• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2013

Pikma

Banned
The Starship Damrey turned out to be a really good game. Sadly I'm already stuck, I just suck at this kind of games. But the atmosphere is SO good.
I have to agree, and not only on the atmosphere!

Hint: I suck at them too
Edit: sorry for the double post -_-

L~A

The Starship Damrey turned out to be a really good game. Sadly I'm already stuck, I just suck at this kind of games. But the atmosphere is SO good.

He he, I think I know where you're stuck :)

So I finally got around to opening up the FE 3DS (yeah 6+ months late, heh). I don't want to do a transfer since I'll use it mainly for Animal Crossing and other non-button wearing games like Fire Emblem.

Can you link two 3DS to a Club Nintendo account (for point redeeming)?

Can you link two 3DS to a Miiverse account (I haven't created one yet btw)? Even if it's possible, purchases are still tied to the 3DS, right? I was thinking of getting Attack of the Friday Monsters to it, but then I'd have to redeem a $20 card (since int'l credit cards are blocked on the US e-shop). If I could share the balance between the two 3DS' that'd be ideal, but is it possible?

1) you CAN link 2 3DS to the same Club Nintendo account.
2) you CAN'T link a NNID on 2 3DS. Which means you can only access Miiverse on 1 3DS, unless you make another ID for the 2nd 3DS.

D-e-f-

Banned
And which attitude would that be?

let me guess:

"Oh c'mon N, where are the christmas deals and sales!?"

Wii U
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams €12.99 (£10.00) until 26/12/13, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €14.99 (£12.99)
Toki Tori 2 +€8.99 (£7.79) until 02/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €14.99 (£12.99)
Toki Tori €1.99 (£1.79) until 02/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €3.99 (£3.59)
Little Inferno €4.99 (£4.49) until 02/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €9.99 (£8.99)
Kung Fu Rabbit €1.99 (£1.79) until 02/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €4.99 (£4.49)
Puddle €3.99 (£3.59) until 02/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €9.99 (£8.99)
TNT Racers €4.99 (£4.49) until 02/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €7.99 (£6.99)
Star Wars Pinball €4.99 (£3.99) until 02/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €9.99 (£7.99)
Zen Pinball 2: Multi-table packs €4.99 (£3.99) until 02/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €9.99 (£7.99)
Zen Pinball 2 : Single-table packs €1.49 (£1.19) until 02/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €2.99 (£2.39)
Nano Assault Neo €7.99 (£6.99) until 05/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €9.99 (£8.99)

3DS
Rising Board 3D €1.49 (£1.29) until 02/01/14, 23:59 local time - Regular price is €1.99 (£1.79)
Art of Balance TOUCH! €5.99 (£5.45) until 02/01/14, 23:59 local time - Regular price is €6.99 (£6.29)
Mutant Mudds €4.49 (£4.00) until 02/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €8.99 (£8.09)
Sweet Memories Blackjack €2.99 (£2.69) until 09/01/14, 23:59 local time - Regular price is €3.99 (£3.59)
Brunch Panic €2.99 (£2.69) until 09/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €3.99 (£3.59)
Swords & Soldiers 3D €4.99 (£4.49) until 09/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €6.99 (£6.29)
WAKEDAS €1.99 (£1.79) until 09/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €2.99 (£2.69)
Witch & Hero €1.99 (£1.79) until 09/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €3.99 (£3.59)
World Conqueror 3D €3.99 (£3.59) until 09/01/14, 23:59 UTC - Regular price is €4.99 (£4.29)
Real Heroes: Firefighter 3D Download Version €4.99 (£4.49) until 30/01/14, 23:59 local time - Regular price is €9.99 (£8.99)

"Oh c'mon nothing worth it, where is...[usually METROID for everything ;p]

Thank you very much, I could try it out at that price

Yes, this pretty much. Plus the "it's trash because not cheap enough!!"

I already know someone will pull the idiotic defense force card again and claim I'm saying everything is peachy and they can shove that right where the sun don't shine.

Glass Rebel

I can only talk about the 3DS but if it weren't for the Level-5 sale I'd be very disappointed. Aside from Art of Balance and Mutant Mudds (which I didn't like) it's just really unexciting stuff and worst of all, no Nintendo game whatsoever.

D-e-f-

Banned
There's a difference between not being interested in what's offered and losing one's shit because the sales are "trash."

GeekyDad

I can only talk about the 3DS but if it weren't for the Level-5 sale I'd be very disappointed. Aside from Art of Balance and Mutant Mudds (which I didn't like) it's just really unexciting stuff and worst of all, no Nintendo game whatsoever.

Yeah, I can't stress enough that anyone who hasn't yet nabbed Crimson Shroud really needs to do so while it's on sale. Best $5 I've spent in...I don't know when.

Can't connect to the eshop on the 3DS. Keep getting error 005 4240. Anyone else having issues? The status page says it is up and running. Wanted to add this eShop card and grab some of the sale titles...

Glass Rebel

There's a difference between not being interested in what's offered and losing one's shit because the sales are "trash."

I don't think anybody is "losing their shit". It's fairly easy to be disappointed in Nintendo's handling of the eShop, especially if you consider what the competition is doing. It's quite frankly the worst among the relevant stores.

GeekyDad

I don't think anybody is "losing their shit". It's fairly easy to be disappointed in Nintendo's handling of the eShop, especially if you consider what the competition is doing. It's quite frankly the worst among the relevant stores.

Eh...I don't know if I agree with that completely. I will say I'm less than completely satisfied with eShop and wish it were more like Steam in terms of its account system and iOS in terms of its sales, but objectively, I look at Nintendo's handling of their online service, and it seems like they're going at a speed that suits the niche they're so desperately clinging to. That doesn't cater to me (or most of us perhaps) wholly, but it seems to be what works for them at this point in time.

Gotta give them some credit, though. At least they do have sales now. When the services first came online, there was no indication they would do anything similar to other downloadable services, and they were still using the refrigerator mindset. They're a "baby steps" kinda company in some respects. At least they're walking now.

Katsuragi

I wonder if we end up hearing about GBA & N64 VC games tomorrow. I think we'll get at least an announcement ("GBA & N64 are coming in early 2014"). Interestingly, there are no Wii U VC games scheduled for this week. This could also imply that they plan to release something directly after the Nintendo Direct stream (which happened with Mega Man 1-4, for example). My guess would be Super Mario Bros. 3. Additionally, I think they are going to talk about the next Wii Sports Club game (probably Golf). And there's the slim chance that Bayonetta 1 will be announced for early 2014, too.

Yeah, I can't stress enough that anyone who hasn't yet nabbed Crimson Shroud really needs to do so while it's on sale. Best $5 I've spent in...I don't know when.

Lots of people love Crimson shroud. I found it good until I was stuck in the cave, having to kill skeletons in a certain order in order to drop stuff to allow to pass through a confessionnal. More or less. The damned thing never dropped. I killed them at least 14 times. I am not kidding. So IMO, this game is really stupid. This particular idea of game design totaly ruined the game for me...

Tenki

Ok, so tomorrow there's a Nintendo Direct. Could this be related to the lack of Wii U VC games this week? Maybe a surprise announcement tomorrow?

Glass Rebel

Eh...I don't know if I agree with that completely. I will say I'm less than completely satisfied with eShop and wish it were more like Steam in terms of its account system and iOS in terms of its sales, but objectively, I look at Nintendo's handling of their online service, and it seems like they're going at a speed that suits the niche they're so desperately clinging to. That doesn't cater to me (or most of us perhaps) wholly, but it seems to be what works for them at this point in time.

Gotta give them some credit, though. At least they do have sales now. When the services first came online, there was no indication they would do anything similar to other downloadable services, and they were still using the refrigerator mindset. They're a "baby steps" kinda company in some respects. At least they're walking now.

As much as Nintendo wants it to, they don't exist in a vacuum and comparisons to other shops are going to be made. It's the same with Origin and the comparisons to Steam. The eShop will be judged by the standards of 2013, not 2005.

D-e-f-

Banned
As much as Nintendo wants it to, they don't exist in a vacuum and comparisons to other shops are going to be made. It's the same with Origin and the comparisons to Steam. The eShop will be judged by the standards of 2013, not 2005.

But what's the criteria? How low third party publishers are willing to go with their prices when they decide to do sales?

GeekyDad

You're kinda making my point for me. They don't exist in a vacuum, and Steam and other comparisons don't apply, really, to Nintendo. They're catering to very different audiences. If you consider the Steam audience when criticizing Nintendo's online service, then yeah, you have a valid argument. But it would seem ridiculous for Nintendo to take that approach to marketing and product offerings, etc., etc. They're considering their audience, and again, I think they're going at the speed that's right for them. They're not trying to catch up with Steam, PSN, or XBLA; they're trying to stay in pace with their audience. Smart. It's the same reason why they continue to offer the selection of games they do, rather than conforming to some notion they should grow with their audience. Nope. They do a certain selection of games well, and more and more kids (and grown-ups) flock to their products and services.

Glass Rebel

But what's the criteria? How low third party publishers are willing to go with their prices when they decide to do sales?

My personal criteria? From the perspective of a consumer?

Frequency

How often are there sales? This is obvious and I do think Nintendo has sales relatively often. Not as often as Steam, obviously, but the eShop has had its fair share of sales in the 8 months I've owned a 3DS.

Promotion and visibility

When there's a sale on Steam or even Xbox Live it's like an event. When there's a sale on the eShop it's like someone letting off a wet fart in the woods and a handful of people noticing. I think they do a terrible job at it and it has also to do with how their store interface is set up.

Range of titles on sale

It's probably too much to expect a store-wide sale like Steam or even the crazy stuff that happens on iOS and Google Play but look at last years XBL sale. There's a wide range of games from indie stuff to retail releases like Skyrim, Modern Warfare, Red Dead Redemption. For consoles this is pretty damn great. Same goes for Sony.

Savings and price curves

Less money spent is obviously better for the consumer but it's a bit more complex than that. It's to be expected that older titles should (generally) see sharper sales and that their regular price should also drop over time. I haven't really looked at general trends on the eShop so I won't comment on it. I have seen many titles have their regular price reduced, which is a good thing.

However, in the case of Nintendo, who is not only the platform holder but also provides a sizeable chunk of the software available for both of their devices, it's pretty bad. They are extremely reluctant to put their own software on sale or even reduce their regular price over time. It's ridiculous that games from the 3DS' first year are still full priced on the eShop.

You're kinda making my point for me. They don't exist in a vacuum, and Steam and other comparisons don't apply, really, to Nintendo. They're catering to very different audiences. If you consider the Steam audience when criticizing Nintendo's online service, then yeah, you have a valid argument. But it would seem ridiculous for Nintendo to take that approach to marketing and product offerings, etc., etc. They're considering their audience, and again, I think they're going at the speed that's right for them. They're not trying to catch up with Steam, PSN, or XBLA; they're trying to stay in pace with their audience. Smart. It's the same reason why they continue to offer the selection of games they do, rather than conforming to some notion they should grow with their audience. Nope. They do a certain selection of games well, and more and more kids (and grown-ups) flock to their products and services.

Maybe it's smart, maybe it's not. Fact is, other companies have been doing this for much longer than Nintendo has and attractive sales have shown to not only drive new consumers to your platform but also breathe fresh life into legacy titles. I don't know if Nintendo's approach is working for them or not but when I can get retail games for less than half the eShop price, I'm not going to think twice.

I don't really get people bitching about the e-Shop. Certainly I prefer it to both XBLA (360) and PSN (PS3). I find it really simple to navigate and if, for example, I want to find out what is on sale, I go to the 'On Sale' icon. Maybe I'm oversimplifying things but I find it really simple to use and really easy to find what I want.

GeekyDad

Maybe it's smart, maybe it's not. Fact is, other companies have been doing this for much longer than Nintendo has and attractive sales have shown to not only drive new consumers to your platform but also breathe fresh life into legacy titles. I don't know if Nintendo's approach is working for them or not but when I can get retail games for less than half the eShop price, I'm not going to think twice.

Well, think of like this: Would you want to attract a biker gang to a fine-dining restaurant with an award-winning chef? Like I said, their audience is their biggest consideration.

But I'll leave you with this: Nintendo ain't hurtin', so they must be doing something right.

Come on Nintendo, announce Mario 3 release date for Wii U and 3DS and if have your NNID's linked and you purchase one you get the other.... for the upgrade discount price.

Meeting you in the middle here Nintendo, come on. >_>

Lots of people love Crimson shroud. I found it good until I was stuck in the cave, having to kill skeletons in a certain order in order to drop stuff to allow to pass through a confessionnal. More or less. The damned thing never dropped. I killed them at least 14 times. I am not kidding. So IMO, this game is really stupid. This particular idea of game design totaly ruined the game for me...

I'm loving the game overall, but this particular design decision just completely boggled me, especially since there's no real way to tell that you're supposed to do that without looking it up.

let me guess:

"Oh c'mon N, where are the christmas deals and sales!?"

20-40% off stuff that's gonna be 60-90% off on other platforms during their Xmas deals is not a real sale. :p

Like I said, their audience is their biggest consideration.

Nintendo's target audience are people who hate buying things and don't like saving money?

But I'll leave you with this: Nintendo ain't hurtin', so they must be doing something right.

Errrrrrrrrrrrr.

JavyOO7

I bought guild 01 stuff a while back when it was on sale. I really liked Aeroporter but want to try Crimson Chroud... but since I'm lefty, will I have a tough time with Liberation Maiden?

Katsuragi

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, so I guess it's worth making a post about it.
As announced by Nintendo a long time ago, PC-Engine titles are headed to 3DS. Gradius (500 Yen) will be released in Japan next week. Additionally, PC-Engine & MSX games are coming to Wii U. It will get Parodius (MSX, 800 Yen) and Bonk's Adventure (PC Engine, 600 Yen). I wonder if that means we'll hear about GBA & N64 today! One can dream, right?

tolkir

Next week on VC Heaven

uxwGK.png
(Update ??:??, 12/25)

Wii U | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

hongcha

Wow, 4 VC games for JP 3DS. I think that is the first time that has happened. Let's hope they keep rolling out 4-5 every week from now on.

Tenki

I guess I'll buy Bike Rider DX. Is it any good? Gameplays look neat.

Oh, and yesterday I remembered about Tokyo Crash Mobs lol I'll buy it too.

Birathen

Ok, so tomorrow there's a Nintendo Direct. Could this be related to the lack of Wii U VC games this week? Maybe a surprise announcement tomorrow?

Its Nintendo logic. Its Xmas, people will be busy playing with their new Nintendo mahjong set. No need to release VC between now and feb 2014.

Please be N64 VC, dear Santa

L~A

I wonder if we end up hearing about GBA & N64 VC games tomorrow. I think we'll get at least an announcement ("GBA & N64 are coming in early 2014"). Interestingly, there are no Wii U VC games scheduled for this week. This could also imply that they plan to release something directly after the Nintendo Direct stream (which happened with Mega Man 1-4, for example). My guess would be Super Mario Bros. 3. Additionally, I think they are going to talk about the next Wii Sports Club game (probably Golf). And there's the slim chance that Bayonetta 1 will be announced for early 2014, too.

To be honest, I don't care about much about GBA and N64 VC (except on 3DS, I guess). What really interests me is the GC VC, but it's pretty apparent that Iwata really jumped the gun BIG TIME during the E3 2011 conference. I don't think we're ever gonna see any GC Virtual Console games on Wii U :(

Katsuragi

I'm browsing the Japanese 3DS eShop right now. They have a lot of '2013 Ranking' lists. It seems like Beril's Gunman Clive (which is called Gunman Story in Japan) was quite successful! It made it to the sixth place in the category 'eShop Ranking 2013', which lists eShop only games.

Nintendo have to manually change prices whenever there is a sale*. Its not like Steam where they flick and x% off switch (sometimes flicking the wrong one).

*-Evidence. 20% off the Denpa Men in Europe. In the UK they used the Euro numbers which meant it was more like 11% off. The only way that could happen is with manual input (this also suggests they need to do this for each country too as repetition is the only way I can see such an error being made).

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, so I guess it's worth making a post about it.
As announced by Nintendo a long time ago, PC-Engine titles are headed to 3DS. Gradius (500 Yen) will be released in Japan next week. Additionally, PC-Engine & MSX games are coming to Wii U. It will get Parodius (MSX, 800 Yen) and Bonk's Adventure (PC Engine, 600 Yen). I wonder if that means we'll hear about GBA & N64 today! One can dream, right?
I wonder who is emulating the PC Engine games. Hudson USAs demise probably put these on a back burner as I think they handled Wii VC versions (I think they used Blackbone bot Konami might have someone different in mind)

Glass Rebel

Well, think of like this: Would you want to attract a biker gang to a fine-dining restaurant with an award-winning chef? Like I said, their audience is their biggest consideration.

I think Nintendo can't be picky about their audience right now and there is no way for the biker gang to disturb their other guests either way :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
On both eShop, from what I've seen, discounts are there, definitive price reduction are there, lighting deals as well (remember MH3U?), and even some deals on first party eShop titles. However, they still lack deals on Nintendo retail titles, that's the major problem. Yep, it's mindblowing to release Nintendogs on eShop at...44.99, the same price as launch. They have to change this policy in the future.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have to agree, and not only on the atmosphere!

Hint: I suck at them too
Edit: sorry for the double post -_-
I think I have some kind of idea regarding how to proceed, but I don't know how to pull it off. I'm not going to check a guide yet, solving it myself will probably feel very satisfying!

He he, I think I know where you're stuck :)
I'm stuck at
the part where you find an alien for the first time. I have access to a couple of chemical substances, and apparently I need to create a powerful mixture I read about in some files, but there's nowhere in sight where I can mix them.

Chopper

I think I have some kind of idea regarding how to proceed, but I don't know how to pull it off. I'm not going to check a guide yet, solving it myself will probably feel very satisfying!

I'm stuck at
the part where you find an alien for the first time. I have access to a couple of chemical substances, and apparently I need to create a powerful mixture I read about in some files, but there's nowhere in sight where I can mix them.

Yes there is. It's in a stupid place though. Concentrate on your obstacle.

Hiccup

Banned
Is it me or does it seem a weird coincidence that the eShop 2 games promotion ends just before the direct begins?

Robin64

The Nintendo Direct must have a surprise.

I can't wait to play Mario 64 on the GamePad this Thursday!
(at 50hz)

Katsuragi

Wave Race 64 was translated into several European languages, so I guess we have to expect a 50hz version. :( This would kill me! The PAL version was terrible. Please do the right thing, NoE! It's not like Wave Race has a ton of text; it's a racing game!

TheZjman

Banned
So i plan on Picking up KFR at least this week, and maybe Nano Assault. Bought a £15 eShop card in prep. Love shared balances.

Sigh, Nintendo want us to pay twice for the same digital VC game released on two of their systems on the same day. Not even a deal sweetner or incentive discount.

I never expect free out of you but I thought they'd at least allow us an 'upgrade price'.

"lol you own both our systems? That's your problem buddy not ours, full price x2 please."

:|

redcrayon

Sigh, Nintendo want us to pay twice for the same digital VC game released on two of their systems on the same day. Not even a deal sweetner or incentive discount.

I never expect free out of you but I thought they'd at least allow us an 'upgrade price'.

"lol you own both our systems? That's your problem buddy not ours, full price x2 please."

:|
Technically it's half price x2 for the first week :)

Platy

Both japanese and european direct talked about a Free Super Mario Bros Deluxe with each 3DS with a Nintendo ID.

Any news about this promotion on the Americas ?

zroid

Banned
Both japanese and european direct talked about a Free Super Mario Bros Deluxe with each 3DS with a Nintendo ID.

Any news about this promotion on the Americas ?

oh is that what it was :O

I saw SMB DX on the JP stream but just assumed they were selling it normally on VC. That's cool, hope we get it too at some point.

Top Bottom