• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

Well, I never played that beyond a demo, but I'll take your word on it. As for Confrontation here, it just doesn't look exciting. Graphically it seems fine (not great by any stretch, but acceptable), but if they aim to draw people away from already existing MP games it has to feel exciting. Haze is the same way, sounds technically awesome but it doesn't exactly look exciting to play.

Doel

AltogetherAndrews said:
Well, I never played that beyond a demo, but I'll take your word on it. As for Confrontation here, it just doesn't look exciting. Graphically it seems fine (not great by any stretch, but acceptable), but if they aim to draw people away from already existing MP games it has to feel exciting. Haze is the same way, sounds technically awesome but it doesn't exactly look exciting to play.
It's "SOCOM". Thats really enough. For people that have played it they know.

Sony's real challenge here is to get people who haven't given SOCOM a try yet, a shot.

Greg

Sony's real challenge is to find footage of me playing Crossroads, instantly selling it as the best map ever created in a game.

Seriously, all my buddies still talk about how amazing S2 was... get some better netcode and bump it up to HD and I'll buy it at a high price.

I just want it to be like the first SOCOM with the awesome hit-detection. A few shots and you're down for the round. Yes, round. Makes you value your life that much more.

spwolf

at the end, delay it as much as you want, give it as much go as possible and then release it... as with every game there is.

Greg

While I'm reminiscing, I have to bring up what me me and my buddies made...

Map: Chain Reaction
-Make a fake name/clan tag
-Create 20 minute respawn room, sides divided by clan tags, and put yourself on seals
-Have 7 of your buddies join (the room forces them on terrorist side because they are not in your fake clan)
-Equip everyone with 2 RPGs and the DE
-Force the game to start, leave the game, log onto your real name, and join the game again (this puts you in a game which no one else can join the opposite side, and allows all your buddies to be on the same team/voice chat)

Rules:
You must use your 2 RPG rounds before you are allowed to fire your pistol

If you familiar with the mechanics of S2 (RPG vs. DE), you can understand the entertainment this brings. :lol

PAYBACKill

TAJ said:
This is a PS3 game? <looks at screenshots again> Really? Ouch.

socom 2 didnt even look like a ps2 game.

anyway , party system is neat for casuals...but casuals will leave after 2 months when a new game is out. Hardcore gamers stay. lobby system is critcal for clans to find pick up wars. Critical. Must not be left out or hidden.

PAYBACKill

Greg said:

-Create 20 minute respawn room, sides divided by clan tags, and put yourself on seals
-Have 7 of your buddies join (the room forces them on terrorist side because they are not in your fake clan)
-Force the game to start, leave the game, log onto your real name, and join the game again (this puts you in a game which no one else can join the opposite side, and allows all your buddies to be on the same team/voice chat)

Rules:

If you familiar with the mechanics of S2 (RPG vs. DE), you can understand the entertainment this brings. :lol

sounds ehh.

Where was I? Oh, thats right. stomping ass in clan wars with pure s2 action. casual socom players fucking suck!

dralla

PAYBACKill said:
socom 2 didnt even look like a ps2 game.

anyway , party system is neat for casuals...but casuals will leave after 2 months when a new game is out. Hardcore gamers stay. lobby system is critcal for clans to find pick up wars. Critical. Must not be left out or hidden.

Resistance has both, so should this.

and a party system does not replace a lobby, it's just a way to get into a lobby with friends

Arsenic

Greg said:

Rules:

Haha,me and my clan used to do something similiar. Before a patch, we would do a countdown in the game lobby right before everyone greens, and the one person on the opposite side would switch over at the exact moment. So everyone ended up on one team.

Another thing we did was have a second ps2 (a majority in my clan had multiple PS2s) log in and sit in the seals side. So everyone else was on the terrorist. Of course the room was passworded so no one else got in.

Respawn with our own rules were fun. Grenades only in Frostfire (underground tunnels) is something everyone shouldve tried.

Damn man you just brought back a ton of memories lol.

Arsenic

dralla said:
Resistance has both, so should this.

and a party system does not replace a lobby, it's just a way to get into a lobby with friends
But resistance didnt have a well layed out lobby like the socom games. It was just one straight list. Invading another server (East 5, for example) or having an internal war so we can have a top clan of a server was so fun.

Another thing about it was, it allowed you to play with familiar people, those that are not on ur friends list or clan. I was more games had this

Doel said:
It's "SOCOM". Thats really enough. For people that have played it they know.

Sony's real challenge here is to get people who haven't given SOCOM a try yet, a shot.

I haven't played any of the SOCOM's and I am definitely purchasing this baby.

dralla

Arsenic said:
But resistance didnt have a well layed out lobby like the socom games. It was just one straight list. Invading another server (East 5, for example) or having an internal war so we can have a top clan of a server was so fun.

Another thing about it was, it allowed you to play with familiar people, those that are not on ur friends list or clan. I was more games had this

ok, so they could still do both. It doesn't have to be exactly like Resistance..they can add sub-servers. just increase the freakin 256 cap. so annoying

GQman2121

Banned
One of the developers posts on the playstation.com boards every Friday, but has yet to post today.

Everyone is getting really impatient with no new news coming out since the summer. So many questions and no answers.

All I really want to know is a time frame for a beta.

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
"Pretty good", whether that refers to presentation or game quality, isn't going to cut it right now, PSN title or not. There's some fierce competition right now.

Not that I'm particularly fond of it, but how exactly has it remained stagnant? If anything, it's changed far too much from the original format.

I meant going from GRAW 1 to GRAW 2, instead of Ghost Recon to GRAW.
gladtomeetya.gif

Doel

New 'news' coming next week!

Hey SOCOMers,

I have been working on a small tidbit of news to comment on for my post this week but it got caught up in approval so I’m hoping everything resolves for early next week. It’s not a huge announcement and won’t be earth shattering but it is a topic that the community is interested in.

Till next week
SealTeam-6 out

Good to see the flow of information is finally going to start, and just as I predicted...after the release of Uncharted.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
AltogetherAndrews said:

like the other guy said..it's SOCOM. I still thurst for that classic S1 and S2 gameplay. Nothin has even come close...except 25 to life but those basturds decided to like NOT bug test it or something.

I can't wait!

and BTW.....Abandoned was the greatest map ever.

ever.

Just watched some E3 gameplay montage, and something that stood out was the complete lack of ambient sounds, equipment rustling and footsteps. Is that something they are implementing?

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Just watched some E3 gameplay montage, and something that stood out was the complete lack of ambient sounds, equipment rustling and footsteps. Is that something they are implementing?

It probably has some placeholder stuff, I wonder how much though. There were a lot of stuff they needed to work on, maybe they delayed it because they knew they had a shit ton to work on, and I don't think they can just rely on the brand anymore because the COD brand is really strong and the GRAW brand is really strong (the games might not be but the brand is strong). Like I said, I doubt they can match COD4 because it's such a big budget retail product and Confrontation might not have THAT kind of budget but they could probably beat GRAW if they really put some real work on it, just because of the gameplay style.

SOCOM style gameplay is just so classic with that no-nonsense controls that the player is not disoriented, you're not totally dizzy from all the weird camera angles, there's no nausea-inducing roadie-run. You kill what you shoot, no blind-fire bullshit, no "I'm shooting a whole clip and the damn alien/locust/shitfaced enemy doesn't die" bullshit, no "there's so much fucking action going on that I don't fucking know who to shoot" bullshit. It's like why Halo and Resistance are so successful because they're just easy and intuitive.

They really need to up that graphics and put in a ton of content, those should be their main goals, the edge tools should have a lot of those graphical features, like HDR, like self-shadowing, like dynamic shadows, like animation blending, if Luisi wants SOCOM Confrontation to be big it really has to have that layer of polish that really distinguishes the game enough to really impress the press and people in general in order to get that hype which leads to sales.

Doel

Their update this week was just a confirmation of the EGM article. Not going to bother putting it on the front page but if you want to read the post here it is:

Hey SOCOMers,

Sorry about the delay on the small bit of news I hinted at last week but I have your update in hand. SOCOM: Confrontation has officially been pushed back to 2008. To quote the latest issue of EGM in regard to Confrontation’s new release date.

“[It was] purely due to the fact that we didn’t want to compromise the quality of SOCOM Confrontation,” says Sony Producer Mark Rogers.

So there you have it guys; even though you may want Confrontation now, our main focus is quality. We are making this game for you and we want to be proud of what we deliver to the fans.

On a side note, SOCOM: 3 / SOCOM: Combined Assault just received a patch (which I am sure you are all aware of by now) and you can check out the details here: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.i
d=barracks&thread.id=107562

Also please continue posting your questions. As long as they pertain to the things that have been shown or announced so far, I can try and give some insight.

Have a really great Thanksgiving everyone!

-SealTeam-6 out

PS. I am very jealous thinking about the fresh turkey and stuffing you guys below the border are enjoying while we here at Slant Six are busy at work.

Ravenn17 said:
Like who? I played on GB as well.

I was in EA (evil alliance) leader was EXPERT SHOT and [c] (alt c btw) and the leader was c. Both top 10's at one point, [c] was actually number 1 for a couple months. Good times though.

PAYBACKill

Agent Ironside said:
I was in EA (evil alliance) leader was EXPERT SHOT and [c] (alt c btw) and the leader was c. Both top 10's at one point, [c] was actually number 1 for a couple months. Good times though.

GB clans were largely a farce, they routinely got knocked out by TSK, PAY, SNY, SF clans.

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:
Their update this week was just a confirmation of the EGM article. Not going to bother putting it on the front page but if you want to read the post here it is:

They had a lot of work to be done in terms of visuals if they really want to compete with what's out there, it's probably for the best that they are delaying it until next year. Oh and maybe now with more time they can add that party system to their list of online features.
Indifferent2.gif

Wollan

I think these guys need to take a serious look at COD4. It has a pretty excellent visceral feel (even if the environments are stale) with a lot of dust getting kicked up..etc plus that ever lovely score text bouncing up from each kill.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:
I think these guys need to take a serious look at COD4. It has a pretty excellent visceral feel (even if the environments are stale) with a lot of dust getting kicked up..etc plus that ever lovely score text bouncing up from each kill.

I do think it's a good idea to check out what the competition is doing, that should keep them on their toes in terms of multiplayer features and how gameplay can be tuned and balanced.

On the other hand, I hope they don't try to emulate COD4 single player too much, the problem I had with COD4 sp campaign was that it's terribly archaic and cheap in the way it throws enemies at you non-stop, that and in their attempt to make things more immersive, they tried to mess around too much with the player's in-game view.

I'm almost leaning towards how Uncharted handled the player's view with minimal hud, or how Resistance and HALO 3 handled it as well, it's so easy to see everything, you never get disoriented, I really abhor the whole "roadie run" camera that Gears had and ME tried to copy, I don't need the camera going absolutely crazy when I run fast, it's more "cinematic" yes, but it so hurts the playability.

Ramirez

I'm so excited for this game, Socom 2 was about as awesome as it's ever gotten for realistic shooters. Only thing holding it back was the bad net code, this will have dedicated servers right? :D

Doel

Not going to put this on the front page of links, but its worth posting. Weekly update just re-affirms that we definitely won't be seeing any vehicles in Confrontation.

Hey SOCOMers,

I noticed that there was a bit of a debate going on in this thread in regards to SEALs using vehicles during their missions so I thought for this week I could tell a story. To be honest I can’t clarify 100% one way or another if SEALs use vehicles in combat the SEAL consultants that I have spoken to are very vague when talking about their missions (they are top secret) but I have heard a few things. A while back two SEALs consultants came to Slant Six to teach us about teamwork in combat situations as well as procedures and tactics utilize in the field. Listening to them was interesting and enlightening as well as painful as we were taught our lessons while playing Airsoft. Let’s just say in the video games I play I am a very good shot but in real life the SEALs consultants that we worked with were champs not to mention very good sports.

It was during these sessions that one of the SEALs consultants told a story about being in a convoy. He was the driver of a Humvee at night while wearing monocular style night vision goggles. He explained that the difficulty in this task was the combination of the loss of depth perception (because of the NV goggles) while following another Humvee while also keeping an eye out for any unusual activity. He didn’t enlighten us to whether this was a training exercise or a mission but you could tell there was an element of danger in his task as he mentioned continually scanning for any signs of land mines and driving bumper to bumper at high speeds while in night vision. In general his story was less about driving vehicles and more about how adaptable SEALs are in order to perform under any conditions and in any situation.

So that’s my contribution to the debate, take it as you will, but regardless it still doesn’t change the fact that there will be no vehicles in SOCOM Confrontation.

Have a great weekend guys,

SealTeam-6 out

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:
Not going to put this on the front page of links, but its worth posting. Weekly update just re-affirms that we definitely won't be seeing any vehicles in Confrontation.

I sincerely doubt they would have the time to balance vehicles with their emphasis on on-foot infantry combat. I just hope to god they get that online feature set right, clans, party system with party lobby when out of game, the ability to go from game to game as a party, and on the graphical front, HDR/self-shadowing/dynamic shadowing, physics, destructible objects to some extent and animations rawr. :3

Madman

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Just hurry the fuck up with the game dammit!!!
No. They don't need to hurry. Rushed games (Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Mass Effect. ect.) tend to suffer from a lack of content, a lack of polish, or both.

The last thing a new Socom needs is either of those problems. All it needs is to be similar to it's old playstyle while having a next gen polish.

VaLiancY

I was an avid SOCOM fan up to the 2nd game, the weapon balancing in the 2nd game and SOCOM's 3 vehicle and some shit called an Xbox turned me off to the third one. How has the weapon balance improved in the latest games? I'm not so worried about maps as long as they're Desert Glory and Chain Reaction quality. D:

I miss S2. :(

Doel

Just posted this on another board and felt it was a pretty good representation as to why SOCOM 1 & 2 were so successful and why I wish Confrontation would have just stuck with 16 players max:

[No online game] has stuck with me like SOCOM 1 & 2 did, and it's not like I'm a lone wolf in this. SOCOM 1 & 2 (we can all agree that SOCOM 3 and CA are crap) has affected a lot of people in this way. Not to say that it's a perfect game, as it definitely has it's flaws (can't count the amount of times I've thrown a controller because of poor hit detection) but the positives vastly outweigh the negatives. It's entire selection of maps are incredible. This isn't one of those games where everyone just plays the 1-3 popular ones and ignore the rest. This is a game where all 22 maps are outstanding in their own regard, with people having all different favourites. You can chose to play as a team but if you go out on your own and are a good player, you can defeat a whole team by yourself. It can be strategic but also fast-paced if you wish. It's just incredibly flexible and it excels because you can approach it how you want to play it, and be successful in any one of those ways.

SOCOM 3 and it's expansion, Combined Assault, ruined the formula in many ways, and even though the gunplay is largely the same, everything else about it is changed. You can't approach it how you like because you won't be successful unless you all play as a team because the chance of 1 person killing 32 in a round is zilch. I can't think of one map from SOCOM 3 or CA that I would rather play on then any map in SOCOM 1/2. It often feels like it's running at 15fps...and I can go on and on.

Ravenn17

Doel said:
Just posted this on another board and felt it was a pretty good representation as to why SOCOM 1 & 2 were so successful and why I wish Confrontation would have just stuck with 16 players max:

Good post, but I have to disagree with your comment on the gun play. Pretty much every gun sprayed in s3 - even if you tapped the R1 button. s1 and s3 gunplay is like night and day. Then Snipers became incredibly easy to use. S1/S2 sniping took a whole lot of skill, and Zipper totally made snipers noob friendly in S3.

One benefit of s3's design was the fact that it made the framerate more stable. I think s2 had a lot of issues with stability due to the smaller maps, and 10+ nades going off in the first 10 seconds of the map.

Arsenic

While theres a ton of reasons why Socom 3 became a disease to the franchise, I think the map designs were the main factors. There was alot of "wasted territory" in most of the maps, empty spaces with no purpose.

Foxhunt, being the largest map in socom 1/2, didn't suffer from this. The only areas of "wasted space" were extraction point, which became extremely useful whening counting down the second for the rescue and hoping no terrorist finds you.

Map designs determine the feel, the pace. Where you can choose to rush, or camp back....or take it slow. Where locations to pick your fights, how to approach. It was almost endless, never the same with socom 1/2. But with 3, it was the same old camping, thoughtless rushing.

Oh, and fuck vehicles.

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:

Now that he mentioned it I happen to LIKE everybody being forced to play as a TEAM.

Ephemeris

Doel said:

Agreed. Good post. Ah... sweet memories of S1 and S2. Never did get into the third one.

Doel

Ravenn17 said:
Good post, but I have to disagree with your comment on the gun play. Pretty much every gun sprayed in s3 - even if you tapped the R1 button. s1 and s3 gunplay is like night and day. Then Snipers became incredibly easy to use. S1/S2 sniping took a whole lot of skill, and Zipper totally made snipers noob friendly in S3.

One benefit of s3's design was the fact that it made the framerate more stable. I think s2 had a lot of issues with stability due to the smaller maps, and 10+ nades going off in the first 10 seconds of the map.
I agree about the gunplay, I guess just in the grand scheme of things it doesn't seem like as big of an issue as the other screw-ups Zipper made.

But I definitely disagree about SOCOM 2's frame rate. SOCOM 2 had hit detection issues but it's frame rate was pretty good for the most part. Some maps had issues, and of course if there 16 people throwing grenades at once, you're going to notice it. But compared to SOCOM 3/CA, it just feels so much better. Maybe the problem in SOCOM 3/CA isn't as much the frame rate as it is the combination of jaggies everywhere and terrible animation. It honesty felt like it was done by a completely different team. Like 989 took over for a couple games.

zedge said:
Are there still many people playing Socom 2?
I was on a few days ago and there was around 1000 people online.

Doel

Kittonwy said:
Now that he mentioned it I happen to LIKE everybody being forced to play as a TEAM.
The thing is, with 32 players, people DON'T. You can force them (by making it the only way to be successful) but in regular play you rarely get that many people to work together as a team, and on top of that it's not everyone's favourite way to play. The great thing about the SOCOM 1/2 community is that you will often be in games where complete strangers are working together, but then again you only need to worry about 2-8 people per team. With SOCOM 3/CA you have to get 2-16 people to work together. A lot less chance of it happening.

That's why I was saying, the great thing about SOCOM 1/2 is that you can play it how you like, and if you were good enough, you can be successful in any which way. Obviously, in clan matches you would play as a team because that is the most successful way to play if you have a good group of people and strategies to work with.

Ravenn17

Doel said:
I agree about the gunplay, I guess just in the grand scheme of things it doesn't seem like as big of an issue as the other screw-ups Zipper made.

But I definitely disagree about SOCOM 2's frame rate. SOCOM 2 had hit detection issues but it's frame rate was pretty good for the most part. Some maps had issues, and of course if there 16 people throwing grenades at once, you're going to notice it. But compared to SOCOM 3/CA, it just feels so much better. Maybe the problem in SOCOM 3/CA isn't as much the frame rate as it is the combination of jaggies everywhere and terrible animation. It honesty felt like it was done by a completely different team. Like 989 took over for a couple games.

I was on a few days ago and there was around 1000 people online.

Yeah, once you get past the initial surge of grenades, it's not bad. It seems like guns were an issue as well. M60s, 9MM subs, M14s, and a few others would make the frame rate drop to it's knees under the right circumstances.

And yes, the s3 animations were horrible. It's sad when a developer takes a step back, rather than progressing that part of the series. Anyway...anybody want to pub?

Top Bottom