• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Francis rages about Microtransactions

Mononoke

Banned
People like me? Two posts is going "on and on" about "people like boogie"? Where are you getting this shit?

And you say it's a parody but that's exactly the point I'm disputing, or at least trying to deconstruct. It's an odd parody if his behavior is parodical but his message is serious. If people find yelling to be funny, then I guess it qualifies as parody. I don't think that's funny, so I just wanted to ask about what I might be missing, having little experience with his videos.

Again, boogie (as himself) seems like a perfectly cool dude.

Well first off, I should apologize. My original post was uncalled for and was definitely disrespectful. Everyone should be able to express their opinions on here, and criticizing someone's work is totally legitimate.

It's just, I feel like every single time we have a thread about Francis, there is a wave of people going on and on asking why people should like the guy, or even listen to him. Again, there is nothing wrong with this. It's totally fair to say: I don't like character, or what he's doing. I don't get the appeal.

Personally, I'm with you. I don't like Francis. As a character, I don't find him funny. It's not my kind of comedy. But I also personally think it's legitimate parody, and clearly people do like him. Hence why he has so many followers and views (he recently reached one million). I have no issue with people questioning why people like him, because you personally don't like him.

Really, most post was just non-sense. I just noticed that every time a thread pops up with him, there are people bringing this up. But you know what, it's totally fair.

RooMHM

I love how random guys become important persona in a few weeks.
Wait I don't. It's practically 1 thread a day isn't it? This type of threads takes the space for actual news on the first page.

Wait I don't. It's practically 1 thread a day isn't it? This type of threads takes the space for actual news on the first page.
Yeah, we need more space for threads on every single jimquisition episode.

I love how you can't ignore a thread you have no interest in and feel the need to come complain instead.

Sounds like something Francis would do.

Biker19

Banned
Need to update that brah:

d81W5BC.jpg

So true. And it's just sad.

Whatever happened to having mostly full games from the start? Whatever happened to unlocking stuff by beating the games, or earning stuff that you find during the game, etc.?

All of these On-Disc DLC, Online passes, Micro-transactions, etc., & yet, these "gamers" out there are tolerating these practices? WTF?

This is very, very unacceptable. I predict that if this doesn't stop, that gamers everywhere are gonna get fed up with this & will simply stop gaming or just turn towards indie games that resembles games they grew up with (such as myself) as well as going retro gaming at the same time.

Phreaker

It it really any different than Forza 4? You could buy tokens with real cash to unlock cars. They were A LOT cheaper (token-wise) in Forza 4. If anything it seems they incentivesed people to not buy tokens to unlock cars, but to race in the game and get credits to buy cars.

If people had no interest in this it would fall off the first page; the fact that it hasn't shows that people are interested in what Francis has to say. If you don't like it you don't have to post here, and in fact, by posting here you're attracting more attention to the thread.

nib95

Banned
wow all cars cost 104,501,000CR and 20,000CR cost £64.99 that means all cars cost £339,576... that can't be true

I lol'd.

How much time would it take to unlock all cars? Is there a particular race that gives a shit tonne of credits?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Well first off, I should apologize. My original post was uncalled for and was definitely disrespectful. Everyone should be able to express their opinions on here, and criticizing someone's work is totally legitimate.

It's just, I feel like every single time we have a thread about Francis, there is a wave of people going on and on asking why people should like the guy, or even listen to him. Again, there is nothing wrong with this. It's totally fair to say: I don't like character, or what he's doing. I don't get the appeal.

Personally, I'm with you. I don't like Francis. As a character, I don't find him funny. It's not my kind of comedy. But I also personally think it's legitimate parody, and clearly people do like him. Hence why he has so many followers and views (he recently reached one million). I have no issue with people questioning why people like him, because you personally don't like him.

Really, most post was just non-sense. I just noticed that every time a thread pops up with him, there are people bringing this up. But you know what, it's totally fair.

No worries. I can totally empathize with being annoyed by seeing the same shit brought up over and over again. It's just a negative side effect of a forum this big. There will always be someone saying some old shit as though it's the first time it's been brought up. I apologize if my post covered well-worn territory. I haven't been reading the Francis/Boogie threads in depth, but I have noticed a real increase in their frequency so I decided to finally check him out.

We cool.

Atilac

One of the most perverse things about forza 5 is that buying tokens in bulk costs more than buying in small scale. They hope some yokel won't notice the unfair conversion rate and instead will buy a bunch of points instead of sitting there and spaming 100 token - 1 dollar transactions. It isn't an acident, it is done purposefully as a trap,

kurbaan

Banned
Maybe I am just not grasping it, or it doesn't matter to me, since I never bought tokens and don't plan to. It seems cars cost a lot more tokens this time around. I drive and get credits. I spend those credits on cars.

Basically they have made it harder / slower to get credits to buy cars now. So all the good cars are super expensive and take SUPER long compared to older games to get. On top of they they have EXPENSIVE micro-transactions to buy tokens so you can get the cars. I think some of the best cars are over $60 dollars in tokens to get.

wow all cars cost 104,501,000CR and 20,000CR cost £64.99 that means all cars cost £339,576... that can't be true

edit: uh wait there are tokens and credits?! can somebody calculate the total $ amount for all cars?
edit 2: omg... the amount is in the forza 5 OP: $1690 for all cars

Lol, no it's not quite that bad. Edit: ah man, you edited to correct your awesome astronomical figure!

Paid-for tokens are different to earned credits CR. If you wanted to buy all cars with real life money, well:

Token cost of all cars in the game comes to 168993
if bought at simplest token value cost of 8000 per $100 usd, that comes to $2200. you could probably bring it in a bit cheaper by buying the remaining balance with smaller amounts instead of the 8000 lot.
if bought at the least value cost of 1250 per $20 that comes to $2700.
cheapest overall brings it to $1690 with 100 tokens per dollar..

da fuq?

Yeah, depending on which token pack you buy, between $1690-$2700.

Plus the $60 game and $50 season pass DLC, of course.

Forza really should be a F2P game if they're asking you to buy cars.

Anyway, as pointed out by another poster, it doesn't matter if we vote with our wallets by not buying the games.
Those that do buy the games, and do buy the DLC, can vote yes as many times as they want whereas we can only vote no once.

mackattk

Maybe I am just not grasping it, or it doesn't matter to me, since I never bought tokens and don't plan to. It seems cars cost a lot more tokens this time around. I drive and get credits. I spend those credits on cars.

The problem, as I understand it, is that the normal gameplay progression are hindered in an effort to make the player pay for tokens. There are no longer car and upgrade rewards when playing through the game. Not getting new cars as a reward really sucks. You are thus forced to use the same car longer than in other games.

I can only see the tokens as a cash grab for players not wanting to sink in 50+ hours of grinding to buy one of the top cars with credits.

The problem, as I understand it, is that the normal gameplay progression are hindered in an effort to make the player pay for tokens. There are no longer car and upgrade rewards when playing through the game. Not getting new cars as a reward really sucks. You are thus forced to use the same car longer than in other games.

I can only see the tokens as a cash grab for players not wanting to sink in 50+ hours of grinding to buy one of the top cars with credits.

Basically yes.

You want to tool around in that Lotus E21? You gotta grind for 26 hours (6 million CR at 230k CR/hr), or pony up the 10,000 tokens. Choose your poison.

You can buy is 8,000, for $64.95. That's not enough. Throw in an extra 2,700 pack (the next smallest size), for $26.95.

Wow, that only came to $91.90. And you still have 700 tokens left!

Hey, that Ferrari 250 GTO looks cool. Oh, that's 6 million CR too?

Nicktals

Banned
Basically yes.

You want to tool around in that Lotus E21? You gotta grind for 26 hours (6 million CR at 230k CR/hr), or pony up the 10,000 tokens. Choose your poison.

Oh, but the largest token pack you can buy is 8,000, for £64.99. That's not enough. Throw in an extra 2,700 pack (the next smallest size), for £39.99.

Wow, that only came to £104.98. And you still have 700 tokens left!

Wow. And if you buy it in tokens, you still need to purchase it in game somehow? lol not that this isn't fucked up enough.

Wow. And if you buy it in tokens, you still need to purchase it in game somehow? lol not that this isn't fucked up enough.

Sorry, that was some sort of leaked price list I was using apparently (although try typing "Forza 5 token prices" into google. Why isn't there an official list on the first page of results?).

I've changed my post to use the correct current prices, and it's still outrageous so I think the point stands.

Jeff-DSA

Basically yes.

You can buy is 8,000, for $64.95. That's not enough. Throw in an extra 2,700 pack (the next smallest size), for $26.95.

Wow, that only came to $91.90. And you still have 700 tokens left!

Essentially the "free to play" hooks in a full retail title, but they're actually more burdensome than free to play games.

Cool game, Microsoft.

Because the fanbase "gamers" keep demanding more and more shiny graphics among other things, yet want to pay the exact same prices they always have been.

What a simplistic and contrary statement. So you're saying they immediately answer "YES!" to demands for "shiny graphics", but when it comes to reasonable pricing, that's a deal breaker?

That's completely ass-backwards. If the cost is too high, then don't make it. Because I, for one, am not going to fall for the illusion of a purchase followed up by piecemeal follow-up sales, nor an intrusive scheme to irritate me into purchase, nor game design of intentional tedium in an effort to make my impatience override my principles.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Boogie makes some reasonable points. Too bad MS won't care.

They would care if people didn't buy Forza 5 due to all of it's microtransaction crap.

Too bad people won't stop buying Forza 5.... :(

I know I'm very late to this party, but has anyone coined the name "MicrotransactionSoft" yet? Seems like low hanging fruit imo ;)

But yeah, great video from Boogie. Lost it at "So I won't even need to install the fucking game!".

Jeff-DSA

What a simplistic and contrary statement. So you're saying they immediately answer "YES!" to demands for "shiny graphics", but when it comes to reasonable pricing, that's a deal breaker?

That's completely ass-backwards. If the cost is too high, then don't make it. Because I, for one, am not going to fall for the illusion of a purchase followed up by piecemeal follow-up sales, nor an intrusive scheme to irritate me into purchase, nor game design of intentional tedium in an effort to make my impatience override my principles.

It blows my mind that we get overpriced DLC apologists, even on GAF. I mean, wow.

And yes, if you can't afford it, don't build it.

Coolwhip

Banned
Vote with your wallets people!

Decent video, the Francis videos all blend into eachother for me. Liked the Zelda praise though. Nintendo remaining the beacon of light in this DLC, microtransaction, season pass ridden gaming landscape.

Nokterian

Boogie speaking truth there! Boogie and Jim are those who i really listen to who have knowledge and now what they are talking about!

MogCakes

Boogie speaking truth there! Boogie and Jim are those who i really listen to who have knowledge and now what they are talking about!

They have also both gained a substantial hatedom as a result. I'm glad that they're not afraid of speaking their minds and their interests lie with consumers and not keeping their corporate perks.

kurbaan

Banned
Because the fanbase "gamers" keep demanding more and more shiny graphics among other things, yet want to pay the exact same prices they always have been.

haha. What a joke. The best selling games of this gen (COD) wasn't even close to the best looking. Of course everyone wants good graphics but the cost from last gen to this gen is not going up much. Hell it might even go down.

TheContact

Paid transactions belong in f2p mobile games not $60 console games. I understand DLC increases the lifespan of games--nothing wrong with paid content, as long as it truly is content created after the fact and not bullshit already hidden in the disc that you just pay to unlock. Even microtransactions are fine as long it's COSMETIC only and also was made after the game was finished. It's when you start paying to win that really makes me rage

Atari games were anywhere from 15-30 dollars back in 78. Factor in inflation, and how games were made by 1 person in weeks to a few months...graphics are a billion times better yet prices are pretty similar still. I can't exactly tell you why this is the case, probably because they were able to sell the games for that price back then despite how relatively little work it took compared to today's games. And because very few people would be willing to pay more than $60 for a game, regardless of how graphical it is, among other economic reasons I'm sure

Paid transactions belong in f2p mobile games not $60 console games. I understand DLC increases the lifespan of games--nothing wrong with paid content, as long as it truly is content created after the fact and not bullshit already hidden in the disc that you just pay to unlock. Even microtransactions are fine as long it's COSMETIC only and also was made after the game was finished. It's when you start paying to win that really makes me rage

Atari games were anywhere from 15-30 dollars back in 78. Factor in inflation, and how games were made by 1 person in weeks to a few months...graphics are a billion times better yet prices are pretty similar still. I can't exactly tell you why this is the case, probably because they were able to sell the games for that price back then despite how relatively little work it took compared to today's games. And because very few people would be willing to pay more than $60 for a game, regardless of how graphical it is, among other economic reasons I'm sure

Well, games in the NES generation were around $40-$50 IIRC and then the next generation they ranged from $40 up to $80 (maybe more in certain cases) due to the high costs of ROM chips. Then with the original Playstation finally pushing CDs into the uhh "mainstream" in terms of video games drop production costs down sharply thanks to CDs costing only a fraction to produce. But at the same time costs on the other side of production were continuing to rise and exploded this generation thanks to a number of factors, the jump to HD and a certain PS3 being an absolute bitch to work with contributed greatly to the costs increase. Of course then there's a bunch of other factors including mismanagement and bloated marketing budgets that do little to actually sell the game. But games are still only $60 and I can't help but roll my eyes when people complain that they cost too much.

That said, micro-transactions espeically when they hit the extremes like Forza 5 are complete bullshit just as certain forms of "DLC" are when things get cut from the core game during development so they can be sold later as additional content.

I remember being kind of excited at the idea of DLC, expecting publishers wouldn't go over board and mainly focus on new content that would expand on the core experience and make you play a game longer. Perhaps foolishly I expected publishers/developers to treat all DLC as an expansion. Unfortunately that became an exception and not the rule. Plus this generation started a seemingly major failing of QA with a "release it now, patch it later" mentality which perhaps is a side effect of how bad this generation was for game development, again especially on the PS3 side. Being able to patch and fix bugs is great but a lot of the bugs shouldn't be there in the first place.

Imagine if games were released in the states they have been in the 6th generation or previous generations as they were in the 7th when patching was made possible. I get why it happens but it's no less annoying.

/sleepdeprivedrambling

MJLord

Microtransactions can totally work in a full price game. But only if you're selling assets, skins and the like.

It doesn't compromise the game to do that. I think that's what most peoples apprehensions are, it's certainly mine.

Bluth54

Microtransactions can totally work in a full price game. But only if you're selling assets, skins and the like.

It doesn't compromise the game to do that. I think that's what most peoples apprehensions are, it's certainly mine.

I agree, I was fine when Valve added a in game store to Team Fortress 2. The store mainly sold cosmetic items, but it did sell weapons too. It is fairly easy to get weapons from playing the game and the store was just a faster way to get the weapon you wanted. Plus most of the weapon models were made by people in the community so it's only fair they get paid for their weapon models.

Of course now the game is Free to Play and Valve didn't really alter the drop system (aside from free players not getting as much backpack space or rare drops) so again I was fine with it.

Top Bottom