• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

Black Ops 2 Wii U

iA1AElLQXA22K.jpg

iHavlkvU151GI.jpg

iqiiQCsf2C4Qu.jpg

ibfKsJJR7CJRKs.jpg

iTGm44wtGOwex.jpg

ihwY96o2K0TUC.jpg

ipaR8LaWP8vNt.jpg

ib0AjBBLRVNDWY.jpg

ibgMyPmmkCq0H0.jpg

i9189Et5DApS5.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's a LOT of BO2 shots.

I think it's best to post shots without quotes, though, as they should automatically resize based on the window size.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Those Shadow Fall pics are awesome. And that's at the start of the gen. Wow.

We should include Ryse.

ryse-son-of-rome-screenshot.jpg

If Crytek isn't bullshitting us with Ryse screens and videos then their characters truly are on another level compared to anything else.

Modelling, shading, hair, self shadowing... It's just better than the rest on every single metric... It's also remarkable how much they improved over Crysis 3 in so little time.

Well done, Crytek (if it all really is realtime).

nib95

Banned
Damn, the Killzone shots this page and the last are absolutely incredible. Cannot believe we're getting this from a launch game...

If Crytek isn't bullshitting us with Ryse screens and videos then their characters truly are on another level compared to anything else.

Modelling, shading, hair, self shadowing... It's just better than the rest on every single metric... It's also remarkable how much they improved over Crysis 3 in so little time.

Well, from the footage and screens I've seen, my suspicion is that cut scenes are pre-rendered using slightly better IQ and/or sub-surface scattering/lighting, but it's impossible to tell. The only direct feed screenshots we have are from around a week or so ago, as I posted in this thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710774

None look nearly as good as the screen posted above, but we shall have to wait and see.

Yeah, it is a nice improvement over Crysis 3 that is for sure. Lighting in that shot is certainly special. I don't think it looks as realistic in other settings, but the facial models are clearly the best (until we see Uncharted 4 later this month I suspect). I think KZ at least matches in visuals overall, but Ryse definitely has the edge in facial animation, which looks a bit shody in KZ. For instance, this image from KZ looks awesome to me:

Pitmonkey

Guys please, more 'gameplay' shots ie. That show the HuD, the world, the character etc. Best way to make a game look impressive IMO.

I mean we already get those 'bullshot' pics that publishers and devs release to the public that are like framed properly with lighting and stuff.

I just want to see more outdoor shots of AC4, that really show the texture work, plants etc. Shots of Killzone that show the outdoors, the sky boxes etc. Really loving everything so far, especially Wind Waker. I beat that game like 4 times on gamecube, feel like buying a Wii U just to play it in HD.

Funny you say that about the HUD - every game I have posted without the HUD is "in game" - the brilliance of the Wii U game pad :)

On Screen

dJwjxrC.jpg

This is the Gamepad.

ffYTkZJ.jpg

Did Sethos get banned in this thread?

Also, unlike the more established screenshot threads; there are two many post with an excessive number of bad screenshots.

You don't have to indiscriminately dump everything in here you know.

Posting two of the best screenshots in a single post makes the thread livelier and keeps in on the first page.

Just saw that he was banned as well. If it was because of this thread, that's ridiculous. This is starting to become Eggshells: The Forum.

I also think some structure to the thread would be nice, but I'm not a regular participant so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

The uncompressed shots of Killzone don't look too bad. If I could enjoy shooters with a controller I'd probably get it.

coldfoot

Banned
Cheers. Is there still a decent variety of guns to use?
Standard fare assault rifles, shotguns, snipers, pistol, submachine gun, chaingun that makes you slow and can't bring it with you if you're not holding it, rocket launcher, one super powerful gun only for one segment of the game, etc.

Lo-Volt

Standard fare assault rifles, shotguns, snipers, pistol, submachine gun, chaingun that makes you slow and can't bring it with you if you're not holding it, rocket launcher, one super powerful gun only for one segment of the game, etc.

Yeah, basically that. If you don't mind switching weapons from the Helghast you take down you can get some weapons with more kick than the standard rifle. (Though I like the standard gun, when I can bloody aim it. I am so bad at this game!)

ozfunghi

Can we keep these facial comparisons for a separate thread? Not hating what so ever, just out of context for this threads intent.

That said - I'm constantly surprised with Assassin's Creed 4 for the Wii U. The texture work is so far beyond AC3 it's laughable.

dlY06iq.jpg

Nice (for a Wii U game). So, you also played AC3 on WiiU? How is the pop-in compared to that game?

This gen actually looks nice out the gate. I remember thinking how ugly a lot of early 360 and PS3 stuff was at the time. Everything looked plastic.

And yet everybody expected the WiiU to blow late PS360 multiplats out of the water at launch. The console didn't get a fair trial out of the gate IMO. Ports (never lead platform) usually handled by small outsourced teams, unfamiliar with the hardware. Too bad 3rd party support will die down, and only Nintendo will be able to get the most out of it. I'm hoping we will see some improvements in Monolith Soft's X yet. That game seems to be made for this thread.

Pitmonkey

Nice (for a Wii U game). So, you also played AC3 on WiiU? How is the pop-in compared to that game?

And yet everybody expected the WiiU to blow late PS360 multiplats out of the water at launch. The console didn't get a fair trial out of the gate IMO. Ports (never lead platform) usually handled by small outsourced teams, unfamiliar with the hardware. Too bad 3rd party support will die down, and only Nintendo will be able to get the most out of it. I'm hoping we will see some improvements in Monolith Soft's X yet. That game seems to be made for this thread.

I agree, I can't wait to see what they bring to the table with it. Hopefully this Holiday sees a much needed (deserved) surge. The pop in is significantly better this time around. You get the idea that the time spent with the hardware has helped.

Assassin's Creed III (Wii U) vs. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

bAg8wHDh.jpg

OqwBQQUh.jpg

Timu

Halo?

:p

Why are 90% of Killzone shots using that gun?

Yeah, but you use the default most of the time.

Avermedia Live Gamer HD but using FRAPS to take the screens.
Ah cool, I always wanted an Avermedia.

You guys aren't using the share button for those big native PS4 shots right? Capture cards?
I never use the Share button, and I have a Roxio.

ozfunghi

The pop in is significantly better this time around. You get the idea that the time spent with the hardware has helped.

Assassin's Creed III (Wii U) vs. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

bAg8wHDh.jpg

OqwBQQUh.jpg

Yup, that's a clear step up. Good to know. Wasn't planning on getting it, but now i'm tempted.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just saw that he was banned as well. If it was because of this thread, that's ridiculous. This is starting to become Eggshells: The Forum.

Didn't say people couldn't post as it is per definition a 'next-gen' console. I just wanted to look at PS4 screenshots or Xbox One shots when that's out. Not at that detestable dogshit from the Wii U we've already seen a million times for the past few months, the IQ alone makes me want to vomit.

That's far from eggshells. As long as it's not a permaban I think it's earned. He's been trolling a lot in the other threads and usually there's a thread of humor to it, that one was just straight malicious and distasteful.

That's a bull shot

Are you certain? It's got that upscaled lack of sharpness that you'd come to expect from 900p.

Though that also might just be due to compression.

Twitter/FB compression is awful, people should use message/capture if possible.
Anyhow I like the mood lightning of KZ:SF, and the IQ/Artstyle of Flower.
On the other hand I think CoD:G on WiiU looks horrible.

That's far from eggshells. As long as it's not a permaban I think it's earned. He's been trolling a lot in the other threads and usually there's a thread of humor to it, that one was just straight malicious and distasteful.
Fair enough. Perhaps he just doesn't like posting on GAF and is trying to get banned.

I wonder if we'll start seeing more posts by "Sothes" =P

Are you certain? It's got that upscaled lack of sharpness that you'd come to expect from 900p.
Regardless, I don't think any prerelease media should be used for comparisons. If that Ryse shot is actually from the xbox one in real time, I will be dually impressed with both the system and with what Crytek was able to do with it.

efeman

Banned
How would I insert an image into a post such that it automatically resizes like a lot of these images do? I don't think it has worked in the past for me to just do the IMG tags.

low-G

No tesselation?

Jesus Christ why I am seeing polygonal heads in almost 2014... (not a Killzone dig per se)

I've heard from developers that the main problem with tessellation is artists don't have a good way of working with it. To do a GOOD character model WITH tessellation is extremely difficult, at least with current tools.

Yes, I am saying the characters models in those PC games that use it are bad models, because they are, they look horrible.

How would I insert an image into a post such that it automatically resizes like a lot of these images do? I don't think it has worked in the past for me to just do the IMG tags.

If they're big they just auto resize to fit browser. Or if you quote them, they are always small and need clicking.

This thread is the perfect example for why I have the stance "Weak hardware means very different things than it once did."

WiiU is unequivocally weak in comparison to PS4/One and especially any gaming PC. But you still get games that look like those showing up in this thread. You can even see the technical superiority of those KillZone shots. Pretty clearly, and yet WiiU games are still beautiful.

Different era. Generation apart in tech means WiiU to PS4 now. Not N64 to GCN. You're still going to have gorgeous games. Just lacking in modern technical flourishes.

Top Bottom