• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The power difference; the long term issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilaul

PS4 (the more powerful machine) can run "the more demanding games" at the start of the generation at 1080p, 60 frames per second; while the same demanding game on XBOX One runs at 720p.

However the same was true with PS3 games at the begging of its cycle; 1080 p and 60 frames per second. However the most demanding game on PS3 at the end of it cycle hit 720p and 30 frames per second. The same with Xbox 360.

As the generation progresses; developers will start hitting ceilings, constraints; they will lower the resolution on PS4 and maybe even gimp the FPS. Lets not kid our self this will happen; the PS4 is already overshadowed by more powerful desktops and possibly laptops.

What will happen to the Xbox One ports of these more demanding games?

However the same was true with PS3 games at the begging of its cycle; 1080 p and 60 frames per second. However the most demanding game on PS3 at the end of it cycle hit 720p and 30 frames per second. The same with Xbox 360.

I don't recall any games with this resolution parity when 360/PS3 launched. Can you give examples? The same was not true. Certainly not a gap where one was 720p and one was 1080p just minor AA tweaks or 5fps more differences.

Also there is still a difference between the most demanding games on either console (360/PS3) today. I can't imagine 360 doing games that will ever look as good as Last of Us or Beyond Two Souls for example. I know a game like Gears of War Judgement even Halo 4 while good looking certainly aren't as impressive looking as some of the PS3 exclusives.

If anything there is more of a graphical gap now with current gen (when you look at exclusives) then there was at the start of it.

I think we may see a few games hit sub-hd on XB1 but it will likely be due to devs not optimizing the platform

Feel framerates are more important and doubt we'll see anything too crazy there

Effects may have to go to the wayside though

As the generation progresses; developers will start hitting ceilings, constraints; they will lower the resolution on PS4 and maybe even gimp the FPS. Lets not kid our self this will happen; the PS4 is already overshadowed by more powerful desktops and possibly laptops.

Unless the XB1 is a sales flop I don't think this is going to happen. Going forward I expect the XB1 to be the base "playable" platform for multiplats and the PS4 will have better resolutions, FPS or lighting.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
PS4 (the more powerful machine) can run "the more demanding games" at the start of the generation at 1080p, 60 frames per second; while the same demanding game on XBOX One runs at 720p.

Other than a few downloadable titles, I don't think this was ever true.

BibiMaghoo

I think this statement is actually wrong. The most demanding game on both platforms - BF4 - can manage 1080p on neither. I think we are going to see that 720 x 30fps much earlier on for both than this gen.

In the long run devs will try to go back to 720p with sub 30fps framerate. Depending on reviews and public reaction they might not so it.

PS3's life with multiplats started off with piss poor points (Rainbow Six Vegas comes to mind), and EA Sports games running at half the framerate of the 360 versions.

Thrillers

Banned
Secret-Sauce.jpg

taoofjord

I'd rather dev's not push their engines beyond the point where they have to take the resolution lower than 1080p. The clean image quality is far more important than extra effects or higher resolution textures.

orioto

Good Art™
The OP is so wrong to begin with..
What more demanding game runs at 1080p/60fps on the PS4 ? Almost no games runs at that combo, and if they do, they are not the "most demanding games" by definition..

And what PS3 games ran at 1080p/60 ? Pixel Junk Monsters ?

Anyway on the topic, you're right. the difference will turn pretty ugly with the time. When games will barely run on PS4.. i don't want to imagine the XBO version.

Seeing the results developers were able to achieve with ps4 LAUNCH games I just don't see them dropping below 900p even 3-4 years from now when the system is being pushed... I Guess that's a minority opinion though

CaptNink

Don't things get generally "better" after time has passed and developers have had a chance to learn how to squeeze as much performance as possible out of the hardware?

Piggus

This really isn't going to happen, OP. It's unacceptable for games in 2013 to run at 720p and Sony knows this.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'd rather dev's not push their engines beyond the point where they have to take the resolution lower than 1080p. The clean image quality is far more important than extra effects or higher resolution textures.

I love clean image quality, but a boring image is boring no matter how clean it is. Visual feedback is central to my enjoyment of video games so extra effects and interesting stuff to look at is at least as important to me as clean edges.

molnizzle

I can live with this as long as it bottoms out at 900p on PS4. It wouldn't surprise me if the eventual standard for multi-plats becomes 900p30 PS4, 720p30 Xbone.

RalchAC

I don't recall any games with this resolution parity when 360/PS3 launched. Can you give examples? The same was not true. Certainly not a gap where one was 720p and one was 1080p just minor AA tweaks or 5fps more differences.

Wasn't the Ridge Racer game that launched with the PS3 1080p and 60 fps? I think I read that somewhere.

synce

It'll be the way it is now... PS360 scenario in reverse. Eventually devs will figure out the Xbone but it still won't be as good as alternative. Although I imagine Sony's exclusives will continue to look better than Microsoft's in any case

FireFly

The OP is so wrong to begin with..
What more demanding game runs at 1080p/60fps on the PS4 ? Almost no games runs at that combo, and if they do, they are not the "most demanding games" by definition..

And what PS3 games ran at 1080p/60 ? Pixel Junk Monsters ?

Anyway on the topic, you're right. the difference will turn pretty ugly with the time. When games will barely run on PS4.. i don't want to imagine the XBO version.
There's nothing stopping developers from dialing down visual effects to achieve frame rate parity. Additionally, multiplatform games will likely be designed with the Xbox One as a baseline.

orioto

Good Art™
There's nothing stopping developers from dialing down visual effects to achieve frame rate parity. Additionally, multiplatform games will likely be designed with the Xbox One as a baseline.

Hm you know and everyone knows it's wrong.. If this launch is showing something, it's that they won't do that, as they didn't for BF4 or CoD... And they won't do that cause games are on a road of always better graphics, and they need that to sell (or at least devs think so). That means they won't gimp anything, they will go full crazy with what they can do this gen. They won't have a lower global product for the sake of parity, letting first party title ridicule them..

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Don't things get generally "better" after time has passed and developers have had a chance to learn how to squeeze as much performance as possible out of the hardware?
True, but the hardware will not get better.

Also, the PS4 being easy to develop for means that developers will have access to most of it's power very early, meaning that there won't be a lot of improvement, like you saw on PS1, 2 and 3 (which were extremely complicated to develop for).

The Xbox is the opposite case, but it is still weaker than the PS4, so even if developers squeeze more power out of it with time, it will not reach PS4.

Tsundere

Banned
Hm you know and everyone knows it's wrong.. If this launch is showing something, it's that they won't do that, as they didn't for BF4 or CoD... And they won't do that cause games are on a road of always better graphics, and they need that to sell (or at least devs think so). That means they won't gimp anything, they will go full crazy with what they can do this gen. They won't have a lower global product for the sake of parity, letting first party title ridicule them..

Well, COD isn't rendering at its "native" 1080p as they somehow bugged the retail version... Runs at 900p until patched (haven't following up on it, don't know if it was patched yet or not), same for Assassin's Creed 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom