• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2013 - Voting Thread - VOTING CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just re-checked the list, and saw that Solforge was eligible, which is in far more of a beta than Hearthstone is. Why is it eligible when Hearthstone isn't?

Sometimes it's really unclear if something is in beta or not, or when the official release was. Sometimes arbitrary judgment calls have to be made. If you think Hearthstone should be eligible, make your best argument.

1. Pokemon X/Y ; This is easily the most game-changing Pokemon entry in over a decade. It introduces full 3D, trainer customization, Mega Evolutions, Fairy type, a revamped online structure, and the list goes on. Not to mention an excellent region with a massive Pokedex. Competitive battling is also the most fun it's been in a long time.

2. Super Mario 3D World ; Probably the most polished game on this list, 3D World is basically what happens when EAD Tokyo gets to do whatever they want in a Mario game. The level design is fantastic, the music is incredibly memorable, and the game constantly surprises you. Whenever you think it's over the game keeps going and continues to top itself.

3. Tales of Xillia ; Out of all the Tales games I've played, I think Xillia strikes the best balance between fun gameplay and a good story. The characters are great like usual, and the soundtrack is the best the franchise has had in a while. Xillia is definitely my favorite Tales game.

4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; While it starts out a bit too similar to A Link to the Past for my liking, as the game goes on A Link Between Worlds finds its own voice. The dungeons are fantastic and the painting mechanic is a fun gameplay tweak, but the exploration is what sticks out the most to me. Being able to explore the world at your own pace and tackle almost any dungeon in any order is a breath of fresh air, which I hope continues in future entries.

5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD ; On top of giving a nice visual upgrade, this remaster streamlines quite a bit of gameplay that slowed down the original Wind Waker. The Swift Sail, the shortened Triforce hunt, the use of the gamepad screen, and all of the streamlined animations add up to a much more fun experience. The slightly redone soundtrack is a nice surprise, too. The exploration is still great and the characters are as endearing as ever.

6. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ; While I played a decent amount of Tri, I didn't get hooked on the franchise until Ultimate came around. The number of monsters and weapons blows Tri's out of the water. Of course, the gameplay is addictive and the online co-op is amazing.

7. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix ; This was my first experience with Kingdom Hearts, and I wasn't disappointed. The combat is a lot of fun, the Disney worlds are neat, and the soundtrack is excellent. I wasn't that invested in the story, but everything else more than made up for it.

2012. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Easily my favorite JRPG, everything about the game clicked. The world is massive and incredibly memorable, and the gameplay is a lot of fun. I also loved the story and characters, not to mention the soundtrack.

1. Bioshock Infinite ; This is the first time I've ever not been able to think of a clear frontrunner for my GOTY. I have been flip flopping between Infinite and The Last of Us as for the past month or so. But then I started to think about which game had more of an impact on me, and which I will look more fondly back on 5 years from now. That's when I realized that Infinite is that game. Bioshock Infinite is the most memorable game I've played this year. It reaches emotional highs that no other game has this year for me. Oh yeah, and the flying around on the skyrails was pretty rad.

2. The Last of Us ; The Last of Us is a fantastic game. It's not the second coming, but it's the most well rounded game I've played all year. Surprisingly enough, the gameplay ended up being my favorite part, and that's saying a lot considering how great the story is. I had some issues with the way it ends, but that's only a small blemish on what is one of the best game I've played in years.

3. Grand Theft Auto 5 ; GTA 5 is the culmination of all of the progress Rockstar has made over the previous generation. None of it's parts are equal to or better than the game in which they're aping, but together they make GTA 5 one of the best open world games of the generation.

4. Saints Row 4 ; This is the most confident Saint's Row yet, not only gameplay wise but also in the story department. Volition makes writing likeable characters and snappy dialogue seem effortless. Also, this is easily the best playing Saint's Row game to date.

5. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; If you took a look at all of Revengeance's elements separately, whether it was the gameplay, story, or soundtrack, it wouldn't seem mind blowing. But, the way in which all of it's elements work together make it the best character action game I've ever played. It's also insanely dumb, in the best possible way.

6. DOTA 2 ; Dota 2 is easily the most complex multiplayer game I've ever played, but it's also the most rewarding. With over 100 heroes, every match feels different and in turn you learn something new. It's one of the few games I would describe as timeless, and just writing about it now makes me want to play another match.

7. Gone Home ; My favorite element of Gone Home is that it doesn't need to put it's characters into extreme situations to evoke emotion out of the player, almost every game on this list suffers from that. The developers know that stories in games can be infinitely more relate-able, not to mention just as interesting, if they revolve around everyday choices and the consequences they bring.

8. Metro: Last Light ; I was not expecting to enjoy Metro: Last Light half as much as I ultimately did. Metro 2033 was very flawed but unique game, and I thought Last Light would be a slightly more polished sequel that would run into similar problems. To my surprise, it's the closest thing to a new Half Life we have gotten in years.

9. Dead Space 3 ; Yes, Dead Space 3 is a disappointment coming from Dead Space 2. It regularly recycles environments, has a disappointing story, and it just feels uneven as a whole. But holy shit, does it have some fantastic gameplay.The weapon customization elements Volition added this time around almost completely overshadowed DS 3's faults for me. They also made it one of my favorite games this year.

10. Splinter Cell: Blacklist ; This is the first Splinter Cell where I actually felt like I can tackle a scenario in multiple ways, and that each way is a viable strategy. That alone makes Blacklist my favorite Splinter Cell.

I didn't want to take up a large portion of the page for my list so I summarized my thoughts on these games here. My full list is here- http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/sleeprockss/blog/2013-goty-list/104278/

Haunted

Sometimes it's really unclear if something is in beta or not, or when the official release was. Sometimes arbitrary judgment calls have to be made. If you think Hearthstone should be eligible, make your best argument.
I think the easiest argument is that this "closed" beta of Hearthstone has already had more active players than most games on the eligible list ever will. :lol Over a million people have gotten beta keys; the in-game store is open and accepting real money; all the core game modes are in; all the core cards are in; the online multiplayer is in; card ownership is permanent (there will be no more wipes) and all in all, the game is already more bug-free and polished than many of the released games this year - though it lacks that famous last layer of Blizzard perfectionism. :D

All that said, if we're talking about establishing a firm rule on official releases, the game is still technically in beta. Also, if it becomes eligible I would have to change my list, because it absolutely is one of the best 10 new games I played this year. :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I wanted to see Derrick's list too. His 2012 list was decent.

I'll say that, because I hadn't posted very much this year, there are a lot of new names in this thread that I'm not very familiar with. I know a lot of posters by username or writing style, and not necessarily their avatars, but, uh, I kinda fell behind this year (especially with the influx of many new users this year and it's now far too hard to keep up).

Believe it or not, I actually do get to learn of people based on their game of the year posts, which is why, I suppose, Riposte typically makes the suggestion to make it a user's homepage for a year. It gives me some decent insight into a poster's writing style or general tastes. The comparison lists we usually get at the end of the voting phase helps out a lot with that because sometimes I see familiar names on my list like in 2011, or I just don't like in 2012. Last year's was an anomaly and I barely matched up with anyone, so I hope this year is different.

What I'm trying to say that it's nice to be introduced to some newer posters or people I'm unfamiliar with in this manner.

Ravage

1. Tales of Xillia ; The game that entertained me most in 2013. Awesome ARPG combat married with interesting world/town design and story (which can be surprisingly dark at times). The skits were enjoyable and personally, the overall cast of Xillia > Vesperia.

2. Atelier Ayesha ; The Atelier series, at its core, is all about fun and deep crafting with open-ended gameplay and strategic time management. Ayesha continues this tradition with a fresh new setting and further refines the excellent alchemy mechanics of the Arland trilogy. Much like its predecessors, the interaction between the cast is again one of the highlights.

3. The Last of Us ; Much has been said about the game already, so i'll just sum it up with this - TLoU is a perfect marriage of engaging story-telling and exciting gameplay.

4. Ni No Kuni ; Outstanding visuals and music. The world of Ni No Kuni is so charming it's impossible not fall in love with it.

5. Soul Sacrifice ; In terms of battle system, SS is remarkably close to my ideals. Combat is fast and rooted in excellent mechanics with a wide variety of meaningful options. And it comes with an amazing lore to add flesh to the experience.

6. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX ; Excellent HD remake of an excellent game (Final Mix at last!). Dual-stick controls is a major gamechanger and the updated visuals are most welcome.

7. Atelier Meruru Plus ; My 2nd favourite game of 2012 makes it handheld debut with loads of gameplay tweaks and new content (bosses, costumes, etc). All in native Vita resolution.

8. Persona 4 Golden ; Love the new additions. Like KH1.5 and Meruru+, its placement is merely due to it being port.

9. Ys: Memories of Celceta ; The only game in my Top 10 which i have not completed (70% progress). It reflects how much i enjoyed its gameplay.

10. Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory ; Surprise of the year for me. It has a solid combat system with a great cast of characters.

x. Dragon Crown ; Wish i could spend more time with it to give a fairer assessment.
x. Beyond ; Flawed it might be, but i truly enjoyed the experience. Has a more appealing theme compared to Heavy Rain.
x. Killzone Mercenary ; It's mindboggling what Cambridge were able to accomplish with KZ Merc. An excellent handheld shooter that deserves much better sales.

Winternet

Banned
UVXH4Pt.png

1. The Last of Us ; The breadth and depth of the world and those within it is staggering from start to finish. from the exceptional visuals to the unprecedented quality of the voice acting, this is a mesmerising experience and one that will endure as likely one of the best games ever made.

Gy23D8X.jpg

2. Dota 2 ; The sky's the limit on this one. There's huge scope to improve your skills and learn new characters and roles, and when everything comes together, the competitive aspect of this game is absolutely first class.

WY01rzR.jpg

3. Metro: Last Light ; Strikingly pretty, unexpectedly thoughtful, and hugely enjoyable trip through one of the bleakest game settings ever devised.

2DvDRpi.jpg

4. Far Cry: Blood Dragon ; Four barreled, sawn off, explosive round neon shotgun.

SnLuyjn.png

5. Rayman Legends ; This game is brilliantly designed as it is awesomely beautiful.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
015dsgw.jpg

1. The Wonderful 101 ; Long has the character action genre stood true to core design tropes, flavoured with amendments and additions between games. Rarely is the genre overhauled, but that's exactly what The Wonderful 101 does. Discarding true solo avatar control for strategy-like squad and unit economy manipulation with the framework of real time combat results in a refreshingly original yet alarming deep combat system of multifaceted abilities and systems. A steep learning curve and weak tutorialisation act as a disappointingly effective roadblock for learning, but at the same time compliment a design that requires a little patience and investment to learn battle nuances truly original to the genre. The Wonderful 101 makes no sacrifices for accessibility and keeps the skill ceiling high, battle mechanics once grasped quickly evolving into something so much more. These mechanics are stretched across a lengthy campaign that rarely, if ever, resorts to encounter repetition and recycling of concepts, instead opting for relentlessly escalating scenarios and battles. The adventure rides a constant high, less peaks and valleys and more a none stop rocket launch into the stratosphere. Deliriously charming characters compliment a nonsensical plot that aims to surprise and humour from start to finish. I cannot think of another game this year that in play and presentation was so rewarding to invest in and learn, experience, and complete. It's the best game on the Wii U, Nintendo's most truly original published title in a long time, and a testament to Hideki Kamiya and his team at Platinum's commitment to not just retaining the studio's quality standard, but reinventing the genre they're so well known for.

020sskx.jpg

2. Gone Home ; Devoid of puzzles, challenge, and other typically 'gamey' elements it neither needs nor feels stripped of, Gone Home accomplishes something most of us have long been asking for from the medium - believable, human characterisation and story telling. A classic story told far better than most would expect, Gone Home manages to create virtual identities of knowingly fictional people that still feel as real, honest, and believable as you and I. Gone are typical comic book-like caricatures and exaggerated identities that are so prevalent in the medium, Fullbright having masterfully written people who talk like people, write like people, sound like people, and most importantly live like people, as evident by the shockingly homely attention to detail in the house you slowly explore. Clever drip-feed narrative exposition through exploration combined with a high standard of character writing generates a genuine empathy for this fictional family, one living in a home that is not mine yet is so real and authentic that it could be. Is Gone Home an accomplishment in the combination of deeply involved interactive agency story telling? Not necessarily. But it does manage to bring a level of maturity and humanity to writing quality that the medium arguably has never seen before. And that alone deserves praise.

03dds3p.jpg

3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; Salvaging Kojima Productions' fuckup is Platinum, making the Metal Gear ninja simulator I've long dreamed of without resorting to Metal Gear Solid 4's worn out Raiden melodrama and Gray Fox fan wank. Revengeance is distinct Metal Gear silliness dialled to 11, allowing you to live out totally insane cyborg ninja fantasies with total disregard for realism and physics. Through its buttrock soundtrack and over-the-top scenarios, including an infinitely quotable final boss, Revengeance seems totally self aware of its silliness and fully embraces it at every opportunity. Throwing a giant robot into the sky as RULES OF NATURE kicks in has a certain kind of energy to it, a life force, one that gleefully welcomes you with open arms. Length and a few balance issues need work, but Rising's samurai-like combat system, one reliant on force-against-force over traditional dodges and blocks, makes up for feelings of a title that was pushing to meet tight deadlines on a tighter budget. A game so great I'm looking forward to zandatsuing all over again in just a few days.

04awstc.jpg

4. The Last of Us ; Naughty Dog's combination of cinematic story telling and agency driven scenarios, or at least the illusion of agency, is at its best in The Last of Us than it ever was in Uncharted. The team's hauntingly believable vision of an all-too-real post apocalyptic environment spends just as much time giving you control and freedom over your encounters and progression through levels as it does enthralling you in a dark, heart warming tale of the relationships between adults and children in a horrific survival situation neither should have have to deal with. At its best, The Last of Us throws you in tense stealth encounters reminiscent of Manhunt that challenge your economising and mastery of equipment and environment strategy to lure, bait, and murder. You are the hunter, and the hunted. Working against The Last of Us is a stupidly forgiving checkpointing system that almost totally eradicates the concept of "survival horror" for encounter-based stealth, regression of the brilliant marriage of believability and "video game" mechanics into purely video game fluff (looking at you, helmeted bad guys), and various AI/performance/pop-in quirks, all of which diminish the overall experience. Nevertheless, The Last of Us is enduring and focused, setting its sights on a particular vision and sticking through right up to its brilliant ending.

05h3sy8.jpg

5. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger ; Gunslinger is what happens when a publisher reduces the funding for a particular franchise and forces an inherently creative team to work within limitations of manpower, time, and money. You end up with a game that finds creative ways to work around production limitations and provide the similarly exciting and intriguing experience as we've come to know from blockbusters. Gunslinger spends no time on gameplay fluff, dedicating itself entirely to ultra fast and immeasurably satisfying kinda run-and-gun but also kinda stop-and-pop arcade shooting that encourages players to shoot fast, accurate, and stylishly. Booming gunfire, glorious hit feedback, and the occasional perfectly timed gimmick like bullet time and bullet dodging make every encounter feel like its own little Western climax. Major props to the story team. Combining drunken reminiscing of fragmented memories with dynamically altering on-screen events was a simple stroke of genius that goes a long way in giving Gunslinger its own special identity.

06kks5v.jpg

6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; Though it makes maybe too many concessions to the tighter components 3D The Legend of Zelda games have become loved for, such as combined item puzzle solving and a proper difficulty curve, A Link Between Worlds is probably the first big step Nintendo has taken in a very long time to drastically influence the pacing and structure of a Zelda game to give the search a fresh breath of life. And it works. A snappy pacing has you rapidly moving in and out of dungeons and through the overworld(s) with rarely a moment of down time. Fragmented dungeon pacing makes them feel almost like an extension of the overworld itself, rather than checkpointed stopgaps on a new leg of the journey, both the dungeons and overworld making heavy use of simple puzzle solving to keep you stimulated and thinking. Room to grow, but great steps in the right direction from the Zelda teams.

073xsac.jpg

7. Tearaway ; Tearaway is what you'd get if instead of building a logistical, function based operating system for your new hardware you built a game exclusively as a means of utilising that hardware in all respects. Media Molecule's dedication to breaking the forth wall and making the act of playing, recognition of the player and their virtual interaction a part of the game design and presentation itself is perhaps the best the medium has seen, if not close to. Tearaway knows what it is - a charming, silly adventure of papercraft characters and baddies in a papercraft world that lives inside your Vita and you, you are the manipulator, controller, and god. As an expression of self aware interactive entertainment and what we can accomplish when we embrace the strengths and limitations of physical, peripheral tools we require to interact with these virtual worlds, Tearaway is about as good as the medium gets.

083vsby.jpg

8. BioShock Infinite ; Mistakes were made in narrative and gameplay, but as a complete package it would be stupid for me to deny how totally hooked I was by the world of Columbia, the adventure of Booker and Elizabeth, the visual identity and presentation, the pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo, and exciting combat encounters that lead you through the game. Though it's almost totally absent of anything that has come to define the 'Shock series in level/RPG design, Infinite manages to stand pretty strong as an exciting, linear first person shooter. It's not hard to find a comfortable combination of powers and weapons that have you unleashing satisfying combos and chewing through opponents, and that alone is a huge step up over the weak, bullet-sponge encounters of BioShock. It's a violent, exciting shooter with some wonderfully memorable moments in story and encounters.

09xssm6.jpg

9. Guacamelee! ; Keep it simple, stupid. Though it's a bit meme heavy from time to time, Guacamelee! embraces the Metroidvania and keeps it fucking simple. It locks in the melee-focused combat and skill system, simplistic power-ups and abilities, and constructs a tightly designed explorative dual world around them. I wasn't expecting the game to reinvent the genre, but instead just do a really fucking good job of it, and Guacamelee! does exactly that. Enjoyable combat system, responsive controls, and a great sense of pacing that keeps momentum throughout. Legitimately humorous and stylish for most part. Love the luchador theme, visual identity, and audio production.

102asvo.jpg

10. Super Mario 3D World ; It's hard to go past EAD Tokyo's creative spirit and understanding of the platforming genre, and here they once again live up to their famed reputation. When it hits its strides, 3D World embraces mostly everything that is great about the recent crop of 3D Mario games - every new level introduces some new gimmick or quirk, mechanics and challenges rarely outstay their welcome, and the entire design seems totally dedicated to providing you with a sense of satisfying platforming and fun. What prevents this being higher on my list are several design choices EAD made that I don't agree with, the biggest complaints being a button to run, diminishing of Mario's moveset, and digital, angular-like level design that could almost perfectly fit a D-Pad and seem massively regressive for what should be a posterchild for analogue control. The consistent strengths of what I imagine a 3D platformer to be, as embodied by Super Mario Galaxy 2, are too infrequent and sidelined in 3D World for me to sing too much praise. It's an excellent game. But it is not the 3D Mario I really want or adore, and a weaker game to Super Mario Galaxy 2 in almost every respect.

BY2K

Membero Americo
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; It's Zelda, you expect it to be good. It's no surprise. I was excited about this game from the moment it was revealed. A sequel to my absolute favorite game of all time? Take all of my money! I had a lot of problems with the DS games and while I like Skyward Sword, I can see its faults, so I wasn't expecting ALBW to be the greatest Zelda yet. But boy is it a close thing! This is the purest, most raw Zelda since Wind Waker and the best, in my opinion, in over a decade. No handholding, the game doesn't treat you like an idiot, like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword did. It's VERY fast paced. You get in the first dungeon in minutes. You have almost complete freedom to do the dungeons in any order, something that wasn't seen in a Zelda game since the original on NES 25 years ago. The soundtrack is phenomenal, even by Zelda's usual high standards. The only faults to this game I see is the dungeons being short and easy. Though they do have some clever puzzles.

2. The Wonderful 101 ; Now THAT was a surprise. Platinum Games, masters of character action games, making a game for Nintendo? Count me in! And hey, a new IP for Nintendo, too! It's so sad to see this game ignored or dismissed because of “faulty controls” (even if I strongly believe that whoever says that simply doesn't know how to play the game right). It's a colorful, energetic, funny Saturday morning super hero cartoon made into a video game, cheesy lines and all. But the true star of the show is its climax. The last 2 hours of The Wonderful 101 is some of the most hype, crazy, fist-bumping moments ever created for a video game. The very last Quick Time Event of the game alone justifies the mechanics' existence. Strong music, solid gameplay, over the top story and all that Platinum Games craziness, all under the polish of a Nintendo game. (Minus the camera problems.)

3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; Yeah, another Platinum Games. I just love them and this one is no exception. This game didn't even start as a Platinum game, either. When first revealed it was 100% a Kojima Production, but soon after, the game simply disappeared, believed to be stuck in development hell. A year later, it was re-revealed, having moved developer to Platinum Games, probably the best thing to happen to the game. What we finally got another 2 years after was a frantic, blazingly fast-paced, ridiculous package of a game. The story was enjoyably cheesy and the gameplay was crazy fun. Mix that with one of the best soundtracks and boss fights, including one of the best final boss of this generation, and you've got yourself a winner.

4. Super Mario 3D World ; EAD Tokyo proves once again that they are the masters of platformers. The Super Bell power-up, allowing Mario and friends to become cats, may have looked mundane at first, but it actually adds a new dimension to the already excellent platforming. The level design is once again excellent and the jazzy music is the series' best since Galaxy 2. The game may seem easy at first, even to try and get every green stars and stamps, and for the first 8 worlds, this holds true, but once you get to the post-game worlds, Super Mario 3D World drops the white gloves and presents you some of the hardest levels since Super Mario Bros. 3. The reason I put it below games like Rising and W101 is because those games exceeded my expectations. They surprised me. 3D World, I expected to be amazing, and I got what I asked for. The game is simply pure joy put on a disc.

5. Tearaway ; The game that finally made me buy a PlayStation Vita. Tearaway, from the guys that gave us Little Big Planet, had one clear goal in mind ; Using every functionality of the marvelous piece of tech. Touchscreen, rear touchpad, mic, gyrosensor, motionsensor, both cameras, EVERYTHING is used in intuitive and clever ways. Mix it with an excellent soundtrack and you got yourself a very enjoyable platformer.

Beernf

1. The Last of Us
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Guacamelee
4. Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm
5. Puzzle and Dragons
6. Tomb Raider
7. Saint's Row IV
8. Marvel Puzzle Quest Dark Reign
9. Batman Arkham Origins
10. Tearaway

Zalman

Keep in mind I have yet to play games like BioShock, Tearaway, Metal Gear Solid Rising and Tomb Raider. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those made it to my list if I had tried them in sooner, but they will have to wait. These are the games I had the most fun playing in 2013:

1. Super Mario 3D World ; It always amazes me how much creativity and variety EAD Tokyo can put into a Mario game. The fact that they've done it yet again is incredible. Everything from the aesthetics to the music is just spot on. The idea of a multiplayer 3D Mario game is finally a reality, and it turns out to be just as fun as it sounds, but that doesn't mean the game doesn't work when you're playing alone. That's the brilliance of the level design. In fact, this is definitely one of the most challenging Mario game ever. It kind of saddens me this game is on Wii U - not because it's a bad system, but because not a lot of people will get to play it. This is a game that deserves all of your attention and definitely worth buying the system for.

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; This game surprised me. I wasn't too hyped for it. In fact, I waited a few days after launch to get it. I never expected to like it as much as I did. This is coming from someone who has almost no nostalgia from A Link to the Past, since I didn't play that game much later. I am fairly confident this is my favorite Zelda of all time. They streamlined everything in a good way. The wall mechanic clicked with me instantly and made for some interesting dungeons. I could go on and on, but I won't. This game is simply amazing, and I'm a bigger Zelda fan now than ever before.

3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies ; Ace Attorney is one of my all-time favorite franchises, and the fifth game definitely lives up to the name. I was skeptical when I found out it wasn't directed by Shu Takumi, but all my fears have been laid to rest. This game introduces so many likable characters to the franchise and is a must-play for any fan of the series. While I am disappointed we don't have a physical version (at least not yet), I am very happy we at least got the game localized. It's really amazing. Also, this game has, without a doubt, my soundtrack of the year. I even imported it from Japan just to support these guys.

4. Pikmin 3 ; It was only about eight months ago I decided to delve into the world of Pikmin. I wanted to give the franchise a fair shot after neglecting it for so long. This is probably the best thing I did last year. The games are amazing, and I'm very happy to say that Pikmin 3 is the best in the series. Despite being best played with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk as the primary control scheme, this game actually made me realize the potential of the GamePad. Scrolling through these large environments with the touch screen, pointing where I want a character to go while I do something else with the other... The whole thing was such an amazing experience. It really has to be played to be believed

5. Pokémon X/Y ; I have played every single generation of Pokémon. I was there from the beginning. These games brought a lot of improvements to the table, such as a graphical overhaul and a brand new Pokémon type, which is actually a bigger deal to competitive players than some people might think. The franchise feels fresh again, much more so than Black and White. I also really like the pacing of this game - within minutes you're on your adventure without too many people interrupting you. This was never a huge problem with the franchise, but it's still nice to see. Also, you have a ton of different monsters to choose from right at the beginning which leads to some exciting possibilities early on in the game.
All of these are welcome additions. Plus, the soundtrack is also pretty great.

6. Rayman Legends ; One of the most polished platformers of all time. You can tell how much care was put into this. It is a culmination of everything that has worked in the history of the franchise. The result is a goofy little 2D platformer that rivals even Nintendo's outings. It's up there with the best. On top of that, it's absolutely packed with content. The quintessential Rayman game.

7. The Last of Us ; Naughty Dog does it again. It's no secret they are among my favorite developers of all time. I don't think they have ever made a bad game since they partnered with Sony. Everything from Crash Bandicoot to this is pure gold. The Last of Us seems like a natural progression from Uncharted, and while I'm not ashamed to admit I didn't enjoy it as much as that particular series, you would be blind if you didn't notice how outstanding this game is. It definitely deserves the spotlight.

8. Grand Theft Auto V ; What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? I'll keep this one short. This is one of the best open world experiences ever. The map is massive. Despite that, there is almost always something to do no matter where you are. It rarely feels empty. That is a big accomplishment.

9. Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon ; A sequel to a 12-year-old game! Who would have thought? This was a nice surprise when it was announced, and it's great to see that it lived up to the excitement. This game has so much personality. It's the little details, like Luigi twiddling his thumbs while riding an elevator. It really brings out his character. The folks at Next Level Games did an excellent job, and I hope the success of this game means we don't have to wait another decade for a new installment.

10. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ; Animal Crossing is without a doubt the game I sunk the most time into this year, and for that reason alone it deserves to be on my list. This is actually the first Animal Crossing game I've ever played, and I now understand why so many people told me to get the DS one back in the day. Collecting things in games has never been this addicting. I played this game every day for months, which is something I very rarely do. It's just such a nice, relaxing game that's perfect for a handheld like the 3DS.

Honorable mentions: Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, DuckTales Remastered, The Wonderful 101, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Lego City Undercover, Journey (LTTP)

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; At one point, the Legend of Zelda was my favorite game series, and a Link to the Past is still my favorite game of all time. After only somewhat enjoying Twilight Princess, forcing myself to finish Skyward Sword, and hating the two DS games, A Link Between Worlds reminded me why I loved the series so much in the first place. Phenomenal music, perfected controls, and the wall painting mechanic helped boost this game from just retreading history to redefining it.

2. BioShock Infinite ; While I have some issues with the story direction at the end, the game still provided a great experience throughout. Swinging through the air, tossing plasmids, bringing in assists through tears always helped keep the action fast and rewarding and separated the game from the over-saturated FPS market. Also have to give credit to the beautiful and fantastic art/sound design.

3. Guacamelee! ; I've been waiting for a good Metroidvania forever; I disliked Mirror of Fate, didn't really care for Aliens: Infestation, and never thought that Dust: An Elysian Tail had that same feeling of exploration. Thank god for Guacamelee! It would have been enough just to have a competent Metroid clone to get me to like it, but the developers took it the next level and made the format their own. Clever moves and upgrades litter the game, and it never feels like just a reskin of a familiar formula, but rather a complete, original package that is also a love letter to the genres it inherits from.

4. The Wonderful 101 ; Yes, the game has a lot of problems and it wouldn't have hurt the game to be a bit shorter. But for me, the good outweighed the bad and looking back at the year, it dawned on me that this was one of the most fun experiences I had. Once the serial-styled music started playing the intro mission, I knew I was in for something special and had a smile on my face throughout (when I wasn't dying).

5. Super Mario 3D World ; Another fantastic entry in the Mario series. I just wish it didn't take as long to get to the more creative and challenging levels.

6. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger ; A fast and satisfying shooter that came out of nowhere. I really hope they continue the series in this direction.

7. Tomb Raider ; I had a lot of problems with this game, but I also found myself playing it pretty much nonstop once I started it. The gameplay and controls are solid, and I think this provides a good framework for continuing the series, but hopefully they'll improve the story and increase the exploration and puzzle elements.

8. SteamWorld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt ; Another game that came out of nowhere and had me instantly hooked. You're always following a carrot on a stick to the next upgrade, but the game looks and controls well enough that it seldom gets tiring.

9. Killzone Mercenary ; I had never played a Killzone game before and was pleasantly surprised with this game. I expected a pretty standard FPS, but the inclusion of bonus stealth objectives helped increase my enjoyment and replayability. Also after being disappointed with Call of Duty and Resistance on the Vita, this feels like the definitive portable FPS.

10. StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm ; I absolutely hated where they took the story with this game; it feels like they undid everything you worked for in StarCraft II. That being said, Blizzard continues making the best RTS campaign missions, and I was constantly impressed with the different scenarios and environmental variations they came up with as the game went on. The gameplay is still as tight as ever and this would have been much higher on my list if it weren't for terrible plot.

x. Tearaway ; I really wanted to love this game more than I did. It was a solid game, I had fun, and I absolutely loved the artstyle, but I found myself bored a lot when playing and just didn't find the main game mechanics very engaging. I really hope they take it to another level if they get to work on a sequel.

x. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ; I didn't get as addicted as others, but Animal Crossing kept me busy for a solid couple of weeks. And considering that I thought I was pretty much done with the series after the DS version, that's a pretty good compliment.

