed. So yea, this was pretty bad. 8 years after the original movie a survivor and dog from the first film just so happen to go on a trip that ends with them stuck in the desert, only to meet up with the killer mutants once again. Of course she brought along a whole new slew of characters along who are all annoying as hell. Unlike the original classic that was about a family trying to survive against the cannibals, this one plays out like your generic 80's slasher flick. To make matters worse the soundtrack was done by Harry Manfredini, which makes the movie sound like a Friday the 13th movies. Harry Manfredini's work on Friday series is iconic, but you really see in his other horror work that he has no range and all his work sounds identical. He just phones it in. Wes Craven claims to not have wanted to do this but did it because he needed the money, and the movie might not have even released if it wasn't due to the success of Nightmare on Elm Street. The unfinished movie that had gone over budget was suddenly something the studio wanted to put out, but no more footage to finish it was allowed, so they stuff the movie with long flashbacks to the first film. This is hilarious because the dog from the first film is shown to have a flashback even! But really nothing about this movie was good, it was totally phoned in sequel for a quick buck. You're main bad guy is incredibly pathetic when the lone survivor he can't content with is a blind girl.

ENHY0t0.jpg

14. They Live (1988)

Revisited this from last year since I really liked it the first time and I can see it becoming a yearly watch for me since I enjoyed watching David and Piper beat the shit out of each other.

8/10

As they do every year, amazon has alot of horror flicks marked down in price, lot of classics on blu ray have dropped too like The Burning and Prowler.

My understanding is that it spends far less time on the sexual assaults and more on the subsequent torture and killing of the main character's assailants.

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it. The remake is a good revenge flick and won't have you squirming in your seat as much. Perhaps it's not as effective because of that, but it's the more watchable movie because it's not so difficult to sit through.

Housefilmposter.jpg

Oct. 11th - House

Massive nostalgia boner for this one and it just spontaneously showed up on Netflix, as if it knew I've been wanting to watch it for years! I probably watched this countless times on VHS as a kid (obviously I should't have) and it held up surprisingly well.
What initially starts off like a B-Horror film (which at the end of the day, kinda still is) ends up pulling it self together with some genuine performances from William Katt, the supporting cast, and a creative take on the haunted house story. I would have liked a bit more background on what exactly the house was/why was it haunted. It's rules and motivations aren't necessarily spelled out really ever, which is both good and bad at times.

7.5/10

The_Faculty_movie_poster.jpg

Oct 12th - The Faculty

Between this, Once upon a time in Mexico, the latter Spy Kids films, etc., makes me question if either Robert Rodriguez is a legitimately good filmmaker, or just a guy who likes to work and occasionally get's lucky.
This flick is basically a product of the late 90's MTV Generation. I know because I fit exactly into that demographic at one point, for better or worse. The era which capitalized on the Scream craze with such classics as Teaching Ms Tingle, Urban Legend, I know what you did last summer, etc.
Anyway, it has all sorts of problems, like the fact that The Faculty of the entire school seemingly consists of like, what, 6 teachers? The fact that Harry Knowles is in one of them. The
alien life form is more interested in being misogynistic/murderous then actually assimilating everyone as efficiently/quietly as possible
. Stunt casting someone like Usher who shows up in all the one-sheets and such, despite barely being in the film. Also, I could never understand what was going on with Josh Harnett's hair :(

It's just sort of a limp film and it's hard to recommend unless you're bored one afternoon like I was.

5/10

The_Return_of_the_Living_Dead_%28film%29.jpg

Return of the Living Dead

What can I say? It's a yearly rewatch. Still one of my favorite horror films of all time.

10/10

220px-Hoodposter.jpg

Oct 13th - Tales from the Hood

This one popped up on NetFlix too so I said what the hell!
First off, could't believe Spike Lee was an Executive Producer on this. Makes me wonder what he thinks of it now lol
Anyway, it's a horror anthology piece obviously known for it's 90s/Gangsta-twist. It works for the most part and there's some good stuff to be found here. Sure the messages in each piece can be super heavy handed, but they come from a legitimate place, particularly the 2nd piece with the monster (children in peril always get to me and this one is tough to watch). The weakest link by far is the last short. It just sort of goes nowhere, both thematically and with what actually happens on screen.

A solid way to spend an evening though

7/10

matt360

#14 - OCTOBER 14 - Halloween 2 (2009)
EIjK2QK.jpg

I really didn't like it all that much. I really enjoyed his Halloween remake, and House of 1,000 Corpses is one of my top 5 favorite horror movies, so Halloween 2 was somewhat disappointing. I think one of the main reasons is that they turned Lori into an insufferable moron in this movie. Also, all that
white horse
stuff was just weird and out of place. Some of the kills were pretty brutal and Michael himself was great. 5/10

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 14 - Ginger Snaps (2001)

Thegingersnapsfilmposter.jpg

Ginger Snaps (2001) - Alternately laugh-out-loud funny and edge-of-your-seat scary, this is without a doubt one of the best Werewolf movies of the new millenium and possibly the best Canadian horror film ever made. A script that focuses on the sibling heroines combines with solid performances by all the leads to ensure quirky and interesting but relatable characters that keep you in the story. The script intentionally diverges from a lot of traditional werewolf lore, but great effects, an effective score and an ultimately tragic finale in the best lycanthropic tradition wraps up the package very effectively. I can't recommend this one highly enough; it should be a part of everyone's must-watch list.

17. Paranormal Asylum
Average ghost movie so far. What the he'll is going on in this film? I'd probably give more of a Shit if I wasn't so bored.
D
18. 100 Ghost Street
The ghost must've been a slasher in another life. Pretty gory for a paranormal found footage flick. Good scares here. You know it's one thing to not leave cuz you can't (for supernatural reasons or otherwise) but when you find a trail of blood at least try. I don't ask for much, at least give me some excuses. Did I just see ghost rape?? Okay then. Oh NOW they try to escape. And all it took was a lil' invisible sexual assault. Don't buy someone's survival, nope. Is it necrophilia if a ghost does it? Yeah this happens. Mostly effective, quibbles aside. If the ceiling for the genre this month is V/H/S 2 then this is a notch or two below that.
B-

Oct 12th - The Faculty

It's just sort of a limp film and it's hard to recommend unless you're bored one afternoon like I was.

5/10

i agree with basically everything you wrote, but for me, all that really works for some reason. maybe it's because instead of just the standard slasher cash-in, they tried to do something a little more interesting and grandiose with the premise.

also the random appearances by piper laurie and john stewart.

An-Det

Watched both of these tonight, just one behind now.

Day 12: ABCs of Death

This was just awful. There were a few decent segments, but overall it was hugely disappointing. I'll definitely give them props for creativity in many of the segments, particularly the meta ones, but most were simply weird, rather than horror, and not well done at that.

Day 13: In The Mouth of Madness

Part 3 of Carpenter's "Apocalypse Trilogy", this one was great. Lovecraftian to the core with some dashes of Stephen King, this one was just what I needed tonight. The Thing is absolutely the best of this trilogy, and I fell asleep during Prince of Darkness last year, but this was solidly entertaining for me.

#14 The Whisperer in Darkness (2011) Oct 14

Another black-and-white one based on Lovecraft works by the same studio that did Call of Cthulhu silent film. Much improved, I would say. At times tension and creepiness is instilled. But still boring and drawn out. Liked what they did with sound in this one.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1)The Blair Witch Project (Netflix, Mexico)
2)Halloween (remake, Netflix Canada)
3)The Crazies (Netflix, Canada)
4)The Collector (Netflix Canada)
5)Halloween 2 (remake, Netflix Canada)
6)Slugs (Netflix US)
7)The Collection (Netflix US):
8)Pumpkinhead (Netflix US)
9)Freddy vs Jason (Netflix Canada)
10)House at the End of the Street (Netflix US)
11)Would You Rather (Netflix Canada)

12)Wrong Turn (Netflix Sweden): This was a surprisingly good movie. I guess the low expectations helped. Good amount of scares and suspense. Recommended it. 7/10

13)The Mist (Netflix Canada): Wow. First time seeing this movie and I can't believe how long it has taken me to watch this. It's freaking good. Tons of mystery and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. I could've done without so much religious banter though.
She was seriously getting annoying. Especially in the beginning when she was preaching until the end of times.
Tons of likeable characters. Lots of twists and turns to keep your head guessing. I did not see the ending coming. Well kinda. I thought
the movie would cop out and the tanks and army would start to roll on by. My jaw dropped them when the gunshots went off. Didn't think he would actually pull the trigger and off all of them. Since I figured the movie would go for a happy book ending.

Fantastic movie. No wonder people love it. Definitely recommend it. 9.5/10

Ridley327

This is going to be a weird review, but I can't really express it any other way. Please bear with me while I try to work out some rather charged emotions.

WEEK THREE - SHOCK & AWE
October 14

Nearly half a day has past since I've seen the film for the very first time, and even now, I'm still struggling to find the correct sequence of thoughts that help put everything together nicely, neatly, and it's for a film that has neither nice nor neat in any of its near-100 minute duration. It's a film that pushes every moral boundary of what a filmmaker's responsibility is in delivering artistic expression, pushing well beyond the breaking point, spilling out much like the viscera on display. It's the kind of film that despite typing everything out for you in terms of its thematic aspirations, it still confuses you, partially because you can't resolve why it had to take things so far to get there, and that lingering thought that they perhaps should not have even bothered if this was going to be the ultimate result. Anger is almost assuredly the overriding emotion that anyone that gets through watching this for the first time feels, and even after the initial shock of what you just saw wears off, you can't let go of that feeling, that sense to say something about it, ranting, raving, or otherwise.

Not for one second does the film's reputation ever precede itself. The Most Controversial Film Ever Made. The One That Goes All The Way. The Most Savage and Brutal Film in All of History. Advertising slogans designed to titillate, to oversell, and yet there's nothing to oversell. This is the first film I've seen with this kind of reputation, this kind of gruesome mystique, this kind of appalling endorsement, and it is the truth. It's true. It's All Goddamn True. Yes, it all happens like they said it would, and it's even grislier than you could have imagined.

It pisses me off because it works. Why does this fucking thing work? Why would I ever think this is a good thing that it shatters every kind of on-screen taboo imaginable, and figuring that justifies almost all of it? What the fuck is wrong with this movie? What the fuck is wrong with me? The whole situation makes no sense. Why do I keep trying to make sense of it? What do I gain out of it making sense?

It shouldn't work at all, really. The first half of the film is too long, the dubbing of the actors is generally quite poor and the guys that worked on it should be thankful that the film's tone is so unrelentingly grim that it can't spoil it, it practically screams its message from the top of a building and makes no effort to be subtle about it, it has no one to root for, and goes where no film should ever go with its extraordinarily graphic depiction of real animal deaths. Not violence. Deaths. Messy ones. Not a single one of them should have ever happened.

But it works. Its format was groundbreaking, and continues to be groundbreaking. It's remarkably well-made in spite of its worst narrative tendencies, with so much ingenious staging that it really does feel real. It has to do with the way a lot of its violence is measured: you tell yourself that the violence isn't real, but then you see how its being depicted, the way the camera is directed at it and not pointed at it, and you start to doubt yourself. The animal violence is unforgivable, but with the exception of the first truly pointless and cruel murder, they are set up in such a way that further accentuates that second-guessing: what you're looking can't be real, but it has to be. It's unflinching in every sense of the term: you can close your eyes, and you can look away, but the film is still there. It's a horror film, but not the kind that you can emulate or reproduce. There is no Cannibal Holocaust with a hockey mask. There is no Cannibal Holocaust reboot on the way. There is just Cannibal Holocaust.

This isn't a film I can see myself giving a rating on any kind of scale. I find it to be truly pointless, because this isn't a film where you go ahead and say "I give this a _________ out of _________" and expect that to be the end of it. It can't be, because even after you turn off your DVD player, eject your VCR and rewind the tape, leave the theater, whatever format that you saw the film on, the film lingers. It stays with you whether you like it or not. And every time you remember anything about this film, no matter how small and insignificant that detail might be, it's all going to come back to you. Hum a few bars of its deceptively gorgeous theme, and you will see a scene pop into your mind once more. It's staying in that head of yours, and you can't do anything about it.

October 15 preview: While I try to shake lose my brain from the bombardment it has received in the past couple of days, the next challenge is a double feature of recent cult favorites. Dutch director Tom Six has unleashed upon the cinema world quite possibly its most bizarre creation in his film series of The Human Centipede. I've got both films currently released on the docket, and we shall see just where his twisted imagination will take me.

WorldStar

Banned
my VCR is dying on me, keeps eating my tapes whenever I rewind :(

this is really going to mess with my horror marathon viewing

especially because I was planning on picking up this ultra rare horror movie on VHS:

GhaleonEB

#14 | Pontypool | via Netflix streaming

Pontypool_zps2be20f4b.jpg

Well written, strongly acted and curiously unsatisfying, Pontypool is among the odder films I've seen this year. I'm glad I saw it, but it was a frustrating movie. But to describe why is to spoil. I'll just say that it's more suspense than horror (though there are a few horror elements), with fantastic dialogue and acting all around. The script is maddening at times, and the ending totally unsatisfying.

I'll be thinking about Pontypool for a while, which is more than I can say about most of the films I've watched so far. But even within its scope and concept, it could have been much more than a well acted, interesting idea.

kaiju

Day 12: Sssssss (1973)

tumblr_lt6q5xYGOK1qltk1go1_500.jpg

Watched this on a whim. This was a fun movie about delusional snake scientist Dr. Stoner, who creates a serum that can transform humans into reptiles, which he believes will save mankind from impending doom. He uses his intern David as his guinea pig for the experiments, and the results are disasterous.

Cool movie, very interesting and I actually learned a few things abouts snakes I had not known. This is a trippy 70's film full of live cobras, a strange hallucinogenic sequence, a guy turning into a snake, and a very abrupt ending. But I was entertained throughout!

Linkhero1

Oct. 1 The Evil Dead (1983) - Great
Oct. 2 V/H/S 2 - Good
Oct. 3 Blair Witch Project - Boring
Oct. 4 Sleepaway Camp - Great
Oct. 5 Drag Me To Hell- Boring
Oct. 6 The Possession - Great
Oct. 7 Session 9- Great
Oct. 8 Nightmare on Elm Street 2 - Boring
Oct. 9 [REC] - Great
Oct. 10 Evil Dead 2 - Fantastic
Oct. 11 Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil - Fantastic
Oct. 12 Ringu - Good
Oct. 13 V/H/S - Good
Oct. 14 Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Great

Dawn of the Dead (2004) -

I’ve been meaning to watch Dawn of the Dead for some time now. I haven’t watched many zombie horror movies so I’m not too familiar with the clichés in these films; however, I have played enough zombie games to develop a general idea. If I were to make a guess, Dead Rising creators were probably inspired by Dawn of the Dead to some extent. Even if they weren't, Dead Rising kept popping up in my head throughout the entire movie which lead me to believe they were inspired by it.

The movie starts off with the world functioning normally as it would today. An outbreak occurs within minutes with no explanation regarding the source. The main protagonist, Ana (there were several, but I would think as Ana as being the main protagonist), and her husband are attacked by their neighbor’s zombie turned child. Her husband's bitten and eventually turns. From that point she’s on her own and meets up with other survivors. I won’t say much more than that since I don’t want to spoil the movie.

The movie started off strong and it took a little of a dip because of the amount of confrontational scenes between the survivors. I found those scenes rather boring and was craving more zombie action. Guess what? The movie delivers. Zombies everywhere. Zombies creating havoc. The movie was suspenseful at times. My only gripe with the movie is how stupid some of the characters are. It’s a zombie apocalypse. Potentially the end times and now you decide to do stupid ass shit? That probably was the point of their character. Even so, I still wanted to punch some of them in the face.
I would say it met my expectations, even though I haven’t seen much zombie horrors.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
#14 | Pontypool | via Netflix streaming

Pontypool_zps2be20f4b.jpg

Well written, strongly acted and curiously unsatisfying, Pontypool is among the odder films I've seen this year. I'm glad I saw it, but it was a frustrating movie. But to describe why is to spoil. I'll just say that it's more suspense than horror (though there are a few horror elements), with fantastic dialogue and acting all around. The script is maddening at times, and the ending totally unsatisfying.

I'll be thinking about Pontypool for a while, which is more than I can say about most of the films I've watched so far. But even within its scope and concept, it could have been much more than a well acted, interesting idea.

Completely agreed with this. Such an interesting film, one I'll keep thinking about, but not one I'd call a good or scary movie.

Divius

Ridley327, your reviews sums up that inner feeling everyone has after watching Cannibal Holocaust quite nicely.

It's no reboot but apparently heavily inspired by Cannibal Holocaust: Eli Roth's upcoming The Green Inferno.

matt360

#14 - OCTOBER 14 - The Conjuring
CunlkFf.jpg

So much better than Insidious. It took a while to get started, and honestly, at first I didn't think I was going to like this movie. But everything was pretty solid. People behaving believably, no stupid skeptical father, and pretty much every character was better realized than their counterparts in Insidious. The tension buildups were very well done, and the backstory with psychic/demonologist was actually interesting. I really liked the room with all the trinkets from their different cases. It reminds me of that old Eerie Indiana show which I used to love as a kid, and makes me think they'll make some more movies with that couple on different cases. 7.5/10

Dascu

This is going to be a weird review, but I can't really express it any other way. Please bear with me while I try to work out some rather charged emotions.

WEEK THREE - SHOCK & AWE
October 14

*snip*

I doubt I want to watch the film, but this review made me check out the soundtrack.

That main theme, wow.

Ridley327

I read all that and I still have no idea if I want to watch it or not. *sigh*

Maybe I should just flip a coin.

Here's how I see the two sides of the coin.

If you don't want to see it, congratulations: you are a reasonably well-adjusted human being who understands that there is a such thing as going too far in filmmaking, and that your life is better off without bearing witness to such events.

If you do want to see it, congratulations: you are probably just a bit fucked-up, but understand that filmmaking this transgressive, dedicated, and important deserves more than just being read about.

Eklipsis

Rewatch
1. Nightmare on Elm Street 4-6/10
2. Paranormal Activity 3-7/10
3. Bad Moon-4/10
4. Body Snatchers-6/10
5. Cabin Fever-7.5/10

New
1. WWZ-9/10
2. Bug-8/10
3. V/H/S 2-8/10
4. The Caller-6.5/10
5. Sleepwalkers-5/10
6. Drive-Thru-4.5/10
7. Human Centipede 2-7.5/10
8. Lords of Salem-8/10
9. Exit Humanity-5/10
10. Splinter-8/10
11. This is the End-9/10
12. Red State-6/10
13. The Purge-8.5/10
14. Slither-7.5/10
15. The Covenant-6/10
16. The Collector-7.5/10

500px-The-collector_2009-1-1920x1080_scroller_zps5f4625a4.jpg

The Collector

A man breaking into a house gets more than he bargains for. I liked this one a little on the torture porn side but no too over bearing. Overall a good movie....7.5/10

devenger

Oct 14: Stake Land - Someone said the Road with vampires, very apt. I enjoyed it, despite a small twist that was a stretch. Mister was a cool character, and the acting was pretty well done. 7/10

haikira

*Title* = First time watching
2013zrkf8.jpg

Click any movie below for my "review"

01 American Mary 3.5/5
02 Evil Dead (2013) 3.5/5
03 Session 9 4/5
04 V/H/S 3.5/5
05 Hellbound: Hellraiser II 4/5
06 Mama 3.5/5
07 A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) 4.5/5
08 A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge 2/5
09 A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors 4.5/5
10 Sinister 3/5

11 A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master 2.5/5
I was surprised to find this is meant to be Englund's favourite. I don't think it was awful, but it was a big step down from Dream Warriors. They kill off the characters I wanted to see and give us a batch of characters, that for the most part, I don't really care about. The rules really start to make very little sense in this one too. Some of the special effects were great though and the ending is crazy. I think overall, I'd say I'm indifferent to this one. It has some scenes that make it worth watching, but it doesn't really come together.

12 Ju-on: White Ghost 2/5
After hearing that White Ghost and Black Ghost were surprisingly decent, I was actually pretty let down with the first. While a little unfair to criticise, the budget, or lack of, definitely hurts it. It has that made for TV/Internet feel to it, and no longer looks filmic and moody, like the past films. Effects are ok, the acting is all over the place and due to the run time, it spends too little time on each chapter. I'm maybe being a little too harsh and perhaps I'll bump in half a mark later on, but I definitely wasn't crazy about it.

WorldStar

Banned
off to buy a new VCR

if I score one I may have the chance to watch this gem tonight:

$(KGrHqZ,!lgE7G0QNHM3BO1BCnJis!~~60_35.JPG

I also need to post a review for the movie I saw at the horror film festival last night, Viscera.

Passionate%20Kiss_Viscera.jpg

Ridley327

WEEK THREE - SHOCK & AWE
October 15, part 1

From its first scene, The Human Centipede never quite fits what you think it's going to be. Not that it doesn't live up to the promise that the title proudly states, as there is, indeed, a human centipede, but it's surprisingly ancillary by the end. For a film with that kind of concept, it's surprisingly restrained in the violence department, with shots lasting only as long as they need to, rather than devolving into a special effects make-up spectacle, perhaps because a lot of the make-up is unconvincing due to the sheer logistics of what they needed to convey properly, but there's a concentrated effort to not revel in it. It's a remarkably nice-looking film, too, and far from the dingy look of most fringe productions, as director Tom Six has a good eye for visuals that unnerve you in just how ordinary they look on the surface. And for what amounts to a "mad scientist runs amok" tale, the madness is driven by something else other than unchecked pride or a bruised ego. Indeed, this might the first film of its kind driven by something on the opposite end of the spectrum: grief.

We meet our protagonist, Dr. Josef Heiter (Dieter Laser), at something of a turning point in his life. His dog, Three-Dog (yes, it's exactly what you think), has just died, and it has taken a severe emotional toll on the doctor. He's cared enough about the animal to even erect a small memorial at his home, honoring his/their memory. He seems less driven to go even further with his experiments by involving humans by simply proving it can be done than trying to find a way of moving on from his previous tragedy. His misanthropy seems driven by a desire for far simpler interactions, which a normal person can't really provide. And the only way that can happen is by complete transformation, something he can do quite well. Normal people would buy another dog. Heiter is not normal.

He continually tries to force three human beings to be something they're not, as he expects animal conditioning to work all the same. He doesn't even refer to them as people anymore, but as segments. Heiter doesn't have any expectation other than his creation working just like he envisioned, and if he has to keep swapping segments out to get to that point, if he has to perform further surgeries to erase everything human that remains, if he has to kill, he will. Even in success, he's completely delusional about how things work, and that's a big part of the reason why he works so well as a character. It's a story about a mad scientist that isn't undone by his creation, who can barely move around as it is, but by his own nature. Grief has transformed Heiter far more perversely than he has transformed three unlucky tourists, and he has become a true abomination. And Laser makes you believe every second of it, as his wise underplaying of a role that most willing actors would go way over-the-top for brings that necessary grounding that was required to make it so convincing.

It's hard to imagine Six not sympathizing with Heiter himself, as anyone but Heiter is treated, at best, as a disposable means to an end, which I imagine is the source of a lot of frustration that people have with the film. Those characters really aren't treated as more than just segments even prior to the surgery, and you never get a good feel of the tragedy that befalls them, rendering a lengthy escape sequence earlier on the film kind of pointless. The finale also makes far too many concessions to what the genre normally devolves into, resulting in a blood bath that's far less engaging than it looks like. And there's just no getting around just how odd the film is as a whole, how unconventional its execution is versus the rather simple setup. It doesn't fit into anything normal.

Normal isn't the point, though. It's a film that deals entirely with abnormality, from the plainly external to the deeply internal. It's subversive, because even though there are other characters, it's interpreted from the viewpoint of the madman, and you can't really process what's going on the right way because you're not that crazy. The film might be irreconcilable as a result of that, but I'd be hard-pressed to think of a similar film that pulls it off in that manner and still be so interesting to think about.

Top Bottom