• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Lots of PS4 game reviews coming in the next two weeks but not Xbone"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypah

arthur-1.png

Not much info there, but 1 is worse than the other and after the cryptic clues from his tweets we will likely see some x1 vs ps4 videos, atleast thats how I read it, but his answers are in reverse

Sounds like "yes, we will see videos" and "no, I can't go into detail right now".

- J - D -

Responses coming fast and heavy, is it alright to point out the limits of forum interaction versus a structured commenting section? Is it alright to like Polygon and GAF? No need to be so defensive, I have an opinion, elaborated on why I prefer structured comments versus forums, and stated my impression that the palpable polygon hate is unnecessary IMO. I also stated that I was not aware Arthur's past activity as a GAF poster when making my original comment.

I think if you'd taken a moment to consider that gaf's dislike of Arthur/Polygon has nothing to do with the efficacy of a commentary or posting system, youd have avoided a caustic situation. You brought it on yourself by including an argument that was neither here nor there or relevent to the topic at hand.

@aegies: @fpsShark one is not good, but understandable. the other just is, and is less understandable.

I don't have any next-gen plans or investment in the warz but what does this mean. it's like a koan.

It's not because of the lack of patch apparently:

Paul ‏@Paul_LFC 4m
@aegies because the 180 patch isn't live yet and it still thinks it's in "Fuck you" mode?

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies 33s
@Paul_LFC no, that doesn't have much if anything to do with it.

It's a launch day embargo.

Always with the riddle-me-ree guessing games.

My fingers are typing and I am on Twitter
My first is in bull but not in shitter

Now guess what I'm thinking.

People here love to crap on Arthur and polygon. Why? You disagree with opinions? I've had a lot of great interactions on that site where drive by's and meme's seem to occur far less than here. In addition, the commenting structure at Vox pretty much dominates this forums ancient tech. Here, when some idiot says something stupid we get 10 people quoting that person in separate posts all calling them idiots. Their, the point only needs to be made once because the reply is embedded. In summary, hating Arthur and Polygon probably says more about you thann them.

Aaaare you Arthur?
Aaaare you Arthur?
AAAAAAArree you Arthur in disguise?

AAAAAArreee you AAArthuuuur in disguise?

Liberty4all

Banned
It's a launch day embargo.

Yeap. Methinks that Microsoft is feeling pressured by the press right now and are worried that if their versions of third party titles get shit on they will lose more console purchases to the PS4.

Still when one console is going "HEY GUYS LOOK AT OUR AMAZING GAMES, AND HERE'S THE VIDEO PROOF" via reviews

and the other console is going "NO COMMENT"

I'm likely going to go with option #1.

I do wonder if this is more 720p versions versus 1080p .... resolution has turned into such a hot button issue, MS may be afraid of the side by side comparisons tearing their versions apart.

Ebomb

Banned
I think if you'd taken a moment to consider that gaf's dislike of Arthur/Polygon has nothing to do with the efficacy of a commentary or posting system, youd have avoided a caustic situation. You brought it on yourself by including an argument that was neither here nor there or relevent to the topic at hand.

Yep, GAF sensitivity to Polygon praise was not a factor at all in this caustic situation, instead, my own hubris is solely to blame. Gotcha. I believe this is my queue to exit this thread. Carry on.

@aegies Have you seen/played the same game on both XB1 and PS4? If so, any major differences?

@S0mewh4tD4m4ged yes, and not major, in my opinion. there were differences though.

I am SHOCKED he would say the differences were not major. As long as it's the XB1 that's inferior, he's gonna say the differences are irrelevant.

I seriously wish I had the patience to listen to it again, but if anyone wants a crash course on Arthur Gies 101, go back and listen to the February 26th episode of the Rebel FM podcast. Dude was on fire with Sony FUD after their announcement. I'll just give you a quick sampling of his statements on that episode.

-we'll see if PS4 actually has GDDR5 in it when it launches. Doesn't believe Sony.

-PS4 might very well have production problems due to using GDDR5, because it's very hard to make.

-PS4 is going to be uber expensive because it uses GDDR5.

-PS4 is going to be very large because of all the heat GDDR5 creates.

That is just a sampling from my memory, but I happen to listen to that episode a few months ago and had some great laughs at just how wrong he was over, and over, and over again.

- J - D -

Yep, GAF sensitivity to Polygon praise was not a factor at all in this caustic situation, instead, my own hubris is solely to blame. Gotcha. I believe this is my queue to exit this thread. Carry on.

Well, it's fine to praise them, and although you most likely come against resistence from a irate contingent of gaffers, I believe that if there was something legitimately good that Polygon did (their commentary system as you said being one of them), praise levied towards them would be echoed.

But this thread isnt really the place for it, especially when it's praise for a technical aspect of Polygon that has little to do with the editorial practices of the site and Gies himself.

Dont leave the thread, man, unless it's to start your own thread, at which point please do.

SHADES

It's Arthur Gies! So the reasons are "platform differences" :p
Gies would never admit it.

That's even if the official company line they've been told is true!

Could be platform issues & MS are saying it's not etc, but after the last few months I'm not inclined to take MS company policy at face value anymore.

Ebomb

Banned
Well, it's fine to praise them, and although you most likely come against resistence from a irate contingent of gaffers, I believe that if there was something legitimately good that Polygon did (their commentary system as you said being one of them), praise levied towards them would be echoed.

But this thread isnt really the place for it, especially when it's praise for a technical aspect of Polygon that has little to do with the editorial practices of the site and Gies himself.

Dont leave the thread, man, unless it's to start your own thread, at which point please do.

That's certainly a fair criticism of my post. And as a Junior since June, my ability to shape discussions is limited as I can only comment on open posts. I certainly didn't search for an existing polygon thread though where my comment may have been more relevant, so that's on me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I say it's a press embargo. At least, I hope it is.

Either that or they didn't receive games.

He seems to have played versions for both machines, so it's not the day one patch issue. But he says they did not receive AC4 or BF4 versions for Xbone and AC4 only for PS4, so who knows if it's actual embargoes or simply not provided copies for review.

Maybe the online service is not up for Xbone? So they can't review that part, hence no review until it comes online? But both BF4 and AC4 have SP parts...

Gestault

if anyone wants a crash course on Arthur Gies 101, go back and listen to the February 26th episode of the Rebel FM podcast. Dude was on fire with Sony FUD after their announcement.

Any chance you have a link? That site is coded like garbage; I can't find a link but I want to listen to this.

jcm

You just have to ask yourself one simple question: Do you want to sit up on the porch with the pup, or do you wanna run in the yard with the big dog?

I am sure there is an embargo on Xbox One reviews, combined with the time it will take to clean up all the secret sauce all over Gies' Polygon office, it will simply take extra time.

Hopefully the embargos dont last until after the Xbox One launches, because people buying both systems would like to know which Multiplat version to buy.

Hopefully the embargos dont last until after the Xbox One launches, because people buying both systems would like to know which Multiplat version to buy.

Unfortunately sites like Digital Foundry are going to take a while to get both versions in their hands, and then do the detailed comparisons. We know damn well we can't trust regular reviews for such information. So for people who want to buy day one, there is gonna be some guess work involved, although I think a pretty clear picture is emerging for how things will turn out.

Maybe MS is preparing the money hats for the reviewers ;P

But honestly WTF is up with these half assed tweets to keep people guessing and riling up
another thread. I believe these guys know what riles up GAF and deliberately do this and of course to get the clicks. Either say the whole thing or just shutup till you can say it.

Unfortunately sites like Digital Foundry are going to take a while to get both versions in their hands, and then do the detailed comparisons. We know damn well we can't trust regular reviews for such information. So for people who want to buy day one, there is gonna be some guess work involved, although I think a pretty clear picture is emerging for how things will turn out.

Well, I am sure the regular gaming sites will just play one version, then copy and paste that review for each version, just like they did with a majority of titles this generation.

Maybe MS is preparing the money hats for the reviewers ;P

But honestly WTF is up with these half assed tweets to keep people guessing and riling up
another thread. I believe these guys know what riles up GAF and deliberately do this and of course to get the clicks. Either say the whole thing or just shutup till you can say it.

Clicks = $

- J - D -

That's certainly a fair criticism of my post. And as a Junior since June, my ability to shape discussions is limited as I can only comment on open posts. I certainly didn't search for an existing polygon thread though where my comment may have been more relevant, so that's on me.

Ah right, I didn't notice that you were a junior. I dont usually look at tags. Well, you'll get a chance soon enough probably. All in due time.

Well, I am sure the regular gaming sites will just play one version, then copy and paste that review for each version, just like they did with a majority of titles this generation.

That will be the way. No doubt about it. It will be tough to find actual comparisons in most places. (Partially due to time constraints I'm sure, but also just because most sites don't/won't care if there is a difference.)

Mononoke

Banned
That will be the way. No doubt about it. It will be tough to find actual comparisons in most places. (Partially due to time constraints I'm sure, but also just because most sites don't/won't care if there is a difference.)

Well, don't we have Digital Foundry for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom