• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Linkhero1

Day 16: Highway to Hell (1992)

Highway-to-Hell-9352-181.jpg

This is good B-movie cheese. Charlie (Chad Lowe) and Rachel (Kristy Swanson) play lovers who decide to elope in Las Vegas, but on the way they take an ill advised shortcut...the Highway to Hell, and Charlie falls asleep while driving. Enter the Zombie Cop from Hell, who pulls them over and kidnaps Rachel. Charlie seeks help from an old gas station attendant who gives him a special shotgun and a sweet ride, and from there he goes on his journey further into Hell to find his bride to be.

There's some funny cameos in this one. Gilbert Gottfried is hilarious as Hitler, and Ben Stiller is Attila the Hun. But the best moment in this movie is reserved for the demon slut from Hell.

Here's a clip featuring Hitler and the gang in Hell's bar, but make sure to check out the demon slut around the 11:45 mark. "Come to Mama!"

http://youtu.be/5jRFQq-fzXA

Oh wow. I remember catching this on TV late night in middle school when I had insomnia.

I just really decided to get cable. So does every channel besides premium movie channels (e.g. Showtime, HBO, etc.) show watered down rated-R movies?

I'm curious because given that it is October, tons of channels are playing tons of horror movies. Was wondering if it was worth setting the DVR for any. If they are edited, I'm not interested.

Channels I'm seeing play the most horror movies are Chiller, SyFy, and AMC. I think FX and TMC might also be playing a bunch.

So are they all edited down crap?

Yup. I still watch them though, and the edits are better than they used to be, I think.

SHarris78

HHPZ9d7.jpg

I won't lie, I decided to watch this thinking it had SOMETHING to do with slenderman. I went in knowing nothing at all about the film but assumed it was fantasy horror about some sort of 'creature' that abducts kids, really didn't expect what I got.

For me, the film suffered by not giving you much info as to whats actually going on until the end, leading to one of those 'ahh so THATS whats been happening' moments. Looking back on it it was good for what it was, and better in hindsight than at the time of watching.

A solid 6 chainsaw out of 10.

If anyone can pleeeease recommend something creepy to watch tonight on netflix i'd be very grateful!

The narrator's acting makes the framing device really problematic. And I couldn't tell if the CDC guys were supposed to seem so incompetent. I mean, they're watching years-old local news footage that they found on Google? Really?

yeah that was kind of odd, but it was alright with me since really, the move takes place over less than 24 hours. in other similar films it seems as though the government is too quick with their reaction.

aFIGurANT

# 16 - The Grey
The_Grey_Poster.jpg

The Grey is a nice survival horror movie that adds a bit of moral/philosophical flair where appropriate. I went into this expecting more badass antics and "fighting back" but really this is just a slasher without the human race as perpetrator. I liked it for this and found it comparable to works of fiction (it's based off a book, so that makes sense I guess) like Lord of the Flies and other books about nature and man. There's some shoddy CGI at parts when they try to show the pack leader of the wolves in night scenes, but overall the tension is high thanks to good acting and some really nice directing. Recommended.

#17 - Monsters
images

This one I sought out thanks to this thread...I was not disappointed. Not much really scary going on here beyond the occasional jump-scare and post-apocalyptic crazy which I found actually quite refreshing. The duo that comprises 75% of the screentime did a really nice job - plenty of chemistry and the writing was great. Awesome alien effects also earn this one a star - imagine striders from Half-Life taking over half of Mexico/the U.S. and you have an idea of the stakes. Really pretty cinematography put this one over the top for me. Next up I look for some real scares in The Evil Dead.

600full-ju--on%3A-the-grudge-poster.jpg

16. Ju-on: The Grudge (Netflix Instant)

If I may make a confession, I have never seen Ringu or any of its sequels. I saw The Ring (who am I to doubt Naomi Watts and Gore Verbinski like they're El Dandy), which was my first exposure to modern Japanese horror, albeit filtered through a Western perspective. Since then, I've seen a fair share of modern Japanese horror films (Kairo, Suicide Club, Cure, Audition), but Ringu remains a blind spot, even if it's one of the large pillars holding up modern Japanese horror films.

I bring this up because the Ju-on series of films represented to me the other large pillar, and it was an even greater blind spot than Ringu because I hadn't even seen the American remakes starring Sarah Michelle Gellar and directed by Takashi Shimizu, who directed the original Ju-on: The Curse, Ju-on: The Grudge, and their respective sequels. The thought that a director would direct six different films (and be involved with the production of even more) that play with the same ideas about violence, curses, and haunted houses across two different languages is fascinating. From what I gathered each film remixes the plot, characters, and their motivations slightly, while the critical reception of the films seems to have worsened with each new entry to the series.

By now, some of the tricks that Ju-on: The Grudge uses to terrify the audience have become old hat, but they still affected me as the director and cinematographer intended. Some of them are pretty universal tricks, like briefly showing blurry and dark objects running around a corner or behind characters so that only we, the audience, can see them. Insidious, among other movies, used this trick extensively. Ju-on: The Grudge (and The Grudge, based on what I remember from that movie's trailer) also exploit the vulnerability we feel when we're in the shower for another scare; Psycho made its name on exploiting that feeling. Some of the others are more specific to the film and the culture from which it originates: a large group of black cats appearing might not be frightening to some, nor might a picture where a person's eyes are scratched out. Mostly, Ju-on: The Grudge tries to play off of subtle signs of horror, but it has to make them obvious enough to terrify the audience. Shadows that don't move as you would expect might be enough to unnerve someone on their own, but the film pushes further and actually has shadows swallowing characters.

Ju-on: The Grudge ends on an apocalyptic note that colors other modern Japanese horror films like Suicide Club or Kairo, even if the method of transmission in Ju-on: The Grudge doesn't make as much sense as it did in those films. The lethal memetic vector in those movies and films like The Ring is clear; the transmission in Ju-on: The Grudge feels more chaotic and unpredictable, which makes it even more insidious. You can avoid a haunted house, but once the curse leaves that singular location and spreads throughout, there's no telling where it can go. And that's the most terrifying aspect of the idea behind the Ju-on series: anger borne from violence cannot be contained, and no one is safe.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
15. Poughkeepsie Tapes

the-poughkeepsie-tapes.jpg

Finally after years of hype I get around to watching this movie. When the trailers first came out I thoguht this movie looked terrifying, particularly for the scene I posted above. Then the movie came out, nobody liked it and it disappeared. Years later I find out it's sort of becoming a cult classic, so I figured why not give it a shot. There's a decent amount to like here. Throwing out all the logical flaws of found footage, I actually liked the way it was shot for the most part. The effect they used for the camera was decently believable, and some of the scenes are chilling. The whole documentary feel was pretty cool, but I had some major problems with different segments of it. That being said, it was a decent enough movie. Definitely nothing special, but if you're into serial killers or disturbing movies, I'd say check it out.

6/10

16. Irreversible

irreversible,0.jpg

Holy hell I was not ready for this. I've seen all the "shock" films ffrom audition to martyrs, to inside, and even a serbian film. The way this movie is shot, and the realism at all made it one of the most difficult watches I've ever had to sit through. At one point I reached for the remote to turn it off... the performances are outstanding, and the way it was shot, while chaotic, is great. I can't say I suggest the movie unless you have an iron stomach, because it is devastating.

8/10

1. The Prophecy- 5/10
2. Event Horizon- 6/10
3. The collection- 2.5/10
4. John Dies at the End- 5.5/10
5. Grave Encounters 2- 3/10
6. The Grey- 7/10
7. Pumpkinhead- 2/10
8. Hood of Horror- 1/5/10
9. Black Death- 7/10
10. Apollo 18- 1.5/10
11. Leviathan- 5.5/10
12. The Bay- 5.5/10
13. Attrocious- 2.5/10
14. The Loved Ones.- 7.5/10

16. Irreversible

irreversible,0.jpg

Holy hell I was not ready for this. I've seen all the "shock" films ffrom audition to martyrs, to inside, and even a serbian film. The way this movie is shot, and the realism at all made it one of the most difficult watches I've ever had to sit through. At one point I reached for the remote to turn it off... the performances are outstanding, and the way it was shot, while chaotic, is great. I can't say I suggest the movie unless you have an iron stomach, because it is devastating.

8/10

I saw Irreversible when it opened in NYC. It was a small theater, and it was mostly men. During and right after that scene in the tunnel, at least 10 people walked out of the theater.

strobogo

Banned
Nope, had no idea. Of course I've seen all the old Child's Play movies, but I didn't know who Brad Dourif was until he played Grima Wormtongue. Then I recognized him again as the doctor in Deadwood. It's funny too because my previous film was Halloween 2 (2009) and he was in that as well.

I've always loved horror movies, but I never really cared enough to learn all the directors and actors. Now that I'm a bit older, and partially because of threads like this, I'm kinda discovering for the first time all of these connections I never realized as a kid. It's really quite fun, and makes me think that many prominent horror actors and scream queens are kinda like one big fucked-up family. I even recently learned that I went to elementary school with Danielle Harris, who plays Annie in the Rob Zombie Halloween movies, and Jamie in the old Halloween movies (part 4 and 5). I don't think I ever met her, but we were both going to the same school at the same time.

I think it is kind of weird that you knew who he was by name, but weren't aware of him being Chucky. I could definitely understand if you knew him just as "that guy who is in everything and is fucking weird all the time".

#25 Prom Night 3: The Last Kiss (1990)
PromnightIII.jpg

- Eh why not. Part 2 surprised me with being somewhat half decent film that dropped the idea of being a slasher film, and went for a supernatural tale that felt like it was trying to copy the Nightmare on Elm street series. Well I guess with part 3 they decided to try and copy the comedy aspect that Elm Street turned too. This one is full out comedy almost from the start, the school PA system is constantly putting out silly announcements and the whole tone is very light hearted even when bodies begin dropping. It follows the same background of part 2 with the haunted school by Mary Lou, but it also doesn't really make clear or seem to really follow part 2's story. You got an average Joe who is played very well by the lead actor in this, and hes picked up a new girlfriend. The new girl though is Mary Lou and she turns his world upside down. Was somewhat entertaining and the sillyness kinda kept it watchable.

#26 Night Train to Terror (1985)
9095263029_7009ca3e53.jpg

- Holy crap, wtf did I watch. So yea this is what greets you when you start the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRXvtnfDSto

lol omg, anyways you see alot more of this as the movie goes on. This movie is really an anthology of tales, being told while on a train that God and Satan are aboard for specific reason. Now the tales are pretty bonkers and all over the place, very confusing with insanely bad editing. Now after watching it I had to look this up and wow, didn't know the tales in this movies were spliced up footage from 3 other movies that few people ever saw before either. There is some amusing stuff going on but the editing is so bad with scenes obviously out of order. So much cut out of the original movies that you will be constantly going wtf at the giant leaps in logic. Between each tale we go back to God and Satan arguing over what to do with the souls of those in the tales, and of course, much more of the dance number as shown in the Youtube clip above... and the dancing just gets worse and more music video like all over the train.

aFIGurANT

I saw Irreversible when it opened in NYC. It was a small theater, and it was mostly men. During and right after that scene in the tunnel, at least 10 people walked out of the theater.

The funny thing is there are like three "that scenes" - this was a killer movie though all in all. I kind of want to watch it again if we're including Gasper Noe films in this marathon, but I feel like it's stuck with me well enough to not even want to re-experience some parts (the scene in the gay bar is too much even in memory).

Faust%20poster.jpg

17. Faust (Netflix Instant)

Look how jaunty the font on this poster for a film about a man selling his soul to Satan and ultimately dooming the woman he loves and her family is!

When I was a contrarian high school student, I firmly believed in that Christopher Marlowe was as good a playwright as William Shakespeare. When you're young, you sometimes just don't know any better. But I would point to Marlowe's dramatic adaptation of the German legend of Faust, The Tragical History of the Life and Death of Doctor Faustus, as my main talking point. Look at how daring Marlowe was for adapting this story for the stage. It probably led to Marlowe's arrest for blasphemy and probably his murder! How extreme!

I included Faust, a silent film, in this year's marathon for the same reasons I included 1922's Nosferatu in last year's marathon: it's important to remember the evolution of horror and to see how silent films use tricks to scare its audience differently than talkies.

Frankly, I was unprepared by how spectacular the film looked. The opening sequence where Mephistopheles unleashed war, death, and disease on humanity and the confrontation between Mephistopheles and one of God's angels was incredible; it was later matched by the spectacle of Mephistopheles, as large as a mountain, opening his wings to unleash a plague on Faust's town. Again and again, F.W. Murnau and his team shock the viewer with the scope of their imagination in the scenes that require Mephistopheles to be shown to be larger than life. The film still looks gorgeous when the action returns to Earth and is concerned with the affairs of mortals, but it's those moments where the supernatural powers are in play that will stick with me.

There's one sequence in the middle of the film that felt ponderous and had me reaching for the remote. While Faust is courting Gretchen, the innocent maiden whom Faust dooms, Mephistopheles is busy flirting with Gretchen's aunt. This sequence was frankly a little painful to watch because I knew where the story needed to go. I was rooting for this moment of frivolity to end so we could get to the doom and gloom. The focus on Gretchen and her sorrow in the last parts of the film were also a bit of a surprise; I was aware that she was in Goethe's version of the Faust legend, but my mind was still focused on the Marlowe version which has no version of Gretchen the innocent maiden. That said, the film goes to pretty surprisingly dark places with Gretchen's trials and fate.

It takes the right mindset and environment to watch a silent film; not even a classic like Faust can be recommended without reservations to everyone. But it's a worthy of revisiting, even if only for those aforementioned spectacular moments and Emil Jannings's incredible performance as Mephistopheles.

White Man

Has anyone here seen Ken Russell's Gothic? Ken Russell can be awesome, but since this isn't one of his best known flicks, I'm a little wary of giving it my time.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

This sounds ridiculous, but I felt nauseous, and was filled with rage... It was too real, makes you realize just how sickening the act is, the worst is
the guy who pops around the corner in the background, just turns around and walks away
Gut wrenching stuff.

Okay guys, I got a late start, and no way am I catching up to 31 movies, but I'll post my list. Special thanks to SpecialFly who recommended a few of the movies on my list:

1. Ernest Scared Stupid

Ernest_scared_stupid_poster.jpg

I loved this movie when I was a child. Was my absolute favorite. Have not seen it for years though so decided to give it a watch. It holds up well...kind of. The plot is ridiculous and makes little sense. But the humor is still there and the monster costumes are a treat to see. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a children's horror movie to watch. It's a classic!

Rating: 5/5 stars

2. The Pact

404px-The-pact-poster.jpg

The Pact was really, really good. A modern take on the haunted house genre. It provides a lot of scares, has an extremely creepy atmosphere to it, and will keep you on the edge of your seat. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a newer horror film to watch. I don't really want to say much more about it. You'll just have to watch it.

Rating: 4/5 stars

3. VHS

404px-Vhs-film-poster.jpg

I was recommended the second one, but Netflix did not have it so I watched this one instead. I was actually warned to stay away from the first one. I should have listened. This is the worst piece of shit movie I've ever seen. I'm not even sure what was going on most of the time. I am a sucker for found footage films, but this had the shakiest camera I have ever come across and made this film completely unwatchable. I turned it off halfway through because I was getting a headache. Terrible movie. Do not watch.

Rating: 0/5 stars

4. Maniac

Maniac_%282012_film%29.jpg

I was seeing a lot of praise for this movie so decided to give it a watch. Pretty good, but I don't think it's the classic some are making it out to be. Elijah Wood was very creepy and it is a great modern take on the slasher film. Usually slashers tend to be very campy but there is none of that here. It's a genuinely creepy movie. I also really enjoyed the first person camera and it was surprisingly never tiring. That said I found the plot to be a little sloppy and confusing at some points. I'm not even sure his motivations make sense, but whatever. The movie is what it is and I would definitely recommend it.

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

5. Cabin in the Woods

CitwTeaserSmall.jpg

I was expecting a horror movie when turning this on. Well...it certainly was not that...but I loved it! It's more or a comedy and overall just a big tribute to the horror genre on the whole. The film is extremely meta with its jokes and references. It's about as much fun as any movie I've watched recently. Can't believe it took me so long to see it.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

6. The Girl Next Door (2007)

the-girl-next-door-movie-poster-2007-1020484356.jpg

WHAT THE FUCK

Seriously, what the fuck did I just watch? This is probably the most disturbing film I've ever seen. I had no idea what this film was when putting it on. I watched it because Wikipedia listed under its under recent horror movies and Netflix had it under its horror movie section. Worst part is the true story is every bit disturbing as the real thing. Stephen King describes it as "This is the dark-side-of-the-moon version of Stand By Me." That's one way to put it. I don't even know what to say about a recommendation. I probably would not recommend it since it's very fucked up and hard to watch a lot of the time.

Rating: WTF/5 stars

Next Up...

Escape_From_Tomorrow_poster.jpg

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The Girl Next Door...yea... I saw it and that stepmom is still one of my most hated evil persons in a movie ever...

Maniac remake - The cinematography is amazing throughout. A couple of the angles used felt a little ridiculous, but whatever. The dop was ace. That Enter The Void like shot always looks cool (I'm sure they shot the one particular shot the same way). I think they relied on mirrors a little much, but it didn't detract from the experience.

It takes some wild ass jumps in the third act that damn near broke my suspension of disbelief in half and pissed on it. His motives aren't the clearest either. That said, it's still a good film and holds a strong sense of dread throughout it. I like the camera work more than the story. The one shot with the second girl was gdlk.

Kayo-kun

2AdUxu5.jpg

So I watched The Conjuring together with several friends today after hearing so much positive impressions about it. I have to say that it's one of the best horror movies I've seen in the last year. I loved Insidious when it came out, but this one is even better. I highly recommend it.

GhaleonEB

#17 | The Terror Within | via Netflix streaming

Terror_Within_zpsf16c4949.jpg

Another 80's monster movie, produced by Roger Corman. I enjoyed the premise and setting of this one, both of which showed promise. Set in a post-plague America, over 99% of the world population is wiped out and a small bunker of survivors is slowly exploring the surface some years later. They are looking for human survivors who can live on the surface due to being resistant to the virus. Some of the survivors have mutated into what they call gargoyles - your basic big rubbery monster.

There's a nice bait and switch early on, as they are trying to get into the bunker. The team actually acts intelligently and doesn't do anything foolish, but it's a ruse for the real threat.

Unfortunately it completely unravels once the monster is introduced and it devolves into the single most blatant Alien rip off I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of them! Characters, scenes, styles and more are direct lifts from Alien, a bit from Aliens and a dash of Kyle Reese from The Terminator for good measure.

Amusing catch: the bunker is supposed to be four stories deep, each identical, but they clearly had one built and just swapped signs from scene to scene. A very large part of the movie takes place in the same circular concrete hallway. :lol

One by one I'm discovering that all those movies with cool box art I used to check out as a kid in the video store are actually really crappy. Been a few gems along the way, though.

braves01

Banned
Has anyone here seen Ken Russell's Gothic? Ken Russell can be awesome, but since this isn't one of his best known flicks, I'm a little wary of giving it my time.

I had to watch it for a gothic lit course I took. I don't remember much, but it was interesting especially if you know a little history about the Shelleys.

October 18th

An impromptu little Nazi experiment double bill

Film number 34: Frankenstein’s Army
Tagline: War is hell. This place is worse.

Opening thoughts: I love Frankenstein movies. I love WW2 movies.

SeIhWUJ.png

Closing thoughts. A darkly comic, glorious cacophonous monstrosity. Felt like the best film ever made of a video game. Fall of bioshocking necromorphic nazi zombies at castle wolfenstein or something. Terrible fake accents, fully awesome creature design.

Score: 7.5 out of 10. Peace, love and open brain surgery.

Film number 35: War of the Dead
Tagline: What killed them made them stronger

Opening thoughts: Nazi zombies!

4qSgpsG.png

Closing thoughts: Soviet zombies actually. At least to start with. One random American. Finnish good guys. One young Russian soldier – or maybe he’s German. Some British actors. Think I’ve got those nationalities sorted out. Can’t really sort out the story though, because there isn’t one. Well, not beyond ‘Nazi experiment bunker must die’ anyway. That doesn’t really matter though, because the film is a surprisingly good example of why characters are always more important than plot. Having an actor as good as Samuel Vauramo in a major role is also a help.

Score: 7 out of 10. Death from above 1939.

Watched so far:
October 1 - Wreckage (1/10) Storage (6/10)
October 2 - Absentia (9/10) Uninhabited (3/10)
October 3 - The Fallow Field (7/10)
October 4 - Insidious (6/10) The Devil's Rock (8/10)
October 5 - Seconds Apart (6/10) The Awakening (8/10) When The Lights Went Out (8/10)
October 6 - Lake Mungo (6/10) Cherry Tree Lane (8/10) The Seasoning House (9/10)
October 7 - Bruiser (2/10) Devoured (9.5/10)
October 8 - The Devil's Business (4/10) Session 9 (4/10) Needle (6.5/10)
October 9 - V/H/S (8.5/10)
October 10 - The Lords Of Salem (9.9 out of 10)
October 11 - Below (5/10) Dead Girl (6.5/10)
October 12 – Teeth (8/10) Little Deaths (10/10)
October 13 - Blood Night (5/10) Detention (7/10) American Mary (5/10)
October 14 - Citadel (8.5/10) Sawney: Flesh of Man (7.5/10)
October 15 - The Midnight Meat Train (6.5/10) Static (6/10)
October 16 - The Pact (8.5/10)
October 17 - Rites of Spring (3/10)

#27 The Horror Show (aka. House 3) (1989)
The_Horror_Show_poster.jpg

- Released overseas as House 3, as it featured a supernatural killer and a house, plus it had most of the same development team behind it as the House series. In the US it was just released as the Horror Show. Movie was released same year as another movie with a very similar plot, the campy cult classic Shocker by Wes Craven. That movie came out earlier in the year than this one and for the most part the Horror Show kinda just got forgotten it seems. Starring Lance Hendrickson as a cop who finally brings in a mass serial killer, and after watching him executed, is haunted by the ghost of the killer. Movie has some decent presentation, but it really suffers from having a villain that really is not one bit scary. You see him from the get go played by Brion James, who many will instantly recognize as "that guy" from all kinds of 80's/90's film. Typically plays the douche bug henchmen or cop role in tons of films. He also has a very annoying laugh that I guess they thought might be scary? He just never is threatning which really hurts the film. The film also goes the shitty route at the end, where
everything is back to normal and everyone is ok, including people and pets you thought were dead.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
- Beyond The Black Rainbow
- Cannibal Holocaust
- American Mary
- The Aggression Scale
- Maniac

Cherry Tree Lane -

Geeze. This movie lays on the dread super heavy, right up until the credits. It also does a good job of using your imagination against you. There is no release from the tension. There is none of the supernatural Metal Gear Solid shit going on, that was in The Strangers. It's just a helpless family and the goons right in your face talking to you. If you're expecting a lot of cat and mouse, look elsewhere. This was really good.

I need to watch Funny Games and You're Next whenever it lands on VOD/DVD.

The Conjuring -

Boss ass modern horror movie. The only negative I might have would be directed to the overkill with mom at the end. Even then, I don't mind it. James knows his shit. I'm just mad that the clapping game was ruined in the trailer.

Necrovex

#16 Carrie (Remake)

Now I really want to see the original. My friend lent me his copy, so I might watch it on Sunday. I'll probably do a comparison review of it on Monday.

Chloë is such an amazing actress. I want to rewatch the greatness that is Let Me In.

Score: 3/5

16. Irreversible

irreversible,0.jpg

8/10

I saw that film with two other Gaffers; that was a fun night!

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 18 - Skinwalkers (2006)

Skinwalkers_Aug10.jpg

Skinwalkers (2006) - Another Canadian production about two packs of werewolves - "skinwalkers" of Native American lore - engaged in civil war over the a half-breed boy who is prophesied to be their "cure". Rotten Tomatoes hates it, and this is more a low-budget Underworld than The Wolfman (indeed, Rhona Mitra, one of the chief protagonists, would go on to star as Sonja in Underworld Rise of the Lycans) but the interesting conceits and steady action keep things from bogging down; there's little "horror" to be found here, but I thought it was fun ne'ertheless.

rogueriffers

Neo Member
My first movie was another one from my list of heavy metal horror.

Dreamaniac -- have to admit, this one was kind of a disappointment. Not too memorable either since now I can't remember if it even had any decent music in it. There were some cute girls and a weird party where no one really seemed to be having a good time. It sort of involves summoning a something or other until
the end where we get the cheapest fake out in the history of cinema. It's a double fake-out actually. The girl who was killing everyone was not actually a demon as you're led to believe, just a patient from a mental ward that got away from her handlers. After that, we realize she wasn't even real, because the whole movie was a screenplay the main character was writing. It was mega-lame.
Don't waste your time.

Moving on.

Strange Behaviour -- This was an amazing movie, and had some genuinely creepy moments. It also had some real levity, and one of the most charming party scenes (including a choreographed dance at a party. Eat your heart out, She's All That!) I've seen in a movie in a while. It had a love story, tension, conflict, gore, and all that other movie stuff you forget about because you've been watching heavy metal horror movies for a week straight. Oh and Tangerine Dream's soundtrack works really well almost everywhere. The Birthday Party had a song on the soundtrack, but I don't remember hearing anything that sounded like Nick Cave so it may have been a band with the same name.

Fatal Games -- just a good old fashioned slasher. Highly recommended if you like the genre. Fun movie.

The Boogens -- Wow! Will be the subject of this week's podcast, so look for that in the next couple days. All I can say is, "boogens." Just try and pronounce it correctly. I dare you.

Ridley327

Sorry about the shorter reviews. It's been a mentally taxing week, so I've been trying to cut to the chase, since I'm expecting that I'm going to have an awful lot to talk about next week with the rewatches.

WEEK THREE - SHOCK & AWE
October 18

A very confused film, perhaps almost inevitably so because of the subject matter it tackles, In a Glass Cage feels like it's at war with itself, as it never quite decides to commit to the kind of film it ought to be. On one hand, it sure delivers on the disturbing content, as the depiction of sexual violence against children is pushed as far as tactfully possible and, I'm sure, as legally allowed across the world, as those scenes will be very hard to forget any time soon. But as effective as those scenes are, they're undermined by the film's tendency to sacrifice narrative cohesion for the sake of its visuals, making the film on a whole look like a feature length version of a Russell Mulcahy music video from the 80s. It's a gorgeous film, but very distractingly so, as the film progresses and finds fewer and fewer justifications for the way the set looks, the way the lighting works, and spends far too little time on the characters once they've been established early on, building up to an ending that makes far too little sense to hit home the way the filmmakers thought it would. There's no way that In a Glass Cage wasn't going to be a frustrating film, but I would have preferred it to be that way for different reasons than the ones it has to offer.

This film is basically what would happen if 80s Brian de Palma did 8MM, and it's as awesome as it sounds like.

October 19 preview: We close out the week of controversial films with one subject that hasn't been touched upon until now: heresy! The always wild Ken Russell goes back in time to 17th century France for a little quality time with witchcraft in The Devils. And assuming the weather holds up, there may be a surprise addition to the schedule...

kaiju

Day 17: Equinox (1967)

equinox_poster_01.jpg

I've heard the rumors that this movie may have been inspiration for the Evil Dead series. The only similarity I saw was in the evil book that four teenagers find while searching for a missing scientist. Turns out the book belongs to Asmodeus (king of demons), and he is not too happy about it, so he sends a few monsters out to retrieve it at all costs.

The film kind of dragged on and was boring in parts, with several different shots of the group walking/running around the wilderness. The best parts are all about the monsters, which were pretty neat considering the movie was made for less than $7k.

aFIGurANT

# 18 - The Evil Dead
images

A gory orgy of violence and old-school kick-your-ass evil, this film was definitely a different experience for having watched Cabin in the Woods. I can see where they drew each parallel between the two in making CitW and that sort of bummed out the experience. However don't let this dissuade someone who hasn't seen Evil Dead yet - the visuals are outdated but so stylish that it's hard to hate them. Also as predictable and outlandish as the dialogue gets, you can still count on some cheesy gore or a nice scare to refocus your attention.

I do think that this film hasn't aged entirely well, however. Watching this thing definitely felt like going back to watch Friday the 13th after the several higher-quality versions of Jason we've seen over the years. Something in the fidelity of the video itself takes some getting used to - if you grew up in the 80s you're probably fine but if you expect this to be aesthetically the same as the remake or whatever sort of movie that pumps out high quality CGI, it's not going to make you too happy. I sort of got over it but at the same time some of the makeup and voice acting made me feel like I stepped back a decade to The Exorcist's era.

All in all though this movie was pretty creepy and felt cohesively driven to be a true "horror" film. I can't fault Raimi for going a bit too far in trying to convey the evil that he imagined in creating this cabin horror movie.

matt360

I think it is kind of weird that you knew who he was by name, but weren't aware of him being Chucky. I could definitely understand if you knew him just as "that guy who is in everything and is fucking weird all the time".

It's because I was really into Lord of the Rings. I learned all the actors names but never really bothered to check their work history beyond what I already knew. So to me, Brad Dourif was always first and foremost Grima Wormtongue.

17_AprilFoolsDay_zps9b691447.jpg

17) April Fool's Day (1986) (Oct 18)

So here's yet another of those movies titled after a holiday/event that popped up in the 80s after Halloween. I don't really want to say too much just in case you managed to avoid it for so long like me and haven't had anything spoiled for you yet, but this one actually makes good use of its title.

April Fool's Day is just an all around fun little horror comedy. It's oddly restrained (for lack of a better term) for an 80s flick. There's very little violence/gore and no real nudity. It still has mature dialogue though so it's probably not too safe for the kiddies.

If you need a break from all your Martyrs and Cannibal Holocausts, this is a fun, light film and I'd recommend it.

Final Viewed List:
01) The Birds (1963) (Oct 1)
02) Tombs of the Blind Dead/La noche del terror ciego (1972) (Oct 2)
03) Return of the Evil Dead/El ataque de los muertos sin ojos (1973) (1963) (Oct 3)
04) The Ghost Galleon/El buque maldito (1974) (Oct 4)
05) Night of the Seagulls/La Noche de las gaviotas (1975) (Oct 5)
06) Blood and Black Lace/Sei donne per l'assassino (1964)
07) The Bird with the Crystal Plumage/L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo (1970)
08) A Lizard in a Woman's Skin/Una lucertola con la pelle di donna (1971) (Oct 8)
09) What Have You Done to Solange?/Cosa avete fatto a Solange (1972) (Oct 9)
10) Don't Torture a Duckling/Non si sevizia un paperino (1972) (Oct 10)
11) Watch Me When I Kill/Il gatto dagli occhi di giada (1977) (Oct 11)
12) StageFright: Aquarius/Deliria (1987) (Oct 12)
13) The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) (Oct 13)
14) The Howling (1981) (Oct 15)
15) The Howling II ...Your Sister Is a Werewolf (1983) (Oct 16)
16) Happy Birthday to Me (1981) (Oct 17)
17) April Fool's Day (1986) (Oct 18)

NIGHT-

Watched Troll 1 and Troll 2 last night. Both are so bad that they're funny. Can't really put a review on them, but they have to be experience'

Watched Troll 1 and Troll 2 last night. Both are so bad that they're funny. Can't really put a review on them, but they have to be experience'

If you get a chance, you should check out the documentary on Troll 2 directed by the guy who played the son in the movie.

Best Worst Movie

Troll 2 is only half as bizarre as the people behind the making of it.

mimic-movie-poster-1997-guillermo-del-toro.jpg

18. Mimic (Netflix Instant)

In many ways, Mimic is a forgotten film. Its star, Mira Sorvino, seemed to have disappeared. Wondering "whatever happened to Mira Sorvino" led me to Google her, and of course the second auto-fill Google suggestion is "Mira Sorvino feet." Thanks, Internet. The last major movie that featured Mira Sorvino that I can remember was Antoine Fuqua's The Replacement Killers, Chow Yun-Fat's first Hollywood film. Then, I wondered if Jenna Fischer managed to steal Mira Sorvino's face, body, soul, and career, which would explain Sorvino's disappearance from the limelight.

Mimic also seems like a forgotten film because it's the one filim directed by Guillermo del Toro that no one brings up even though it doesn't have the lowest rating on Rotten Tomatoes (Mimic is at 61%, while Blade II, which is more fondly remembered, is at 59%) or Metacritic (Mimic is at 55, while Blade II is at 52). Maybe no one brings it up because the released version wasn't del Toro's final cut, which had to wait until 2011. Maybe it's forgotten because it was followed by lackluster direct-to-video sequels. However, if that were the case, Tremors and Hellraiser (and, if I can be heretical, even Night of the Living Dead, given what Romero turned out with Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead) would be forgotten too.

Mimic has the hallmarks of a del Toro film: he brought the fascination with bugs, the clockwork machine, and the old man and boy combination from Cronos, the film he made before Mimic; he has the creepy child that he would use in The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth; he has the intricately designed labs from Hellboy and Pacific Rim. It has some of del Toro's trademark visual punch, but it feels scattershot, like del Toro was trying to mimic what Ridley Scott did in Alien rather than making the film his own.

The film does pay off its tension contraptions very nicely. We see the film set up an autistic boy who can imitate the monster's distinctive footsteps with two spoons. We know it's only a matter of time until he's alone and attracts the monster's attention; either one of the adult protagonists will save him, or he'll be another casualty. And the film had already established that it wasn't squeamish about killing children by the time that the boy does get the monster's attention.

The scariest part of the film is actually the prologue, when Sorvino's character is led around a hospital filled with children who are suffering from "Strickler's Disease," which seems like polio that's spread by cockroaches. Roaches vastly outnumber humans in New York City, and del Toro plays with the idea that they're omnipresent disease vectors that disproportionately affect children, the most vulnerable members of the human colony, to set up the stakes. But it's the measure that the CDC takes that's frightening; even if we effectively eradicate cockroaches in New York City, how does that affect the city's ecosystem? Cockroaches feed on decaying organic matter, which frees up the nitrogen to return to the soil. Would anyone be so short-sighted or desperate enough to consider eliminating an essential part of the ecosystem to fight a disease? Who gets to make that choice?

The parts of the film that are meant to frighten are frankly to dark to effectively give the viewer a sense of the horror. It's one thing to obscure the horror and leave it to the viewer's imagination, but it's another to make the film so dark that your imagination has nothing to work with to start filling in the gaps so we can scare ourselves. There are a few jump scares, but if everything is dark, nothing is dark enough to scare. It's too uniformly dark, so it becomes dull instead.

Top Bottom