1. The Last of Us ; TLOU does a great job building a world and telling its story with more subtlety than what one would normally expect from a video game. Gameplay-wise, I thought the TLOU did an excellent job balancing stealth and action.

2. Bioshock Infinite ; although heavily criticized for its repetitive gunplay, I thought BI was an immersive and engaging experience.

3. Tomb Raider 2013 ; gameplay mechanics and 3rd person gunplay was top-notch. Personally, I thought this game had the best usage of cover-based shooting yet.

4. Fire Emblem Awakening ; FE:A was part tactical RPG, part waifu-quest, and all awesome. Fun and addicting, even if breeding anime characters to produce offsprings with the best traits seemed... wrong.

5. Saints Row IV ; SR4 did a really good job implementing super powers into an open world game, and the wacky humor and numerous references made this a really fun game.

6. Dota 2 ; officially released this year, so I'm counting it here. I do't play a lot of multiplayer games, but I've put in over 200 hours into Dota 2 since its release. The absolute best MOBA game on the market.

7. Pokemon X/Y ; catching and raising P8okemon is as addictive as ever. Lack of a meaningful end-game and any way to adjust the campaign difficulty drags it down a bit.

8. Metal Gear Rising ; as crazy and over the top as one would expect from Platinum, and just as much fun.

9. Batman Arkham Origins ; a mediocre Batman is still Batman. Not as good as the Rocksteady Batman games, but still a fun time.

10. Splinter Cell Blacklist ; this game really should have been better than what we got. Predictable enemies and terrible gameplay mechanics in the 2nd half of the game marred what would've otherwise been a return to form for Splinter Cell.

2012. Gravity Rush ; fun and charming game. Zipping around the city by manipulating gravity is a lot of fun. Hoping for a sequel that introduces more interesting combat.

Mooreberg

01. The Last of Us; I loved pretty much every moment of this game.
02. Grand Theft Auto IV; My favorite 3D GTA game.
03. Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag; An interesting story and tons of fun activities.
04. Gunpoint; A very fun puzzle game with an excellent soundtrack.
05. Riptide GP2; The first mobile racing game I've played that felt like it was console quality.

iNvid02

looks like derrick pmd a bunch of people his list then

he must have really wanted everyone to know how much he enjoyed black flag

kamspy

1. Metro Last Light
2. Crysis 3
3. Bioshock Infinite
4. Assassin's Creed IV
5. Battlefield 4
6. Call of Juarez Gunslinger
7. DmC
8. Resident Evil 6 PC
9. Payday 2
10. Splinter Cell Blacklist

Riposte

Man, I hate that feeling when my descriptions are anywhere from 30 to 100 words longer than I want them to be. It's tough trying to stick to a single paragraph.

1. The Last of Us ; Tough call, but it had no low sections and it was well paced through the whole game.
2. GTA V ; I never thought a GTA wouldn't be my #1, but the story wasn't quite great as I thought. The World, Mechanics and Gameplay were great.
3. Bioshock Infinite ; I had the best beginning besides TLOU. Solid gameplay and a great story
4. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen ; Great RPG!
5. Civilization V: Brave New World; It makes the Game so perfect. Love it!
6. Battlefield 4 ; Just for the MP!
7. FIFA 14 ; Every the same...a good solid game!
2012. FarCry 3; I liked the Ubi-Nonsense Stuff.

Haunted

Nice banners, Eatchildren. :)

Shame Revengeance PC won't come out in time, I see it appearing on quite a few lists.

1. Pikmin 3 (Wii U) ; I never played Pikmin 1 or 2 and didn’t really know anything about the game until my wife secretly bought me Pikmin 3 as a gift. After receiving my present, work made me travel away, leaving my wife alone to play the game to her heart’s content. Upon returning home a week later I found her constantly raving about how unique this Pikmin 3 game was and how she had already conquered every course. With her increasing pressure to try it, I finally did and was immediately introduced to one of the most charmingly sensitive worlds I have ever seen in a video game. But what really hooked me right away was the increasingly insane strategic play that was required to stay alive and I found myself forming a strong bond with the creatures far more than in other games.

I won’t lie, Pikmin 3 can be extremely frustrating and at times I didn’t want to continue playing. On one particularly difficult puzzle I became so angry that I decided to throw all my Pikmin into the water and watch them drown. After only playing the game for about 3 days my impatience decided that it was not for me and this was how the story should end. After the genocide I went to bed but felt strangely guilty about what just occurred, watching those poor Pikmin whimper and drown. For some reason, this video game made me feel compassion for its characters, which is very rare for me in any form of entertainment. The next day, I decided to continue the game without replaying the previous level, making my angry and violent outburst a permanent part of my Pikmin experience.

Now a few months later, I still think about how joyous and connected I was in Pikmin 3’s world and story, most of which I created in my own head. It is rare for video games to do that to me but this one is what I would consider a must play for gamers who are looking for a thoughtful experience in every category of making a game: from story, to concept, to design, to complex mechanics. I know a lot of people hate the Wii U but every person I let play Pikmin 3, whether be a hardcore gamer or a casual Wii owner, loves it. A lot of people question the legitimacy of the gamepad, a concept I thought was already proven with last year’s Zombie U. Now, even more so, I had to setup the gamepad as a side device in order to solve the levels. And before every mission, I would set up my ‘command center’ to get ready for the day’s work. I felt like I was doing more then just laying back and playing a video game. I was planning, strategizing, and setting my conditions before even playing the game. I believe out of all the games I played in 2013, Pikmin 3 celebrates why being a gamer is such a unique hobby and why playing video games can be a great outlet, not for just telling a story that evokes emotions but also for letting the audience build and decide the fates of the characters they are controlling. And that is why Pikmin 3 is my 2013 game of the year.

2. The Last of Us (PS3) ; I spent a good time looking at my list, debating if this should be my number one. I enjoyed many intimate moments of the game, especially watching the arcs between Joel and Ellie grow. The graphics, atmosphere, and story are all amazing but oddly enough, I didn’t enjoy playing The Last of Us. ‘Linear Sneakers’ are normally not that entertaining to me and at first I rolled my eyes at the ‘zombie’ treatment the game’s premise relied on. Yet with all those personal shortfalls, this game still makes me smile when thinking about the end because the payoff after a long journey concluded in a way I didn’t expect. The more I think about Joel’s reasons for his decision make the game feel super satisfying because it shows how simple the story really is despite being set in a very complex world, which is rare in video games.

3. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) ; Hilariously fun! This is what happens when you put perfected game design in the hands of a group of close friends who are also serious and competent gamers. During Thanksgiving, my best friend with my brother and I played this game till all hours of night, laughing the whole way. The fun this game offers reminds me of old classic couch gaming that I have not felt in such a long time. Critics might be quick to judge that the multiplayer component is similar in its degrading chaos that other Mario 2D adventures has but this game is different. If you play with trusted agents and not your Grandma, you can have a lot of fun that isn’t based on being overly frustrated. The game starts out incredibly easy but by the last world, you’re gonna need some hardcore gaming pals! And there is nothing funnier to me than at three in morning, after our entire party has succumbed to Bowser’s minions in an insanely brutal level, to watch ‘Toad the Loan Survivor’ attempt a jump for a finishing flag only to fall miles short and plummet to his death while every one on the couch reacts in horror.

4. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3) ; Disclaimer ; I didn’t actually play Ni No Kuni but practically watched every second of my wife play through the entire game. The fun feeling of exploring through a really long Studio Ghilbi movie transfixed me and I was also very impressed by how difficult the game became. There were also some other neat ideas scattered through the game like solving the Wizards riddles which were great and reminded me of some good old fashion puzzle solving.

5. Lego City Undercover (Wii U) ; Am I the only person who played this game? It’s so funny and best yet; the entire world feels worthy of exploration. You can smash and interact with almost everything you see and in the end; it may have also ruined my opinion on Grand Theft Auto V because that world, as detailed as it was, encouraged me to explore the story more than the world it was set in. Lego City Undercover is exactly what I want out of an open world game because it feels completely based on rewarding the player for exploration. If you have a Wii U and are looking for a fun game that will give you countless hours of entertainment, this is a good choice. You will not be disappointed.

6. Paper’s Please (PC) ; I just got this game last month and find myself constantly turning it on for ‘just a few minutes.’ Paper’s Please is a good example of a unique gaming mechanic married to a story that actually fits the reasons of why you are doing things. I find it challenging and incredibly addicting.

7. DMC : Devil May Cry (PC) ; Never played the other ‘Devil May Cry’ games and I don’t typically enjoy endless action games but this one has just blown me away. Graphically, it was my favorite game to just look at in 2013 and some of the level designs are so intense I had to show friends who aren’t even gamers. Ninja Theory has been one of my favorite studios this generation with ‘Heavenly Sword’ and ‘Enslaved’ but DMC is by far their best work yet. * The ‘Bob Barbass’ Boss fight was probably one of the more exceptionally rare moments I witnessed in video games within the last few years.

8. Wonderful 101 (Wii U) ; Many games this year did exactly what The Wonderful 101 did to me. They started out so amazing and unique that I was 100% certain that they were going to be my number 1 game of the year. Unfortunately, after playing over 5 hours or so, the games became repetitive, dull, and worst of all, boring. Although The Wonderful 101’s thrill lasted a little longer for me, in the end I became very frustrated with how repetitive the game was. This was the first time in ages that I can actually remember skipping cut scenes as fast as possible just so I could get to the end. However, the sour taste the game left me after completing it still can’t compare to how much fun and fresh it felt for its first initial introduction. Not for everyone but certainly worth a look.

9. Bioshock Infinite (PC) ; Started amazing. Ended … well, it ended that’s for sure. I championed the initial Bioshock but never played it’s sequel and was not too interested to play this until a buddy shrugged a hesitant endorsement. Honestly, this game showcases everything that is great and awful about video games at the exact same time. The world of Columbia is so well realized that I thought the characters were about to really drop into some extra sensitive topics that get rarely discussed. Yet somewhere in the middle, I literally had no idea what was going on. Needless to say, the ending did not help me understand the reason for wanting to reach the climax any better. Bioshock Infinite is a shockingly beautiful game but another prime example of a game that I feel was written as it was designed. I would still recommend for its scenic atmosphere and fun combat.

10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U) ; So my number ten game this year could have been a few other choices because I was fortunate enough to play many games this year. If I would have filled out this list a week ago, Grand Theft Auto V, Runner 2, Tomb Raider, or even NES Remix could have been in this spot but that all changed when I got The Wind Waker HD for Christmas. I did not play the original and haven’t even come close to liking any Zelda game after Majora’s Mask. But after just going on a five-day binge where I poured 46 hours and 32 minutes into this game there is no way it could not be on my list. The only reason it is not higher is because it is a remake and wanted to be fair to the spirit of this list. All in all, the Wind Waker is a real gem that should not be missed by any gamer. Nintendo is able to create world’s that I just love roaming around in and this game might be their finest in that regards. Towards the end I did use the swift sail to my advantage but for a while I simply enjoyed slowly sailing around the world, stopping by whatever distraction caught my attention on the horizon. Playing this game for the last few days has been the closest thing I have felt to reminding me of the fun I had during Skyrim. Of course, that is amazing to me because the Wind Waker was made over a decade ago.

1. The Last of Us ; An outstanding game, possibly the game of the generation.
2. Grand Theft Auto V ; The biggest surprise this year, especially after the hot pile of shit GTA IV
3. Gran Turismo 6 ; I really didnt think I would enjoy this as much as a I did coming off GT5, but man, they really hit the nail on the head this time around.
4. Resogun ; So much fun, I feel guilty having got it for free.
5. Tearaway ; The highlight of the year for the Vita, the perfect game for the platform.
6. Killzone: Mercenary ; Amazing graphics and gunplay, every bit as good as its console counterparts.
7. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ; Similar story, I wasnt expecting much after the abboration that ACIII was, but this was just pure fun.
8. Knack ; A fun, charming game with great characters and a good style.
9. Killzone: Shadow Fall ; Had to get a vote purely on a technical level. Not quite as fun as KZ2 or Mercenary, but a decent launch title.
10. Injustice: Gods Among Us ; Never played many fighting games, but this one was great fun.

Tristan Tzara

Neo Member
last-of-us.png

1. The Last of Us; At this point, everyone knows how The Last of Us begins:
a brilliant sequence filled with surprise, tension, terror and the most emotional gut-punch of the seventh generation You’re presented with the world, given the main character – and then, you see that main character change right before your eyes. Through one act of unthinkable violence, Joel transforms into the man you’ll be controlling for the majority of the game.

Naughty Dog goes all-out in the prologue, before the game proper even begins; they brilliantly allow the player to control it all, from the mundane moments through to the bombastic, and then they force us to experience the loss of control as we watch the terribleness of the situation unfold. We’re just as helpless as Joel when Sarah gets gunned down – of course we want to protect her, but no matter what, we fail. With this, Naughty Dog immediately begins subverting our expectations in regards to the narrative because we naturally imagine this whole game will be about one man’s (our) revenge against a corrupt and crumbling world – but no, if anything, it is about his revenge against himself, his own attrition for the failure to keep his daughter safe and alive. We next find Joel already broken, having given in to his demons. Living within the world that we saw the birth of; our world, spiraled downward into the gutter and filled with monsters both human and non. We witnessed the act which created Joel, so we must suppose that this world is indeed filled with similarly dangerous people who are unable to work through their pain in any sort of healthy way – we should immediately be scared to death of the other characters which fill this world.

Joel is a man who had his conception of ‘self’ violently destroyed, and who has in the interim, poisoned his new self with regret and anger. He now lives smothered by a darkness, lashing out with that same undiscriminating violence which created him in an effort to destroy everyone else’s world just as his own was destroyed. He uses the auspice of survival to justify this misanthropic attitude, but the player knows that he had the one person he cared most for in the world taken from him, we know he’s no misanthrope, he’s simply a living ghost who had his heart ripped out, who is now forced to trudge through a haunted and ghastly landscape. He now operates out of revenge, spite, trauma… call it what you will, Joel is simply a man who lost his soul, or rather, had it taken from him. Later on in the game, when he convinces himself that he may be able to reclaim it, he commits the ultimate act of selfishness and cowardice that stands as the culmination of the traits we were presented with at the start of his current story. He had given up on anything but the most brutal and lowest common denominator inherent with survival, but suddenly he realizes his life can hold meaning again beyond himself. Like a solipsist being woken from a dream world, he discovers he can transcend his own self-imposed hell. The real internal struggle is trying to figure out if he is too damaged to ever go back and believe such a thing is possible within himself, he must discover whether “Joel” still exists at all, or if it is only the dark and brutal monster which endures – the monstrous aberration which acts purely out of personal fear and survival; the façade which simply emulates humanity, but no longer truly understand its basic precepts. As it turns out, at the brilliant conclusion of the game – no – “Joel” does not exist. He is indeed only a monster, unable to actually act humanely. This is the main crux of the narrative after all; humanity’s descent into barbarism and the individual’s inability to maintain any sort of personal morality in the face of the necessities inherent in survival.

Joel’s final decision in the game, to save Ellie for himself instead of sacrificing her to the greater good (for the possible salvation of all humanity), is Shakespearean in its tragedy. Here is a man so angry at the world for destroying his life that he will damn that same world to eternal suffering so he may trick himself into believing that, in some self-delusional bit of revisionist memory, his “daughter” never died. This conceit is doubly tragic because we know, form our experiences playing through the game, that it’s all a trivial lie anyway, temporary at best. Joel’s manufactured happiness will only last so long – eventually the brutal world will bear down upon them both with its overwhelming odds and destroy any semblance of normalcy they think they have created.

In turn, Ellie’s character becomes the true victim of the story as she is coldly manipulated, and worse yet, her ethics are subverted without her consent by Joel, purely for his own selfish reasons. Ellie had committed herself and her life to the cause of finding a cure – even if it was a long shot she still felt it was a noble sacrifice to commit herself to. Yet Joel takes this ability to choose and define her own destiny away from her; she becomes his tool, his emotional pawn. By attempting to reignite his own humanity he unwittingly drags Ellie’s down to his own level, he destroys her altruism and so the prize he thinks he is winning no longer actually exists. The innocence of familial relations he desires so badly is the one thing he must destroy in order to ‘keep’ her as his own. He not only damns the world which has wronged him, but he also taints the one pure thing he thinks he has reclaimed. Ellie, in all her confused emotional duress, concedes to this role in the most passive and willfully ignorant way she possibly can. She is a child without hope after all, born to the damned generation as it were.

The narrative presented in The Last of Us is one of a kind in the video game medium – it presents the player with a subtle and textured look at the fragility of the human spirit’s ability to triumph, and humanity’s need to manufacture happiness where none exists (even at the cost of our own logical cognition). There are no clear motives or answers here – we simply know that Joel needs an emotional connection with someone and that Ellie, in her own way, needs the same thing. But this is overreaching – the same can be said for every individual on this planet. That basic concept is not what makes the narrative unique, what does make it unique is how these emotions and complex psychological desires are telegraphed and presented to us. Naughty Dog pays the audience the highest complement art can pay to its viewers; it treats them intelligently. They present us a complex tale about real emotional issues in a way that never becomes heavy-handed, gaudy, or blatant; it never becomes melodramatic or cliché – it always remains elegant and realistic. This is the first game that actually tells its story in a literary way; it bucks the trends of traditional video game medium and allows the subtle actions and dialog to tell more details of the story. The Last of Us “shows” more than it “tells” – and that is incredibly rare in the video game world. For a medium so reliant on visual representation, it’s absurd that it has taken this long for a game to truly tell a story with the subtlety of a great film. Most games present their stories in large info dumps – vomiting up chunks of exposition in between the interactive moments which could be used so effectively to tell that story instead – this is where The Last of Us differentiates itself so brilliantly from the crowd. The game assumes we are smart enough to pay attention and pick up on the details the characters express while we move them through their circumstances.

The story is presented with a well-deserved confidence rarely seen in the medium; Naughty Dog makes great use of the smash to black and time-jumps for instance. Seeing the white letters of “WINTER” – or any other season, punctuate the blackened void of the screen is always affective and again, Naughty Dog doesn’t hold us by the hand. There are leaps in time and character here, but all is inferred and all is fleshed out by the actor’s performances – not through exposition dumps. The confidence shows in what they do not show us, their restraint and their belief in the intelligence of the audience. Meanwhile, while all this narrative trickery is being presented to the players, a minimalistic and haunting score by Gustavo Santaolla punctuates the proceedings marvelously, always adding to the whole, never stealing or subtracting from it.

Aside from all the interesting things The Last of Us is doing from narrative standpoint, I think that more often than not, people downplay the actual mechanics of the game. From my anecdotal experience, most people who think the game is overrated always hang on the fact that the practical game play is stale and boring. I disagree; I think the game play is excellent, perhaps not revolutionary in any sense, but certainly a polished and precise component of the game. The controls work perfectly and all the requisite components of a third person game are pulled off faultlessly. However, that’s not to say this is a “perfect” game – there are shortcomings in the design, most notably in the AI.

To put it bluntly – friendly AI is achingly stupid. Many times throughout the game when you are trying to stealth through a section, your AI compatriots will stomp around like elephants and run right in front of enemies, while said enemies do not respond in the least bit… this immediately breaks the tension and the immersion of a sequence. It is of course a necessary trade-off to have the enemies not recognize our friendly AI characters, because if they did, the game would border on the frustratingly unplayable; probably half of all the stealth sequences attempted in the game would be unsuccessful through no fault of the players. This is an unfortunate trade-off, but one which is necessitated by the limitations of the PS3 hardware, so it is a concession I’m willing to accept – if only because the rest of the game is so damn good.

The difficulty curve is almost non-existent in TLOU, which also makes it stand out as unique in the genre. You are allowed to upgrade some of Joel’s stats; extending his maximum health, diminishing weapon sway, etc. But these are all upgraded by finding optional collectibles throughout the game – there is no inherent leveling system associated with standardized combat experience. You use shivs at the start of the game and you use them at the end of the game – there is a fantastic balance among all the tools and weapons provided you. It is just as hard/easy to choke out an enemy at the end of the game as it is at the start of the game, so really, the number of enemies, your amount of supplies and the environmental layout are the only things which really up the difficulty in the game. The fact that in most cases you’re free to roam through a level and sneak up behind enemies however you see fit, makes this balance all the more apparent. The difficulty level is constant and in this way the survival aspects of the game play always seem real – you can die in the intro sequence for godsakes. You never become powerful enough throughout the game to feel as though you can breeze through a group of enemies. Everything scales wonderfully and any one-on-one fight could end your game.

The conservation of ammo is more acutely felt in TLOU than in any game I can recall, actually making this feel like a game based on survival. As such, the majority of my three separate play-throughs consisted of trying to avoid gunplay whenever possible. Dispatching enemies with stealth hand-to-hand kills is both extremely satisfying and advantageous to the player in the way that it builds up your armory for the sections where you’ll really need some firepower to help you through. Some of the biggest thrills in the game came from this style of play; the situations of being in a room with numerous enemies, when you suddenly slip up and everyone becomes aware of your presence are extremely tense. You’ll suddenly panic as you’re swarmed and as you frantically pull your gun and attempt to fend off the murderous enemies. This is where the enemy AI shines, due to a system that Naughty Dog calls “the balanced of power”. In practical terms this amounts to the enemies “paying attention” to not only your location – then sneaking up behind you, flanking you, etc. but also causes them to pay attention to how many shots you’ve fired. If they hear the dry fire of an empty gun, or if they hear you reloading, they’ll charge you, they’ll emerge from cover and reposition; they’ll become aggressive because they’ll know you’re currently vulnerable. It’s really a fascinating thing to experience and creates some truly stand-out combat moments during higher difficulty settings.

The Last of Us is the first game that I’ve played in a long time where I immediately replayed it upon completion – then replayed it again. Experiencing it on the Survivor difficulty levels was truly a transcendent experience that I highly recommend every player experience. The Survivor difficulty level provided, without a doubt, the most visceral and intense combat situations I’ve ever experienced while playing a game. I see folks use the term “heart-pounding” quite a lot in games reviews, but I actually experienced it – over and over again – through my many times playing The Last of Us.

Some of the most brutally graphic depictions of simulated violence I’ve ever witnessed are found in this game, and what’s truly unique is that they are not pre-canned animations that you’ll see every X amount of times you shoot someone. Everything is dynamic and every time I’ve played through the game I’ve seen new, unique deaths that have shocked me in equal measure. The guns and melee weapons all have a very convincing weight and impact when used which lends a very substantive and satisfying feel to the combat, helping to further cement the realism. During my time spent playing the game and witnessing the inelegant and vicious combat I was constantly reminded of something Alfred Hitchcock once said about the way he depicts murder in his films: “In films murders are always very clean. I show how difficult it is and what a messy thing it is to kill a man.” Just like Hitchcock Naught Dog has presented us with a unique and ugly representation of murder that few other games have the patience for. To strangle someone, to bludgeon them to death, to stick a shiv into their necks is always a messy, prolonged and fierce act – it never becomes quick, clean and rote. Each and every time you beat someone to death it feels impactful because they don’t allow a standardized animation to briefly play out before the body unceremoniously drops to the floor and disappears – the developers make us watch this horror show – they make us complicit and don’t do us the disservice of making mass murder disposable, neat and convenient.

The audacity with which Naught Dog shows its representations of our main character’s mass murder also exists as a rarity in the game world. Let us take ND’s biggest franchise for instance – in the Uncharted games we play as the likable scamp of a protagonist, Nathan Drake. He’s handsome, funny and cool – we as gamers are supposed to utilize this confident, action star with movie-god looks as out direct avatar in the game world. He’s everything most people would want to be if they were in the fictional situations we play through, yet at the same time he spends the entire game shooting hundreds of people in the head, then minutes later, during the next cutscene, he cracks some jokes and remains aloof to the atrocities he endlessly commits with no regard. He is literally a mass murderer when he’s holding a gun, yet when the camera comes in for the close up he’s suddenly the Indiana Jones-esque good guy; a fun-loving scamp. It’s a huge leap and creates a real jarring bit of narrative dissonance if you actually stop to think about it. If you’re playing as Batman in a video game you’re not endlessly killing people – you’re incapacitating them at best. The reason that is the case is because Batman is not a mass-murderer. He has a moral compass and his character does not violate the internal logic of the story. I don’t mean to single the Uncharted games out either – this is a huge problem in 99.9% of videogames which involve the main protagonist holding a gun. The Last of Us, however, manages to make this commonly ignored trope glaringly obvious as soon as you pick up another game. Joel is a horrible person, we’re never told otherwise. He was once a normal, moral human being but has spiraled down into the hellish gutter lock-step with the rest of humanity. Therefore there is never a bit of narrative dissonance when he mercilessly shoots a horde of men in the face because we know he is a mass murdering piece of shit. He knows it too though – and therein lies the true transcendent revelation of the trope. The game designers have created the first truly terrible protagonist that we still feel compelled to play as. We pardon him his constant, horrific transgressions because we’ve been shown those are the logical actions of a survivalist in the fictionalized world we’re playing through. It makes sense – it doesn’t necessarily mean we like it, but that’s the genius of this game; we’re never sure if we like any of the actions we’re forced to commit… we’re simply tasked with doing them in order to survive so we may see the next bit of the narrative puzzle fall into place – continually hoping that we will find some sort of redemption within the character, some sort of morality. Naughty Dog strings us along in these futile hopes for the entire duration of the game – and it proves how well the story is told because it succeeded in making me jump from one foot to the next all the way up until that final, memorable smash to black.

Add all this metaconceptual and violent combat tension together and then sprinkle in the item management and crafting system which is all done in real-time and you’ve managed to notch all the intensity up even further. The developers integrated a fantastic risk vs. reward structure into the combat mechanics with this real-time system. In a generation full of regenerative health and instant re-spawns the purity and weight of the combat in The Last of Us was a breath of fresh, albeit spore-tainted, air.

Also worth noting – There are no superfluous tools or mechanics – as I previously mentioned, you create shivs early on and will use them all the way up to the end. Every single item you have in your inventory is useful and necessary. I can’t recall another game where I actually used every single gun I had access to, or every single secondary item. It is a testament to the precision of Naughty Dog’s vision that they were able to craft such a deft and inter-dependant system of item use and management.

The graphics engine Naughty Dog has built the game on goes a long way to legitimize all the above; complex, nuanced facial animations and body language are all conveyed in an amazingly lifelike and naturalistic fashion. Simply watching Joel’s eyes during a cut-scene can reveal the subtext, Ellie’s exasperation becomes obvious without stiff exposition. Again, like a film, The Last if Us uses its’ actors to tell the story – Troy Baker as Joel and Ashley Johnson as Ellie deliver wonderfully nuanced performances, recreated in striking relief by Naughty Dog’s jaw-dropping graphics engine which is far and away a better representation of actual human movement than I’ve ever seen in another console game..

Almost everyone can agree, despite their opinion of the game itself, that the whole thing just looks gorgeous. There is so much detail packed into every single location in the game that it is inspiring from a pure aesthetic design perspective. You can tell some very talented and very dedicated programmers spent a lot of time just making piles of trash, rusty metal and other pieces of inconsequential and non-interactive refuse – which, in any other game, would be deemed a waste of time. Here though, all these seemingly inconsequential details come together to create a density of atmosphere and sense of location – the end of civilization has never been so convincing in a game world.

Every now and then the frame rate dips and the PS3 sighs under the stress that the engine creates – but overall the style of the game fits the performance levels quite well. Everything already feels heavy and plodding – the weariness and weight of Joel works well at 30 fps and the impact of all that weight is convincing. This game is being released not only at the end of the PS3’s life-cycle, but after having already been deemed “obsolete” from a technological standpoint for over five years now. It is absolutely astounding in every way that The Last of Us looks as good as it does.

That quite moment of reflection as you watch a herd of giraffe, then sneak close enough to pet one of them – you just want that to last forever. And they’ll let you; a few different times throughout the course of the game you’re presented with a vista or a situation where, if you so desire it, you can simply stand around and… stare – you can just think. They won’t rush you onwards, no, Naught Dog allows you to have some time to feel some things. It’s rare to feel anything while playing a video game besides frustration or accomplishment, actually drawing some compelling, genuine emotion out of the player is an art and in this sense, The Last of Us is the pinnacle of the medium at this point in time. It manages to be both a great game and an artistic expression of character, narrative and aesthetics. The Last of Us is interactive experience like no other. It makes good on the promises of all the possible greatness which the medium is capable of if only we start allowing artists to have complete creative control over their creations.
Indie games have stepped up in huge ways this last generation to provide gamers with experiences which transcend the banal normalcy of traditional video games and The Last of Us proves that the same expressions of artistic honesty can be achieved at the AAA level with startling results.

1. Super Mario 3D World ; This was the most creative, imaginative, wonderful, and fun game of the year for me. I wasn't a big fan of 3D Land or Galaxy 2, so I thought this was really a return to form for EAD Tokyo, and the best overall Mario game since Galaxy. There were things they put in this game that I thought I would never see in a Mario game that had I heard in concept I would say they are out of place, but everything just worked really well. Some of the greatest sounds, sights, and level designs in any Mario game I've played. It also presented the year's most challenging level for me, Championship Road. Super Mario 3D World represents the very essence of gaming in it's purest form.
2. The Wonderful 101 ; It was hard to not to put this as my top game. It's the most unique action game to come along in quite some time. It is definitely the most gigantic and versatile pure action game I have ever played. It is easily Kamiya's best action title and provided the most "Wow" moments this year for me. The nods and references to other Nintendo games and Kamiya games and even non-video game things were neat touches, and the action sequences keep getting crazier and crazier as the game keeps going on and on and on. The dial is set at 10 at the start of the game and only keeps going up and up from there until the end. It is full of unique, charming characters, funny dialogue, and memorable moments.
3. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon ; Another I feel was deserving of the top spot, but rules are rules. I love how it balances a near perfect juxtaposition of dark atmosphere and charming humor. The art direction, animations, and music are all among the best of the year. There are subtle touches in every room that make the game come alive. There are endless ways to interact with the environment. This may have been the Year of Luigi, but the mansions were the real star of this game. Each one is chalk full of great puzzles and fun ghost busting action moments, and finishing off with some neat boss design. Haunted Towers is perhaps my favorite area/level of the year.
4. Pikmin 3 ; The near decade wait for this game was worth it. This is probably the only game all year that was equal parts stressful and relaxing. The settings are ambient and peaceful until monsters start coming at you from every angle trying to make extinct your precious Pikmin! A little part of me died inside each time I lost a Pikmin. I wish the fruit I buy at the market looked as good as the delectable produce on display in this game. The Rock and Flying Pikmin were great additions to the series, and the level design and boss battles were taken to the next level in this game.
5. God of War: Ascension ; Though probably my least favorite of Santa Monica's God of War games, I actually realized that the campaign is the only one in the series that doesn't have a part or two that I dread playing through. While it doesn't have as great of boss battles as GOW III, it certainly has great moments like riding the giant Snakes and fun battles putting you against multiple Furies simultaneously. The music is the worst in the series, but the art direction, puzzles and level design are as good as they have ever been.
6. Dead Space 3 ; Though each Dead Space game has gotten less scary, it is still perhaps my favorite new IP of last gen. The first game was an absolute masterpiece of action horror. While it's sequels toned down the horror in favor of more action, Dead Space 3 is a much meatier game than either of the first two. I played alone, and my only frustration with it came in segments that were clearly designed with multiplayer in mind. But there is definitely some unique mission design and more variety than the first two games. As usual with Dead Space, sound and artistic design are masterful. It is one of the best looking and sounding games on PS3. I didn't notice any technical hiccups either. The final area in particular is a sight to behold.
7. Tomb Raider ; This was my surprise of the year. Uncharted borrowed from Tomb Raider and now Tomb Raider borrowed from Uncharted. It was disappointing that tombs were an afterthought, but I couldn't help but be impressed by this game. The bow and arrow was awesome and the autocover was so smooth I dread having to play another clunky cover shooter again. The Island was a great setting and the environments were very beautiful. The areas you traversed were pretty open so it made the combat encounters fun to run around and tackle things from different angles. Characters and story were pretty weak but atmosphere and action made up for it.
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; While it never reaches the heights of it's predecessor, it does go back to the series roots as far as progression. Unlike other modern Zelda games, ALBW is a slim, trim, and tightly designed game. It keeps to Nintendo's handheld design philosophies of make each segment smaller, but denser to accommodate shorter play sessions. It makes everything you do more to the point, and nothing ever wears out it's welcome. I didn't like the item borrowing concept, but dungeon design is strong, the soundtrack made me very nostalgic, and the game definitely provided me with the 2D top down Zelda magic that I had been craving for a long time. It also presents some of the best 3D visuals the system had seen.
9. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; My jaw dropped when Ninja Raiden appeared in MGS4 and proceeded to kick all sorts of ass. That is probably my favorite cutscene I've had the pleasure of viewing, and in Metal Gear Rising I got to actually play and do things that Raiden did in that scene. I didn't like the soundtrack as much as most people, and the Senator Armstrong fight was truly awful, but everything else was pure action ass kicking bliss. Slicing up Gekko and helicopters into a million pieces via blade mode was incredible. No other developer makes the action look and feel as good as Platinum Games does. It's Platinum's best selling title so far, so I am hopeful for a sequel that allows them more time to help Raiden reach his full ass kicking potential.
10. Killer Is Dead ; The Mission... Killer Is Dead. I think Grasshopper Manufacture was my favorite developer this generation. You never know what they are going to do, only that it will be crazy. Killer Is Dead is no exception. Slightly more No More Heroes than Killer7, this game is the kind of mind fuck you would expect from GHM. It has my favorite art direction, soundtrack, and boss fights of the year. They might not make the most mechanically sound games, but I always know I will get something unique that I can't get anywhere else, and Killer Is Dead is no exception.

x. Rayman Legends
x. Mario and Luigi : Dream Team
x. Batman Arkham Orgins: Blackgate

Games I wish I got a chance to play that might have been in my top 10 had I played them include Fuse, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs, and Tearaway.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't know why but I just busted out laughing seeing that massive block of spoiler text. Jeez.

Also since the entire thing doesn't really specify what it does, it talks about the ending for anyone cautious.

Knox

1. The Last of Us ; Incredible multi-dimensional characters coupled with the best digital acting ever in a game. An amazingly realized post apocalyptic world coupled with the type of tense survivalist game play that supports the setting. The way the characters talk/react outside of cut scenes adding to their development as well as grounding the gameplay into the narrative. The amount of detail that the developers must have gone into to mesh all of these things together amazes me, especially on the scale of a AAA game.

2. Bioshock Infinite ; Another great achievement in story telling in big blockbuster games, although it does get over shadowed by Last of Us. Cool sci-fi story set in another amazing Bioshock world. Some people didn't like the way the game only briefly touched on certain topics instead of making them the main focus of the story, but I was able to appreciate it for what it was. I also thought the combat was really good in the game. Much better enemy variety, larger more vertical arenas, weapons felt better in general compared to the original, and the tear and sky hook mechanics were fun.

3. The Swapper ; I really liked the dark sci-fi look and theme. Loved the swapping as a way to solve puzzles, and how creepy it is to constantly kill clones of yourself. Also liked the Metroid-ish structure of exploring the space station. A great refreshing take on the puzzle platformer.

4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; Link to the Past is one of my favorite games ever, so Link Between Worlds is worth it for the wave of nostalgia alone. It helps that it's a great Zelda game as well. I was skeptical about the item renting and non linear dungeon progression going in, but I don't think it really affected the parts I like about Zelda all that much. I do wish it was a little more challenging with it's puzzles and combat, but maybe that's too much to ask for a game that probably has to cast a wide net for it's audience.

5. Gone Home ; I love exploring detailed worlds that tell a story, so naturally Gone Home scratched that itch and then some for me. It tells it's story in only a way that a video game can, and the story it tells is nothing like the stories we're used to in games.

6. The Stanley Parable ; An excellent game for someone who plays a whole lot of games. Great commentary on choice in games and in life. Most I've laughed at a game since Portal 2.

7. Rogue Legacy ; Super tight controls. Added a clever layer of progression that kept me coming back in a way that more traditional "rogue-likes" usually don't. I really liked the game's style too. Very cool art and music, and the different genetic traits were pretty funny.

8. Grand Theft Auto V ; Fun characters, incredible scale of the world, some really entertaining moments. I thought the mission variety was pretty good for a GTA game. Having three playable characters really helped me not get bored like I have in previous GTA games.

9. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ; Really cool concept for a puzzle game. Some great moments, especially near the end where the mechanics play a role in the story. Very cool looking in some areas.

10. The Room Two ; I loved the first game and this one was even better. Like with The Swapper, puzzles plus creepiness is a win for me. Manipulating and solving puzzles in this game feels so satisfying. A great example of what can be uniquely cool about tablet gaming.

x. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ; At this point I know what Assassin's is for me. It's a bunch of side activities with some character progression or collection that gives me a endorphin drip for accomplishing things of trivial difficulty. As long as the activities get mixed up enough, are aesthetically pleasing, and are kinda fun, that's all I need. Black Flag did a really good job with that and I was more than happy to put my brain in a low power state for 30ish hours of cool pirate shit.

Kalnos

Banned
1. Dota 2; Infinite replayability, tons of depth, awesome Valve art and voice-acting.
2. Volgarr the Viking; Hard but fair gameplay, awesome setting, fun for speedruns.
3. The Legend of Zelda: ALBW; Nostalgic, fun to play on the go despite its flaws.
4. Super Mario 3D World; Great fun with the multiplayer in local play.
4. Civilization V: Brave New World; Same awesome game, more depth.
5. Guacamelee!; Interesting pseudo-Metroidvania game with fun combat.
6. Pokemon X/Y; I can walk diagonally in Pokemon.
7. Ni no Kuni; Despite its flaws, I'm a sucker for Studio Ghibli.
8. Papers Please; Really unique game with some interesting choices and results.
9. The Typing of the Dead: Overkill; Honestly, I just love how ridiculous this is.
10. Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm; Improved the game some and the campaign missions are amusing.

zulux21

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies ; Thinking back, this is the only game in 2013 that I played that I really have fond memories of, a game I wish I could unplay and experience fresh once again. As par for the series, the comedy and characters were awesome, some of the changes were welcome, while some others weren't so much, but none of the changes were really bad to me. (I obviously won't go into details about the game as pretty much the entire "gameplay" is the story :p)

2. Rogue Legacy; When I play this game I can't help but think about Tubthumping , granted technically I am not getting up again after getting knocked down, but it really is a case of I get knocked down (dead) and i just start over again (with a new character stronger than before :p) while I put a lot of time into this game, it always felt like a game that was merely a good idea but not complex enough. Early on I wanted more enemy types, more weapon types, more spells, and various other things. Obviously I enjoyed the final product as it's high on my list, but it never reached the point where I felt it was something special due to how much I felt it was lacking.

3. MLB the show 2013 (vita) ; Now I know a yearly sports franchise that didn't get much of an update won't be anything special in my gaming memory, but it's still a solid baseball game that I sunk a ton of time in giving me plenty of quality hours of enjoyment which for me is more than enough to justify this spot.

4. Disgaea D2; Now it should be noted I am a huge Disgaea fan, and in general I really enjoyed the mechanics to this game. In fact mechanically this might be my favorite disgaea game. Unfortunately it's also one of my least favorites story wise. Nis is known for their out there stories, but typically their humor clicks with me rather well... a lot of the early story for DS didn't remotely click with me and I just wanted to get it over with, which is why this title fell to 4 for me in 2013.

5. The Guided Fate Paradox ; Fun rougelike gameplay mechanics, check. mostly amusing story, check, some random difficulty spikes that can cost you an hour of your gameplay, .... check. Now don't get me wrong I know losing your progress is part of this genre, but I prefer to lose it due to my stupidity, not because the enemies suddenly jumped 5 levels from the previous floor... that isn't actually my big gripe with this game though... it's the story. Don't get me wrong I am for the most part enjoying the story... the issue is there is to much of it. I usually don't mind rpgs extending the story with side plot and what not, but guided fate's story lines in general could be done in a lot less time. The issue is that after each floor you beat you have a 3-10 minute story scene... which basically makes it do a floor for 1-5 min, watch a story for 3-10... which makes the whole thing feel very very drawn out and slow. Now this didn't ruin the game for me, I mean obviously it made my top 5, but it's a case where with better pacing it could have easily made it higher and perhaps into my "something special" territory

6. One Piece Pirate Warriors 2; As you would expect from a game with Warriors in the title, this game is about mass murder, and more mass murder. That doesn't change the fact that the murder is enjoyable given you are doing it with one of the best shonen anime casts ever. In general it's well done, but the lack of a jump button baffles me given most of the characters are known dive around and what not. Overall though it was a solid game offering lots of enjoyable hours of murder.

7. Dragon's Crown; I've always loved side scrolling rpg beat em ups, they have usually gotten up pretty high on my lists. My issue with Dragon's Crown is actually a lot like Rogue Legacy... It's a very solid basis but needs more content. Don't get me wrong for it's genre it's rather impressive, but given how impressive the game is in general (despite some flaws they have been slowly addressing with free updates, updates i haven't played yet so my opinion could change) the main issue I had was there was no branching story. For the company that brought us games like odin sphere or muramasa, for it to really only have one path of a story to see was a huge disappointment for me. I mean I would have liked to see more variety in weapons/armor/enemies (and perhaps these come after you beat the game multiple times, I only beat the base story and played most of the second difficulty) but this game likely would be number 2 if the levels had multiple paths that you had to play numerous times to see them all, perhaps something more like Guardian Heroes with it's story. I would have had a lot more fun replaying all of the levels over and over if i had more choices about how to get through the level.

8. guacamelee; So, I really enjoy metroidvania games, I also enjoy playing games with my wife, on paper this game looked solid for me, in general it was just ok. This game could have easily been fighting for my number one spot (despite a story I never got into) had the metroidvania aspect been remotely meaningful. In a metroidvania game, when you unlock a new ability it should drive you to go explore where you have been to find cool new things. In a game like Dust, you could find new gear that was better than what you could get by doing this... with guacamelee, you just seemed to get money... which you could use to get upgrades, but you could earn money by killing enemies which meant searching around for treasure was pointless, i might as well just march forward and kill enemies.

9. BattleBlock Theater; A fun little co op platformer game (with meaningful co op) and plenty to unlock. I actually wasn't able to beat this game due to the person I was playing this with not being available to finish it, so it could still move up, but I doubt I will enjoy the theme/story at any point, the collectibles weren't all that exciting to me, the only thing that mattered to me was the enjoyable co op gameplay, of which from what I played used the same few tricks over and over for the levels. The later levels could be more enjoyable, but I have a feeling they will just get harder and more complex instead of more creative (I could easily be wrong though)

10. Marvel Puzzle Quest; Yes this game is free to play, yes this game suffers from count down timers and I somewhat wish that it had a real paid version to play. No they did not ruin the game. I have always been a fan of puzzle quest. I never got the appeal of a game like bejeweled, but when you add a rpg system to it I can get into it. Marvel puzzle quest mostly stays true to what I loved about puzzle quest. You are still matching stuff to do damage to enemies, have moves to use, and are leveling up your character to make them more powerful. Unfortunately you don't get exp anymore, you get crystals instead... and you can only apply the crystals if you have gotten covers to add more skills to your character to raise your level cap towards it's max (based off stars) The end result is you get a lot of options for teams, but you can't customize them as much as in puzzle quest, and are more of a pain to level up as covers are completely random (unless you win them from events or buy certain things) The game is obviously designed as a time sync, trying to get you to spend money to speed things up, but despite what some people may think (or say) you don't remotely need to spend money to enjoy/get far in the game. You can earn all the currency you would use to buy stuff in the game through the game. There is no MONEY ONLY currency that would lock you from content. Hero Points can be hard to come buy, but as long as you just use them on character slots you get plenty in game by playing the story and doing events to have plenty of options for characters. Covers are indeed random, which if you want to just be awesome with little effort without spending money isn't good news for you, but it also results in a legit.. AWE YEAH, moment when you get a cover you wanted. It's also not like the free to play thing only made the game worse, it helped in some aspects as well. The events that are often held not only give out good rewards (rarer characters, hero points) they wouldn't be meaningful if the game wasn't designed to be a time sync like it is. That same design that would drive a person who wants quick rewards to spending money, makes the events meaningful as you get those quick rewards just by participating/ doing well. Yes things start out slowly, but without spending a dime I have taken top 25 places repeatedly. (full disclosure, I had a friend who gifted me a $40 crystal/hero point pack in the game. I have only used the hero points to keep a few characters I would have otherwise sold... and the 8k crystals really aren't much, I actually wasted them on a character I rarely used so they have no real effect on how my progress in the game is going without spending money on it) If the heroes had more customization, and a bit better balance (some are just outright disgustingly good, oddly enough... the rarest ones aren't all that impressive... they just have a higher level cap, in general I feel they are inferior to the better more common heroes though)

I was going to do an honorable mention or two, but i have already spent more time on this than i wanted so screw em :p

I'm gonna catch flack for this but TLoU doesn't even register on my radar.

It doesn't register on mine either, though it should be obvious that in general I am not big into AAA games given the closest thing to one I have on my list is mlb the show :p

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
1. Dota 2; This encompasses why I enjoy PC-centric game design - furiously detailed and matched with a complexity that ensures you will never bore of the game, even hundreds of hours later on. I play this religiously.
2. Spelunky; Masterful game design executed with amazing polish - It's amazing to play a game in 2013 that prides itself on nothing but pure skill - no bullshit leveling up or other artifical barriers to entry. Game design done RIGHT. Game devs, take note.
3. Monaco: What's Yours is Mine; I adored this, an evolution of Pac-man in 2013. The artstyle is a little confused, but the overall package is very strong. The streamlined controls earn a big plus from me, a good showcase of how simplified controls can minimize the barrier to entry and allow anyone to join in the fun. Game devs take note!
4. The Last of Us; Loved it - no points for originality, but masterful execution put it above similar entries. Walking Dead can only dream of matching that narrative strength.
5. The Stanley Parable; Definitely worth a mention, but not for your usual gaming reasons. No spoilers, but it contributes to a very worthwhile discussion to the nature of games and its medium. Definitely a showcase in any serious discussion about the prospects of gaming's future.
6. Skullgirls; The most beautiful versus fighter I've ever played - it's pretty fun too!
7. Guacamelee!; Solid metroid-vania fighter - Don't think I'll ever revisit it but it was fun while it lasted. Bonus points for the aesthetic, I wish more games adopted this approach!

Wazzy

Banned
1. Fire Emblem: Awakening ; I've always been a huge fan of SRPG'S and Fire Emblem happens to be one of my favourite franchise within the genre so it came as no surprise that Awakening turned out to be amazing and my GOTY. Creating your own character was a great change and addition that allowed you to make dialogue choices that felt personal. The marriage system allowed me to put even more hours into the game focusing on connecting whoever I want and producing children for sidequests and additional characters. The storyline was decent and the artstyle was beautiful.

2. The Last Of Us ; This was almost my GOTY but I just didn't get the same amount out of this that I did in FE. The story and characters were engaging and wonderfully written. I really connected with Joel and Elly even though one of them made a lot of questionable choices. The graphics were gorgeous and would constantly have me stopping to just stare at them.The game play was fun with a not too complex upgrade system. The music was well done and is one of my favourite soundtracks this gen.

3. Pokemon X ; What an amazing game and as usual Pokemon just keep getting better and better. I've put countless hours into this game what with the new Super Training system making EV training a simple task and breeding faster due to it's location and items. They introduced a new type that shakes up the competitive scene making things fresh and giving people the opportunity to come up with new strategies and counters. The Mega evolution is one of the best new gimmicks in the game making the competitive scene even better with more guesswork and countering. Overall a fantastic game.

4. Zelda ALBW ; I expected myself to find this game mediocre due to some of the characters appearances looking a little odd and the type of Zelda style wasn't very appealing to me personally. Boy was I wrong. Not only does it have a great and charming story but the game- play is fun, fast and not too difficult. The option of freedom of choice rather than linearity was one of the best additions to this game and reminded me of a bigger Majora's Mask. I loved being able to rent and buy any weapon I want very early on in the game which also allowed different ways to play depending on what you chose. The soundtrack was fantastic which is not uncommon for Zelda games.

5. Phoenix Wright DD ; The return of Phoenix worried me. On one hand, you adore the character because it's, well, Phoenix Wright! and he was such a core to the original three games but on the other, you were hoping Apollo would get his chance to shine with a second game since the series had moved on from Phoenix. Well DD managed to introduce a new character and still make sure Apollo and Phoenix got a good amount character development and focus. The music is top notch like every Ace Attorney game and each case is full of batshit crazy but the good kind. These games are always an amazing experience and I'm glad I can continue to say the same for this one.

6. Ni No Kuni ; I love studio Ghibli's artstyle and this game was just full of charm. The presentation and music were phenomenal and were such a big part of my enjoyment. The battle system was a little difficult to get used to and wasn't much fun but it wasn't terrible. I would love to see more games like this.

7. Ys Memories Of Celceta ; I love Ys games and this one scratched the itch. Fast paced battle system with typically good music blasting in the background. The game has a bit of a slow start but once you get your freedom it really takes off. The storyline is good and the characters were likeable.

8. Soul Sacrifice ; A game branded a Monster Hunter Clone by many but deserves better. The lore and details are amazing and the music and voice acting is extremely well done. The multi player was a blast with friends even though connecting all at once could be a chore at times. The amount of options and choices for magic was great.

x. GTA V ; I've played a little and enjoyed what I did immensely but not enough to make it into the top ten.
x. Metal Gear Rising ; I play quite a bit and loved the gameplay but still I never finished this therefore putting it in the top ten wouldn't feel right.

2012. Zero Escape: VLR(Vita) ; A dark game full of twists and surprises that kept me hooked non-stop much like it's precessor 999. The music fit's perfectly with chilling tunes such as Blue Bird and Sinisterness . The characters were mystifying but intriguing and made you want to understand them better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom