• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEO Scavenger [$1 Sale! STEAM] Post Apocalyptic Turn Based Survival Sim

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
$1 Sale (Steam redeemable) over here: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
SUbfFcr.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Info Box |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Browser Demo (the full version is downloadable): http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/21
Buy from the devs ($9,99 - $24,99): http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/5
Desura ($9,99): http://www.desura.com/games/neo-scavenger
Steam Early Access ($9,99): http://store.steampowered.com/app/248860/
Platforms: Win/Mac/Linux

Buyers can access the current game version, which is continually updated and the dev posts his comments on his daily progress on his website.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| What is this game? |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Developed by Daniel Fedor, ex-Bioware developer, NEO Scavenger is a turn-based, rogue-like RPG where you must survive in the wasteland long enough to figure out who you are. Each turn you must decide where to go, how to scavenge for supplies, and how to deal with anything and anyone you encounter. And with each passing minute, the pit in your stomach grows, your dehydration worsens, your muscles tire, and your body temperature drops in the cold autumn air. Choose your starting abilities carefully, because they and your wit are the only tools you have in the apocalypse!

It combines features of Fallout, roguelikes and other games, here is a short list:
  • Vast, post apocalyptic setting to explore
  • Exploring a randomly generated map
  • Perma-death
  • Debilitating conditions (hypothermia, fatigue, starvation)
  • Turn-based movement and combat
  • Character advantages/disadvantages
  • Scavenging junk to survive
  • Elements of science fiction and horror
  • Sprite-based, isometric art style
  • A large variety of items
  • Seasonal changes (weather changes with game calendar)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Impressions |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pictures speak more than a thousand words:

Yeah, took me by surprise. Haven't invested too much time in it, but what I've played...pretty awesome concept that seems to deliver on the promise.

I am always a sucker for games with depth, and this one is a tactical survival sim married with some text adventure elements. Glorious. This game is surprisingly engaging and as rewarding as it is punishing. You'll start out with nothing and I was honestly thrilled to find my first shoes and clothing so hypothermia was stopping to drag me down.

NEO Scavenger is still awesome. You really have to take into account everything from the temperature to realistically tending to your wounds to worrying if your campfire will be seen if you decide to rest in an exposed area and hunting deer for food. Of all the games I've played recently, it's one of my favorites. It's regularly updated too and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a challenging deep game

Other websites:
Indie Statik
RockPaperShotgun

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| What the hell is that... battle screen? |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glad you asked, I'll explain the basics. Here is a screenshot to allow for an easier explanation:
nsScreen08.png

The game uses a situational turn and text based battle system. This looks a bit messy, but its actually super smart considering it allows for a highly interesting and deep battle system, while being very, very easy to understand. What this means, is that the game takes several factors into consideration (player position, terrain, day/night, stance, player abilities, items, conditions..) to give the player certain actions he can employ. The icons in the middle of the screen represent the possible actions of the player based on the factors mentioned above. This allows for inexperienced players just going along with the battle flow, or, if the player already dug a bit into the battle system, gives the player the chance to take steps toward certain battle actions that you might not be able to use at the beginning of a battle.
Fair warning: The battles are text based. No flashy attacking graphics, but instead you get texts telling you the outcome of your and the opponents actions. Any effects that are currently active, will be displayed next to the character portraits (stuff like "bleeding, lying, hidden, severe pain, barefoot, coughing blood...) and should also be taken into consideration when deciding between sneaking, attacking or defensive options.
Battles are slow and most early battles will grind the inexperienced played down. They truly feel like a battle to the death and last drop of blood, even if they are slower and more tactical. Its certainly nothing that most players will be used to, but its certainly worth experiencing exactly because its so different.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Features |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Apocalyptic Setting with Elements of Supernatural Horror
NEO Scavenger takes place in a near-future, post apocalyptic Earth, where human warfare and supernatural activity have fragmented mankind into struggling pockets of civilization. Harsh wilderness and blasted ruins cover most of the planet, dotted by fragile settlements that can be extinguished in an instant. A few cities survived the apocalypse, evolving into massive, ultra-urban fortresses. Other areas have become so devastated that even to this day, the only inhabitants are the ghosts of the past.

Strategic, Turn-based Play
The game takes place on a hex grid, with movement and combat taking place in a turn-based fashion. Visibility is limited by obstacles and elevation, as well as day/night. Apart from boundaries and a few landmarks, the map is randomized each game, meaning terrain features and resources move from game-to-game. And the ever-present threat of monsters and bandits lurks around every corner. Choose your battles carefully, use discretion when scavenging a site, and only sleep when you're absolutely safe.

Character Customization
Start each game with strengths and weaknesses you choose. Decide which areas of knowledge you'll have, which abilities, and which skills. Want more than the normal starting amount? Choose a handicap or two to grant some extra space for skills. You choose your play style, be it tough guy, scientist, woodsman, skulker, or something of your own design!

High-quality, Hand-drawn Art

NEO Scavenger is all illustrated by hand, in a style that harkens back to the height of single-player, computer role-playing games. Enjoy a bird's eye view of the game world from an isometric perspective. Individually drawn items change appearance as they are equipped, dropped, or wielded. Enjoy hand-painted vignettes during key encounters and scenes.

Scavenger's Paradise
Your survival in the wastelands of NEO Scavenger depends on knowing where to look for useful items, and knowing what's worth taking versus leaving. Scavenge the ruins of old suburban neighborhoods for old clothes and tools. Use your knowledge of plants to scavenge for food in the forest. A large variety of items awaits the persistent and prepared scavenger, many of which have multiple uses. But beware, many items won't last long in the demanding life of a scavenger. Survivors are always looking for backup items!

Survival Management
Survival in NEO Scavenger requires constant managing of resources. Keep a watchful eye on your hunger and thirst. Is the outside temperature dropping? Do you have enough clothing to keep your core temperature up? When was the last time you slept? Can you go much longer before passing out? Keep all of these in balance, or risk potentially crippling or fatal conditions.

Rigorous Inventory Management
Position and rotate items into your available carrying space to maximize your carrying capacity. Everything has a use, and most items have value. But choose what you carry carefully. Everything also has weight. Overburdening yourself means you'll fatigue faster, and space taken by one item may mean sacrificing another.

Crafting of Items
Use items you've scavenged to make useful tools and prepare food. Not sure if that water is safe to drink? Boil it first. Deep in the woods and need warm clothes? Try skinning some squirrels for their fur. Scavenging is as much about making do with what you have as it is about finding what you need.

Challenging Gameplay
NEO Scavenger is not an easy game. You will not be told what to do, or how to survive. There is no hand-holding, and nobody's got your back. Mistakes quickly turn into death in the apocalypse. And when you die, that's it. Game over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Whats possibly next? |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The dev posts his daily updates on his website:
http://bluebottlegames.com/main/news

These are the things he recently worked on:
03/04/2014 - I continued work on the new faction today, and focused on some of the wearable equipment they have. Similar to DMC guards, it helps to visually distinguish someone based on their clothes, even if it's not 100% reliable. Plus, it means some new toys and customization options for players!
03/11/2011 - New Beta Build - I've just finished uploading new test beta 0.985b, which includes new content, a new faction, and several fixes. I've also promoted the previous 0.984b test build to default build status.
03/19/2014 - Hydration and Water Changes - Work continued today on the UI update, but before I dove into that, I had a few fixes to make. First of all, two separate folks asked me about the way hydration works in NEO Scavenger. Both were pointing out that a bottle of water seemed to do less for hydration than they expected. Since I've heard this a few times in the past, too, I decided to go back and review the numbers.
03/20/2014 - Body Temperature - After some discussion on the forums about body temperature, I decided to make some changes to the way overheating and other temperature changes work. Some really good points and suggestions came from the discussion, and I think they'll help players better understand what's going on in-game. First of all, there is now a new overheating condition called "sweating," which is the first stage of overheating. Instead of jumping straight into "heat exhaustion," the player will see that they have begun sweating.
03/26/2014 - UI Work - I shifted focus to the main menu UI today. As I mentioned yesterday, I'm thinking of setting up an "Options" button on the main menu, and moving all the graphics and audio options onto that page. I think it'll simplify the main screen, and also gives me a chance to put the "Options" button dead-center, in case something happens causing the game to zoom in too much for the screen.
Additionally, a list of some recently integrated bigger updates:
  • Added new major encounter/location in wilderness.
  • Added new faction with wandering creatures.
  • Added new faction equipment.
  • Added new hex art for Allegan, Isotope Mine, Zom Zom's, and Strange Forest.
  • Added encounter illustration by Max Antonov for Haggerty Health Clinic.
  • Added combat ability DMC guards to summon sniper.
  • Added crawl towards and away moves, for when AI is crippled and fallen, and tends to choose passive when it shouldn't.
  • Added code to anger AI if player is ignoring talk and ceasefire offers.
  • Added DMC Guard faction to game. Guards patrol around DMC sprawl, slightly favorable to player, and attack any hostiles and monsters. Carry special equipment.
  • Added armor to the game. New armor items added, and old clothing items now have armor values.
  • Added new clothing types and a firearm to game.
  • Added non-hostile NPCs to game. Some NPCs will ignore player, and even fight against common foes.
  • Added factions and reputations to game. Creatures will remember good and bad experiences with other creatures, and will share this info with any allies they meet.
  • Added ability to talk with wandering NPCs. Each has default greetings, and some have multiple conversations.
  • Added ability to offer ceasefire to enemy at the penalty of one extra move. Can also accept enemy ceasefire.
  • Added ability to right-click a creature in the same hex to re-engage after talks/ceasefire exits battle.
  • Added crippling effects to arms and legs for severe cut damage.
  • Added item damage when wound slots hit.
  • Added Project Zomboid button to title screen.
  • Added ability to ditch vehicle in combat.
  • Changed NPC names to be "Stranger" unless they attack or talk to player.
  • Changed creature names to show "Leader" if that creature is followed by others nearby.
  • Changed creature sprites on map to show what they are wearing and holding.
  • Changed raiders and bandits to Bad Muthas and Blue Frogs gangs, to better match lore.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Getting a serious old-school Fallout vibe. Awesome!

Yup, its definitely very much inspired by the feeling of those games. A Fallout with more complex systems sounds about right to give a general idea of the game.

Toma

I also absolutely love the way the dev is handling the community communication (suggestions you can vote for), regular game updates and daily progress update posts on his website. Really cool if you are interested in following his progress and being part of the community. I'll post new updates from him in this thread whenever I think of them.

I first heard about NEO a few months ago, tried it, didn't like it. Decided to give another chance this week...and well, I love it. The gameplay is a unique blend of hex based travel and text based scenarios and turn-based decisions and combat. The amount of depth and detail is astounding. You have to worry about everything from the temperature (hypothermia is bad) to tending to cuts and wounds (losing blood and unchecked infections are bad) to the terrain you're on (making a campfire on a open field with little cover is bad)

Combat is menu and text based, but it's really well done and you have tons of options. If you get knocked down, you can choose to roll out of the way or pull the enemy down to the ground. You can take cover and hide, surrender, try to force enemies to surrender, etc. Shatter an broken bottle on an enemy's head and you'll be left with a glass shard to defend yourself. Try to make a desperate retreat on rough terrain and you may trip, break a rib, get knocked unconscious.

I was suffering from sever hypothermia and an infection from an untreated cut after diving through a window. I stupidly decided to sleep on an openly visible area without cover, was ambushed by bandits while I slept. Almost made it after one of the bandits tripped. I tried to hide but was discovered. I fought back, took down one enemy, but was killed by severe head trauma. I lasted 7 hours.

So far I've frozen to death while sleeping overnight exposed to the cold rain, died from a blow to the head, and died coughing up blood from a fractured rib and a damaged lung.

You leave tracks that fade away dynamically based on the terrain and weather. Enemies can track you and you can do the same to them. Raiders will follow bandits and wildlife roam the map. The game is extremely dynamic and complex, set across an expansive map.

NEO Scavenger is well worth your time and money, especially if you enjoy turn based roguelikes and gritty realistic survival

And even more areas and locations are coming:
http://www.desura.com/games/neo-scavenger/videos/neo-scavenger-dmc-preview#gallerylist
This video showcases some of the Detroit Mega City map art I've been working on. In NEO Scavenger, Detroit Mega City is one of the major locations players can visit, and offers an oasis of civilization from the post-apocalyptic wilderness of Michigan.

There's still a lot of work yet to be done adding encounters inside the city, but hopefully, resourceful players will soon be able to pass the city's massive gates long enough to get a warm meal and some shut-eye, before heading back out into the wastelands!

- This is after the apocalypse. Current in-game time. This map represents an area of the DMC, one of the only major cities still standing in Michigan. It's possible to reach it in-game right now, but the gates are closed (because no inner-city content is available yet).

- there will be encounters, but it'll feel different than the wastelands/wilderness. Inside the DMC walls, there is a central authority, a policing force, an economy, etc. So it will involve more stable, civilized encounters (buying food, temp lodging, medicine, etc.). There may be some urban predators or risks in the future, but it'll be pretty basic until I can make more content.

- They are city lights, and as APinkPanzer points out, some are vehicles. The stationary lights are from buildings, street lights, signs, shacks, and other infrastructure. The moving lights along grid lines are meant to be ground traffic, while the floating lights are hover traffic.

Toma

I have no clue how that video is showcasing something that is supposed to be in the game. I got the impression that bigger cities are already in the game:
nsScreen12.png

And how do these small dots affect the game in a city? I assume they are NPC movements, but currently NPC movements doesnt matter much other than opponents? This seems more like population movements. Curious what kind of city interactions he is going to add there.

Edit:
Ah, your other comments explain it. The city is currently not accessible. Awesome, so much stuff to look forward to :)

Toma

I'll try to write up and post a playthrough story later, maybe that gets a few more people interested.

Color me interested. This game has a lot of what I would like to see in DayZ. Regardless I'll probably be buying this soon.

I'm a shallow dude, so the aesthetic isn't exactly selling me but all those details sound interesting. Downloaded the demo, so might give it a go to see if playing it does the trick.

I'm a shallow dude, so the aesthetic isn't exactly selling me but all those details sound interesting. Downloaded the demo, so might give it a go to see if playing it does the trick.
I was the same as you. When I first heard about the game, I was all excited and then I saw the aesthetic and style and ignored it. But now that I've devoted attention and time into the the game, I really feel like the mix of hex map/text/menu give the game a unique feel and provide depth and a level of player choice that would impossible in a more detailed game.

It just works and it works really really well

Toma

I see what you mean, but as Badass just said, its a kind of an experience that wouldnt be possible in a more graphically detailed game. Curious what your opinion is going to be after you played the demo since I'd also say it comes together really quite nicely , but you are of course free to disagree with us ;)

Toma

It's always the same regular faces posting in these threads :p

The Fellowship of Good Taste ™

No seriously, all you hundreds of lurkers. Why isnt anyone of you responding here? The game has a demo,so you can check it out and comment. One way or the other.

The Fellowship of Good Taste ™

No seriously, all you hundreds of lurkers. Why isnt anyone of you responding here? The game has a demo,so you can check it out and comment. One way or the other.
Yeah it's pretty sad. At least say "It's not for me" or something like that. Let's foster a discussion. This is a forum, let's talk. What do you like? What don't you like? What would you add or change?

It's gets frustrating being one of the few people trying to support these thread. These are great games worth your time.

Funnily enough I've been pondering a game idea recently [not that I can code but that's not the point :p] similar to this game concept.

Thanks for posting Toma. I've just downloaded the demo and will give it a whirl. After falling head over heals in love with FTL [which you gifted to me you lovely chap! :) ] when I played it recently, the idea of simple graphics and game events told through text rather than AAAA graphics really appeals to me.

Toma

Funnily enough I've been pondering a game idea recently [not that I can code but that's not the point :p] similar to this game concept.

Thanks for posting Toma. I've just downloaded the demo and will give it a whirl. After falling head over heals in love with FTL [which you gifted to me you lovely chap! :) ] when I played it recently, the idea of simple graphics and game events told through text rather than AAAA graphics really appeals to me.

That element is actually rather similar to FTL, now that you mention it. Its a bit less streamlined and has more depth to it and things to consider, mainly due to the limited space of your inventory, but the comparison is not that far off, both have these roguelike elements to them with text based encounters.

That element is actually rather similar to FTL, now that you mention it. Its a bit less streamlined and has more depth to it and things to consider, mainly due to the limited space of your inventory, but the comparison is not that far off, both have these roguelike elements to them with text based encounters.

I think it's that that particularly appeals to me about this game. Hopefully when I play it it still will :). I've never been a graphics tart; as long as the graphics are aesthetically pleasing to me [or at least not displeasing] and they do their job i.e. they fulfil the function intended by the game's design, then I couldn't care less about how technically accomplished they are. I played a AAA game recently that gets much love around these parts with admittedly purdy graphics but was profoundly underwhelmed by the experience. Playing it soon after a long stint of playing FTL which was immeasurably less accomplished from a graphical standpoint, budget, size of team etc only made that contrast all the more stark. I would take one FTL over a million **s. More and more I am starting to wonder if the player's imagination provides the best game visuals. They say that the best pictures are on radio and perhaps they are in games too.

Toma

I think it's that that particularly appeals to me about this game. Hopefully when I play it it still will :). I've never been a graphics tart; as long as the graphics are aesthetically pleasing to me [or at least not displeasing] and they do their job i.e. they fulfil the function intended by the game's design, then I couldn't care less about how technically accomplished they are. I played a AAA game recently that gets much love around these parts with admittedly purdy graphics but was profoundly underwhelmed by the experience. Playing it soon after a long stint of playing FTL which was immeasurably less accomplished from a graphical standpoint, budget, size of team etc only made that contrast all the more stark. I would take one FTL over a million **s. More and more I am starting to wonder if the player's imagination provides the best game visuals. They say that the best pictures are on radio and perhaps they are in games too.

Yeah, I was also very disappointed by Bioshock Infini.. oh wait, you didnt want to mention the name, right? :-x

Toma

Alright, lets see how it goes. Not sure whether I'll do more than one playthrough as I'll probably be spamming the thread without anyone reading them and the beginning is similar each time anyway, but I'll try to make a decently entertaining write up at least for this first walkthrough and see where I'll die!

Part 1: The Awakening

I woke up disoriented over the base of an empty cryosleep pod. I looked around me and saw other similarly looking pods next to mine that carried the number 05. Some of the others still contained people in them. Why can't I... remember the reason I was in there? Everything seems... fuzzy. I faintly remember a feeling of panic and threat, but what on earth happened here? While I was trying to make sense of what happened to me, an unearthly scream erupts from down the hall beyond the doorway.Something is coming. Fast.

My heart is beating faster and my thinking accelerated immensely. I see a half broken window that I could jump through, but considering I have no protective clothing at all jumping through glass shards is an idea I should only pick as last resort. While hastily looking around the room, I noticed a console and faintly remember how to get ... access to computer systems. Yeah, now that I think about it.. I was pretty good with tech stuff, wasnt I? Crowbars, screws and the wirings and mechanical sounds of electronic systems dont seem foreign to me.

I quickly stepped to the console to try a common maintenance override code. No guarantee it will still work, but its my best bet. While entering the code, the pressure of the creature approaching is becoming unbearable and my self-preservation instincts were telling me to hide quickly instead of standing in open sight. I immediately noticed a good place to hide as well, but stuck with the console command. Apparently I have good instincts for hiding as well. I should remember that for later. I hear loud and forceful steps VERY nearby. I literally hear it breathing, my heart keeps pumping even harder. I need to hurry up. Come on. Faster. FASTER. *BEEPBEEPBEEP* The door closes. Thank god, just in time. The creature is standing just on the other side of this hopefully sturdy metal door and howls madly. It slams and rams multiple times into the door until it finally stepped away from the door again and its muffled sounds recede again. I slowly began to breathe again while my whole body was still trembling with fear and grabbing onto the console below me.

After I regained control over my body again, I searched through the records on the console in front of me. It still seemed to be in a good shape and something like a control command for the whole area. I looked through the files and noticed some folders with patient info. Patients? Was I a patient here? That would at least suggest I wasnt unwillingly imprisoned here.. or would it? No time to think about that now. I found several entries numbered 1 to 6. What was my number again? I turned around to check the cryosleep pods and noticed that my pod didnt break, it simply opened as if someone planned for me to wake up at this point in time. Why did I wake up and the others didnt? Looking around the room, I noticed that I will probably not get an answer to that and opened the console entry with my patient info. "Phillip Kindred", I read out aloud. surprised at how my voice sounded, especially how loud, I stopped moving and breathing to hear whether that creature from earlier heard me. After waiting a while, I still couldnt hear anything from the other side the door, so I continued focussing on the patient records again.

5dIul8C.jpg

So my name is Philip Kindred, but why are the fields for additional data empty? Is it the same for the other patients? I quickly searched through patient 1 and 6 and both contained contact addresses and the date of the start of their cryosleep. Why is that missing for my record?

I sat down on the floor to reflect on my current situation and think about my options.

Ok I bought the game, seems right up my ally and if I can tolerate muds, and dwarf fortress (with an absolute love of fallout and sand boxy open worlds) I think I will get some fun out of this.

My first char I went eagle eye, ranged, and got destroyed. But I must say I loved the flavor text, and the grapples with the raider I was fighting, even if I choked to death on blood in my lungs. 2nd character I made a total meat head, and killed the creature in the cryo facility. But I couldn't find good clothing like my first character, I ended up stumbling into Zom Zoms, and beat a robot using my athletic skills.

The UI is a bit...obtuse, but I can see where it allows for a lot of interactions.

I definitely need to read up more on how to play though.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
I just started playing Stalker SoC with ZRP this morning, and I come across this thread to see Stalker in hex form. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Toma!

I spent some time playing with it, trying different character builds, and only survived about 1 day and 7 hours on my furthest run. Even in demo form, the game has so much depth, and the only thing holding it back is the UI that you have to acclimatise yourself to. I was bitching to a friend about not being able to push along one of the many shopping carts I was finding, and then on my next life, I figured out it counted as a vehicle. And don't ask me how long it took me to figure out the simple act of refilling empty bottles...

So I was running around dressed as a hobo Stalker, pushing my cart filled with spare shoes and tarps when a bandit tried to steal my cart. I made him bleed, and chased him around the map for 4 hexes before I gave up on catching him because of my damn shopping cart; absolutely hilarious.

Definitely going to support this guy, just need to decide if I should go for the $25 tier. Probably will once I trade in some vodka.

Kinda spoilery [and a bit obvious] help for people if they're having difficulty finding a good camp spot, don't look if you really want to enjoy the experience of figuring it out yourself:
The cryo lab you start out in is perfect for resting and healing, and if you can bring back a sleeping bag, it's probably the ultimate rest location in the demo. Just be careful about your tracks leading back to it! Also, certain skills can help you patch the place up, but I haven't yet figured out if that is implemented in the demo; anyone actually accomplish that stuff?

Toma

Previously:

Part 2: The Beginning

Apparently, the cryosleep chamber did a pretty good job of keeping me alive. I am neither hungry nor thirsty and dont seem to be sleepy, although I am not 100% sure that this is not just a side effect from the adrenalin rush just a few minutes ago. However, I am freezing. I am actually very, very cold and I cant remember when I stopped trembling out of fear and started shaking because it is so fucking cold in here. My fault for not arranging a welcome committee upon my release from the cryosleep pod, sort of expecting for someone to listen in to my thoughts and clap ironically. Not good at jokes, I noted down on my list of skills I seem to (not) possess.

I looked through the room for something that would help me fighting this damn cold, when a small and metallic tool caught my attention behind tank #2. Upon closer inspection, it appears to be a multitool pocket knife. Probably left behind by maintenance personnel ages ago, and nobody saw it since. Since no one else seems to be around, I dont think anyone else minds me taking it. While passing by pod #2 again, I briefly considered waking the other people in the cryosleep pods, but decided against it. I have enough on my hands to take care of myself. Feeling slightly more empowered, at least as empowered as you could possibly feel while being naked, I decided to climb carefully through the broken window and see whether I can find anything in the surroundings that could be of use to me or whether I can find out where exactly I seem to be.

Avoiding the broken glass, I step outside, rustling some plants that have grown wild in the area. The wind makes sure I am not forgetting about the freezing cold, but its nice not to have metal under my bare feet any more. I look around and notice that I seem to be in the parking lot of a cryo facility. Everything seems to be run down and overgrown by plants. Looking at it now, it makes me wonder how the cryopods kept working until now. Unfortunately, nothing surrounding me seems familiar to me. Slightly frustrated, and still cold, I take a look around.

I carefully explore the area around the lab, and gathered some berries that will probably come in handy once I inevitably need something to eat. Unfortunately, I dont really... have anything to store them in, so one of my hands is carrying the pocket knife, and the other one is carrying the barries, hoping I will find a bag soon. Realizing that there isn't much left worth exploring, I moved further and further away from the cryosleep lab, which now seems like a safe haven compared to this seemingly endless seeming open field. Behind a hill, I eventually discovered a city in walking distance and steadily moved towards it to see whether I can find any help there.

Toma

Ok I bought the game, seems right up my ally and if I can tolerate muds, and dwarf fortress (with an absolute love of fallout and sand boxy open worlds) I think I will get some fun out of this.

My first char I went eagle eye, ranged, and got destroyed. But I must say I loved the flavor text, and the grapples with the raider I was fighting, even if I choked to death on blood in my lungs. 2nd character I made a total meat head, and killed the creature in the cryo facility. But I couldn't find good clothing like my first character, I ended up stumbling into Zom Zoms, and beat a robot using my athletic skills.

The UI is a bit...obtuse, but I can see where it allows for a lot of interactions.

I definitely need to read up more on how to play though.

I just started playing Stalker SoC with ZRP this morning, and I come across this thread to see Stalker in hex form. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Toma!

I spent some time playing with it, trying different character builds, and only survived about 1 day and 7 hours on my furthest run. Even in demo form, the game has so much depth, and the only thing holding it back is the UI that you have to acclimatise yourself to. I was bitching to a friend about not being able to push along one of the many shopping carts I was finding, and then on my next life, I figured out it counted as a vehicle. And don't ask me how long it took me to figure out the simple act of refilling empty bottles...

So I was running around dressed as a hobo Stalker, pushing my cart filled with spare shoes and tarps when a bandit tried to steal my cart. I made him bleed, and chased him around the map for 4 hexes before I gave up on catching him because of my damn shopping cart; absolutely hilarious.

Definitely going to support this guy, just need to decide if I should go for the $25 tier. Probably will once I trade in some vodka.

Kinda spoilery [and a bit obvious] help for people if they're having difficulty finding a good camp spot, don't look if you really want to enjoy the experience of figuring it out yourself:
The cryo lab you start out in is perfect for resting and healing, and if you can bring back a sleeping bag, it's probably the ultimate rest location in the demo. Just be careful about your tracks leading back to it! Also, certain skills can help you patch the place up, but I haven't yet figured out if that is implemented in the demo; anyone actually accomplish that stuff?

Nice to see some people jumping in. I will try some more weird stuff as well, once I finished my write up playthrough.

Toma

Previously:

Part 3: The Realization

W8l0kvF.jpg

Approaching the city, I notice that I... cant seem to notice much at all. No movement, no noises, no signs of activity. Vehicles are overturned and blackened with fire, explosion marks radiate outward from the walls and pavement. Getting closer, I see some monstrous looking creatures circling the sky in the distance and make a mental note not to move in that direction once I decide to leave this place. Quite apparently I am not the only person with problems. Or maybe I am actually, cant decide which would be worse. Looking around me, I cant see many promising spots which could warrant a search. Then I noticed an abandoned apartment building which seemed to be in decent shape. I made my way towards it, hoping that the owners didnt take everything with them when they left it.

Approaching the apartment building, I confirm my initial impression. It definitely is in better shape than most other buildings in the area. Sure, the windows are all but gone, not to mention the giant fissure along the wall, but it looks as if it could still be a decent place to provide some shelter for someone. And now that I think about it, that is perhaps the number one reason to be extra cautious while searching through it.

I scavenged the building, but luckily enough it didnt seem to have any residents. I collected all the useful things in what seems to have been the kitchen and went over their usefulness to decide which I should take with me. Thankfully, I also found a cardboard box and a plastic bag, otherwise I would have need to leave more stuff here than I would have liked. I made a mental note of the things I found, aside from some seemingly useless junk like pebbles, stones and broken glass:

• Disposable plastic shopping bag
  • Cardboard Box
  • Monkey Wrench
  • Empty Bottle
  • Flashlight
  • Bow with strap
  • 2 handful of strings, twine, floss etc
  • A bottle of Hydrocodone
  • A bottle of Amoxicilline
I have no clue what these pills are, but I decided on hoping someone would keep them as pain killers of some sort and decided to use them that way if in need. I managed to cram everything useful into the box and the plastic bag, except the bow. I was about to leave it there, since I dont quite know how to use one anyway, when I noticed that I could just put it around my body on my back, using the strap to attach it. Figured it doesnt hurt to carry it then in case I find some arrows to train. I also threw some pebbles and stones into the bag, just in case that... well, just in case. Right before leaving, I also notice an old newspaper behind the door. It reads:

VZIpZMg.jpg

Nothing's more terrifying for an early player than to end a turn...only for a dogman to enter your hex. Especially when you just barely escaped from bandits, you're bleeding and wounded, and you're down to a glass shard and fists. The dogman as still a distance away but it was day and there was little cover. I tried to retreat stealthily but the beast noticed me and charged. My stealthy retreat turned into a desperate sprint but I was tired and the terrain was treacherous.

Precious moments were wasted when I tripped in the undergrowth and before I knew it, the dogman was on me. I tried to roll out of the way of its savage attacks but its claws still tore at my flesh. Bleeding and coughing blood, I stood and drew my glass shard. We charged at each other.

I ducked beneath the dogman's attack and lunged for a killing blow as it staggered.

The glass shard shattered in my hand

I survived for a day and 3 hours

Was scavenging, found a crowbar. Yay!
Ran into bandits, crowbar broke into pieces. What?

---
Do the night vision goggles have any effects? I didn't notice any changes or stat boosts

Yeah, I was also very disappointed by Bioshock Infini.. oh wait, you didnt want to mention the name, right? :-x

Ha! Not guilty but a good guess I suspect [I am going to start with SS2 and then play the Bioshocks in order, so it will be some time before I agree with you, or not] :).

I've moaned about the game in SteamGAF if you're really curious but decided not to name it in here as it's OT.

Ha! Not guilty but a good guess I suspect [I am going to start with SS2 and then play the Bioshocks in order, so it will be some time before I agree with you, or not] :).

I've moaned about the game in SteamGAF if you're really curious but decided not to name it in here as it's OT.
Sup, woo. Haven't seen you in a while :) Yeah NEO is awesome. Hope it gets the attention it deserves here on GAF...but it's an indie and unfortunately we know how those are received by the majority of NeoGAF

MoonGred

Toma you've cost me a fair bit of money so far with your recommendations. Can't wait to try this out, I've been having a massive craving for something like this for a while now.

Toma

Toma you've cost me a fair bit of money so far with your recommendations. Can't wait to try this out, I've been having a massive craving for something like this for a while now.
Well, there is a demo to try, which already is good enough to experience your first few deaths ;p

Burger

Seems like fun, but I can't get behind a game that features such simple graphics & makes my 2.4ghz i5 MBP fans scream. All because it uses Flash Player.

Crazy.

Sup, woo. Haven't seen you in a while :) Yeah NEO is awesome. Hope it gets the attention it deserves here on GAF...but it's an indie and unfortunately we know how those are received by the majority of NeoGAF

Hey! :)

I just fired the demo up and loved one of the options to save myself from the
manwolf
. I never did like reality tv anyway.

I can't get on with the UI though :/. It's not intuitive at all for me. I love the idea of this game but the execution is severely lacking so far from my point of view. The graphics are fine, I don't have a problem with those so if the UI is cleaned up so it's transparent and easy to use I could see myself losing a lot of time to this. Will keep an eye on this with fingers crossed it meets its potential. I'm glad it's been Greenlit.

Toma

Seems like fun, but I can't get behind a game that features such simple graphics & makes my 2.4ghz i5 MBP fans scream. All because it uses Flash Player.

Crazy.
That is unnecessarily annoying, but if I have more fun playing this game than Bioshock Infinite, then I prefer my fans scream because of a game I actually enjoy.

manwolf

I can't get on with the UI though :/. It's not intuitive at all for me. I love the idea of this game but the execution is severely lacking so far from my point of view. The graphics are fine, I don't have a problem with those so if the UI is cleaned up so it's transparent and easy to use I could see myself losing a lot of time to this. Will keep an eye on this with fingers crossed it meets its potential. I'm glad it's been Greenlit.
what's your issue with the UI? I had some minor issues too at first, but once I got behind the way the UI works, it's actually working pretty well. Anything specific you have issues with? Maybe we can explain it?

It probably didn't have any batteries. I found a pair of NVG as well, but it had no batteries to operate with.
And yet another little detail I never considered.

Crazy.
You can also download the game or demo. You don't have to play in a browser. If you're on Desura, you can also download the demo there

Toma

And yet another little detail I never considered.

You can also download the game or demo. You don't have to play in a browser. If you're on Desura, you can also download the demo there
That's what he is talking about. The download version is still a flash game, and therefore unnecessarily taxing for PC, considering the graphics.

Toma

manwolf

Just to ramble a bit about why I think the UI certainly seems messy, but isnt actually all that hard to use for the basic game functions, especially just to start out and to allow for gradual learning of the game mechanics. The game has basically 3 different kind of screens you could face:

1. World screen
2. Battle & Decisions Screen
3. Inventory/Crafting/Camping screens

1. The World Screen

This screen is actually mostly informative, and really easy to handle.

#1 shows you your current stats. Meaning hunger, sleep deprivation etc and your moves that are left for this turn, which gives an easy indication which things you should take care of soon (in this case getting clothing because its fucking cold).

#2 is the one of two proper action element in this screen, in which you decide in which direction you will go. Considering you just click on an adjacent tile and every information you need to know is openly presented on the map (city , plans forest with items or scavenge option), it is very easy to understand while traversing and plan out your route.

#3 is the second action element, which allows for additional options to traverse the terrain, but if you just start out the game, you likely wont use them, which is fine. You'll die more often but if its too confusing, no need to try these on your first go. Once you understand they are basically different traversing modes, this should be easily understand as well, even though the correct application might be a bit tricky still.

#4 is just the textbox of things that happened around you.

#5 allows for weapon changing

#6 allows to switch between the different modes. The top two are just map modes and dont need any further explanations.

2. The Battle Screen

This is another one reason why I said that you can play this game even if you dont fully understand it and then dig deeper into it after you died a few times. The actions menu (#4) allows you to take actions in a battle, and even if they arent the most well informed decisions, might still lead to a decent outcome. The other parts arent that hard to understand either though:

#1 shows the distance between you and the enemies, which allows for different moves and gives you a rough indication of how useful something like "hiding" or "running away" could be. You are standing 3 steps away from the opponent? Well... you can try hiding but... yeah.

#2 A quick glance allows you to judge with how many opponents you might need to fight, offering insight on your early battle tactics.

#3 Fight conditions, most interesting for me here so far is the enemy weapon.

#4 Easy to understand battle options with explanations on each.

#5 Textbox for the battle actions

#6 Weapon switching

3. The Inventory/Crafting/Camping screens

Now these are a bit confusing, I agree. Not because of what they are for, but how to properly use them and what to use items for. I had a sleeping bag in my inventory, but no clue how to use it, same with the shopping cart someone else mentioned. Even so, the basic functionality is rather understandable since you always have an current available items box and and action box.

#1 Current available items, these are the items that are currentl in your inventory and on the hex you are standing on, which means even if you dont carry something with you, you can use it as long as its on the same hex.

#2 Action boxes, these can be for combining items, equipping or camping and usually involve dragging things over. It might confuse people at first that they cant carry anything other than something in their two hands, but once you think about how you probably need a bag or backpack to carry more stuff than just what fits in your hands, it actually makes sense.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, I wouldnt necessarily say that the UI is complicated, especially considering how deep the game is and yet still allows you to just.. figure things out while playing instead of needing to rely on a huge guidebook or tutorial. I think the most prominent issues arent actually UI issues (although it looks a bit messy), but item issues that you dont know how to use. But as I said, I really hope you become used to it eventually as its a lovely game.

Which "version" should I buy to ensure a Steam key? The Desura one, or direct from the developer?

This looks like a dream game for me, so there is no way i'm not supporting it... I just want to make sure I get the right one.

Toma

Which "version" should I buy to ensure a Steam key? The Desura one, or direct from the developer?

This looks like a dream game for me, so there is no way i'm not supporting it... I just want to make sure I get the right one.

Dev wants to give steam keys to both upon steam release, just pick the dev one for the extra stuff if you want that, or the desura one to have it in one client until the steam one rolls around.

Well, I started playing a bit of this tonight, after a chat and a bit of prompting from a certain member of this forum...

It's been pretty enjoyable so far (if you can call being stalked by unspeakable monstrosities or having your head caved in by bandits "enjoyable"), so I thought I'd share one of the less depressing encounters from my game.

I'd just successfully evaded yet another looter - who, to be fair, was probably almost as scared of me as I was of him - when I came across something unexpected...

lBJjYUd.png

Uh oh. I don't recall picking Field Obstetrics as one of my skills. This is not going to go well. However, I roll up my sleeves and uh... dive in.

H3GclmU.png

And now I have to choose. Am I a complete bastard, fit to live in a ruined world like this...

NVIrrl4.png

...or do I take a step towards creating something better?

QoZuKVt.png

I'll never know what might have happened if I'd acted differently, but my choice led to a momentary ray of sunlight in this desolate landscape.

iU30sVR.png

I wonder if they'll name the kid after me ;)

EDIT: For some reason I can't help but hear all that flavour text in the voice of the Narrator from Bastion.

Gazoinks

This game is really cool. I'm a big fan of survival games, roguelikes, and text adventures, so it's definitely right up my alley. I'll probably follow development for a while and buy it a bit later.

I'm a big fan of games that do this sort of "text event" thing, like Darklands and King of Dragon Pass. Wish more games did it.

Kuntz

Tried the demo, fell in love.
Didn't quite catch the "4/5 actions make a full turn" before it was too late, killed a werewolf but got gunned to death by those roswell things...
Haven't got the chance to sleep either. Survived 3,4 hours.

I have to sleep, no time to play this week but hey.

BOUGHT

Toma

This game is really cool. I'm a big fan of survival games, roguelikes, and text adventures, so it's definitely right up my alley. I'll probably follow development for a while and buy it a bit later.

I'm a big fan of games that do this sort of "text event" thing, like Darklands and King of Dragon Pass. Wish more games did it.

Yeah, I think the mix of text events + proper map and the interesting battle system did it for me.

Toma

Previously:

Part 3: The Realization

Part 4: The Meeting

What the hell is going on here? Mass extinction events all over the world? I guess I was too busy thinking about MY situation and maybe thought it happened because.. no, if I am honest I wasn't thinking at all. With this new discovery and sensation of fear in my cardboard box, I went carefully over my items again to see whether there is anything to improve my situation. I took the pebbles and stones and thought of making some sort of sling maybe, but noticed I dont have anything that could make for a good sling. How about the glass shards? Obviously cant use them this way.. but what if I wrap the news paper around it... Yep! Worked. I can now grab the shards and use them without hurting myself. Backup weapons in case the knife I found earlier breaks apart. After feeling a bit proud about my first makeshift weapon, I leave the apartment building to find another area which hopefully finally has some clothes for me.

I stepped outside and a cold breeze was hitting my skin. Realizing I wouldnt be able to stay outside for a long time, I walked along the road until I found another building that could provide some shelter. I wasnt expecting to find anything in this office building, but at least I wont freeze my ass off searching for some supplies. As expected, I didnt find anything worthwhile and moved on after I felt somewhat comfortable stepping out again.

After walking for another mile or so, I finally reached a bigger settlement that seems to have some promising buildings. This also means I need to be extra careful, so I erased my tracks and stopped in an alleyway to consider my options. I looked around me and saw a particularly interesting building that I plan on checking out. I checked whether I was hungry enough to make a break, but quickly decided against it and moved into the direction of that building. Letting my guard down for a mere minute upon the thrill of possibly finally finding clothing, I didnt notice the Bandit that was approaching me from the main street. He didnt see me initially, but after moving out of that alleyway, I was in open sight and we stood there just mere 7 steps away from each other.

I evaluated my options. Running away seemed like a bad idea since my box would inevitably slow me down. He looked like a tough guy and was armed with a sturdy looking crowbar, considering my current protective clothing and general situation mere hours after waking up from the cryosleep, fighting didnt seem like the best option either. I decided to offer him my full surrender, hoping he'd let me live and I could just find some new stuff in one of the surrounding buildings.

Then endless fear overcame me and I had my first meeting with Death himself:
qgW9mhF.jpg

Stole a few minutes with the game earlier, and first impression is that it is exactly what I could've wished for. Its a game that has all the pieces in place, and I can tell already it will live or die on VOLUME of content. A good, system-driven game like this needs a lot of "stuff" to plug into those systems. As such, I hope the devs just fill it to the brim with encounters, etc... because the core of what I just experienced felt as amazing.

Top Bottom