• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series doesn't do enough to preserve this legendary series.

Deft Beck

Ever since Atari 50 and the Karateka collection, I feel like Square-Enix hasn't been trying hard enough to properly preserve the history of their older titles.

The FF Pixel Remaster series may present the old games with a "modernized" appearance and mechanical touchups, but I don't really think that's good enough.

I wish Square-Enix would provide the original NES/SNES versions of each game as an option. In addition, they should provide the Wonderswan/GBA/etc. ports when possible. Even throw in the PSP versions! Each version is part of the history of the series; they have aesthetic differences, mechanical differences, and more. They must provide these versions if they want to be comprehensive. If they don't have the source code for any of that, then have more aesthetic options! Let me change the graphics and the soundtrack, at least. If there are licensing issues with the music, sort it out with Uematsu! It shouldn't be this hard.

Go ahead and scan some old ads, include some old commercials, come on! There's so much more they can do. SEGA and Bandai-Namco have done so much better in the past.

And now I'm hearing that mods for the PC version of Pixel Remaster keep breaking with updates. It's clear the fans want these options, why not provide them officially?

I feel like the standard of these collections has dropped over time as the potential audience shrinks. Just having the old games available isn't good enough. They have the opportunity to do so much more, but they don't do enough.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Well, the Steam versions just got updated today to match the console versions allowing you to use the original music among other things.

kunonabi

When characters sing, you actually have vocals and lyrics. That is a big improvement.
Not for us Americans.

I really wanted to like the remasters but the lack of untouched sprites, the stuttering, and the censorship just killed them for me.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Adding that it would be cool if Square Enix did provide all this additional stuff OP listed. My concern would be what the Square Enix tax would be like. Not saying it wouldn't be worth it, but we all know they would charge a premium for it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The biggest crime is that the character movement speed (80px) in-game doesn't sync up with the game's frame rate (60), which is the root cause of all of these games having stuttering while moving your character. Can be fixed with PC mods, but honestly this shouldn't be needed - especially years after release.

Cyberpunkd

Games are not treated like they need preserving because people making them do not feel like preserving them. How many games have been lost because the source code got lost? You see it from the very people creating games - they don’t give a shit.

Krathoon

The biggest crime is that the character movement speed (80px) in-game doesn't sync up with the game's frame rate (60), which is the root cause of all of these games having stuttering while moving your character. Can be fixed with PC mods, but honestly this shouldn't be needed - especially years after release.
Yeah. They just need to fix it. That is kind of the problem. Companies being stubborn.

Killer8

I would say no thank you. I vastly prefer their approach to making a single frankenstein version of each game, which is as close to 'definitive' as you can get, instead of just supplying a collection of roms.

They did a really great job with the Pixel Remaster. Very tasteful sprite work because they got the original artist, Kazuko Shibuya, to re-draw them. Backgrounds look far better than the dated NES version, without going too far into cheap RPG Maker looking territory like the PSP version. Everything is very cohesive:

LordCBH

One of the big things they could do would make a physical release widely available. The PS4 version has like one order run on their shit website, and then nothing. Tired of Square treating these games like shit.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Ever since Atari 50 and the Karateka collection, I feel like Square-Enix hasn't been trying hard enough to properly preserve the history of their older titles.

The FF Pixel Remaster series may present the old games with a "modernized" appearance and mechanical touchups, but I don't really think that's good enough.

I wish Square-Enix would provide the original NES/SNES versions of each game as an option. In addition, they should provide the Wonderswan/GBA/etc. ports when possible. Even throw in the PSP versions! Each version is part of the history of the series; they have aesthetic differences, mechanical differences, and more. They must provide these versions if they want to be comprehensive. If they don't have the source code for any of that, then have more aesthetic options! Let me change the graphics and the soundtrack, at least. If there are licensing issues with the music, sort it out with Uematsu! It shouldn't be this hard.

Go ahead and scan some old ads, include some old commercials, come on! There's so much more they can do. SEGA and Bandai-Namco have done so much better in the past.

And now I'm hearing that mods for the PC version of Pixel Remaster keep breaking with updates. It's clear the fans want these options, why not provide them officially?

I feel like the standard of these collections has dropped over time as the potential audience shrinks. Just having the old games available isn't good enough. They have the opportunity to do so much more, but they don't do enough.
EDIT: haha, busted. I totally didn't see you even mentioned Karateka. That's great.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

they have to remake all pixel era rpgs in the same engine that octopath traveler uses and we are done.

we don't need ffvii remake treatment for every old game.
I think this is all most of us have been begging for. They don't really need to do a full FF7R treatment for the classics (though for 6 I'd welcome it and throw piles of cash at it)

Brock2621

Well, the Steam versions just got updated today to match the console versions allowing you to use the original music among other things.
To boot, there are some INCREDIBLE mods for these games. I dunno if you're aware of the Discord group Moogles & Mods, but the breadth and quality of the mods is staggering. Check them out.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Eh, I disagree OP. I've played both the original version of FF6 and the pixel remaster, and I prefer the pixel remaster.

What I would like to see is Xenogears to get the Star Ocean 2 Remake treatment.

star-ocean-the-second-story-r-gameplay-battle.png

Last edited:

cireza

Never going to play these because of how shit the interface and text is anyway. Ridiculous windows and stretched text, WTF is this shit ?

Pejo

The pixel remasters should have been the definitive version and contained all past versions that they created as well (PSP remakes etc). This is just S-E leaving their slimy little window open to re-sell the same games to us a 25th time. The font changes should be shamed at every opportunity, it's actually offensive to the eyes when looking at it in the games. Makes it seem so fucking cheap.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The font changes should be shamed at every opportunity, it's actually offensive to the eyes when looking at it in the games. Makes it seem so fucking cheap.
To be fair, they did just update the games today on PC. They now have a toggle between the new and original font.

Go_Ly_Dow

Eh, I disagree OP. I've played both the original version of FF6 and the pixel remaster, and I prefer the pixel remaster.

What I would like to see is Xenogears to get the Star Ocean 2 Remake treatment.

star-ocean-the-second-story-r-gameplay-battle.png
I've never played Xenogears as it never released in Europe for some messed up reason. It's also not available digitally. If they remake it with the Star Ocean 2nd Story R treatment I'll be there day 1.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

That's a step in the right direction.

I just noticed that they patched all the Pixel Remasters just now. I will have to look at the patch notes.

Made a thread for the patch notes

Pejo

To be fair, they did just update the games today on PC. They now have a toggle between the new and original font.
I'm actually surprised they bothered. I remember back when I did a playthrough of FFIV there were like 3 pages of mods on Nexus that were basically all just to fix the UI, text, and font issues. If that's all S-E can muster "for the longtime fans" I have no hope for any new games by them.

Did they release the toggle for all platforms? If so, credit where it's due, that's big for console players who can't easily mod the game to fix it.

Krathoon

Still, the classic font is not the original SNES font. The original SNES font is more chunky.

I wonder if the mod still works.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
SO2R was a god tier remake. I don't see them spending that type of time/money/investment on a xenogears remake especially if SO2R didn't set the world on fire in terms of sales. I think I read it did around $500k in sales for the first week on Steam, but I didn't look really hard for data on the other platforms.

Mr Hyde

I played FF6 of the pixel remaster and thought it was really good. It felt close to the original but enhanced with a lot of QoL features. The arranged music of Uematsus fantastic OST was very well done too. I liked this edition. Would love a standalone physical copy.

Scotty W

Gold Member
If they remaster Chrono Trigger, they MUST NOT include the new bonus areas from the DS version. This content is the biggest insult in gaming history.

OuterLimits

SO2R was a god tier remake. I don't see them spending that type of time/money/investment on a xenogears remake especially if SO2R didn't set the world on fire in terms of sales. I think I read it did around $500k in sales for the first week on Steam, but I didn't look really hard for data on the other platforms.

I would love a Xenogears remake but I agree with you that they probably don't view it as a profitable enough venture. A remake would likely require them to add additional content to what was originally Disc 2 on Playstation as well.

Scotty W

Gold Member
What's so bad about it?
It wastes your time. One area in particular, which should take about 20 minutes if properly designed takes around 3 hours, even as you know what are doing, as have to run back and forth through this monster filled area many times to complete a very precise trading sequence which makes very little logical sense.

All the new content is done with reused assets, some of which looks horrible. You remember how lovely the waterfalls in the base game were. One of the reused assets here is a screen filling non-animated waterfall which is astonishingly ugly.

It is some of the worst game design I have ever seen. A complete insult to Chrono Trigger. New Lavos is cheap and stupid, but the ending retrofits a connection to Chrono Cross which is huh?

But it is optional content. The port is great overall.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I haven’t played 1-3 in forever. Do remasters stack up? I’m going to grab 6 on steam tonight but I’m considering the whole bundle. I’d appreciate some feedback thoughts on the earlier games

Top Bottom