• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

Diamonds was a youtube phenomenon?

AND TAYLOR SWIFT WON what on earth
Against gangnam style and harlem shake, I knew you were trouble was the biggest youtube phenomenon.
The tweens, their power indeed

it became huuuuuuuuuuuge after the goat meme happened.

Trigger

Hilariously bad.

...and I am not even trolling.

Oh oh my

tumblr_moczkfzz1x1qeiv9jo2_r1_500.gif

well..

BYLnYxPCcAIXnhH.png

I'm hoping when DWUW promo starts we'll see some good performances. The VMA performance was great...and nothing good since.

what r u doin gaga

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Applause lost to this trash. The video isnt even good

If the trend holds, Sia's demo should leak at some point.

Unless this is a Diamonds situation. I don't think Sia's demo ever leaked for that. Much to my chagrin.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Kind of love Perfume. This is a good year for excessively earnest-sounding pop.

Matangi growing on me, as well. It slayed at work. People who would never listen to anything like this were going nuts over it.

royalan

I feel like Dope is overwrought with Gaga trying to force a "moment" out of it, which makes it even worse.

She desperately wants that "lighters in the air" type of song.

You didn't lie. Cool is still one of the best bops on LAMB. And LAMB is nothing but bops from beginning to end.

I miss Gwen's solo career. LAMB is such an amazing album. The Sweet Escape isn't quite as good. But still solid.

Come back, Gwen. Come back and educate these bitches some more.

3phemeral

Sorry, Mumei, I didn't see your reply!

I'll have to listen to this again when I get home, because I've never heard what you're talking about. She's no Mariah (or Beyoncé) when it comes to demonstrating unostentatious ease, but she does possess about as much ease and flexibility as you're going to see in a full lyric soprano, and there are multiple examples of her performing very difficult intervals with aplomb. In fact, the only time I've seen her struggle with a song's demands is when she sang what appeared to be an impromptu cover of Mariah's Emotions on one of those Asian variety shows.

I wasn't detecting struggle, but maybe she was purposely avoiding the higher belts to prevent causing stress because she actually starts off singing a lower note before briefly reaching the peak of that line.

I'll post links from two different videos that showcases this. She actually uses this for more than some of the higher belts, so maybe it's just how she sings those particular vowel sounds. I'll emphasize the section of the word where she starts lower and ramps up to the peak:

Where-eh-EH-vah
oh-OH pen (1) | oh-OH pen (2)
Yoh-OR (1) | Yoh-OR (2)
Nuh-UH-thing (1) | Nuh-UH-thing (2)
Foreh-EH-vah (1) | Foreh-EH-vah (2)

I don't recall if she used crescendi on her belts in that performance, but I do know that if she did it was a conscious choice and not a crutch. She is nearly on Beyoncé's level when it comes to her control of dynamics, and she doesn't need to crescendo (or scoop) to reach her top notes or achieve power.

I don't listen to enough of her performances to know what she relies on or whether it's a crutch, but I do hear it in both of those MYHWGO performances, which is why I included it. Maybe it's just something she does on particular vowel sounds to gradually ease herself into a more open tone.

And tone is purely subjective, but on a personal note I think she has a gorgeous, crystalline tone, especially in her upper register or when singing lightly, and a beautifully supported scale throughout her range (sans a bit of the lower register).

Oh, I know it's subjective. :) It's like Regine Velasquez and Mariah. Regine clearly has mastery of her instrument, but when she does Mariah covers, I can't help but think that despite her hitting all the notes, there's a soulless, mechanical execution to the way it's all performed. SoHyang becomes shrill to my ears after once she hits her D5s, but below that, it's soft and quite magical. There are cases where her tone doesn't seem as harsh, like that run she did at the beginning of the Virtuosity video where the way she sings that line where the melody trumps whatever focus I'd have on her tone. It's beautifully executed.

She's clearly quite capable of a lot, which is why I find it odd I'm hearing those scoops. Maybe Roy can confirm what I'm hearing as I'm not technically inclined but I do swear I hear scoops.

But perhaps singing a mediocre Celine Dion song was not the best introduction to a goddess like SoHyang. Have you seen this video? Her control is machine-like (TM Leona).

Wow at this. That B5! You're right, MHWGO is beneath her capabilities.

[Edit] OMG, THIS WAS LIVE?

iGFSDy4KVmMMT.png
iGFSDy4KVmMMT.png
iGFSDy4KVmMMT.png
iGFSDy4KVmMMT.png

I'm so using this song.

[Double edit] This song has ended me. The melody, the emotion, her belts, the tension, the flawless transition from falsetto down into her chest, this belt where you think she can't go any higher, but she does and THEN she does a run, and the way she ends it! I'm sorry, Artpop, but I have been thoroughly slain.

does anyone still watch project runway? this guy is on all-stars season 3, but the show is so fucking terrible this year. 3 winners are back - proving that winning this show gets you jack shit apparently. and a fucking QVC accessories wall. i cant wait until season 4 of all-stars when they have a wal-mart accessories wall.

tumblr_moczkfzz1x1qeiv9jo2_r1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom