• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Microsoft has hired Jonathan Ross to work on Xbox

A quote from my dev source last night that I didn't put in the article.

Me: CBOAT has mentioned that execs messed with the console design from day one.

Him: Yes. MS does not view this console as a 'games console', despite their last 4 months of convincing otherwise. Its all smoke & mirrors. MS has invested more money in opening studios to produce TV content than any game's studio for next-gen. Their focus is not games. Remember the earnings call from summer 2012 - they now internally refer to the platform as an "Entertainment Platform".

Me: Madness

Him: There are tons of other issues... its amazing how quiet the industry is being with so much going wrong on this platform.

I'll be honest, I had no idea this guy even had a TV show any more. I thought after Friday Night finished he stopped.

Learn something new every day

I believe he now has a show on ITV. If, like me, you're a bit of a snob, you probably don't lower yourself to watching *that* channel very often. ;)

Vol5

Him: Yes. MS does not view this console as a 'games console', despite their last 4 months of convincing otherwise. Its all smoke & mirrors. MS has invested more money in opening studios to produce TV content than any game's studio for next-gen. Their focus is not games. Remember the earnings call from summer 2012 - they now internally refer to the platform as an "Entertainment Platform".

Him: There are tons of other issues... its amazing how quiet the industry is being with so much going wrong on this platform.

Not surprising to be honest. That reveal was a massive middle finger to gamers.

edit: new thread worthy?

danwarb

It's really weird how they have so many new studios up and working on exclusive games for the platform then isn't it. Did someone forget to tell Microsoft what their focus is, and to stop spending so much money on games?

Krakn3Dfx

It's really weird how they have so many new studios up and working on exclusive games for the platform then isn't it. Did someone forget to tell Microsoft what their focus is, and to stop spending so much money on games?

Maybe I missed some news, what new studio do they have in play other than Black Tusk worth mentioning?

Ok this almost feels like fear mongering at this point. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you're Mort, but this reads kinda like the misterxmedia stuff if you just replace "Him" with "insider" and "me" with "mistercteam." The grammar is better, though.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

This makes total sense. Honestly the next media revolution will be the push for IPTV. If Microsoft can turn the xbox one into the essential IPTV tuner they don't even have to care about games any more. More people consume video and television than games. They want that money.

It's not great for gamers but it is great for MS. There is money and the view of possible regulation coming down the pipeline to get massive distribution of IPTV in the US and other markets. The business guys know where the market is going and they know the xbox branding is strong enough to carry them there.

Should this surprise anyone, I mean really. The writing was on the wall at the 'TV TV TV NFL TV TV TV video game TV TV TV' reveal.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

This actually doesn't surprise me.

Freki

After seeing the initial xbox one reveal this doesn't surprise me one bit to be honest...

Why didn't you disclose this last night?

Ok this almost feels like fear mongering at this point. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you're Mort, but this reads kinda like the misterxmedia stuff if you just replace "Him" with "insider" and "me" with "mistercteam." The grammar is better, though.

I vouch for this guy 100%. He is in a position to know. And it's not in his financial interest to fearmonger just for the sake of fearmongering. He isn't a PS4 fan or any stupid console wars shit like that.

Rich!

I thought he was a Nintendo fan boy!?....

review-ross-8843837_167712c.jpg

Oh indeed he is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqThGlynsus

This man has a fucking LCD array on his game room ceiling designed purely to display Mario and Zelda sprites. That's fucking dedication.

SHADES

I disagree

ZsrV1Sn.jpg

After that video Nelson is good in my book

That's your opinion & you're welcome to it, but Wossy has a metric shit ton more charisma than Larry, can actually laugh at himself. Would appeal to a greater audience & the used car salesman image dropped in an instant but I doubt the Wossy deal is anything other than a quick marketing deal(short term).

The only quality missed is the most needed skill & that's the tech/business skills but other than that I'd have him over Larry in a heartbeat.

I vouch for this guy 100%. He is in a position to know. And it's not in his financial interest to fearmonger just for the sake of fearmongering. He isn't a PS4 fan or any stupid console wars shit like that.

Like I said. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you're Mort. It's partially just the way it read to me, and like MS or not, they have revealed a ton of games. Maybe this was their initial strategy and now it's changed.

Why didn't you disclose this last night?

We had a very long conversation. I wanted to just stick to the topic of the OS/XBL and not have it be all over the place in the piece. But it fit in this thread about a TV guy so there ya go.

Most of my sources I don't write anything about... I just wait for posts where what they said is relevant. The only reason I wrote last night is because Bish wouldn't get back to me with a go ahead to post it here so I moved it to my blog (which, for the record, makes money for wordpress, not me...).

AmyS

Sounds like this console is kind of a modern version of the multimedia / early 32-Bit era from the early 1990s before the PS1 came along. Thought those lessions were learned like 20 years ago :/

Moonstone

This makes total sense. Honestly the next media revolution will be the push for IPTV. If Microsoft can turn the xbox one into the essential IPTV tuner they don't even have to care about games any more. More people consume video and television than games. They want that money.

Did they ever talk about IP TV? They talked about cable TV and IR blasters as far as I remember.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member

Nothing new here.

avaya

If they want an IPTV platform why are they spending money on studio's? Buy the fucking sports rights you idiots. NFL exclusive, Premier League, Champions League. It's fucking easy. You are MSFT, you would shit over the competition when it came to the bidding. You get INSTANT mainstream. You don't need games at all to do it.

Honestly run by cretins.

danwarb

Maybe I missed some news, what new studio do they have in play other than Black Tusk worth mentioning?
Here's the wiki page from 2008 onwards with hiring for 343 industries: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Studios_(game_studio)#2008

MS are big enough to have more than one focus, and they clearly do. There are a lot of people making games in MS studios. And a lot of money being spent.

I think FM's source seem a tad too vitriolic and coordinated to take as impartial.

I'm just speaking for myself here... but would it be crazy if I said that despite being an "entertainment platform", I'm more enticed in the games launch lineup that they provide compared to the other consoles?

You're not crazy. There are many people who find the Xbox One lineup more appealing than PS4. I'm included in that group. It's just a matter of personal taste.

The only time I have ever heard this name is in an old punk song, Who Gives A Toss (About Jonathan Ross). Same fellow I gather?

Hindle

Banned

The fact they've opened at least 3 new studios that we know about makes me sceptical. Black Tusk are confirmed to be working on a game. Osaka I don't see working on TV and thier other studio located in Victoria have recently hired former Killzone staff.

So your source seems misguided.

DBT85

The fact they've opened at least 3 new studios that we know about makes me sceptical. Black Tusk are confirmed to be working on a game. Osaka I don't see working on TV and thier other studio located in Victoria have recently hired former Killzone staff.

So your source seems misguided.

You have no idea what other info that particular source has provided that was accurate or not.

Hindle

Banned
You have no idea what other info that particular source has provided that was accurate or not.

A few of the Xbox fans have been doing thier research on MS new studios. They've been hiring game developers which means games are being made.

Rich!

he is more like the uk version of major nelson

What, is Major Nelson one of the highest paid TV personalities in the USA? Was he being paid millions by FOX/NBC for a primetime chatshow, which gained the highest ratings in that field, and garnered guests ranging from Robert Downey Jr, to Will Smith, to Daniel Craig, to uh Jeremy Clarkson?

Jonathan Ross was in that position over here on the BBC for almost two decades until he switched to ITV. He's still one of the highest paid TV personalities. He's still paid in the millions each year from ITV. You literally wouldn't find a single person in the UK who doesn't know who Jonathan Ross is, for better or worse, no matter what the age range is.

Totally the same as Major Nelson.

Top Bottom