• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

WorldStar

Banned
Lot of folks in here liked this, but figured some of you might want it. Mondo is releasing the new version of Maniac on VHS soon: http://blog.mondotees.com/2013/10/15/mondo-video-maniac-vhs-on-sale-10222013/

awesome thanks for the heads up! if you didn't notice, I'm fairly fond of VHS ;)

I typically don't collect newer films on VHS, but I sometimes have exceptions. Here is another example, was sorta interested in grabbing a copy of this:

horror-anthology-v-h-s-getting-a-limited-edition-vhs-release-123170-470-75.jpg

it's a limited edition release of V/H/S. only 300 were released, and they were released at some promo event in London.

day 14. movie 11. sleepaway camp.

JcZLSLd.jpg

i cannot levy any measure of critique against this film. its 95% nut-hugging shorts, bra-less teenage girls, inexplicably naked man butts, and 5% WTF.

everyone should probably watch this movie.

dat
ending reveal.

fallen-400x225.jpg

#2 Fallen (1996)
One of my favorites and I can't really say why. Maybe because the film blends two of my favorite genres together so well despite a 90s sheen of offbeat cheese. Maybe it's the palpable dread and gloom after the plot device is revealed because you just know there's no fucking way Hobbes is going to
walk away, much less survive, such a powerful force.
I believe the movie works because of its obvious love for horror and never blinking once in the face of disbelief at its premise. It's not Se7en territory and it's not trying to be. Plays it straight with plenty of surprising character beats and interactions that somehow transcend the body count. Clever, fun, mildly disturbing more than scary, it's just a wonderful way to spend two hours.

Plus, it's DENZEL.

Evidently, per some IMDB scanning, a fan edit exists where the ending is changed and
Azazel loses. Voiceover narrations are also removed, but I like those. Seems like Blade Runner fan syndrome almost.

Deep Red: ... Absolutely essential viewing for anyone interested in the work of Dario Argento or just the Giallo genre.
Agreed on all points, but I feel the pacing of Tenebrae puts it one traumatized child's step above. There's somewhere in Deep Red where David should have just stayed at the mansion instead of leaving and going back... I wish there was a way to see people's reactions to
the final mirror reveal
because I know I was AWED. AWED I SAY.

Sleepaway Camp: ... and 5% WTF.
Prude. :|

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
day 14. movie 11. sleepaway camp.

JcZLSLd.jpg

i cannot levy any measure of critique against this film. its 95% nut-hugging shorts, bra-less teenage girls, inexplicably naked man butts, and 5% WTF.

everyone should probably watch this movie.

dat
ending reveal.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/sleepaway-camp/

Listen. Laugh. Enjoy.

That episode should be mandatory if you watch the movie. Seriously, you probably won't laugh this hard in your life.

MattyH

movie 15 - Zombie Aka Flesh Eaters
mondo_zombieflesh.jpg

Lucio Fulci proving that anything the US could do the Italians can do better. do yourselves a favor and seek out the bluray

Ridley327

Agreed on all points, but I feel the pacing of Tenebrae puts it one traumatized child's step above. There's somewhere in Deep Red where David should have just stayed at the mansion instead of leaving and going back... I wish there was a way to see people's reactions to
the final mirror reveal
because I know I was AWED. AWED I SAY.

I knew it was coming, but I still loved the way David figured it out for himself.

I liked that it didn't cheat to get its villain, which has been a problem for, well, a lot of giallo in general, but Argento made a bit of a habit out of it. Even Tenebrae has a bit of that going on.

WorldStar

Banned
some of these older horror flicks feature women who are attractive in a certain way that seems to be lost nowadays

can't really put my finger on what it is exactly, but some of the women in 60s and 70s horror flicks had a unique elegance to them

anyways, cookie goes to whoever can identify what movie I'm currently watching by looking at my new avatar ;)

Necrovex

I need to play catch up today, so I am planning to watch two films that I haven't seen in years, Perfect Blue, and Sunshine.

The bigger reason why I am making this post is to ask about the AMC FearFest. How are the TV edits of Halloween, The Amityville Horror, and The Omen? I would list Child's Play, but AMC has decided to show all the other Child's Play films beside the first one. What the hell is up with both AMC and NetFlix when it comes to Child's Play I?!

MattyH

some of these older horror flicks feature women who are attractive in a certain way that seems to be lost nowadays

can't really put my finger on what it is exactly, but some of the women in 60s and 70s horror flicks had a unique elegance to them

anyways, cookie goes to whoever can identify what movie I'm currently watching by looking at my new avatar ;)

Black Christmas

i saw black christmas for the first time during last year's marathon and instantly became one of my favorites. it's tone, it's execution, and margot kidder being sloppy sexy drunk are all perfect.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/sleepaway-camp/

Listen. Laugh. Enjoy.

That episode should be mandatory if you watch the movie. Seriously, you probably won't laugh this hard in your life.
5 minutes in and this is already amazing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You are dead to me.

They look older than me and they're mystified by the way people are dressed in this movie, like it was some out-there artistic choice?
Everything else in that four minutes is also just a parade of ignorance. It's like listening to Musically-Oblivious-Eighth-Grade-Girl talk about music.
And they've never heard of the movie? GTFO.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
They look older than me and they're mystified by the way people are dressed in this movie, like it was some out-there artistic choice?
Everything else in that four minutes is also just a parade of ignorance. It's like listening to Musically-Oblivious-Eighth-Grade-Girl talk about music.

1) The podcast is all in good fun.
2) They talk and breakdown everything in every movie they do.
3) Surprise, people don't hear/know about every movie out there. I didn't hear about this movie until about a year ago. And I'm 26.

Linkhero1

2) They talk and breakdown everything in every movie they do.
3) Surprise, people don't hear/know about every movie out there. I didn't hear about this movie until about a year ago. And I'm 26.

Don't worry. I enjoyed the podcast. :)

I didn't know this movie existed until this thread too.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Don't worry. I enjoyed the podcast. :)

I didn't know this movie existed until this thread too.

Still the best movie ever to go into completely blind.

Has anyone seen the sequels? I'm thinking of watching it just for the sake of it. At least the second one.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Someone in this thread hated the second one. I personally found it to be maybe the funniest horror movie ever. The third is a lot like the second but not as good.

The part about being able to see the outlines of everyones' dicks through their shorts is good fun. The rest of what they say on that subject is good, old-fashioned dumb.

Linkhero1

Still the best movie ever to go into completely blind.

Has anyone seen the sequels? I'm thinking of watching it just for the sake of it. At least the second one.

I want to watch the second one for the sake of watching it as well. I don't expect any of the sequels to live up to the first movie.

White Man

Completely agreed with this. Such an interesting film, one I'll keep thinking about, but not one I'd call a good or scary movie.

Yeah, I loved Pontypool up until the zombies showed up and were explained. I really would have been satisfied if they went for a full on "don't show anything" final half. It had a good atmosphere up until it turned into a zombie flick

EDIT: Commenting on other stuff in the thread: I dug the first Human Centipede because it appeared to be really intentionally campy, whereas the sequel is really shitty because it seems to take itself more seriously and goes for cheap shocks.

Ridley327

Yeah, I loved Pontypool up until the zombies showed up and were explained. I really would have been satisfied if they went for a full on "don't show anything" final half. It had a good atmosphere up until it turned into a zombie flick

EDIT: Commenting on other stuff in the thread: I dug the first Human Centipede because it appeared to be really intentionally campy, whereas the sequel is really shitty because it seems to take itself more seriously and goes for cheap shocks.

I do suspect that I have a much stranger opinion on the first film than most, which makes me wonder just how the sequel will go down for me. Only one way to find out!

White Man

I do suspect that I have a much stranger opinion on the first film than most, which makes me wonder just how the sequel will go down for me. Only one way to find out!

I can't think of the "FEED HER! FEED HER!" scene without smiling. I'm smiling right now. In a meeting.

Sucks not many seem to be liking it but...

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 I feel is a very underrated horror movie. I personally love all the gay undertones and hidden commentary. First watching at age 7 or 8 I hated it because it didn't really fit in, and I felt the film didn't have enough of Freddy in it. Now I think it sits up there with the first and the third. It also doesn't really go into the comedy-horror aspects that I hated for ANOES.

I also respect that the film does not carbon copy the original film's formula. Something that all the sequels really did over and over again... recycling plots seem to be very prominent in general for the horror genre.

White Man

I dig Nightmare on Elm Street 2. It's never not entertaining. I quit judging things on a good or bad axis years ago and switched to an entertaining vs boring system. I don't think there's anything wrong with entertaining trash. I think season 1 of American Horror Story brought on this policy.

Linkhero1

Sucks not many seem to be liking it but...

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 I feel is a very underrated horror movie. I personally love all the gay undertones and hidden commentary. First watching at age 7 or 8 I hated it because it didn't really fit in, and I felt the film didn't have enough of Freddy in it. Now I think it sits up there with the first and the third. It also doesn't really go into the comedy-horror aspects that I hated for ANOES.

I also respect that the film does not carbon copy the original film's formula. Something that all the sequels really did over and over again... recycling plots seem to be very prominent in general for the horror genre.

I watched this really recently for the first time and was disappointed. My main issue with the film itself was how predictable a majority of the scenes were. It wasn't as comedic as some of the other Freddy films, I'll give you that.

Could you explain more about the hidden commentary?

I dig Nightmare on Elm Street 2. It's never not entertaining. I quit judging things on a good or bad axis years ago and switched to an entertaining vs boring system. I don't think there's anything wrong with entertaining trash. I think season 1 of American Horror Story brought on this policy.

My man. Same here. I don't like current rating systems. I just want to know if it's worth my time or not.

WorldStar

Banned
tempted to give this one a re-watch:

WP_20131015_005_zps853ae692.jpg

been at least 15 years since I've watched it...I recall it not even really being horror?

worth re-watching if I remember virtually nothing about it?

White Man

worth re-watching if I remember virtually nothing about it?

The narrative is a mess, Keanu and Winnona are awful, Gary Oldman, Tom Waits, and Anthony Hopkins chew scenery like pros, and the movie looks and sounds amazing. It's definitely worth a rewatch. I kinda watch it regularly. For all its problems, it keeps me coming back. The costumes are also off the hook.

Edit: also great soundtrack.

NIGHT-

Halloween 5

What a mess this movie is! The plot is terrible and introduces too many things to the franchise. Still, not as bad as the sequels coming next... Worth a watch to see some teenagers get butchered

5.5/10

I watched this really recently for the first time and was disappointed. My main issue with the film itself was how predictable a majority of the scenes were. It wasn't as comedic as some of the other Freddy films, I'll give you that.

Could you explain more about the hidden commentary?

Well... That the main character is struggling with his sexuality, and his inner gay demons. He tries to conform but bad things always happen. And it can be cured with a good woman's unconditional love (it seems that way anyways!) :)

Plus some of the dialogue is unintentionally funny (not over-top tongue in cheek humor of sequels but a better kind imo).

TAJ

Plus some of the dialogue is unintentionally funny (not over-top tongue in cheek humor of sequels but a better kind imo).

"Something is trying to get inside my body.”

“Yeah, and she's female, and she's waiting for you in the cabana. And you wanna sleep with me."

rogueriffers

Neo Member
4 minutes in and I'm done. Jesus, these people are stupid.

I agree with you. Being flabbergasted at small shorts is only entertaining for so long. As often as they repeat that they don't want to be negative or hate movies, they sure do a lot of it. They do have some genuinely good episodes, though, and that usually happens when they have a good guest host. The director of the third Punisher was on it and that was enlightening, and they had Greg Sestero (I think) who played the best friend in The Room. He had a lot of interesting things to say. I think the difference is that they're much better interviewers than they are entertainers.

Mind you, they're podcast is still probably leaps and bounds better than ours.

If you want smarter commentary that's more funny as well, try the Flophouse podcast.

All of the above is in my humble opinion of course.

Linkhero1

Well... That the main character is struggling with his sexuality, and his inner gay demons. He tries to conform but bad things always happen. And it can be cured with a good woman's unconditional love (it seems that way anyways!) :)

So those shirtless scenes and failure to make out with his gf weren't in the movie for nothing.

#22 Cannibal Ferox (1981)
8384187708_66c0e401dc.jpg

- Because of all the cannibal talk, decided to finally watch this one too. Now while Cannibal Holocaust is known as a fucked up movie that many found disturbing, Ferox here comes off as far more sleazy film. 3 students take a trip to the Amazon to disprove the notion of cannibalism and end up meeting up with a pair of Americans who claim to been attacked by cannibal tribe. Of course we find out that these douche bags took advantage of the tribe who are now out for revenge and everyone is screwed as they have reverted to their cannibalistic ways. While not as shocking as Holocaust, the film is still fairly fucked up with some famous gore scenes such as a castration and the hanging a girl on hooks by her tits. Like Holocaust, this movie will possibly bother some with footage of lots of live animals being killed. A live turtle is butchered in graphic detail and quite a few scenes of animals killing each other. A movie made to shock, but nowhere as good as the more famous Cannibal Holocaust.

October 15th

Film number 30: The Midnight Meat Train
Tagline: The most terrifying ride you’ll ever take.

Opening thoughts: Recommended to me by my eldest son for it’s ‘insane gore’. I normally try to avoid anything with Vinnie Jones in on principle.

856SK4o.png

Closing thoughts. That was hilarious. Nor sure if it was supposed to be, but I was genuinely LOLing. My boy was right about the gore, though some of the CGI was a bit dodgy. Much as it pains me to say this, I have to admit that Vinnie Jones was excellent in his role, though that might have been because the script for him was far from taxing.

Score: 6.5 out of 10. Mind the gap.

Film number 31: Static
Tagline: If they’re here it’s already too late

Opening thoughts: It’s got that Milo chap from Heroes in it.

NpxiPXQ.png

Closing thoughts: At one point, quite near the end, that Milo chap says “None of this makes any sense”, and he’s so right. Is it a ghost story? A psycho stalker fan story? A home invasion thriller? Some weird sci-fi thing? A meditation on grief? I’m writing this about 10 minutes from the end, and maybe I’m dense, but I’ve no clue what’s actually going on. I suspect a twist approaches.

Edit: Ok, it’s finished, and now I feel stupid. So many clues, and I missed them all.

Score: 6 out of 10. Must learn not to watch the start of a movie nearly a whole day before the end.

Watched so far:
October 1 - Wreckage (1/10) Storage (6/10)
October 2 - Absentia (9/10) Uninhabited (3/10)
October 3 - The Fallow Field (7/10)
October 4 - Insidious (6/10) The Devil's Rock (8/10)
October 5 - Seconds Apart (6/10) The Awakening (8/10) When The Lights Went Out (8/10)
October 6 - Lake Mungo (6/10) Cherry Tree Lane (8/10) The Seasoning House (9/10)
October 7 - Bruiser (2/10) Devoured (9.5/10)
October 8 - The Devil's Business (4/10) Session 9 (4/10) Needle (6.5/10)
October 9 - V/H/S (8.5/10)
October 10 - The Lords Of Salem (9.9 out of 10)
October 11 - Below (5/10) Dead Girl (6.5/10)
October 12 – Teeth (8/10) Little Deaths (10/10)
October 13 - Blood Night (5/10) Detention (7/10) American Mary (5/10)
October 14 - Citadel (8.5/10) Sawney: Flesh of Man (7.5/10)

"Something is trying to get inside my body.”

“Yeah, and she's female, and she's waiting for you in the cabana. And you wanna sleep with me."

"Hes inside me... and he wants to take me AGAIN! Christ, what do I have to do to make you understand me?!"

"He owns me..."

aFIGurANT

#13 - This is the End

Not exactly a horror movie, but it is definitely inspired by them. And how can you say a movie that features
a hellhound-rape of Jonah Hill
isn't trying to be something a bit more than a comedy. I liked it from start to finish even after the cameos stopped, and would definitely recommend this one as a humorous diversion from some of the heavier films about the same sorts of possessions and hell-spawn you'll see here. "I don't want to die at James Franco's house."

#14 - V/H/S

I can't say I loved this one. I think that differs from some of the reviews that you guys have posted here, but from what I'd read about this I was expecting a bit more cohesion and a scarier wrap-around (or whatever the story in between segments is called). The first segment had me locked in and I do love me some Ti West directing, but really beyond that I felt like a lot of the potential each segment had kind of petered out into conclusions that were lacking. I was mostly put off by the weird segment about the guy who lets girls be haunted by ghosts (or something...) so that he can see their titties and do creepy things to their bodies. It just didn't make a ton of sense and I found myself eager for it all to be over. Unfortunately the ending was nothing quite worth the time I'd invested in, and all that happens to the burglars
is a couple of deaths
and shrouded allusions to something bigger going on.

Necrovex

Twelth Film: Sunshine

Not a true horror film, but I decided it made the cut due to that final act. I loved the film. All of it. This was a rewatch, so I knew what was going to happen. The first time, I was lukewarm towards that act, but I loved it on my second viewing.

Cimteography, music, writing, Sunshine has it all. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Score: 5/5.

Thirteenth Film: Perfect Blue

I am a major Satoshi Kon fan. I have seen everything by him at least once. This is my fourth time watching Perfect Blue, and I am still learning new things about it. Surprisingly, I still haven't seen it in Japanese; I always watch the dub. Maybe next year, I'll watch it in its native language.

I loved so many things about Perfect Blue: the eerily music, the skittish writing, the tone, and the characters. Question:
Rumi killed everyone right? That's what I gathered from this viewing. I know she killed everyone after she murdered the photographer; creepy guy doesn't know where she lives or has access to her place.

Did she kill creepy guy after Mima escapes him?

This is in my top five favorite animated films, and it is my second favorite Kon's film.

Score: 5/5.

Top Bottom