• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 2-8 | Everybody Wins!

Nabs

I dont know if this is the right place to ask, but it mmight be since the deal was posted on the fgc thread las week. So I bought the namco store deal of 2 games and the tekken x something something stick. The deal was for $60. I got the shipping email today and it had this.

The 2 games show on the email, but the place for the stick is replaced with a weird number.

Has someone experienced something like this with their store?

Yikes. I hope you get your stick. I got the email from them tonight, but it lists the two games and the stick. UPS just got it as well, so it says it'll get here by Thursday. Fingers crossed.

I can't see the Wii U smash game making any sort of big splash unless they offer proper classic controller support. What is happening with the project M game? The Nintendo ninjas would strike that down straight away right?

I can't see the Wii U smash game making any sort of big splash unless they offer proper classic controller support. What is happening with the project M game? The Nintendo ninjas would strike that down straight away right?

If they offer Wii U Pro Controller support then it'll all be good.

Infinite

Brawl had 4 controller configurations that the player can customize. Can't imagine Smash WiiU not supporting the Classic Controllers.

Sayah

Hmm.
On Namco's website it says that they shipped it.
However, the tracking number given in my confirmation email was not recognized when I went to track it. (This could be because they just sent it out)

I know Sayah ordered one too. I wonder if he got the same email.

Yeah, I got the same email. It says they replaced it with a product of equal or greater value.
My package is right now in Nashville, TN. Guess I'll find it out what I get once it ships.

Westlo

Anyone got a timestamp to the single elim tourny @ Super Arcade for Ultra?

Also good to see both Combofiend and dawgtanian both admit Cammy got nerfed way too hard, though I doubt they have much push @ the end call is Ayano and co's.

But yeah Popi posted this on SRK

Aight guys i tried her out...really bad news she was LITERALLY destroyed but like shiroyasha said i talked with dawgtanian and they are already changing stuff, on this version you can't pressure, get punished if they do delayed wake up and you do backthrow st.lp strike setup because of the recovery LOL!, divekick on hit does not combo if you try to pressure with divekick after a hk spiral you are the one being pressured lol! i even got counterhited sometimes for trying to press jab lol! Hk crossup strike on ryu does not exist no use because you are gonna get punished, throw is guaranteed on divekick almost you can SRK on block if you do it a littlebit to high man i can go forever but as i said dont worry he told me "We don't wanna destroy the character so we are gonna buff her a bit i read something about cr.hp to combo back also the divekicks are coming back" he couldent understand basically he did not wanna say much but yeaaah there you go the other version is already out btw but we get to play this one lol!, ask anything ill try to answer peace

I guess some one from Japan already msgs Dawg and Combo about some future changes in internal builds.... prob said something about nerfing Ken's sweep too lol. I'm sure the guys can push for some things but if Ayano's team say "fuck your kara throw nerf for Ken, how about we give him more buffs instead" than what can Combo do? (Combo wanted the range nerfed as a tradeoff for his walk speed increase which was fair enough imo)

Still I can't believe they made his Ultra sweep better than his AE sweep, his Vanilla/Super/2012 sweep is 8 frames startup and is -6 on block (so much safer compared to Ryu and Akuma). For AE they took a frame from the startup and put it on the recovery making it 7 startup and -7 on block, for Ultra it's 7 frame start up and -6 on block, Ken can't punish his own sweep but Ryu's 5 frame sweep can.

Oh and the best way to give Cammy her c.hp combos back is to leave it @ +5 on hit but make c.mk startup @ 5 frames, 1 framer instead of the current 2 but c.mk ing 5 would be a godlike buff... Ayano pls. But if they unnerf Cammy it's probably making her divekick recovery 6 frames instead of 5 (to match the added recovery that Rufus got) and making c.hp +6 so her c.mk combos are 1 frame instead of 2.

Yeah, I got the same email. It says they replaced it with a product of equal or greater value.
My package is right now in Nashville, TN. Guess I'll find it out what I get once it ships.

Yea same. Mine's coming in on wednesday so ill also update when I get it.

Sayah

For those wondering about the Namco stick, here is an SRK post from this guy from 2 or so years ago with the same exact e-mail message for the same stick. He ended up getting the right stick shipped. So I'm guessing it's just something Namco has listed in the e-mail for whatever reason.

He paid $219 for it then. I feel even more happy with my purchase all of a sudden. :D

Busaiku

Even Classic Controller's still a problem since it'd still have to be running off of a wireless Wii Remote Plus or Wii U Gamepad.
Oh whoops, didn't know they could be connected through USB.

Shito

get punished if they do delayed wake up and you do backthrow st.lp strike setup because of the recovery LOL!
Is he living in a bubble or what? Has he not been following the many critics that led to this Ultra version in the first place?
That's the very point of the delayed wake up!

I mean, I like watching Popi play, but players crying over their once dumb and easy character now being "destroyed" is always quite funny...

OceanBlue

it looks cool, but i'm wondering about early audience fatigue once all the fireworks and 30 hit comboes become the norm.

also wtf mang your avatar!

Long combos don't scare people from Marvel. It shouldn't be a huge deal.

In another universe where I weren't already interested in so many other games and KI wasn't on the XB1, I'd probably be really interested in spending time on it. Unfortunately, I have other games I want to play too and no one in my local scene is interested in buying an XB1.

Huw Dawson, while at work I was still thinking about what had happened to you at Dreamhack and it reminded me that I had a similar experience to you one time. I can't help it but mention it but lets just say I really do understand what you went through, it just didn't happen on the same scale and the out come was different though. I did post about this before but I'm just going to do it again.

Two years ago I went to a local tournament. This was the first tournament after SSF4 Arcade Edition came out on console. I was pretty excited to test out my Evil Ryu in a tournament for the first time. I played this guy in casuals. It was my Seth against his Sagat. He was pretty bad to be honest and I beat him pretty easily twice. Later that day he ended up being my 2nd match in the tournament(we were both in losers).

This time he picked Guy and I chose Evil Ryu. Right off the bat he starts jumping backwards. I didn't know what his game plan was but I soon realize exactly what he wanted to do and this was pretty much his entire gameplan. He would play keep away and then do run slide or run overhead. And somehow he was guessing right most of the time. Even when he guessed wrong I failed to punish. I was completely mind fucked. I didn't think about DP'ing his slides at all because he wasn't baiting. I would chase him to the corner and he would wall jump away and restart his shenanigans all over again. I ended up losing that first match.

Yeah, I was fucking pissed off as hell. On the inside I was raging like a maniac. So what did I do? I went back to my old main Ken. What was my gameplan? To play almost as stupid as he did against me. I spammed step kick to chase him down and when I caught up to him I would do jab jab kara throw(even if the jabs hit). I won the match and didn't shake his hand or say anything. I was still furious about how I could possibly lose to him.

After I had some time to cool off, I actually felt bad about how I handled it. I felt like an asshole for trolling him back. I don't think he did anything intentionally. I told the guys in the SF4 thread and I think most of them seem to approve of my actions instead of thinking what I did was wrong lol. But like others have said, just take this as a learning lesson, that's what I did. Well, except yours will live in infamy for all of eternity lol.

Dahbomb

Depends on if the stuff is actually good.

Also Max posted his official Killer Instinct week 1 character ranking (because tiers are useless for just 6 characters):

Jago (the best character in the game, no bad match ups)
Saberwulf
Sadira
Glacius
Orchid
Thunder

Orchid and Thunder were kinda tied though. Not much of a gap among these characters and everyone is viable.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Also Max posted his official Killer Instinct week 1 character ranking (because tiers are useless for just 6 characters):

Saberwulf
Sadira
Glacius
Orchid
Thunder

Orchid and Thunder were kinda tied though. Not much of a gap among these characters and everyone is viable.
What's sadira's bad match up?

Dahbomb

What's sadira's bad match up?
Thunder as shocking as it is sounds. They were demonstrating that most of Thunder's air to air normals completely stuff out Sadira's air options and once she gets knocked down by Thunder she has a terrible wake up game.

Thunder gets beat by Glacius and Jago.. Saberwulf beats Glacius, good against Thunder too because his reversal is the ultimate anti cross up move as it hits all around him.

I missed the Orchid section though so don't what she does well against.

Westlo

Is he living in a bubble or what? Has he not been following the many critics that led to this Ultra version in the first place?

I mean, I like watching Popi play, but players crying over their once dumb and easy character now being "destroyed" is always quite funny...

The divekick doesn't combo and if blocked can be throw by everyone. It's about as useful as spin knuckle @ hooligan are right now (notice how Capcom didn't even try to fix these broken ass moves), but yeah GODMODE EX Divekick is still in the house.

Seyavesh

people keep saying this and i really disagree because it seems to be missing something to it- to many folks, marvel's long dumb combos are the same as other long dumb combos but from a general reading of reactions they're more aesthetically appealing and interesting than most other long, dumb combos due to the thought the designers put into how combos generally visually flow.

the nature of combos in marvel causes the camera to shift a lot both vertically and horizontally- look at the basis of every single combo in the game alongside the game's hitstun design system of ground/superjump heights having different hitstun modifiers- the game actively encourages the _______ launch ______ spike OTG _____ type of combo, which when viewed in a camera/movement pattern is (horizontal movement combo), (vertical camera shift with launch), (air horizontal movement), (vertical camera shift with spike), (horizontal movement or locked into corner so no camera shift)

compare this to KI, sfxt, blazblue, skullgirls and whatever other games you've got in mind for having long, mind-numbing combos as their standard- the range of allowed movement/stage range effectively limits this kind of camerawork and really hurts the aesthetic component of the combos, leading them to be exceptionally boring in more cases.

this is a lot of words about something that seems minor but it's something that really interests me because i was really wondering why to myself so many long combos in "long combo games" were mind numbingly boring while many in marvel weren't despite being equally as long or longer(!!). there's lots of different factors, but i ultimately boiled it down to the camera movement, with the general aesthetic appeal of large hitsparks, attack effects and easy readability/extreme exaggerated animations being second to it.
(the latter being something that i feel KI really lacks)

another example of a game with absurdly long combos that are entertaining is HNK's glitchy combos. every single hnk combo i've seen is just nonstop horizontal camera movement (until cornered where it becomes stale or absurd) or really extremely absurd looking position shifting/absurd placement ala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xrS0kyBPeY

Shito

It's totally subjective, though, because I usually find Marvel combos quite unbeareable (they are reaaaally way too long and made of reaaaally repetitive parts), while I find SFxT and BB combos totally fine. Also, a standard SFxT / BB combo is WAY shorter than a standard Marvel one.

Anecdotic, but it did for me.

OceanBlue

It's totally subjective, though, because I usually find Marvel combos quite unbeareable (they are reaaaally way too long and made of reaaaally repetitive parts), while I find SFxT and BB combos totally fine. Also, a standard SFxT / BB combo is WAY shorter than a standard Marvel one.

Anecdotic, but it did for me.

That's how I feel about Marvel combos as well. Well, as far as KI is concerned, there's always the chance for breakers and counter-breakers or whatever so it should be more dynamic.

Seyavesh

yeah for sure there's always gonna be a subjective aspect to it so it's not all-encompassing at all. i did know sfxt/bb combos are way shorter but something about them being more "boring" to folks was something i was really curious about and it's just a general pattern i noticed between all the games with combos that i found extremely long and boring despite my favorite game being marvel 3

it kinda clicked with me when i was wonderin' about why skullgirls combos seemed to make me to want to fall asleep and someone joked that effectively all skullgirls combos are lightning loops

that is to say, they're a repetition of ultimately similar looking things (variations of a loop) with no extreme camera movement and no immediate readability besides "this similar looking thing is happening over and over again statically like an animated gif"

edit: combo breakers are an interesting take on getting rid of exceptionally long, tedious combos but at the same time i personally find major issues with that too for a different reason mostly relating to my dislike of how it's contrary to the flow i perceive in fighting games

Dahbomb

TAC infinites and Lightning/Spiral/FotF loops have generally made a long combo game into an unbearably long combo game. The average non OP combo in Marvel is fairly varied with a lot of components to it (ground combo, wall/ground bounce, launcher, air/flight/TAC combo, OTG plus assist, extension, call 2nd assist, extension into hyper into possible DHC) so its prettu nice but when you introduce so many repeating parts in a combo that generally go against the design philosophy of the game, well you end up seeing a bunch of movies you never wanted to see.

The game is just simply flashy as hell and animated well without being a clusterfuck. And some characters have moves that look like they hurt... when you get clocked by a Bionic Arm or a Pipe you feel that shit.

The difference for me is in the finality of the combo.

In Marvel 3 you get some really long ass combos but generally if they are completed, the character is dead and everything starts again (to some extent with the incoming mixup). Basically a combo is decisive and it is interesting to see if it is completely hit or not.

In a game like sfxt, the combo is shorter, but you might see the same damn combo 2 or 3 times in a round (just watch any Justin Wong game with Chun-li). That gets old really fast over a set and it rarely matters too much if it is dropped.

Thunder as shocking as it is sounds. They were demonstrating that most of Thunder's air to air normals completely stuff out Sadira's air options and once she gets knocked down by Thunder she has a terrible wake up game.

Thunder gets beat by Glacius and Jago.. Saberwulf beats Glacius, good against Thunder too because his reversal is the ultimate anti cross up move as it hits all around him.

I missed the Orchid section though so don't what she does well against.
Surprised to hear sabrewulf is a good match up with Glacius. From watching gameplay glacius should have an overwhelming advantage.

CPS2

I think KI looks fun to play but I don't like how the combo system works or the combo breaker / counter breaker system. Just a matter of preference but I think most of the time, if you hit confirm you should be able to do reasonable damage if you have good execution - it shouldn't always be about reads / guessing games.

I don't mind combo breaker systems in some games, spending 2 bars in MK or the burst bar in BB, and the risk reward of TAC's in MvC3 is ok. But nearly always having to mix up while you're hitting doesn't feel right to me, probably the same reason I don't really like DoA.

Also I agree with Seyavesh about the difference between long combos in Marvel and long KI combos. KI uses a structure with easy long chain/cancel combos that are easier to break, or link based combos that are harder to break, or some meter burning and short juggle combos that can't be broken (afaik). Honestly it doesn't feel like a very deep system that allows for many interesting combos. If someone made a KI combo video, people would just say "yeah you can break this x amount of times." And even having high damage counter breaker combos speaks more about the reads than the combo system exploitation, so I don't think it makes an interesting combo system to me personally. As I said it's probably fun to play tho.

T.O.P

Banned
Why would you think that? Range characters traditionally have problems against rushdown chars.

Being a Glacius player, if Sabrewulf gets you in a corner, you start to pray

Without meter getting out is pretty much impossible

Shito

edit: combo breakers are an interesting take on getting rid of exceptionally long, tedious combos but at the same time i personally find major issues with that too for a different reason mostly relating to my dislike of how it's contrary to the flow i perceive in fighting games
Yeah, I'm really not fond of combo breakers. It can happen way too often for my tastes.
I prefer the ASW take on it: bursts. You usually get 2~3 bursts per match, so you have to recognize the potentially damaging combos and learn when and when not to burst. Also, you can use this resource offensively if you so desire.
When I watch Marvel matches, I always end up telling me "why didn't he bur... oh, yeah..."; even though I know bursts are not suited for a 3vs3 game. ^^

The explanation that the only true "combos" in KI are 3-4 second sequences meant to maximize damage during failed combo breaker lockouts or counter breakers makes a lot of sense to me. That's where we'll see most of the optimization we're familiar with.

I think KI's staying power will depend on what "guaranteed" damage ultimately looks like in that game. As much effort as they put into designing the breaker system it's one of those things that seems like it would be exploited by finding ways to circumvent it instead of maximizing possible mindgames. I imagine short strings that put the opponent into standing resets would ultimately be more effective than actually comboing, because they can't be broken.

def sim

Saberwulf
Sadira
Glacius
Orchid
Thunder

Interesting stuff. Did he post his thoughts around that list?

Yikes. I hope you get your stick. I got the email from them tonight, but it lists the two games and the stick. UPS just got it as well, so it says it'll get here by Thursday. Fingers crossed.

My package is also coming on Thursday. It weights 10 pounds according to UPS, so either they sent me a rock with 2 games or my stick. I hope is the former.

Shito

I imagine short strings that put the opponent into standing resets would ultimately be more effective than actually comboing, because they can't be broken.
Those strings can be broken as well.
The only thing you can't break are juggles and throws (and ultra, obviously), apart from that every single hit can be broken. Even shadow moves.

CPS2

Those strings can be broken as well.
The only thing you can't break are juggles and throws (and ultra, obviously), apart from that every single hit can be broken. Even shadow moves.

I think openers can't be broken?

alstein

If Cammy got buffs, I'd like to see her Spin Knuckle and Hooligan buffed.

Top Bottom