• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

WorldStar

Banned
Day 14 | Screamfest Horror Film Festival Edition - Viscera (2014)

screamfestlogo.jpg

Synopsis for Viscera:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2709716/

In a post-apocalyptic plague-ridden world, a man and woman face unimaginable horrors when he suddenly becomes infected, and the only possible cure slowly drives him mad.

Went to the Screamfest horror film festival again this past Monday. Viscera is a lot like your typical outbreak/infection movie with a slight twist. Typically, it's the disease itself that causes zombie like violent behavior in your average zombie-ish type movie. In Viscera, it's the cure. This film forces you to ask the following question: If my loved one was infected with a disease that will slowly and painfully kill them, would I be willing to use a cure that will keep them alive but also drive them absolutely insane?

Passionate%20Kiss_Viscera.jpg

While the plot is somewhat interesting, the execution was unfortunately fairly weak. For the sake of keeping my review brief, where Viscera fails is that too little happens, and when something does happen it isn't interesting enough to keep you captivated. So basically the movie is boring.

This movie will be released some time next year. I can't say I recommend it unless you are simply a huge fan of outbreak type movies, in which case it might be worth a viewing. The previous film I saw at Screamfest that featured Katharine Isabelle is much, much better. See my review for it here.

WorldStar

Banned
I got some great news guys: Maniac (2013 remake) was just added to Netflix Instant!

If you haven't seen it yet, watch it! Must watch IMO. The movie is great.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
1. The Prophecy- 5/10
2. Event Horizon- 6/10

gotta catch up quick, so will do quick write ups.

3. The collection - This movie was trash. I didn't like the original, but I remember the initial reviews were pretty positive, and it eventually fell off. This is worse than I could've imagined. Terrible performances, corny music, etc. skip it.

3/10

4. John Dies at the End- I actually was enjoying this a decent amount for the first half hour even more, but it absolutely gets caught up in itself, and falls apart into craziness the further it goes. Really not very good.

5.5/10

5. Grave Encounters 2- first of many found footage films I've watched, I'm actually a fan of the genre despite all the hate. I had seen the first one, which I think is mediocre, but a decent time. This movie however is awful. Bizarre plot, with a terrible ending, and a very unlikable cast.

3/10

6. The Grey- I guess this qualifies as it has a few elements of horror, but why it's listed under this genre on Netflix is a bit confusing. Nonetheless I had heard some good things and I enjoy Liam Neeson. It's an ok movie, albeit completely ridiculous. Some of the dialog and writing is either right in your face or cheesy, but it's an ok movie. Worth a shot I guess.

6.5/10

7. Pumpkinhead- Well I'm running out of horror movies I haven't seen on netflix, and this is a movie I've caught glimpses of over the years, and it looked pretty hilarious so I figured why not. God what an awful movie, with a complete lack of any real plot, and a bunch of terrible people for characters. Lazy writing, lazy shooting, lazy everything. Funny to watch with friends though.

2/10

8. Hood of Horror- I love anthologies, and I love "so bad it's good", so I had to check this out. It delivers on a few so bad it's good moments. Wow thank God the stories are all nice and short, because the writing is incredibly bad, and yet again another movie with no characters worth a damn. Good time again if watching with friends.

2/10

9. Black Death- Been seeing the cover of this movie for a while now, whether on netflix, or in redbox. I'm a fan of seanbeans, but always thought the cover looked way too straight to dvd, but it popped up in the horror section and figured I'd give it a shot. Another borderline horror movie, but still a solid time. Some pretty good performances, and a fairly interesting plot make for a decent time. Enjoyed the ending for the most part as well. Nothing special, but overall decent.

7/10

10. Apollo 18- another found footage movie. I'd really only heard lousy things, but I figured I'd give it a shot after seeing it pop up on a few underrated lists. Wow, this is the worst movie on my list. At least the other bad movies had some entertainment value. This movie doesn't have nearly enough to last 90 minutes or w/e the run time is. It's not believable in the slightest, and there really isn't much tension, except the anxiety created by the poor camera work. Terrible, skip this, don't waste your time.

1.5/10

11. Leviathan- Got recommended this as a "alien ripoff", so I figured why not just check it out. It's not a terrible movie, and the cast is pretty solid, but overall it's very forgettable, and a lot about it just came off as cliche.

5/10

12. The Bay- Continuing with the found footage, I saw this on a list and was pleased to find it was on netflix. It was directed by Barry Levinson and sounded interesting enough. It's not a bad movie, but the "villain" so to speak isn't very scary, and the performances are really awful. It's funny how out of control found footage has become as far as the angles and how it's all edited together. Also the narrator is really awful.

5/10

13. Attrocious- Again with the found footage, and it was a mistake. it was conviently on netflix and it was fairly short so I figured I'd give it a shot. There really is no plot to this movie... it's so poorly explained and in the end really makes no sense. The main character is so bizarre, and pretty creepy in a creeper kinda way. The longest this movie should've been was a half hour. No scares either.

3.5/10

14. The Loved Ones.- Read about this one on a few lists. It's a lesser known horror movie, but I enjoyed it a decent amount. The plot is very disturbing, and a unique sort of story. A lot of it really doesn't work when you think about it, and some things are sort of forced, but overall it's a solid movie, and worth a watch.

7/10

Watching Poughkeepsie tapes tonight, will update tomorrow.

WorldStar

Banned
what websites do you guys use for horror news/reviews/discussions?

Currently I frequent Shock Till You Drop and Bloody Disgusting. I don't go to Fangoria much anymore because I feel like they've been on the decline.

Any other good ones?

October 16th

Film number 32: The Pact
Tagline: Are you alone in your house?

Opening thoughts: Wall face is creepy.

6ulWLtJ.png

Closing thoughts: Caity Lotz. And Caity Lotz. And also Caity Lotz. I like Caity. I like her lotz. I’m literally old enough to be her dad, and I’m thus a lecherous old pervert, but never mind.

Anyway, I loved this movie. Ignoring for a moment the swoon-inducing pulchritude of its star, The Pact is a classy, creepy, engaging ghost story with a serial killer edge. Very enjoyable.

Score: 8.5 out of 10. Hey freckles!

Watched so far:
October 1 - Wreckage (1/10) Storage (6/10)
October 2 - Absentia (9/10) Uninhabited (3/10)
October 3 - The Fallow Field (7/10)
October 4 - Insidious (6/10) The Devil's Rock (8/10)
October 5 - Seconds Apart (6/10) The Awakening (8/10) When The Lights Went Out (8/10)
October 6 - Lake Mungo (6/10) Cherry Tree Lane (8/10) The Seasoning House (9/10)
October 7 - Bruiser (2/10) Devoured (9.5/10)
October 8 - The Devil's Business (4/10) Session 9 (4/10) Needle (6.5/10)
October 9 - V/H/S (8.5/10)
October 10 - The Lords Of Salem (9.9 out of 10)
October 11 - Below (5/10) Dead Girl (6.5/10)
October 12 – Teeth (8/10) Little Deaths (10/10)
October 13 - Blood Night (5/10) Detention (7/10) American Mary (5/10)
October 14 - Citadel (8.5/10) Sawney: Flesh of Man (7.5/10)
October 15 - The Midnight Meat Train (6.5/10) Static (6/10)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yikes, looks like you watched some real turds there. Maybe watch something good to drag you out of the slums!

Haha yeah, this has been a tough year, simply because I've been lazy and most of the movies on netflix I've either seen or are garbage. I'm ok with it though, horror is a genre that is loaded with trash.

Mileena

Banned
13. Attrocious- Again with the found footage, and it was a mistake. it was conviently on netflix and it was fairly short so I figured I'd give it a shot. There really is no plot to this movie... it's so poorly explained and in the end really makes no sense. The main character is so bizarre, and pretty creepy in a creeper kinda way. The longest this movie should've been was a half hour. No scares either.

3.5/10

This movie has the most fitting name of any I've ever seen. It's Spanish, right? Such a piece of shit, I don't even remember if I finished it or not.

WorldStar

Banned
Will definitely add it to my queue.

I'm going to watch [REC] 2 tonight. :)

just a heads up, [REC] 3 is on Netflix Instant.

Despite the hate it gets, I enjoyed the American film based on it, Quarantine. If you've seen it and liked it, Quarantine 2 is on Netflix Instant too.

Easily among top 10 films of the year.

The next entry in the Elijah Woods hands trilogy, GRAND PIANO, is also great.

agreed man, the soundtrack is so perfect. the soundtrack itself warranted a re-watch for me, watching it right now.
the girl he picks up at the bar in the beginning of the movie, that whole scene at her apartment is great.
Starts at about the 13 minute mark.

Linkhero1

just a heads up, [REC] 3 is on Netflix Instant.

Despite the hate it gets, I enjoyed the American film based on it, Quarantine. If you've seen it and liked it, Quarantine 2 is on Netflix Instant too.

[REC] 3 is already in my queue. I've heard about Quarantine but everyone said to avoid it. Is it only similar style movie or does it take a lot from [REC]? If it's more or less the same as [REC] but in America, I might pass.

WorldStar

Banned
[REC] 3 is already in my queue. I've heard about Quarantine but everyone said to avoid it. Is it only similar style movie or does it take a lot from [REC]? If it's more or less the same as [REC] but in America, I might pass.

It's so similar I'd call it a shot-by-shot remake, even though the film is supposedly only based on [REC]. It's like a shittier American version of [REC].

Still, I liked it.

Linkhero1

It's so similar I'd call it a shot-by-shot remake, even though the film is supposedly only based on [REC]. It's like a shittier American version of [REC].

Still, I liked it.

I might check it out outside of the 31 Days of Horror Marathon. The second movie sounds more interesting only because it differentiates itself from [REC] unlike the first.

WorldStar

Banned

Linkhero1

Quarantine 2 somehow has an 86% on Rotten Tomatoes even though I thought it was far from anything great. (have I mentioned I hate Rotten Tomatoes?)

IMO the weakest [REC] movie is better than Quarantine/Quarantine 2, so yeah definitely watch those first.

I only go to RT to look over user reviews. RT score means nothing to me :)

I have no doubt about that. [REC] was superb in my book. I don't see the rest of the [REC] movies topping it off. There's no doubt about them being as enjoyable.

RK4NowL.png

Rewatch. Fun fact: Ginger Snaps was what got me into film. I had a period between when I was ~12-14 years where I gave up on film and simply said 'film isn't for me' and didn't watch movies. Then I watched Ginger Snaps and from there it wasn't long before I was soaking my teeth in the meaty goodness of Tarkovsky. But I hadn't watched it since I was 15 or something so does it hold up? Well, it has some pretty obvious issues: the soundtrack selection can be awfully cheesy, and some characters kinda just fade out of existence in the third act. Perhaps it's nostalgia (it definitely is to some degree) but goddamnit I still really like it. 3/3

efk4yZF.png

Rewatch. It was equally long since I saw the sequel but I remember it as being enjoyable but not nearly as good as the original. That's still where I stand after this rewatch. Not gonna rewatch The Beginning cause fuck that movie. 2/3

oOaLOSv.png

Edgar Allen Poe + Marquis de Sade + Jan Svankmajer. So it's a bit like Salò with stop-motion interludes. If that doesn't pique your interest, you belong in a mental institution so you should watch the film regardless. 3/3

WorldStar

Banned
I still haven't seen Ginger Snaps 2. Didn't like the first all that much. If Katharine Isabelle makes an appearance in the sequel I might check it out just for her.

As I said, huge deal of nostalgia there. I'm normally pretty resilient to nostalgia, but not in this case.

Katharine Isabelle's in it but it's not a very large part.

rogueriffers

Neo Member
I thought that was pretty good, as far as remakes go. It's not like the original was high art to begin with. And Diora Baird makes anything better.

It's nice to see Edward working. I thought it was a pretty decent movie. Of course, I love the original. Might not have been high art, but it perfectly captures the feel of halloween at a younger age in a suburban town. Parties, haunted houses, girls, loud music. One of my favorite movies ever. Also goddamn Linnea Quigley!
Besides, if you think the acting in that movie is subpar, you should see one of Tenney's other films: Witchtrap. It even has a few of the people from NOTD in it.

WorldStar

Banned
As I said, huge deal of nostalgia there. I'm normally pretty resilient to nostalgia, but not in this case. Katharine Isabelle's in it but it's not a very large part.

I saw Ginger Snaps for my first time a few months ago, so yeah I don't have any nostalgia at play.

Definitely know what you mean though, I enjoy tons of objectively bad movies simply because nostalgia (not saying Ginger Snaps is a bad movie).

It's nice to see Edward working. I thought it was a pretty decent movie. Of course, I love the original. Might not have been high art, but it perfectly captures the feel of halloween at a younger age in a suburban town. Parties, haunted houses, girls, loud music. One of my favorite movies ever. Also goddamn Linnea Quigley!
Besides, if you think the acting in that movie is subpar, you should see one of Tenney's other films: Witchtrap. It even has a few of the people from NOTD in it.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I didn't mean that as an insult towards the original. It's a fun movie and I enjoy it. I just don't think it's some sacred cow that shouldn't be remade. They're both pretty solid movies. And yeah Linnea!

I don't think I've seen Witchtrap, but I'll rake a look.

Edit: Oh yeah, Scream Factory is doing a NotD BD next year too, aren't they? I do think it's about time I gave it a rewatch.

Ridley327

I do think that Ginger Snaps is a good film on its own merits, but I think what elevated it for me was having two younger sisters growing up, who were inseperable like the Fitzgeralds were, and I could actually relate to a lot of the stuff they did when it came to showing that relationship and its ups and downs, even before Ginger gets bit.

WorldStar

Banned
I do think that Ginger Snaps is a good film on its own merits, but I think what elevated it for me was having two younger sisters growing up, who were inseperable like the Fitzgeralds were, and I could actually relate to a lot of the stuff they did when it came to showing that relationship and its ups and downs, even before Ginger gets bit.

You're not alone, it's generally considered a good film. Pretty much every review I've read has been glowing. I actually watched it with high expectations because of all the praise I heard, which didn't help.

This may sound weird but I found the film somewhat irritating. Probably has something to do with the fact that I hated every character
(except Katharine Isabelle towards the end, when she gets slutty and violent)

Although using the werewolf myth as a metaphor for puberty was original to say the least; I'll give it that.

Well, every character in it either does pretty obviously bad shit or is utterly clueless so they're not exactly likable...

But it has its clear merits while also having major flaws. My nostalgia is making it easy for me to focus on the merits while ignoring the flaws. The at times really silly soundtrack would probably be almost a dealbreaker for me if I watched it fresh today.

I think there are very, very few things I'm nostalgic towards which are simply bad. The only thing I can think of is Staind. I still occasionally listen to them yet I think they don't have a single redeeming quality.

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 16 - Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning (2004)

Gingersnapsback.jpg

Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning (2004) - This is the final and weakest of the films chronicling the saga of the Fitgerald sisters; this one set some 185 years before the preceding films, in the wilds of the Canadian Northwest. Period staging and characters notwithstanding, the sisters are essentially the same characters we've seen before, and this film echoes the first in a number of ways. Still worth checking out, as it's a decent werewolf tale in its own right, somewhat reminiscent of Ravenous in its characers, isolation and period, though not up to that standard of creepy...

Special Bonus TV Episode

2011-07-27-tales_from_the_crypt.jpg

Tales From The Crypt "The Secret" (1990) - Back in the early '90s TV was just experimenting with the cable channel formula that allowed for more risqué or mature fare to be produced for the television audience. In its day, Tales From The Crypt was one of the more "adult" programs on offer, at least in terms of nudity and gore which were ground-breaking for a TV series on its release. Now I grew up long before personal computers or even cable TV (and long before anyone thought that comics would one day prove "collectible", for that matter) and like a lot of my bored and listless friends in the '60s I read a lot of old Tales From The Crypt, Weird War and Vault of Horror comics, so this series really hit a solid nostalgic note with me. So I thought I'd pull out my DVDs and enjoy this episode again in the spirit of my Lycanthropy-themed 31 Days of Horror. The Secret is from the second season, and features a Vampire couple who decide to adopt a young boy and fatten him up on cakes and pies for a moonlight feast ("sweeten the blood!") , only to have their young charge throw a lycanthropic wrench into their plans. Great fun.

rogueriffers

Neo Member
Been doing some movies I found on a list of Heavy Metal Horror Movies.

1. Shock 'Em Dead - This one was amazing. Oh my lord. It's about a nerdy kid who
sells his soul to a voodoo priestess for a heavy metal career. He becomes an amazing guitarist, but has to kill people in order to survive
. It doesn't get too much weirder than that. There are a few decent songs (more hard rock than heavy metal but I'll take what I can get). Oh, and traci lords is in it, but stays ironically clothed the whole time.

2. Deadly Blessing - Couldn't even stay interested in it long enough to finish. I'm starting to think Wes Craven is more than a little overrated. I liked Shocker, Nightmare I, II, III, and IV, and People Under the Stairs (and in a terrible way Invitation to Hell), but I've seen just as much that wasn't any good at all. This wasn't one of the heavy metal movies. Nightmare part III might qualify because of the dokken song on the soundtrack.

3. Blood Tracks - Another Heavy metal horror movie. Pretty decent possibly italian movie that's more suspense or something than horror. A heavy metal band
is trapped by an avalanche and starts getting killed one by one. Turns out it's just people living underground
. For some reason.
Not bad. Probably a much better movie than Shock 'em Dead, but less entertaining.

aFIGurANT

#15 - Psycho
psycho-poster.jpg

Pretty great suspense flick, but what else would you expect from the Hitch. I am going to count this as horror since I'm behind on my daily quota but in all truth it's more of a creepy descent into the mind of someone with parent issues. More could be said, but since this was my first viewing of it I'll leave the high-level analysis to other minds. I will say, though, that I can see how the Bates Motel has become such a nice euphemism - the hotel was creepy from the first we see Norman Bates and doesn't stop being so even after the credits roll. This one has aged very well.

Day 10
bqr.gif

"I'll see you later."

Synopsis via IMDB: As he helps a young artist with her upcoming exhibition, the owner of a mannequin shop's deadly, suppressed desires come to the surface.

First off, just a word on the original film. I've got to give Joe Spinell some props, he not only took on very challenging and daring role, but for the most part he played that role well. I was creeped out from him early on, and his monologues were very effective. He also co-wrote the story and the film seems very much like his baby. Also, the effects are fantastic, but that is what should be expected of Tom f'n Savini. I also the cameo that he had in the movie, and a certain scene in this film definitely one-upped a similar scene in Dawn of the Dead. (If you have seen both, then you will know what I'm talking about).

I mentioned previously that I didn't care for the original at all, that's not completely true though. I was invested from the first scene until it lost me about a half hour in. There are pacing issues all of the place, with the biggest offender being when the love interest is shoe-horned into the story. It felt like two different films at that point, and though that might have been the intention, it wasn't really a good one. After that initial thirty minutes I became bored most of the time, and the remainder of the movie blends together for me which is giving me a lot of trouble trying to piece together scenes. Speaking of which, the stalking scenes failed to elevate any tension and while the payoff to them was worth it for the Savini effects, there wasn't too much creativity involved. I respect Spinell for the dedication he gave here. There is a good movie to be made based on the premise and I can see why there is a fanbase for it, but unfortunately I wasn't one of those people.

Somehow though, I absolutely loved the remake. The main story points are the same, from the mannequins, to the love interest, and even down to the ending. The difference is that the director knew how to make the scenes breathe, and instead of adding unnecessary plot points which could potentially hurt the movie, he paces the story very nicely and effectively builds tension throughout. Maniac uses a gimmick where at least 90% of the picture is shot in first person, which in turn makes the viewer the killer. The effect is pure horror, so don't expect any fun to be had. Thankfully, the effects here are mostly practical. There is still cgi in places but it is hidden well. This goes for most films, but the added realism here is essential and makes the film more disturbing. The effects might not carry the magic of Tom Savini but I winced quite a few times, I think he would proud. Elijah Wood did an exceptional job portraying our Frank Zito. This is the type of role that I have been waiting on him to take since Sin City. He is a very terrifying individual but at points you almost feel sympathy for the guy, which is something I didn't feel while watching Joe Spinell portray the same role. Also of note, is that the musical score is not only great, but is becoming on of my recent favorites.

I'm not sure if my opinion is controversial or not, but I stand by it. If Maniac can stand up to multiple re-watches. It could potentially join the league of great horror remakes such as Cronenberg's The Fly and Carpenter's The Thing.

9/10

vue.gif

Ridley327

WEEK THREE - SHOCK & AWE
October 16

Funny Games is an absolutely top-notch thriller that's not afraid to rock the boat in what you expect from a home invasion film, finding ways of subverting your expectations for how scenes will play out, leaving you genuinely unnerved for its entire duration. Funny Games is also a film that hates you for thinking that it's an absolutely top-notch thriller that's not afraid to rock the boat in what you expect from a home invasion film, finding ways of subverting your expectations for how scenes will play out, leaving you genuinely unnerved for it entire duration, so I'm not really sure what the hell to think now. Anger, maybe, for a film that's too impressed with itself for scolding viewers for daring to enjoy good filmmaking? I don't know, and I don't think the film does, either.

October 17 preview: Considered by fans as the extreme of the French extreme horror movement of the previous decade, Martyrs has been shocking just about everyone since its release, and it's time for me to find out why.

kaiju

Day 15: Galaxy of Terror (1981)

Mindwarp.jpg

I don't mean to go all hyperbole here, but this movie blew me away. I was expecting a super-cheesy sci-fi horror romp, and for the most part that's all it was. But Galaxy of Terror is loaded with young talent, many who would go on to do great things in the industry, and that made me appreciate it even more.

Robert Englund plays a crewman named Ranger in one of his earliest roles. Erin Moran, aka Joanie from Happy Days, plays an empath named Alluma. Sid Haig, the creepy guy from the Rob Zombie films, plays a crystal-throwing psycho soldier. Grace Zabriskie from Twin Peaks plays a pilot addicted to hyper-speed. And Taaffe O'Connell, a bit actress from T.V. shows such as Three's Company, claims her Scream Queen crown in this one.

The plot is basically about a distress signal on a far-distant planet which is answered by the crewmen of the spaceship Quest. They crash land on the planet and discover a massive pyramid, and when they explore it they find out that the only thing they're exploring is each other's greatest fears.

James Cameron served as Production Designer for this movie, and for how limited the budget was, Cameron came up with some amazing set pieces. And then there's the aliens, and the hilarious scene with the giant worm.

galaxy-of-terror-approaching-the-pyramid.jpg

#16 Troll (1986) Oct 16

At first I wanted to say something like this is a spin-off/cross-over of Harry Potter and Seinfeld. But this film turned out to be awfully depressing. It basically deals with loneliness, escapism and how magic is going away from this world. Father that prefers to dance to the music of his youth instead with spending time with his kids. Mother who does not care that her daughter is undergoing changes. Boy that is consumed by world of fiction.
But what killed all the funny was Professor character. Troll's origin explanation is a downer too - after all history is written by victors.

WorldStar

Banned
it seems I'm on a Jess Franco kick

tonight's viewing: Vampyros Lesbos

been a very, very long time since I viewed this one so I'm not sure what to expect. although I do remember this one being a trip...

GhaleonEB

#16 | Jeepers Creepers | via Netflix DVD

Jeepers_Creepers_zps6bccbd2d.jpg

I've seen a lot of crappy horror movies where characters do the obviously, stupidly wrong thing when there's a monster around. But I've never seen a movie as relentlessly based on the sheer stupidity of the lead characters as Jeepers Creepers.

I generally avoid spoilers but I gotta list'em here. Spoilerz!

--They know a freaky hostile dude tossed bodies down a chute. They decide to go back instead of calling the police.

--They decide to lean way into the tunnel. After (predictably) falling, our bozo hero spends FOREVER working his way out.

--Knowing the dude will be able to tell he was there, and come after them, they leave their car parked out in front of the gas station. FOR HOURS.

--They see the police car following them get wreaked. Then STOP.

--They flee the Creeper. THEY STOP AGAIN.

--They run over the Creeper. THEN STOP YET AGAIN TO STARE.

--They get to the police station. Then when it's under attack they immediately follow psycho lady AWAY FROM ALL THE COPS and isolate themselves. The place has a couple dozen cops in it and they run away from ALL of them.

--My only disappointment is they didn't both get eaten.

The creature was great, loved his look and attitude, and how little they explained about him (wish they had found a better way than a random psychic to do it, though, good lord). It was refreshing to have a brother/sister relationship, rather than a tacked on romance plot. And several scenes, mostly involving the Creeper, were just freaky and fun.

This movie exists as a warning to other stars of horror movies: don't be this stupid. Most of the movie involved watching idiots do exactly the wrong thing, in slow motion.

Creature was fun, and it had a nice sense of menace though much of the film. But holy shit this was almost unbearable to watch.

WorldStar

Banned
IIRC Jeepers Creepers III is currently in production.

no idea who thought that would be a good idea.

then again most horror flicks aren't.

haikira

As someone who considers himself a big fan of Carpenter, Ironically there're still a couple of his beloved films I've yet to see. One of them being They Live. I'm putting together a horror bundle on Amazon at the minute and I'm just wondering, is it classed as a horror around here?

I'm also going to grab In the Mouth of Madness, I think.

Funny Games
German or English version?

I'm also going to grab In the Mouth of Madness, I think.
I think In the Mouth of Madness is simultaneously horrible and awesome. People actually act with a bit of sense. "Oh no! Monster!" "Eh. I guess we'll just drive away in this car that we have. No sweat." "Oh no! We're back with monsters!" "Guess we'll just drive away again. No biggie."

It makes it both very refreshing and completely unsuspenseful. It's both "everything is futile!" and "oh, that was easy!" at the same time.

Top Bottom