• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suda 51 "wasn't expecting that Wii would be ... targeted only for non-gamers"

jts

...hate me...
TheDuce22 said:
Is anyone honestly happy with their Wii? Mine just sits there collecting dust. Its the worst Nintendo console ive ever owned.
No, i'm stupid enough to keep a console i don't like or use knowing that there are people who would give me good money for it. I'm just like that.

farnham

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Famitsu readership makes up a small segment of the hardcore market.
And Suda isn't exactly the most popular dev over here. I think the game will sell a lot better in the American market.
i think it COULD sell about 100k... its a niche title but january and february looks pretty much blank in terms of new releases.. no more heroes could be the next hardcore game to go.. if it gets good reviews

Jokeropia

onemic said:
But the substantial wii games are always first party, not third.
Mario and Sonic, Guitar Hero, Rayman, Resident Evil, Red Steel. Most of the substantial games are from Nintendo, simply because Nintendo have provided most of the substantial support.
Warm Machine said:
I believe in the..."right game for the right system equals sales" but what the issue here is, is that he built a hardcore gamers game and it has gotten ignored. Which proves the point that the Wii isn't the place for that sort of game. Possibly too for games of similar ilk which has a lot of bleed.
He made five hardcore games for the PS2 and they all bombed. (Most worse than No More Heroes.) Clearly the PS2 is not the place for hardcore games.

SolidSnakex said:
So I did a quick search.

001.jpg
;_: That pic makes me so sad. I just want to give my wallet to them. Just one more week to go.

ninj4junpei said:
;_: That pic makes me so sad. I just want to give my wallet to them. Just one more week to go.
I know, it really makes you feel for the guy. It's like the kid who invited everyone to his birthday party and nobody came.

Gigglepoo

ninj4junpei said:

Eh, there is no way I'm going to just toss my wallet to Suda after the abysmal Contact. I blame him for wasting my time and money!

...i still want No More Heroes, though...

I'll probably wait until it's $10, like I did with Killer 7. His games don't exactly have mainstream appeal.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Gigglepoo said:
I'll probably wait until it's $10, like I did with Killer 7. His games don't exactly have mainstream appeal.

So, you're going to wait until it's $10... because his games don't have "mainstream appeal."

Huh.

Gigglepoo

Crushed said:

So, you're going to wait until it's $10... because his games don't have "mainstream appeal."

Huh.

I assume it will drop in price quickly because it won't do well at retail. I waited just a few months for Killer 7 and bought it dirt cheap. I will do the same with No More Heroes. $50 is a lot of money for a game, I'd rather wait a few months and get it cheaper.

Kosma

Banned
Damn seeing that pic :( I'd even pick up a copy if I walked by there and I don't own a Wii anymore, just for Suda's effort.

Cheerilee

jarrod said:
That's not true at all, DS was initially offered as a 3rd dynamic system, almost entirely separate from the GBA line.
But when the numbers said that the DS had replaced the GBA as the next GameBoy in Japan, and not in America, Iwata ordered NOA to cut the GBA's throat. The third pillar idea was just a safety net in case the DS failed.

Iwata did Wii the same courtesy by killing off the GameCube, but he launched Wii three or four years too late to have any positive effect. Then Kutaragi did him the unexpected favor of sacrificing the PlayStation, but Wii still hasn't become what it could be. I think Wii just isn't following the same dual path as the DS. Wii being made for hardcore gamers is the same lip service as the GBA's continued existence.

Redd

ninj4junpei said:

I can't get over that pic. Tomorrow i'm going to gamestop and pre-ordering No More Heroes. Have to go there to see if they have Suikoden 5 anyway so let me help you out Suda.

TheDuce22 said:
Is anyone honestly happy with their Wii? Mine just sits there collecting dust. Its the worst Nintendo console ive ever owned.

Most people.

You are in the meaningless minority.

Kinda like GAF itself.

Gigglepoo

PataHikari said:
Most people.

You are in the meaningless minority.

Kinda like GAF itself.

Most people don't play games every day or even multiple times a week. Heck, I'm pretty happy with my Wii and haven't played it since Mario Galaxy. It's all based on expectations. Or, in my case, adjusted expectations.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
there goes the one developer who made a wii game because he wanted to

i've got nmh preordered -- if it's any good, he's welcome to Jump In

Ummm...yeah?

It not only has my second favourite game of all time (Super Mario Galaxy), it has two more games in my top 10 of all time (Resident Evil 4 and Twilight Princess), it also has the incredibly awesome Metroid Prime 3, as well as terrific games like Guitar Hero III, Wii Sports, Medal of Honour Heroes 2, Zack and Fuckin' Wiki and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, along others.

Bebpo

Banned
JJConrad said:
13k the first week and unknown since. K7 eventually eeked out 28k on the PS2 and about another 12k on the GCN, but that was with little, unknown Capcom publishing..... Marvelous is so much bigger, there really shouldn't be any comparison. Unfortunately, it'll be August before we ever know what NMH's sales reached.... and we can start this thread all over again.

Wait, there was this sales-age meme in this thread about how Suda can't talk shit about Wii because NMH outsold K7.

