• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters Steam patch released for FFI-VI (patch notes + 38% bundle discount)

Go_Ly_Dow

FYI
Ver. 1.1.0 Update Content
Updates have been made to add new features to the game.
■ Major new features
  • Assistance features have been added to the config. menu. These new features open up a wide variety of gameplay possibilities. They offer options such as applying a x0 to x4 modifier to the amount of EXP or gil obtained or turning enemy encounters off.
    > It is now possible to use holding down the right stick or the F3 key as a shortcut command for switching between encounters
  • A “BGM source” option has been added to the config screen. This allows you to select between the special “arrangement” BGM made for this version of the game or the “original” versions in the style of the original game. In addition, both versions of the music can be listened to from the sound player.
  • A “Font type” option has been added to the config screen. This allows you to select between the “modern” font made for this version of the game or the “classic” font in the style of the original game.

■ Additions and alterations to game menus
  • It is now possible to load saved data from the menu screen.
  • It is now possible to open the pause menu while travelling or during battle. You can also return to the title screen or check control settings from the pause menu.
  • An option to switch movement speeds has been added to the config. screen. This allows you to switch the default movement speed from walking to running. Holding down the cancel button while moving will move characters at the other speed not set as the default.
    > It is also possible to switch between movements speeds using the F1 key or holding down the left stick as a short cut.
  • It is now possible to view the monster bestiary from the in-game config menu
  • It is now possible to select to fight against a monster of your choice from the monster bestiary on the title screen. The game progress from the most recent save data will be applied to decide what monsters the player can select. (It is not possible to select to fight monsters from the monster bestiary on the config. screen)
  • A “config.” option has been added to the title menu. Most of the same settings that can be changed in-game can also be changed from here.

■ Other changes and adjustments
  • The “auto” icon is no longer shown on the battle screen as standard.
  • It is now possible to skip scenes during the ending.
  • Some changes and adjustments have been made to game graphics.
  • Some changes and adjustments have been made to sound effects.
  • Several bugs have been fixed.

Bundle on sale

I need to play these at some point.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Did they fix the stuttering? Because none of this other shit matters until that's fixed.
Music Festival No GIF by Cosmic Accents

Go_Ly_Dow

Is it still a better idea to just emulate the originals?
I haven't played them, but at least visually they look well done?

I think one of the biggest complaints is the font, but this patch seems to have addressed that?

Also I believe this Steam patch is to bring it to parity with the console release.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I finished 1 and 2 and I didn't have any issue ? It is on every episodes ?
What stuttering is there? It sounds like it would be unpleasant

The stuttering this game has is indeed present in every entry in the series. It's the result of the character walk speed being 80px/s while the games internal frame rate is 60fps. Running speed is 2x, which makes the problem even worse moving at 160px/s. This means that your character moves out of sequence with the game's frame rate which causes the stuttering. It's a pretty easy fix on PC to just mod the character movement to 60px/s (120px/s for running) which makes things line up pretty nicely. Downside is that you move slightly slower.

Vanilla:
msPTJaZ.gif

Modded PC (60px/s)
N5NODyJ.gif

If you can't tell the difference between these two, then I guess the stuttering won't bother you much.

SenkiDala

I think one of the biggest complaints is the font, but this patch seems to have addressed that?

Also I believe this Steam patch is to bring it to parity with the console release.

Yes the patch addressed that. The font is fixed on the Switch version since day one so I dunno why it took so long to patch it for PC.

To be honest I never understood the complaints about the fonts... They look like... fonts ? I played 1 and 2, 100% walkthroughs with no problem at all...

jshackles

I wonder if this stuttering issue has been addressed here? 🤔
I haven't confirmed for myself, but according to the Steam forums the stuttering issue I mentioned above was NOT addressed in today's update.

It's also broken like this on consoles.

I just wanted it to play exactly the same as the originals but instead it seems they nerfed the difficulty and I don't see anything here that addresses that. I know im not the only one who thought they messed with the balance of difficulty. What is it with devs, noticing this now a lot with Japanese devs, in making their already easy games even EASIER in re-releases/remakes? Mario RPG remake has this issue too.

I hate modern gaming "sensibilities".

Go_Ly_Dow

I haven't confirmed for myself, but according to the Steam forums the stuttering issue I mentioned above was NOT addressed in today's update.

It's also broken like this on consoles.
A shame. Although looking at your gifs I don't think it would bother me. I'd be play it on my TV which is about 2 metres away.

graywolf323

The stuttering this game has is indeed present in every entry in the series. It's the result of the character walk speed being 80px/s while the games internal frame rate is 60fps. Running speed is 2x, which makes the problem even worse moving at 160px/s. This means that your character moves out of sequence with the game's frame rate which causes the stuttering. It's a pretty easy fix on PC to just mod the character movement to 60px/s (120px/s for running) which makes things line up pretty nicely. Downside is that you move slightly slower.

Vanilla:
msPTJaZ.gif

Modded PC (60px/s)
N5NODyJ.gif

If you can't tell the difference between these two, then I guess the stuttering won't bother you much.
is the mod fix using this?

jshackles

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I promised myself the moment that bundle is under 60 euro, I'm all over it. A tenner a game is worth it. I already have most of them on Vita so I won't pay full whack.

Wow, why is the patch so late? A lot of features (is font etc) were present on console mid last year at launch.

I noticed the stuttering in only a couple of the games (played through all six on Switch in order) but it really didn't bother me. Absolutely love having the games on the go if I want with Switch. Some of the changes or lack of difficulty is not great, but they were never all that hard anyway so it is what it is. Solid package.

Vanilla:
msPTJaZ.gif

Modded PC (60px/s)
N5NODyJ.gif

These gifs both look equally bad to me. The PC version doesn’t just let you run the games at your monitor refresh rate? Sucky.

Wait, is the iOS version okay?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Vanilla:
msPTJaZ.gif

Modded PC (60px/s)
N5NODyJ.gif

I remember people complaining about frame pacing in Mario Kart 8 and as much as I tried, I couldn't see it. But this is horrible.

Larxia

Don't know if I'm weird but I think the ps1 version looks a lot better.

Puscifer

I just wanted it to play exactly the same as the originals but instead it seems they nerfed the difficulty and I don't see anything here that addresses that. I know im not the only one who thought they messed with the balance of difficulty. What is it with devs, noticing this now a lot with Japanese devs, in making their already easy games even EASIER in re-releases/remakes? Mario RPG remake has this issue too.

I hate modern gaming "sensibilities".

I was wondering about this or if its because we know how to actually "play" these games now? I finally got around to HD Version of Onimusha and I was shocked how I blasted through it in just a couple hours.

Paltheos

All the major, new features are welcome additions. The default font is almost infamous at this point for how out of place it looks. Multipliers for EXP and A(B)P are also a godsend. The ends of FF5 and 6 are just one, enormous grind that drag on far too long if you're trying to max out everyone. Obviously for 6 you can't do much about Rage grinding or arena RNG, but that cuts down on the worst of it. Being able to switch default movement speed to running is also very nice.

For the OSTs, a 'by song' basis would have been best, but it's nice the option's there at least. I think FF6 is the only game whose remixed soundtrack I really felt mixed about. The rest of the PR OSTs are really good, without exception(?).

Go_Ly_Dow

↘➃ Final Fantasy: £7.59 (-20%)
→➃ Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition: £9.99 (-60%)
↘➃ Final Fantasy II: £7.59 (-20%)
↘➃ Final Fantasy III: £11.99 (-20%)
↘➃ Final Fantasy IV: £11.99 (-20%)
↘➃ Final Fantasy I–VI Bundle: £51.99 (-20%)
→➃ Final Fantasy IX Digital Edition: £6.79 (-60%)
↑➃ Final Fantasy Type-0 HD: £6.39 (-60%)
↘➃ Final Fantasy V: £11.99 (-20%)
↘➃ Final Fantasy VI: £11.99 (-20%)
→➃ Final Fantasy VII: £5.19 (-60%)
→➃ Final Fantasy VII Remake: £14.99 (-50%)
→➃ Final Fantasy VII Remake Digital Deluxe Edition: £22.49 (-50%)
→➎ Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade: £15.19 (-62%)
→➎ Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade Digital Deluxe Edition: £28.04 (-49%)
→➃ Final Fantasy VIII Remastered: £6.39 (-60%)
→➃ Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster: £9.99 (-60%)
→➃ Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age: £15.99 (-60%)

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
To those complaining about stuttering - I played through ff6 and didn’t notice any stuttering so the game seems completely fine to me and I really enjoyed it.

If you played it and the original version side by side then maybe you can notice a slight difference, but I wasn’t bothered at all.

20% off on PSN now, still £51.99 here in the UK which is about $66 dollars. I might bite and add to my ever growing backlog just to have them for nostalgia sake 🫣
Hmm... I would think they would have done more than just 20% off considering it's the first time it's been on sale... and it got released over 9 months ago, and it's a port for the older games. I might just wait until it's around the £40 mark. I still think £52 is far too much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom