• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi-P Thinks “It’s Probably Time” for a New Final Fantasy Tactics

GKc4HgiaQAAK1CC

Source - Noisy Pixel

Final Fantasy XVI producer Naoki Yoshida, DLC director Takeo Kujiraoka, and localization director Michael-Christoper Koji Fox were recently interviewed by the outlet The Gamer regarding the upcoming The Rising Tide DLC.

However, an interesting exchange later in the interview involves Final Fantasy Tactics. The Gamer asked whether Final Fantasy XVI could be used as the base for a new Tactics entry, with the staff replying that the scale of the game may not make it the best choice for such a revival.

This exchange continues with Yoshida acknowledging how much of the staff worked on Tactics and Final Fantasy XII so that DNA is going to be seen and felt. Further, after contemplating how Eikon battles would work in a Tactics format, Yoshida said that “it’s probably about time” they do a new one.

“How would we even do the Eikon versus Eikon battles in that style? If you have the Eikons, how many squares is an Eikon going to be? You have more people out there as well, so what about the wait time in between? … But the series does lend itself well to that kind of storytelling, and we love Tactics as well. It’s probably about time that we do a new one.”

There have been rumors about a potential Final Fantasy Tactics remaster, but Square Enix has not explicitly confirmed this. Recent Square Enix tactical adventures are Triangle Strategy and Tactics Ogre: Reborn.

You can view the full interview by The Gamer for additional questions and responses.

Marty Deeks Facts GIF by ION

Probably the only reason I'd jump back into the FF-verse.

Other than a FFVI remake or a Tactics reboot, I really have no interest in FF as a series.

Neon Xenon

Yes, I would absolutely be down for a new Final Fantasy Tactics.
But...before that, I think it's high time for a functional port of Final Fantasy Tactics (unsure if the original or WotL is preferred by people) to modern platforms. That game deserves it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
After FF7, FF Tactics is my most wanted FF Remaster/Remake.
At the very least they need to put a port on Steam.

images

Hudo

Good. Get Matsuno on board as director and writer. Get Ito out of the closet and use him as battle and systems designer. Yoshi-P can be the producer. Lock away Nomura so he stays the fuck away from that project.

Get Hashimoto as composer.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

After how you handled XVI? Not from you it's not.

This... Square Enix isn't Squaresoft anymore. In fact they haven't been a legendary studio for a looong time. They are way past their time. Money, shit management, focus on pure profit, fear of losing if they don't follow industry trends has killed any serious artistic power they've once had. It was almost inevitable, because that's usually what happens to video game developers when they get too big.

Seriously, it just simply doesn't matter what Square Enix announces. They could announce Chrono Trigger 2, Final Fantasy Tactics 2, Xenogears 2, etc. - it simply doesn't matter, because everyone knows these games are guaranteed to not be able to reach even 50% of the excellence of their predessesors.

"Please be excited" - MY ASS! If you have to beg your audience / fanbase to "be excited" than you're basically done!

Madflavor

It was time 20 years ago. But after the success of the Fire Emblem series and Baldur's Gate 3? Sure it's time. It's time for Square to realize people love these types of games, and to quit fucking around and get us a new FFT game before Matsuno dies.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Good. Get Matsuno on board as director and writer.
I‘ll be frank, Matsuno was given creative freedom to write a scenario for FFXIV via Bozja and associated content. It ended up being incredibly longwinded, tedious, lacked any semblance of charm, had zero compelling characters, etc. It was a squandered opportunity, and even the Japanese players were bored and massively disappointed after being hyped by Matsuno’s return.

It isn’t any wonder that CBU3 abandoned the whole Garlemald plotline and moved on. Honestly, my guess is that Matsuno isn’t driven in the way he was when he had something to prove when he was younger. He isn’t necessarily going to be the savior folks think he is, he can push out stinkers like the rest of us.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
would be fun drama if the game ends up in cheap 3d art.

Last edited:

Kacho

Give me a remaster of the PSX original, a re release of the GBA game and a new game. I don’t ask for much.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Lock away Nomura so he stays the fuck away from that project.
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't know if you watched the interview he did with Uematsu, and Nojima Nomura looks like he just wants to take a vacation. He even says he's "waiting for the marathon of games he's working on to finish". I think he'll quit if they put FFT on his team.

Raven117

Good. Get Matsuno on board as director and writer. Get Ito out of the closet and use him as battle and systems designer. Yoshi-P can be the producer. Lock away Nomura so he stays the fuck away from that project.

Get Hashimoto as composer.
Damn right. Perfect.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
GKc4HgiaQAAK1CC

Source - Noisy Pixel

Final Fantasy XVI producer Naoki Yoshida, DLC director Takeo Kujiraoka, and localization director Michael-Christoper Koji Fox were recently interviewed by the outlet The Gamer regarding the upcoming The Rising Tide DLC.

However, an interesting exchange later in the interview involves Final Fantasy Tactics. The Gamer asked whether Final Fantasy XVI could be used as the base for a new Tactics entry, with the staff replying that the scale of the game may not make it the best choice for such a revival.

This exchange continues with Yoshida acknowledging how much of the staff worked on Tactics and Final Fantasy XII so that DNA is going to be seen and felt. Further, after contemplating how Eikon battles would work in a Tactics format, Yoshida said that “it’s probably about time” they do a new one.

There have been rumors about a potential Final Fantasy Tactics remaster, but Square Enix has not explicitly confirmed this. Recent Square Enix tactical adventures are Triangle Strategy and Tactics Ogre: Reborn.

You can view the full interview by The Gamer for additional questions and responses.
This game is like Vietnam to me.

Do it with a very similar style to the original. Give us particle effects galore, give us some insane summons, chains/combos, revamped battle system with a more constant flow, the original can be sloooooooow. Give us Ray Tracing effects as it would shine in a game like this. Make the story good, possibly a continuation of The Original.

Hudo

I‘ll be frank, Matsuno was given creative freedom to write a scenario for FFXIV via Bozja and associated content. It ended up being incredibly longwinded, tedious, lacked any semblance of charm, had zero compelling characters, etc. It was a squandered opportunity, and even the Japanese players were bored and massively disappointed after being hyped by Matsuno’s return.

It isn’t any wonder that CBU3 abandoned the whole Garlemald plotline and moved on. Honestly, my guess is that Matsuno isn’t driven in the way he was when he had something to prove when he was younger. He isn’t necessarily going to be the savior folks think he is, he can push out stinkers like the rest of us.
To be fair, you can only do so much with FF14. I wouldn't be that passionate to write a fucking scenario for a stupid dungeon in an MMO where it is even questionable if most of the playerbase can even read.

IAmRei

If there is any sequel, i wish it will stay to their root. Be it psx or nintendo style. I prefer psx style, perfectly fine for me

Synless

This... Square Enix isn't Squaresoft anymore. In fact they haven't been a legendary studio for a looong time. They are way past their time. Money, shit management, focus on pure profit, fear of losing if they don't follow industry trends has killed any serious artistic power they've once had. It was almost inevitable, because that's usually what happens to video game developers when they get too big.

Seriously, it just simply doesn't matter what Square Enix announces. They could announce Chrono Trigger 2, Final Fantasy Tactics 2, Xenogears 2, etc. - it simply doesn't matter, because everyone knows these games are guaranteed to not be able to reach even 50% of the excellence of their predessesors.

"Please be excited" - MY ASS! If you have to beg your audience / fanbase to "be excited" than you're basically done!
I couldn’t disagree with you more. Their games have been great for decades. You just need to move along.

Last edited:

Jordoon

A new Final Fantasy Tactics would be amazing. Definitely would prefer that over a remake of the original. We all played it to death already, if you want to play it again just emulate it. Even a remaster or port is pointless. Way too many remakes and remasters these days I'd rather have new games and new stories.

Dynasty8

Unicorn Overlord says hello

Played the demo, thought it was cool, but I keep hearing that the game is also pretty easy. I love the challenge for these type of games (FFT, TO:LUCT and Ogre Battle 64)...but modern games have just become too easy for me unfortunately.

Top Bottom