Now we know it didn't outsell K7 first week (PS2+GC) and you're saying we have no data following that? So what's going on here...

Lobster

Banned
Suda can't really develop anywhere imo..

His games bomb on
-Ps2
-GC
-NDS
-Wii

If his games bomb on NDS and Ps2 its not like 360/Ps3 is going to help him.

drohne said:
there goes the one developer who made a wii game because he wanted to

Watch as his next game is also for the Wii.

And really people, this guy makes extremely niche games, and this was the bestselling game in Japan he's made anyways.

I think he had too high expectations for it, and judging by most of the posts in this thread, lots of other people did too.

Bebpo

Banned
PataHikari said:
Watch as his next game is also for the Wii.

And really people, this guy makes extremely niche games, and this was the bestselling game in Japan he's made anyways.

I think he had too high expectations for it, and judging by most of the posts in this thread, lots of other people did too.

Again!

Someone explain what is going on...

botticus

Bebpo said:
Again!

Someone explain what is going on...
My searching skills are failing, so someone with the data will have to tackle that one. I want to say it was his highest opening week, therefore we will assume until more data is available that it will sell more than his previous games.

Bebpo

Banned
botticus said:
My searching skills are failing, so someone with the data will have to tackle that one. I want to say it was his highest opening week, therefore we will assume until more data is available that it will sell more than his previous games.

I'm pretty sure it's not his highest opening week though. Killer 7 was around 15 or 19k with PS2+GC and NMH was 13k?

Anyhow, the numbers are so close it's just safe to say they both bombed and NMH did not manage to improve Suda's game selling abilities in Japan.

M3d10n

Seriously, Nintendo should start following Microsoft's steps and delivering some advertising to people's Wiis. That's one the the key factors behind the excellent software performance on the 360.

They could sell ad space on the preview channel for developers and have a opt-out newsletter with the lastest releases through the message board.

From my software data I put together a Suda 51 group. If there are any I missed that you can find listed say so. I know there are more he worked on, but either they've got funky names in the database or they didn't chart.
MisterHero said:
I don't know about saying Nintendo's the only one that does well, not every Nintendo game sells. Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 3?
Even with Nintendo's oppressive casual-only direction on the system, somehow the publisher of Fire Emblem managed to find success on Wii and outsell the previous-generation FE.
Rancid Mildew said:
The biggest success in the history of Nintendo's video game systems will be the DS and it wouldn't surprise me if it beat out the PS2 in end. I don't think the DS would have been nearly as successful if Nintendo forgot the hardcore gamer from the get go.
But, from the get-go, DS's biggest "core" games were Super Mario 64 and WarioWare; both of which were also available on Wii day one.
jarrod said:
DS isn't free of eye raising misfires though... just look at Rockman EXE.5 DT, Front Mission 1st, Biohazard DS, Luminous Arc, Contact, Tengai Makyo II, Rub Rabbits, Xenosaga I&II, Dig-Dug DS, Pac-n-Roll, Musou DS, etc. The margins are likely a bit lower (for development, not production) but it's not like everything sticks... and it was similarly barren in terms of 3rd party success stories it's first year.
Except for that core hit Tamagotchi.

Surreal

This game looks abso-freakin' awesome. Really sweet style, fun laid back gameplay, makes me want to buy a Wii really bad. Keep making cool games like this Suda.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
_Alkaline_ said:
I think most of GAF should refuse to let themselves talk about sales EVER AGAIN.

I would honestly love to see all sales talk banned from GAF for a month to see what would happen.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
From my software data I put together a Suda 51 group. If there are any I missed that you can find listed say so.

Have you considered adding the new games that debut outside of the Top 30? That's where No More Heroes debuted, which would be why it isn't on your list. Most of the games that debut outside of the Top 30 won't be on the yearly Top 500 chart.

Tenbatsu

Actually which ever system he developed NMH for it still wont sell too well unless its the DS. 360, it will bomb as usual, PS3, sales will be lower than Wii. Whats more, development cost will be alot higher for those 2 consoles and I dont think Marvelous will want that.

Mashing

sp0rsk said:
Famitsu readership makes up a small segment of the hardcore market.
And Suda isn't exactly the most popular dev over here. I think the game will sell a lot better in the American market.

I think it was a mistake to put the voices in english for the japanese version. That had to turn some people off.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Kintaro said:
I would honestly love to see all sales talk banned from GAF for a month to see what would happen.

You can count me out then. I can go anywhere for fanboi warz and miscellany media.

Bebpo

Banned
Mashing said:
I think it was a mistake to put the voices in english for the japanese version. That had to turn some people off.

Well Killer 7 was the same thing. He wants his games to feel like English movies.

maladroid

Gigglepoo said:
I assume it will drop in price quickly because it won't do well at retail. I waited just a few months for Killer 7 and bought it dirt cheap. I will do the same with No More Heroes. $50 is a lot of money for a game, I'd rather wait a few months and get it cheaper.

Chicken and the egg.

Innotech

Banned
fuck waiting. If you want the game to fail, and not see more of this type of game, and be stuck with casual titles only, thats your prerogative. but I am gonna BUY THIS GAME.

Top Bottom