• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Lots of PS4 game reviews coming in the next two weeks but not Xbone"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

I am SHOCKED he would say the differences were not major. As long as it's the XB1 that's inferior, he's gonna say the differences are irrelevant.

I seriously wish I had the patience to listen to it again, but if anyone wants a crash course on Arthur Gies 101, go back and listen to the February 26th episode of the Rebel FM podcast. Dude was on fire with Sony FUD after their announcement. I'll just give you a quick sampling of his statements on that episode.

-we'll see if PS4 actually has GDDR5 in it when it launches. Doesn't believe Sony.

-PS4 might very well have production problems due to using GDDR5, because it's very hard to make.

-PS4 is going to be uber expensive because it uses GDDR5.

-PS4 is going to be very large because of all the heat GDDR5 creates.

That is just a sampling from my memory, but I happen to listen to that episode a few months ago and had some great laughs at just how wrong he was over, and over, and over again.

False, false, false and false. That's an impressive level of dishonesty from someone who gets paid to write about videogames.

People on GAF actually have a higher impression of Gies than they should because so few of us actually listen to the nonsense he spouts on Rebel FM every week. I gave up listening back in 2010.

andycapps

Embargo? Sounds more like a super-injunction.

Also: I can easily decipher CBOATian, but Gies' tweets make no sense at all to me.

I think it's because most of the time he's hinting at stuff broadly enough to where he doesn't want to give up his sources, which also enables him to have a feeling of superiority of having the inside scoop. More importantly, he may have a membership here at GAF, but he hates the site and the average GAF user so I think he puts stuff on Twitter to get GAF's jimmies in a bunch.

GodofWine

I'd say Microsoft doesn't want any reviews up until that Monday after the PS4 launch. They want that full week to excite people with. No point in a good review for anything going live before the PS4 launch and watch it get melted into page 3 of every site.

Its a good theory but I think that week will be full of people talking about ps4, and xbones are sold out anyway (wink wink?) so it wont matter. I think the actual console available to reviewers (retail units) simply dont work yet, Sony's day one patch is making features function, MS's is probably installing the entire OS on day 1. Gonna be a fun launch for both.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Publishers provided the PS4 version as the one to review? Haven't they done that with 360 in the past?

Xbox is embargoed until near launch, so most Multiplatform games will already have been reviewed on PS4 and most places won't re-review on another platform?

MS won't allow reviews of Xbox games that are compared to PS4 games? (Can't see this, as they'd be from 3rd party publishers)

Well, don't we have Digital Foundry for that?

Sure. But I'd prefer they not be the only source for that kind of information. Particularly early in the generation, I would like to see more sites in on it, particularly the ones I spend more time following. (Giant Bomb for example.) I think those differences, or lack thereof as the case may be, will be some of the more interesting stuff over the next 6 months. What's the point of new and competing hardware if you don't get to see a comparison?

I am SHOCKED he would say the differences were not major. As long as it's the XB1 that's inferior, he's gonna say the differences are irrelevant.

I seriously wish I had the patience to listen to it again, but if anyone wants a crash course on Arthur Gies 101, go back and listen to the February 26th episode of the Rebel FM podcast. Dude was on fire with Sony FUD after their announcement. I'll just give you a quick sampling of his statements on that episode.

-we'll see if PS4 actually has GDDR5 in it when it launches. Doesn't believe Sony.

-PS4 might very well have production problems due to using GDDR5, because it's very hard to make.

That is just a sampling from my memory, but I happen to listen to that episode a few months ago and had some great laughs at just how wrong he was over, and over, and over again.

Wow lol. Sounds like he had some wishful thinking. No wonder the guy sounds so salty all the time.

Wow.. just reading that irritates me. I'm not a fan of Gies in the slightest.

Xevious

Banned
A press embargo is pretty telling though, no? Why would they have one, and Sony doesn't.

OF COURSE there's a press embargo. It's not about whether or not there's a press embargo, it's about the reason of said embargo that we're talking about here.

People on GAF actually have a higher impression of Gies than they should because so few of us actually listen to the nonsense he spouts on Rebel FM every week. I gave up listening back in 2010.

I only recently stopped listening to them. There were other people on the podcast I genuinely liked, but listening to him prattle about how wrong everyone else always is, as though he has the corner on truth and rationality, really gets irritating. There's a stunning lack of self awareness, and I couldn't handle it anymore (Not to mention his constant negativity). The constant false attacks on Sony early this year were only part of it; I just find him highly unpleasant in all things he's involved in.

Odrion

Banned
It's weird, Arthur never was this obnoxious. But for the past couple of years he's become unbearable, it's hard to listen to RebelFM without throwing my iPhone out of a window.

Sure. But I'd prefer they not be the only source for that kind of information. Particularly early in the generation, I would like to see more sites in on it, particularly the ones I spend more time following. (Giant Bomb for example.) I think those differences, or lack thereof as the case may be, will be some of the more interesting stuff over the next 6 months. What's the point of new and competing hardware if you don't get to see a comparison?

You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think any sites beyond Digital Foundry are going to do a serious comparison. At best you're going to get occasional comparison comments in a review or on a podcast.

Any chance you have a link? That site is coded like garbage; I can't find a link but I want to listen to this.

Sorry, I only listen to podcasts on my iPhone using the podcast app.

Did he claim it was going to tank or something? Do you have a link?

untitledp6z6f.png

GlamFM

Banned

Yep, this and his never ending sim city fiasco are the reasons I don't visit polygon anymore. I usually don't attack people personally, but this guy is a joke - sorry.

Dali

I think it's because most of the time he's hinting at stuff broadly enough to where he doesn't want to give up his sources, which also enables him to have a feeling of superiority of having the inside scoop. More importantly, he may have a membership here at GAF, but he hates the site and the average GAF user so I think he puts stuff on Twitter to get GAF's jimmies in a bunch.
But he's already tossed his credibility out the window so when he hints at knowing things no one really takes him seriously.

conman

The problem is that no one else is as scientific or technical about those comparisons. Others simply don't have the equipment or know-how. At best, everyone else just ends up spouting off "best guess" scenarios based on sub-par AV equipment and environments, or even worse based on screenshot comparisons. They just stoke the fanboy flames--which would do them no good as a video game publication.

Best to just focus on the game itself and leave the technical stuff to the experts.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's amazing how much of a vice grip these companies have on the balls of journalists. Their entire job is to inform their readers on what would be a good buy, that should have no greater effect than around the dawn of new consoles as they're hefty investments. Seeing all this hush hush talk is aggravating. We will find out how these games are either way.

border

http://www.eat-sleep-game.com/news/2013/02/24/rebel-fm-episode-168-022413/#more-2143

Listening to Arthur Gies chat on that episode now.

"8 gigabytes of DDR5 RAM would be incredible - if it happens!"
"A) It's going to drive up the price B) It's going to cause more heat C) It takes more wattage from the power supply to drive it and D) It's going to be a supply chain problem"
"There's going to be a fucking price war on DDR5 this fall!"
"I don't know that the PS4 will have that much RAM in when it ships."

Tamanon

Banned
It's amazing how much of a vice grip these companies have on the balls of journalists. Their entire job is to inform their readers on what would be a good buy, that should have no greater effect than around the dawn of new consoles as they're hefty investments. Seeing all this hush hush talk is aggravating. We will find out how these games are either way.

Well, it is in exchange for early copies/builds of games. Embargoes are completely understandable in this context.

It's not like they're buying the games themselves after the game launches.

I'll answer that in the Giesian dialect:

Yes and no. Some not so much, but more than the other. Almost. I've already said too much.

Good news. Both version should totally.

Yep, GAF sensitivity to Polygon praise was not a factor at all in this caustic situation, instead, my own hubris is solely to blame. Gotcha. I believe this is my queue to exit this thread. Carry on.

I don't think there's queue to leave the thread, it's just you. Most of us want to stay and post using this sub par, under-performing forum software.

Yea anyone who believes Arthur is a fool.

Nymphae

Banned
http://www.eat-sleep-game.com/news/2013/02/24/rebel-fm-episode-168-022413/#more-2143
"A) It's going to drive up the price B) It's going to cause more heat C) It takes more wattage from the power supply to drive it and D) It's going to be a supply chain problem"

This is why I dislike him. Completely baseless shit right there, what was your source on that stuff Arthur? Shit like that is unacceptable anywhere, but he gets away with it on RebelFM.

sneaky77

It's weird, Arthur never was this obnoxious. But for the past couple of years he's become unbearable, it's hard to listen to RebelFM without throwing my iPhone out of a window.

All the condescending comments in RebelFM is why I stopped listening. It used to be Arthur mostly then somehow it started spreading to the rest of them.

Listening to Arthur Gies chat on that episode now.

Yup, thanks for getting the specifics. ;)

He has some gems like that on a pretty regular basis, but that prticular episode was a goldmine of his bullshit.

Even if the reason was platform differences and he knew, he would die before he broke that kind of news.
lol

You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think any sites beyond Digital Foundry are going to do a serious comparison. At best you're going to get occasional comparison comments in a review or on a podcast.

No, I agree 100%. I was just responding to a comment saying that, "We have Digital Foundry" for comparisons. I'm happy we do have them, but I wish we had more comparisons from other sites as well.

The problem is that no one else is as scientific or technical about those comparisons. Others simply don't have the equipment or know-how. At best, everyone else just ends up spouting off "best guess" scenarios based on sub-par AV equipment and environments, or even worse based on screenshot comparisons. They just stoke the fanboy flames--which would do them no good as a video game publication.

Best to just focus on the game itself and leave the technical stuff to the experts.

You make a good point. Most reviewers aren't equipped to make judgement calls about things like resolution or framerate. (They're just going to regurgitate whatever the game tells them it is running at, or point out if there are clear issues.) Half-understood, half-representative comparisons wouldn't be better than none at all, as they would probably just lead to misinformation.

Maybe I just wish the games press would be than it is better. It is hard enough to find decent reviews, period, much less reviews that do an adequate job in the technical department. Just wishful thinking on my part.

OF COURSE there's a press embargo. It's not about whether or not there's a press embargo, it's about the reason of said embargo that we're talking about here.

If, as I suspect, the embargo expires on 12.00am 11/22/13 then it would be quite telling. I think we'll get a few exclusive reviews, especially for Forza 5 and other exclusives, but I think all multiplatform releases will be embargoed until release day.

Didn't Uncharted 3 sell 4-5m? Not being funny but this guy being in a job like that is a blatant piss take. We all have our preferences but in a position he has you would at the very least expect some sort of professionalism. There is fuck all apart from the impression of a obnoxious know it all type with the cheek to cry foul when people pull him up on his antics you would expect from a kid.

As I said earlier, $499 is a lot of money for a lot gamers and all this "I know negative stuff but I'm not saying" is not on at all. Either shut up or fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom