• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question that has probably already been asked. FOr like Episodic series', are they one game each?

I feel like that's up to you to some extent. Some people in this thread are counting DLC campaigns (ex. Bioshock Infinite's Burial at Sea Pt. 1), and certainly episodes of a game would be about the same length or longer. Really, if it feels like each episode is a self-contained game to you, then I say by all means count them as separate. If it doesn't, then don't.

donny2112

Really, if it feels like each episode is a self-contained game to you, then I say by all means count them as separate. If it doesn't, then don't.

Wonderful way of putting it. I think MRORANGE purposefully left strict rules out to leave it up to each of us how to count games, so I think your statement is spot on. :)

TheZjman

Banned
I feel like that's up to you to some extent. Some people in this thread are counting DLC campaigns (ex. Bioshock Infinite's Burial at Sea Pt. 1), and certainly episodes of a game would be about the same length or longer. Really, if it feels like each episode is a self-contained game to you, then I say by all means count them as separate. If it doesn't, then don't.

Thanks!

I'll have a think about it. I was only asking because TWD. About to play 400 Days and Season 2 Ep 1 so i think i may count them separate.

Asparagus

Game 1: The House of the Dead- 1 hour 30 minutes
Not as good as the sequel but it's fun.

Game 2: Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm- 21 hour 6 minutes
I've been playing this on and off for over a year now. Nearing the end I think, don't think I'll bother with the sequel.

darkziosj

Game 1: ALBW (3DS) - 15 hours
# Loved it, great dungeons, the 3d was awesome, the OST godlike like always.

Game 2: Mother 3 (GBA) - 21 Hours 33 Minutes
# Never played mother 2 but man this game its so charming, every character is interesting and the combat is fast and fun had a blast with it, may try mother 2 in a few weeks.

Game 3: Steamworld Dig (3DS) - 7 Hours 30 Minutes
# I Didn't expect much from this game but after a few hours i became addicted to it, the way it handles exploring and upgrades it's pretty awesome! There's a few things to fix like random enemies appearing and few other but otherwise great game and im glad i bought it

Game 4: Battlefield 4 (PC) - 20 hours and counting
# The campaing was mediocre at best and being forced to play it again and again for weapons it's not fun at all. The multiplayer it's where everything's at after the patches EA did to the game it became much more enjoyable i have around 10+ hours of play and it's still fun i play it from time to time.

Game 5: Guildwars 2 (PC) - 65 Hours and couting

# Yeah i over did it a little with this one, reaching 100% of world completion is one goal that takes a very long time i had fun doing it tho, the world it's beautiful and worth exploring.

yaffi

Okay, I'm in!

Game 1: Yakuza: Dead Souls - ~28h - Finished (Throphies 48%)
Had it sitting around for a few years now. Started the game in early December and while it wasn't bad, it became really repetitive quite fast. So I just rushed through everything, after having done almost all the substories and stuff with the first three characters. Story was fine; the cast (and the typical Yakuza humor) and zombies make anything bearable anyway.

And I finished my first game in 2014. \o/

Axass

Challenge accepted.

Just posting what games I'm playing atm, will update.

- JANUARY -

Game 01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 8,5/10 - 20:09 hours
Completed the story, got all Maiamais and all hearts but two fragments. A very good game that goes back to the roots of the franchise, however it took just a little too much inspiration from aLttP to be honest: the map is almost exactly the same, the situations and plot aren't that much different either. Of course there are innovations, like the item shop, however I didn't really like it: it doesn't change the dungeon=item progression, just you don't find the items IN the dungeon anymore, the prices are ridiculously low both for renting and buying them, so you end up with all the items after a few hours and the curiosity factor that usually pushes you to go on, to find the next new thing, isn't there at all, you're left with huge sums of money that are completely worthless. The story seems also to be an afterthought and very NPC-light: only in the last few hours it picks up, with some turnarounds, but is ultimately predictable enough; I wish they'd have given Yura a more prominent role as a recurring villain, but after your first fight you basically don't see him anymore until the end.

Game 02: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. - 6,5/10 - 59:23 hours
Completed the story and almost everything else. The game's too long for its own good, too repetitive and there's way too much hand holding, something that sadly affects almost every game made by Nintendo lately. The story's not that interesting, the gameplay has just a few new little touches to add to the usual stuff of the series: there's just so much fun you can get from using the combo techniques when they are mostly the same ever since the first game. Speaking of the first game, it's still the best of the series, undoubtely, Bowser's Inside Story comes second, then this one, while the worst has to be Partners in Time. I think it's about time to put the series to rest or to give it a major overhaul: using once again the same basic structure plus a new gimmick (dream sections, which aren't even as good as one could've imagined) won't cut it next time.

Game 03: Space Invaders Extreme 2 - 8/10 - 5-7 hours
Completed all possible paths, finished both time attack and the standard mode. Very nice shooter/puzzle game, it takes the model of the original Space Invaders and makes everything colourful and trippy. The action is great and you have to actually think about what you shoot, many times I started playing for a five minutes session and ended playing for half an hour or more. However if you played the first one of the series, don't bother with this: they're basically the same.

- FEBRUARY -

Game 04: Metroid Prime [replay] - 9,5/10 - 16:51 hours
I reached 100%, completed everything aside from scanning those damn Ice Shriekbats; replayed it as a part of Metroid Trilogy, so that I can then proceed to the two sequels, that I never played before. What a game! Genius level design coupled with amazing atmosphere: I found myself in awe at some choices of the developers; the game's a relic of a time gone by, when FPS (even though the adventure here is as prominent as the shooting) were all about freedom to explore mazes and structures, while mowing down enemies: it feels closer to Doom than any other gruesome FPS of today. The graphics hold up very well even today, thanks to some beautiful artistic choices, the sound is perfect, the new motion controls added in the collection work flawlessly: I think this is the best use of motion controls in gaming, bar none. Only problems I could find were related to pacing: lots of stuff to scan at the beginning (Ruins/Overworld), then almost nothing (Phendrana/Magmoor), then in the Mines again lots of scanning breaking the action; though that's a totally optional activity, so it's not that big of a complaint. Speaking of pacing, the transport and tunnel system could have been realized in a better way, as you often find yourselves having to go through the same areas to reach new content; but then again this is way more apparent if you go for the 100% ending. All in all it's a masterpiece, I doubt I'll play anything better this year.

Game 05: Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - 8,5/10 - more or less 20 hours
Great game, it's fundamentally Phoenix Wright, just out of court and with a few different characteristics. You can move in third person inside pre-rendered backgrounds, so one would assume you have more freedom than in the original series, but it's actually the opposite: most of the game feels on rail, you are almost always stuck in a place and can't leave until you trigger the next event by doing everything you can right there. The gameplay doesn't really add anything new, aside from the Little Thief, a device capable of virtually recreating a crime scene: an interesting concept explained in great detail that sadly ends up under-utilized (it's used three times only in the entire game); there are still testimonies and rebuttals, just not in court, but the magatama's psyche-locks are gone; the game is basically more straightforward. The story is still the best part, we've all the cases that interwine to create an ongoing plot, with a long and fulfilling climax; though the plot is way more complicated than in previous games, and a tad more difficult to follow, as it takes a wider, international, perspective.

- MARCH -

Game 06: Air Traffic Chaos - 8/10 - 22:06 hours
Completed all the airports at every difficulty and got 8 different titles. The game is weird, with almost no attention to the graphical presentation, which is barebone and very uninspired (feels like a bargain bin game); it has one of the craziest difficulty spikes I've ever witnessed: easy mode will bore you out of your mind, but it's needed to play the higher difficulties, from medium and onwards though the game becomes very tricky and you're always a move away from failing. In fact you fail a lot and the game becomes a colossal time sinker: you can't stop yourself from restarting again and again because the game is very fair, even if hard, and you always think that if you correct that little mistake you've made you can do it.

Game 07: Broken Age - Act 1 [with gf] - 7,5/10 - 5:18 hours
Somehow a disappointment: I grew with Curse of Monkey Island, I later played all the Lucasarts classics, and many other adventure games, when I heard about Tim Schafer's kickstarter I really hoped for an old-school adventure game... but this wasn't the case. It's actually the opposite, the game is very streamlined, the settings not big enough, the puzzles too easy (never got stuck once), the dialogues options too simplified, the interactions too limited and the characters not wacky enough. It fails to recapture everything that made the genre great: I think that, to choose a recent example, Deponia is a much better adventure, that stays closer to the roots of the genre, while also innovating. The artistic presentation is charming, the possibility of switching characters is a good gimmick, the plot neat so far, but that's not enough to create a great adventure, just an average one. The length is abysmal, of course it's only part 1, but even taking into account part 2, the game shouldn't be more than 10 hours: where did the $3+ millions went? Especially since they had to search for even more money later on...

- APRIL -

Game 08: Mario Kart Wii - 8/10 - more or less 15 hours
Bought this long ago but I recently returned to it, due to Mario Kart 8 hype, to properly complete it: I unlocked all characters and vehicles, won a gold trophy in all the courses (I didn't bother for the 3 star rankings though). All in all it's a good entry in the franchise, it adds bikes, tricks and a bunch of new characters. The retro tracks selection is very good but the new ones somehow don't stand up to the aforementioned old traks, they lack a certain charm and personality, the shortcuts aren't really short in most cases, they're too plain for a Mario Kart game. The same applies to menus and the general presentation, the game lacks the usual polish and attention to details, sometimes it feels like a generic Wii Kart game instead than a proper Mario Kart. All in all though it's a fun entry in the series... but that damn blue shell... so many retried trophies due to being hit by it on the finish line...

Game 09: Super Paper Mario [replay with gf] - 7,5/10 - 20:51 hours
Finished the game with my girlfriend, we played one stage each, completed the main story without any side mission. The game doesn't really feel like Paper Mario, it's not a bad game, but you start playing expecting something else: the whole plot is far removed from the Mushroom Kingdom and from the usual canon, allies and enemies we love and expect to see; aside from the 4 main characters and a bunch of enemies, the rest is made up of weird stuff like flying farting asses and pseudo-geometric stuff in general. It's not a game that one would say oozes charm at all, though it has a quite distinct style and that's a good thing. The plot isn't that elaborate or complex, even though there are a few twists, you can quite well predict them ahead of time, the game is very linear and offers a mix of elements: platforming, RPG stuff, adventuring; as often happens in these cases, none of those feel very accomplished: the flipping is a nice gimmick, though you can't help but think that it is sometimes underused or misused, the platforming isn't that challenging, the RPG elements are superficials and the game could've really done without them.

- MAY -

Game 10: Mario Strikers Charged - 7,5/10 - 27:09 hours
Finished winning all trophies and challenges after I had shelved it for years. This game is evil, you start the first cup and destroy everybody even if you barely know how to play, you reach the second cup and the real challenge begins, there's a great jump in difficulty but everything is fair, you struggle but in the end you make it. Then you get to the fuckin' Crystal Cup: they could have put up a sign saying "Abandon all hope, you who enter here". The last cup isn's difficult, it's hell on Earth, it's worse than Devil May Cry at the highest difficulty setting, almost freakin' worse than fuckin' Battletoads, at least there you can perfect yourself until you learn by memory every obstacle and enemy; here the CPU is just UNFAIR, you can end up taking 10 goals in a matter of seconds if you don't keep up your guard. I'm generally really good at games, and it had been years since a game had caused me such rage. Out of those 27 hours I played, about 20 were spent on the fucking Crystal Cup: lose just once in the tournament section and you have to start over and play 10 (!) qualification matches, even if you win the tourney you have to beat the fuckin' champion twice. The same applies to the last few challenges, hellish difficulty. It's a shame because the gameplay in itself is mad fun, it's great to play with friends and (I guess, nerver tried) online too.

Game 11: HarmoKnight - 7,5/10 - 18:52 hours
Got a gold for every stage in the game, both at normal and hard. A nice underappreciated rhythm game with a charming world design: there's a lot of attention to detail, all the enemies are comprised of musical instruments and when you hit them they sound accordingly; some of those critters could have worked just fine as pokémon (the game is made by Gamefreak). The difficulty settings are quite balanced: the normal playthrough goes smoothly till the end, there's an excellent learning curve in the game; the hard levels are challenging enough but don't prompt you to rage quit due to frustration... that is until the very last ones, those are hellish, however that is to be expected from the end game. The songs are fine but nothing to write home about, there's a good degree of variety in the stages, thanks to the introduction of new enemies, the use of different characters, vehicles, and QTE bosses, but they could have tried to shake up things a little more, the secondary characters are under-utilized (also I hate how the music stops everytime you switch characters, totally breaks the mood).

Game 12: 999 - 8,5/10 - more or less 20 hours
Completed the game with the true ending and unlocked all the others as well. Amazing game, great storytelling, compelling misteries: I was hooked on the plot till the end of the true ending, so many twists and curve balls. The characters are all fleshed out and very interesting: they appear to be kind of shallow and stereotypical at the beginning, but I love how you discover their feelings and stories bit by bit, during the various playthroughs. However the game has a bunch of flaws: the puzzles are lacking and too easy for their own good and the automatic text scrolling during the various new games plus isn't autonatic enough. They should've given us the possibility of entirely skipping all the sections already done, same with the puzzles: there's no reason to mechanically redo the same puzzles after the first time, it's just a bother; if only they added a bunch of randomized ones, it would've made sense. All in all it's a great game though, one of the best narrated stories in a gme ever. That ending!

Game 13: Castle Crashers [with gf] - 8/10 - more or less 15 hours
Completed the normal quest in co-op, unlocked a shitload of weapons and a bunch of secret characters. Very nice co-op game, love the animations and art-style, the humour and fast action. The overworld map is pretty and I loved the throwbacks to Alien Hominid. Even though it's long and has many different enemies and bosses, the game feels kind of repetitive at times, especially during the first half, before you reach the volcano and mechanical castle. Up until that point the stages are kind of similar, in a medieval fantasy kind of way, but from the volcano and on shit gets real: a technological castle, the desert, an alien mothership, marshes, corn fields, an underwater temple, an ice castle... and that final battle: OMG he just wouldn't die. Aside from the stages, I was let down a little by the characters and by the battle system: too many similarities between the charcaters, only the magic sets them apart, and the action in general isn't too varied, it's pretty much a button mashing party.

- JUNE -

Game 14: Art Academy - 7/10 - more or less 15 hours
Done all the main lessons, almost all mini-lessons, and tried to paint by myself. Very nice tutorial game, it's a bit limited on the options, but what it does it does flawlessly; I was especially amazed by how well the actual action of painting and drawing is simulated. It does work too, I was able to create some little gems, even though I've almost never drawn or painted: I was actually astonished by what I managed to create, didn't think it was possible.

- JULY -

Game 15: Thomas Was Alone - 7,5/10 - around 5 hours
Completed all levels and got all Steam achievements. Nice minimalist platformer with some weird but good choices: those polygons are some very funny and interesting characters. I can't believe I just said this, though I guess it's part of the charm of the game, the fact the story is so out there. The controls and platforming are spot on, but the levels themselves are a bit lacking on complexity, I never got stuck once in the entire game; the early stuff is very good because you learn the basics and are amazed by what you can do with a bunch of squares and rectangles, but later on everything reeks of deja-vu level-wise, even though the game keeps throwing new "characters" with different physics at you. The jetpack controls horribly, they could have done without that gimmick out of nowhere, it kinda ruins the flow of the game.

Game 16: To the Moon - 7,5/10 - 5:30 hours
Iit's a very nice little story (I cried at the end), but I can't shake the feeling it shouldn't have been a game. I mean, the only gameplay elements can be summed up to (a) walking, (b) searching memory links and (c) solving tile puzzles. With so little to "play", you'd think at least that would be flawless... yet it all feels tacked on. The tile puzzles are all so basic and easy, moreover they can be solved with how many moves you want, no penalties; searching memory links is a chore, and you get nothing after finding them, also sometimes they are put arbitrarily on weird or unimportant things; even walking doesn't work, the fact that such a simple function is borked left me speechless: there are textures you can't walk on and the mouse pointer doesn't work half the times, the characters seem to wander aimlessly sometimes, instead than going where you want. They feel more like obstacles to the enjoyment of the well narrated story than anything, none of those gameplay elements felt fun or satisfying. I think To the Moon could've been even better if it wasn't a game at all, just a straight up visual novel.

- AUGUST -

Game 17: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 8,5/10 - 25:29 hours
Completed at 100% in veteran mode (the game comes from the Trilogy re-release). The game holds its ground well, even against a masterpiece such as the first Prime: there are way more bosses, the Ings are cool, the scanner has been overhauled for the better, the feeling of dread is real. However it's somehow lacking in level design, the places aren't as original as those of the first game (Ing Hive aside), the non-Ing enemies are too samey, the colours used are too dark and gritty, there's too much mechanics and items recycling. The action is great, the puzzles and secrets too, but the game has that "been there, done that" feeling, which leaves a bad aftertaste; the whole light and dark gimmick is certainly not original, and lacks depth. Also the menu and logbook are made by the devil.

Game 18: Papers, Please - 8/10 - around 7 hours
Completed story mode with four badges and a bunch of ending, a good one too. The game is great, it starts from a pretty boring premise and builds on it deploying heaps of fun. It's some sort of action puzzle, involving quick thinking, having a good memory, clever decision making and so on; the way it gradually teaches you the basics while always adding something new everyday is amazing: it never gets boring (at least on your first playthrough). The plot is nothing to write home about, but you slowly begin to care about your character, due to the constant struggle for your family's survival; the recurring characters are also nice and there's a few plot twists in there. Hail Arstotzka!

Game 19: Heavenly Sword - 5,5/10 - around 6-7 hours
Completed the game with all the glyphs. Now the game isn't horrible by any means, graphics are good (aside from ground textures), some scenes are impressive and the facial animations are still stunning to this day IMO. The gameplay on the other hand... ugh... you either slash one of 5 different kind of enemies or you shoot something in slow-mo. I understand they needed to showcase the power of the PS3, but the whole game feels like some sort of graphic tech demo. Hiccups are frequent, the combat is dull and repetitive, often janky, the aftertouch is nice the first few times but it gets boring and annoying after a while, especially when you're forced to use it, the plot is barebones and lacks any kind of innovative trait. Andy Serkis is great but watching Bohan in the game feels like seeing Hamlet thrown in medieval Japan: he feels so incredibly out of place. Progression is a snoozefest, long corridors, almost no puzzles, and when you find one they are either stupidly easy or spoiled by the game itself. Finishing the stages with three marks is almost completely futile, the rewards are mostly comprised of external goods, such as art and videos, the only in game reward are new moves... too bad you mostly don't need them, as the ones you start with are more than enough to complete the game. I'd say the team clearly wanted to create an interactive movie (one guy says it himself at one point) and that Heavenly Sword is the maximum and first exemplum of the "games-as-blockbuster-movies-with-barebones-gameplay" that's plaguing the industry nowadays and that reached the point of saturation (I hope) a bunch of years ago, just before the rise of the indies.

- SEPTEMBER -

Game 20: Kid Icarus: Uprising - 8,5/10 - 45:59 hours
Completed story mode, got lots of challenges done, obtained lots of weapons and played online a good amount of time. The controls weren't a problem for me, but the hand cramps definitely were, didn't find the included stand all that useful. I loved the simple but very well thought plot, and the vast number of well characterized cast members; the voice work was amazing, some of the best and most convincing I've ever heard in a game, the interactions between characters were so good, they became one of the things driving you to play more. The game's choke full of content, and the story mode itself is quite long and replayable, always throwing something new your way. The gameplay and the graphics are top notch, in both flight and ground mode: one of the best games to show the 3DS capabilities.

Game 21: New Super Mario Bros. U [with gf] - 8/10 - 27:26 hours
Completed the game with all the stars, still have to complete the challenges. Even though the game's fun, it's a little bit formulaic at this point, and the series should probably take a well derserved rest for now. Nabbit is fine, but nothing earthshattering, especially when you consider they didn't put in the effort to create original levels for the chases, unlike what Rayman Origins did. The huge Super Mario World-like world map is one of the best new features, just like the secret passages, but not enough to elevate this "new" iteration above the recurring mechanics and gameplay the series is known from.

Game 22: Antichamber - 9/10 - 25:40 hours
Completed every room but one, due to low framerate being an issue to enter it. Everything about this game resonates with me: minimal and very clean graphics, amazing puzzle design, the feeling of discovery you won't find in modern games, secrets everywhere, that moment of satisfaction due to having solved a hard puzzle that had you stuck for a long time, multiple ways to solve the puzzles and to reach your goals, the "life lessons" hints you find scattered throughout the game, the aura of mystery encompassing everything. It's only a shame that the ending is kind of underwhelming and that there are some optional but unfinished puzzles in the game. One of the best indie games ever made, go play it!

Game 23: Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise - 8/10 - DURATION PLAYED
Completed the game and got all gold medals (not all perfects yet though). As usual the rhythm series has top notch gameplay in its category, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was lacking in this iteration. It's not the amount of content, rather it's about a certain feeling of sameness pervading most of the games: you can only press A or A+B, no other options, of course it was a conscious choice to embrace semplicity and immediacy, but the result is a shallow experience compared to the GBA and DS iterations.

Second post with games completed from September to December.

yaffi

Second game I started is Asura's Wrath. Now I have two games in a row that have a character voiced by Rie Kugimiya!

KiDdYoNe

Oh, damn... i thought it was 30 games or something like that.

Count me in, GAF. Look's like something already can be listed, but let's not speed it up.

Started Ni No Kuni from the beginning today. Already 6-7 hours played. Great game by the way.

Tyrael

Game 1: Assassins Creed III - ~ 24 hours
The weakest of the series IMO.

Game 2: Sine Mora - 2.5 hours
A very good horizontal shooter, but a bit confuse storywise.

Game 3: Bioshock Infinite - Burial at the Sea Ep.1 DLC - 3 hours
Don't know if this aplies beeing a DLC, but it was very awesome and I'm really looking foward for the Ep.2. :)

3 games completed in 1 day, that's a first for me! :D

Eborga

Neo Member
So far this year I have done

Game 1: Ryse son of Rome xbox one. 7 hours

Game 2: killzone shadow fall ps4. 7 hours

Game 3: contrast ps4. 4 hours

Game 4: resogun ps4. 5 hours

Game 5: walking dead season one ps vita. Finished plus dlc

Game 6: assassins creed 4 ps4. Finished

Game 7: gravity rush ps vita in progress.

Game 8: Dead rising 3 xbox one in progress

Game 9: Killzone PS Vita not started

Game 10: Uncharted abyss Vits not started

Game 11: Tearaway not started

Game 12: Escape plan Vita not started

Game 13: Hotline Miami vita in progress

Asparagus

Bit of a swap around, wanted to start THOTD: Overkill.

Game 2: The House of the Dead: Overkill- 3 hours
It's hard at the start when you only have the stock handgun. Fun though, the story's mental.

Game 3: Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm- 21 hour 6 minutes
I've been playing this on and off for over a year now. Nearing the end I think, don't think I'll bother with the sequel.

MrDaravon

Thanks!

I'll have a think about it. I was only asking because TWD. About to play 400 Days and Season 2 Ep 1 so i think i may count them separate.

The personal rule I follow is that if something cannot be played without having another game/DLC I don't count it. So for example I counted the Walking Dead Season 1 as one game since (at least as far as I know) you can't play Episode 2 without playing Episode 1, etc. Same for DLC; I know people who count say Borderlands 2 and Mass Effect DLCs as separate games, and it's a judgment call but those people are crazy. There's probably some edge cases like Minerva's Den which are separate entities but still have to be booted through the main game.

I don't think anyone's going to really give anyone shit here either way though, and to be honest like 99% of these are just going to be Walking Dead related anyway so :p

01. :pc: Bastion*
What a wonderful game. I can't gush about it enough. Music, story, presentation, gameplay, artwork -- all top notch. I remember thinking this game wasn't anything special based on the x360 demo when it launched on Summer of Arcade a few years back. Boy, was I ever wrong.
02. :pc: Gone Home
Interesting game. Definitely had a good narrative to it and seeing how it all played out and finding out what happened actually was quite amazing. Having been a teenager during the 90s probably helped a little.
03. :pc: To The Moon*
For being an RPG-maker game and having some annoying gameplay mechanics, the story was quite compelling. This game really does bring the feels.
04. :pc: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance*
Amazing. After getting the platinum on PS3 and making it my overall GOTY for 2013, it doesn't disappoint in it's PC debut. I spent over 75 hours here and unlocked every single achievement. First experience with the DLC was a good time as well.
05. :pc: Guacamelee*
Playing again after getting the platinum on Vita; still one of the best metroidvania type games in years, and the combat system is surprisingly deep.
06. :pc: Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack*
Not as great as the game was on Vita (Drinkbox had amazing touch controls there that don't quite translate as well to a gamepad), but still a phenomally well-crafted platformer that oozes charm. ;)
07. :pc: Mark of the Ninja*
As much as I dislike Klei and some of their previous efforts, this game was surprisingly fun and well done. A great take on stealth that really brought a sense of being a ninja that reminded me of my days with Tenchu on PS2.
08. :pc: Thomas Was Alone*
Competent platformer that tried too hard (for me at least) at being something different in terms of story with all sorts of philosophical aspects.
09. :pc: Spelunky
One of the most well crafted games I have ever played. Just about truly endless replay value. 78 hours and counting.
10. :pc: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow*
Second spin through (platinum'ed on PS3 as well). First time doing the DLC. Seeing the game on PC vs PS3 was amazing. The 60fps difference is real, folks.
11. :pc: Mutant Mudds Deluxe*
Competent throwback platformer that could be tough as nails in spots. That parallax 3 plane design was interesting as well. It probably looked better on 3DS though.
12. :pc: Strider*
Absolute garbage. A total dumpster fire. Worst reboot I've ever played and biggest disappointment since FFX.
13. :vita: Rayman Legends
Not as good as Origins, but it's a decently made platformer. I would not suggest playing on Vita... PC or console is the way to go here so you can avoid the torture of the touch Murfy levels. Also, avoid the Vita version if you're a trophyhunter -- it has some of the worst online/grinding trophies I've ever encountered... I'm still grinding them out daily.
14. :pc: Batman: Arkham Origins
The combat is a bit off... something is different in this game. But overall, the story, the gameplay, it's all there still and even better than it was in AC, IMO.
15. :pc: The Swapper*
Clever platform puzzler that revolves around a cloning gun. Some puzzles are obtuse and most of the achievements are highly unlikely to be found without following a guide.
16. :pc: Steamworld Dig
Disappointing. You just dig down, mostly. The replay value is minimal and while the gameplay was repetitive and boring, I found myself compelled to continue digging downward.
17. :pc: Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z
Everyone bashes this game for not being NG, but it's not supposed to be. I love this game. Over 50 hours done, more than 3.5 playthroughs logged, NGZ mode decimated, and 100% achievements unlocked.
18. :pc: Castlevania: Mirror of Fate HD
Another game that is much better than the buzz about it on the internet. Sometimes the platforming is janky, but the combat is suprisingly good for a 2D version of the LoS system... and the story was interesting. Overall a solid Castlevania.
19. :pc: Ys I*
Hard as nails on Nightmare mode. Eventually finished it up despite some of the most ridiculous bosses (and the bump combat system). Solid, can't wait to play the rest of the series someday.
20. :pc: Nihilumbra
This game does a better job at the philosophical storytelling that Thomas was Alone kind of focused on. Interesting use of colors and painting mechanics.
21. :pc: Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate HD*
Terrible. It has a decent metroidvania vibe, but the combat is beyond terrible for translating the Arkham games to 2D, and the 3D transitions to other areas can just be confusing. Annoying for achievement hunters as it requires 3 full playthroughs to get 100%.
22. :pc: Type:Rider
Interesting game... I just wish it controlled a bit tighter than it does. I almost gave up on finishing the game because of the comic sans level (which was good for a few laughs until I wanted to throw my gamepad).
23. :pc: Dear Esther
The best I can say for this is that some of the environments are aesthetically beautiful. Otherwise it's a glorified walking simulator.
24. :pc: FEZ*
Solid game. I just wish some of the puzzle solutions weren't so obtuse to get to 100%... I just could not wrap my mind around some of it at points. Very well done... it's a shame about Phil Fish when I look back at this.
25. :pc: Finn & Jake's Epic Quest*
Very repetitive schlock that was probably just ported from the CN website...
26. :pc: Jurassic Park: The Game*
Much maligned, but not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. My only problems revolved around achievement hunting and the sequences requiring advanced knowledge of the coming inputs so that you could enter them quick enough. Cool story for those who are fans of the JP franchise.
27. :pc: Chuck's Challenge 3D
Great puzzler from the creator of Chip's Challenge (which I loved back in the days of Win 3.1).
28. :pc: The Typing of the Dead Overkill
Typing of the Dead meets House of the Dead: Overkill? The only losers are the zombies.
29. :pc: Castle of Illusion*
Competent remake of the old 16-bit platformer.
30. :pc: DOOM 3: BFG Edition
This game was too long. And there wasn't enough enemy variety. Overall it was a decent time though.
31. :pc: Dark Souls II*
Currently my GOTY, I was thinking the PC port was going to be garbage after consolegate. But between SweetFX and GeDoSaTo, it's amazing. 120+ hours and I still need to go back and do the DLC later this year.
32. :pc: You Have to Win the Game
Great free to play classic platformer.
33. :pc: Bound by Flame
Decent action RPG but marred by some instances where consequences of your choices are unclear or the developers prevented you from doing whatever your character wanted (my female lead was totally into one of the female characters, but same sex romance was not allowed).
34. :pc: The Plan*
Just hold up.
35. :vita: Muramasa Rebirth*
Amazing 2D action game. You haven't really played it until you've conquered Chaos mode.
36. :vita: Genroku Legends: Fishy Tale of the Nekomata*
Plays like a totally new game related to the original Muramasa.
37. :pc: Injustice: Gods Among Us
Great story mode as I expected from Netherrealm after MK9. Core fighting mechanics still didn't impress me and I like MK9 better... but I did have some fun with it overall. The online is horrible and janky.
38. :pc: Aliens: Colonial Marines
Yet another "hated" game that I had a good time with. A great FPS that is pretty true to the whole Aliens motif.
39. :pc: Prototype 2
Great sandbox superpowers game. I'm not a fan of Heller and would've liked to use the Alex Mercer skin from the start, but hey... what can you do. I'd recommend this.
40. :pc: Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
Sort of like the B-tier of God of War clones... I was really put off by the lack of bosses and a small variety of enemies. The cutscenes were absolutely terrible too... but not in that campy/enjoyable B-movie way.
41. :pc: Octodad: Dadliest Catch
There's something magical about this game. I don't like QWOP type games for the most part... but there's just something whimsical about being an Octopus who is deceiving everyone disguised as a human -- especially when you sneak into the museum break room, bust the tank with the piranha in it, and then throw aforementioned piranha into the microwave.
42. :pc: Sniper Elite 3
Overall, a fun stealth/sniping game. I really wish my preorder had come with the Hitler DLC. I need to pick that up and get back into it.
43. :pc: The Wolf Among Us*
Possibly the best Telltale game ever. Well done and well animated.
44. :pc: Broforce
Great contra style run & gun type game. Probably even more fun with some people in co-op.
45. :pc: Transistor
Could not live up to my lofty expectations of SuperGiant after Bastion. It's graphically well done and the music is okay, but I feel the combat doesn't work as a straight up action game, and the method of story telling is not my cup of tea (one-sided conversation is not narration).
46. :pc: Abyss Odyssey
Decent mix of fighter and platformer, though it's not quite as fluid as I'd hoped. ACE Teams best effort to date, without a doubt.
47. :pc: Serious Sam 3
I can't stand Sam's voice. I played the game on a lower difficulty with a friend and it felt too easy. It's probably a competent FPS overall, but I wouldn't say it stands out when played solo.
48. :pc: Wolfenstein: The New Order*
A good FPS overall. Interesting alternate history. I think I have about 40 hours of playtime for 100% completion.
49. :pc: Broforce: The Expendibles Missions
Nice movie tie in for Expendables 3 as a standalone Broforce campaign.
50. :pc: Aliens: Colonial Marines : Stasis Interrupted*
Not as good as the core game, but the beginning of the DLC is well done when you're running and hiding through the chaos without a weapon.
51. :pc: Shovel Knight
AMAZING. FANTASTIC. Full of charm and classic designs that have been modernized just enough to be fresh and fun.
52. :pc: Dementium II HD*
Not a good game. The atmosphere and creature designs are decent, but the combat/movement is janky and the "HD" part of this is kind of limited. It's also got a lot of bugs that made playing through it a chore.
53. :pc: Blood Knights
Janky ARPG. Terribad cutscenes/acting/story... but once you get the hang of the combat mechanics, it's actually kind of fun.
54. :pc: The Room*
Great set of puzzles, tho sometimes it's obvious that it was an iOS game; some clues can be extremely obvious, some can be extremely obtuse because you're not using a touch interface, and sometimes the "use" of items can be irritating if you don't hold the mouse over the exact area that's designated. But it looks great, has just enough story, and the puzzles are good at the core.
55. :pc Halo: Spartan Assault
The best Halo game I have ever played.
56. :pc: Borderlands 2
Beat this on 360 in 2012, I think. This time I played most of the game co-op with another GAFer and rocked a Mechromancer. She's now a higher level than my original Assassin and my buddy and I are going to tackle the DLC next.
57. :pc: The Walking Dead: Season 2*
Not as good as season 1. But it had some good moments. It will be interesting to see how they reconcile the split endings if/when season 3 arrives.
58. :pc: Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep
Quality DLC. Good humour, nice references, actually a bit deep on some level watching Tina deal with the aftermath of the events of Borderlands 2.
59. :pc: Murdered: Soul Suspect*
Excellent occult adventure game. Loved the third person movement and the whole "investigation" aspect. Collecting lore was good too, in particular the ghost stories you could piece together and then listen to. It has a bunch of flaws (sometimes the answer might be super obvoius, sometimes you could argue certain clues also fit the questions, sometimes certain clues won't pop up until certain triggers are met and then it's kinda obscure to find them afterwards... but overall I had a good time with the game and really liked the story, especially the ending.
60. :vita: Stick it to the Man*
An okay adventure game with some interesting concepts... however, no puzzle is really overly complex and the forced platforming at times feels a bit clunky. For me the humour didn't really resonate either, so I didn't enjoy it as much as someone who found the dialogue humourous might have...
61. :pc: The Witcher
This game has aged amazingly well. One down, one to go before February 2015.
62. :pc: Costume Quest : Grubbins on Ice*
Well done DLC... not sure what it ran originally, but it was worthwhile to get me in the mood for the sequel next month. Nice that I didn't have to complete the original game again since my original playthrough was on PS3 and thus I wouldn't have had a save file from the end-game of the original.
63. :vita: Thomas Was Alone*
Counting this again, as I just played through it from start to finish for the 2nd time this year (but on Vita this time). Turned the Narration off and did a speed run while getting all trophies. It's considerably easier the second time around... either that or it's just better suited for Vita. For some reason I couldn't stop thinking of that Adventure Time episode with "I FRICKIN' HATE TRUDY!" and laughed for a good amount of my playthrough.
64. :pc: Bioshock Infinite
AMAZINGLY MAGNIFICENT. If it came out this year, it'd be in my top 5 GOTY contenders. It looks great, it plays great, and the story is mind-blowingly fantastic.
65. :pc: Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode 1*
Well done story driven DLC. I liked the new plasmids and returning to rapture blew my mind.
66. :pc: Gauntlet
A very interesting remake of the original quarter muncher. Only a few stages left before my first run through with the wizard is completed.
67. :pc: Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode 2*
Picks up where the first episode leaves off; I elected to do a 100% of achievements in 1 run, so I played 1998 mode, which was a real change up. Metal Gear Infinite was a pretty good time.
68. :pc: Neverending Nightmares*
Repetitive dumpster fire. I should've stayed away after seeing it was the dev who made Retro/Grade, but I was genuinely interested in finding something relateable within the dev's attempt to convey his experiences with OCD and Depression...
69. :pc: Jazzpunk*
Very strange. Definitely more of an experience than a game for me... but it had some funny moments.
70. :pc: PAYDAY 2
At 400+ hours this year, sitting at V-100 (max level), and having gotten 204/230 achievements including those which are for completing all heists on hard/very hard/overkill, I'm considering this completed in terms of a "finished" game. Robbin' and stealin'. All about that robbin' and stealin'.
71. :pc: Sakura Spirit
Waifus! Needs mah waifus!
72. :pc: :vita: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Quality title. Wonderful rogue-like combined with run & gun gameplay (I kind of wish attacking worked in 8 directions like a twin stick setup). Beaten (at least in terms of a complete run) on both PC and Vita.
73. :pc: Shan Gui
Seems sort of standard in the vein of short Visual Novels. I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't let down either. Not a lot of artwork, but it's solid... and the story is pretty good at it's core.
74. :pc: Never Alone
Solid platforming title with a really cool story based on the Eskimo culture and history. I really enjoyed listening to the vignettes about the Eskimo people and the way they view the world and survive as a culture.
75. :pc: Battleblock Theater
Great co-op experience, even if it can get a bit frustrating at times if you're not playing in the same room or using some sort of voice chat. Solid puzzle platformer from The Behemoth.
76. :pc: The Evil Within
In a lot of ways, this is RE4-2. And it's fantastic. And It's my GOTY.
77. :pc: Kings of Kung Fu
Janky (but enjoyable somehow) EA fighting game that has visuals reminiscent of MK crossed with Pit Fighter.
78. :pc Dark Souls
Steamworks yay! I didn't do a 100% run on Steamworks, as I'd Platinumed it at release on PS3... but I'd never played the DLC content before... so I did a full playthrough and went and focused on all the DLC goodness I missed before. Man these games... they're just magic somehow. I dumped another 50 hours into a souls game it seems. Bring on Bloodborne... and while I'm on the subject, I'd probably kill for a remake of Demon's Souls on PS4.

Goal achieved August 2014.
Running Total: 78

Toki767

I'll try to do this. Not sure how long I'll last though.

Game 1: DmC - 9 hours
Fun game. Really didn't need to be Devil May Cry though. Felt like a spiritual successor to Heavenly Sword gameplay wise lol

Game 2: Catherine - 9 hours and 20 minutes
Some of the puzzles were stupidly hard for some reason, even if the solutions ended up being fairly simple. Made you feel pretty smart climbing those towers though. Cell shading looked great. I hope Persona 5 looks this way.

Game 3: ICO - 4 hours 8 minutes and 43 seconds
Great game. Sad I didn't play this sooner honestly.

Game 4: Shadow of the Colossus - 6 hours and 41 minutes
11 Colossi down, 5 to go. Been really awesome so far. Every fight has been super memorable and different enough in their own way. I do think I prefer ICO though since it had much more charm.

Game #5: God of War: Ghost of Sparta - 6 hours
Great game. Might be the second best God of War game ever. It flowed really well.

Game #6: Saints Row IV - 12 hours
Pretty fun game. Felt like an expansion to SR3, but the superpowers were cool to play with. Thanks a lot free Steam weekend.

Game #7: Thomas Was Alone - 3 hours
Bought this for $2.50 and finished it in one sitting, but it was quite fun.

Game #8: Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons - 4 hours
Good game. I liked it, but it felt a little overhyped. Felt a little too much like I was fighting the controls. I also felt like the older brother was a jerk.

Game #9: Long Live the Queen - 3 hours
This was a really addicting game, but it was pretty challenging trying to figure out how to not get your Princess killed. It was mostly trial and error though. Might be one of those games I'll go back to play more just to see different paths.

Game #10: Papers, Please - 4 hours
You wouldn't think a game about looking over documents for errors and stuff would be interesting or fun, but it is. This was a really well done game.

Game #11: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - 10 hours
I really enjoyed this game. Probably Ninja Theory's best game. Easily liked it better than Heavenly Sword and DmC. Shame it sold worse than those two.

Game 12 - Deadpool - 7 hours
It was alright I guess. Feels like the running gag about using up the game's budget was what happened in real life. Nothing was great, or even good, just serviceable.

Game 13 - Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System - 51 hours
My first of probably many long games of the year. I'm not sure what to make of this game since it was the only post 16-bit era Final Fantasy game I didn't play. This game felt more next-gen than Final Fantasy XIII. It also felt like a lot of little things were lacking, probably since I hear they ended up rushing things. Also don't know why Vaan was even in the game let alone be considered the main character.

Game 14: inFAMOUS Second Son - 10 hours
Probably the prettiest looking console game I've played so far. It was also very fun, but still the same formula as previous games. Played the good and evil storylines and platinumed the game. Hopefully Sucker Punch work on expanding sidequests next time.

Game 15: Hatsune Miku Project Diva f - 25 hours
I haven't really played a rhythm game since Elite Beat Agents. This one was really fun though. Lots of catchy songs. Even ended up getting the platinum trophy for this.

Game 16: Ys: Memories of Celceta - 16 hours
Really fun game. Fantastic soundtrack. Most of the characters were fairly likeable too.

Game 17: Stick it to the Man - 5 hours
Free on PS+. It was entertaining for what it was. Not super great, but serviceable.

Game 18: Hotline Miami - 6 hours
I had been meaning to play this game for so long after giving up on the PC version. Played it on my Vita and really enjoyed it. Perfect pick up and play game really.

Game 19: Bastion - 5 hours
I know a lot of people enjoyed this game, but I found it to be kind of boring. It was charming, but really boring.

Game 20: Street Fighter x Tekken - 4 hours
I actually liked this game, even though I wrote it off completely when it first came out. It doesn't feel as deep as Street Fighter 4, but it's in between the Street Fighter series and Marvel vs Capcom series.

Game 21: LEGO Marvel - 12 hours
I really enjoyed this game. Amazingly this game is like the best Avengers/Iron Man/Fantastic Four/maybe even Spider-man game released in a long time if not ever. I like that they treat this game as kind of a supplement to the Marvel movie universe. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of variety in gameplay. I feel like LEGO Batman 2 did that better.

Game 22: Watch Dogs - 17 hours
Game was fun. It wasn't the greatest game in the world and it did fall into the usual Ubisoft open world game trappings, but it was still fun. The hacking stuff was great. Gunplay was actually pretty good for an open world game. Driving was fine once you got used to it.

Game 23: Pushmo - 15 hours
I played this briefly a year ago but starting playing this again with Pushmo World coming out soon. This game is so great. Simple yet challenging puzzle game that really uses the 3D on the 3DS well. Plus you can make your own puzzles which is cool. One of the best games on the eShop for sure.

Game 24: PixelJunk Shooter - 4 hours
I thought this game was okay. I was kind of expecting more considering I've heard so many good things about this game, but it was kind of boring aside from the fun of playing with the different liquids. The boss battles were cool, but the stages weren't that great.

Game 25: Trine 2 - 7 hours
This is one beautiful looking game. Fairly fun too, though I'm sure it would have been more fun if I had played with someone else.

Game 26: New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 10 hours
This Mario game was kind of disappointing, but that is probably because I played this after already finishing New Super Mario Bros. U which felt way more inspired than this one. The collect a bunch of coins thing never really felt like it meant anything.

Game 27: Flower - 3 hours
This game looks more gorgeous than I remember. Played it on PS4 and it was really beautiful.

Game 28: The Stanley Parable - 1 hour
This game was shorter than 1 hour for the actual intended story, but I did try to mess around and go on divergent paths as much as possible. The narrator was humorous at times, but this game felt overrated.

Game 29: Gunpoint - 2 hours
I really enjoyed this. It's a shame that it wasn't longer. It was really quite different and refreshing.

Game 30: Batman: Arkham Origins - 9 hours
Thought the game was fairly decent. The story got interesting after a while, but it was very much more of the same as Arkham City. Not that there is anything really wrong with that.

Game 31: Mutant Mudds Deluxe - 3 hours
This was a fun little game. Some challenge but nothing overly difficult.

Game 32: Shovel Knight - 4 hours
I loved this game. Great mix of Mega Man, Ducktales, Castlevania, and a bunch of other games. The music was incredible and everything about it was enjoyable.

Game 33: Astebreed - 4 hours
This was a really fun game. Like the Gundam game I never knew I wanted. The final boss though was a buzzkill, but pretty rewarding when I beat it.

Game 34: SteamWorld Dig - 3 hours
Fun game, though pretty short. I feel like it could have used more than one boss battle though.

Game 35: Valiant Hearts - 4 hours
I liked this game a lot. The story for a World War 1 game was taken with a lot of seriousness and it was less about killing a bunch of guys and more about actually surviving through a war. The puzzle elements weren't difficult, but some were pretty clever. Overall a really enjoyable experience.

Game 36: Injustice: Gods Among Us - 3 hours
I gotta say, the story was pretty enjoyable. Actually more enjoyable than MK9's story mode, maybe cause DC characters are just way more interesting. The combat was kind of hit or miss though. It felt like Mortal Kombat, but it didn't really feel like it at the same time. It's not the deepest fighter or anything but it is just fun for the most part.

Game 37: Strider - 4 hours
I was kind of disappointed in this. The game felt like it had no personality and thereby just felt boring. The gameplay itself was perfectly fine though.

Game 38: Rogue Legacy - 7 hours
Originally played this on PC last year but never finished. Picked it up when it came out on the Vita and managed to make it to the end. I had a lot of fun with this game. This and Shovel Knight are 2D games done right with a new twist. Would definitely consider a New Game+ run if I wasn't trying to finish 52 games this year.

Game 39: Metrico - 3 hours
I enjoyed the first 3...maybe 4 levels. Once they started requiring the Vita's camera to do puzzles though...that was really annoying. Most of the puzzles felt very rewarding to figure out though.

Game 40: Sine Mora - 2 hours
It was pretty decent. Not super bullethell-ish but not too easy either. I had no clue what was going on in the story though.

Game 41: CounterSpy - 3 hours
This was a fun game. Disappointed that it was pretty short. Not overly deep but enjoyable just due to it feeling like a spy game.

Game 42: Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition - 25 hours
So much fun. The original Diablo III sucked so bad compared to this version. Got a Demon Hunter to level 70 and did some of the higher tier rifts.

Game 43: Destiny - 40 hours
The gameplay is good and everything else seriously needs work, but I still find it pretty addicting.

Game 44: Theatrhythm: Curtain Call - 30 hours+
This is the game I really wanted the original to be. Everything feels better and it's still really fun to play.

Game 45: inFAMOUS First Light - 4 hours
Fun game. Playing as Fetch was a nice change. Neon's still probably the best power so it was nice that they kind of built on that.

Game 46: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS - 20 hours
It's kind of surprising that they could fit an entire Smash Bros. game on the 3DS, but they did. It was fun, but I'm probably going to play more on the Wii U since it is probably going to be the superior experience.

Game 47: The Legend of Korra - 4 hours
I really enjoyed this game. It has its flaws, but the combat was pretty great all things considered. Having fully powered bending is really amazing for the fights.

Game 48: Bayonetta - 10 hours
I can definitely see why this game was so highly praised. The combat is practically flawless and the game in general was really great. The over the top nature of the game was done just right I think.

Game 49: Sunset Overdrive - 10 hours
I really enjoyed the gameplay. It was really just good fun overall. The humor was very hit or miss (I felt like they were trying too hard in many cases), and the tower defense missions or whatever they were were annoying, but everything else was highly enjoyable.

Game 50: Bayonetta 2 - 10 hours
Loved this game. Everything the first one was, but much tighter overall and much more enjoyable to play. Very happy Nintendo rescued this game.

Game 51: Halo: Combat Evolved - 7 hours
I don't know how to feel about this game. I was kind of very unimpressed as this was the first time playing a Halo campaign. I liked the actual gameplay, but the missions were pretty dull and boring. It also didn't help that after hearing so much about how Halo is supposed to have this incredibly deep story and lore, I couldn't hear half the things people were saying because whoever made the Anniversary edition in their infinite wisdom made it so that music was like 10x louder than the sound of people's voices. Overall I'd say it was solid, but unfulfilling and overall has not aged very well.

Game 52: Dragon Age Inquisition - 43 hours
This was a really great game. It was a massive world with lots to do (even if I didn't want to do everything) and it was great to see a lot of the returning characters. It really made me have more faith in Bioware after Mass Effect 3. I only really just wish the main story was longer as it was honestly fairly short in retrospect.

MrDaravon

Game 5: Dungeon Siege III ~9:30 to beat on Normal
# Game is the definition of clunky in all respects, from menus to combat to the story. Also it is shockingly short at under 10 hours; I got this for ~$6 and it's okay at that price, but just barely.

Updated post here. Still working on Zelda ALBW here and there, honestly not sure what I'm going to start next, I was expecting Dungeon Siege to be at least twice as long as it was >_>

maty

Games 1-49

Game 1: The Swapper - 7 hours
Beautiful game, great atmosphere and puzzles.

Game 2: To the Moon - 5 hours
Lovely story, even if there is barely any gameplay the story was enough to keep me glued to the chair until finished it.

Game 3: Freedom Fall - 8 hours
You play as a boy who was imprisoned in a tower and is trying to escape.. This platformer consists of 12 levels in which to escape you need to go down avoiding traps, spikes, electrified elements, anything that could kill you until you reach the exit. Along the way you collect cogs which work as currency to buy tools to help get to the exit faster and easier, like a wings to double jump, a board to hover for while and a parachute.The game is not bad, but the hit detection is not the best, if the controls felt along the lines of Spelunky it could have been much better. It is also quite short and can be finished 1-2 hours or less if you speedrun. On the good side the game has leaderboards which take into account deaths, time and cogs to make a score at the end of each level, giving Freedom Fall a little more replayability. And if you want to see the 3 endings you 3 times, replaying the last stage won't do it. UPDATE: A new hard mode was added with extra levels. Also done.

Game 4: Rogue Legacy - 40 hours
Comments here

Game 5: Mark of the Ninja - Special Ediction DLC + NG+ - 12 hours
New level added as well as new items and playstyle. Replayed the game for a 3rd time. Excellent action-stealth game. Fantastic aesthetics, tight controls. Incredible game all around.

Game 6: Hexcells - 4 hours
Great logic puzzle game, a more challenging minesweeper

Game 7: Hexcells Plus - 10 hours
Expansion from above, more levels and challenging puzzles.

Game 8 : Super Sanctum TD - 32 hours
Fun retro-styled tower defense game. Nothing new but well done.

Game 9: Escape Goat 2 - 11 hours
Great sequel to an excellent puzzle platformer, The Goat and Magic Mouse return as they try to escape hundred of rooms of puzzles. Not only does the game have a new artstyle but it also brings new items to help you get through each room. Some require wits to complete while others require more platforming skills. EG2 comes with extra secret levels (some very hard to find) which can be accessed through a secret door in certain rooms. These provide an extra challenge like the 2nd campaign in the 1st game.

Game 10:Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan - 3 hours
The game is quite bad and very buggy, controls are slow and unresponsive, audio is horrible, visuals are a hit and miss, etc. It looked like it could be similar to Bastion but besides the camera perspective there isn't much in common.
The combat comes down to stunning enemy, attacking and rolling back, rinse and repeat. The Arena mode is super tedious unlike Bastion challenges. Since there aren't many types of monsters, it introduces enemies with different colors which are basically the same but they just take longer to kill. :/

Game 11: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - 32 hours and counting
3D Action adventure take on Casltevania. Similar in gameplay mechanics to the God of War games. Being this my introduction to Castlevania and a fan of GOW, I really enjoyed it. Even though the controls took some time to get used to, in the end they worked quite well.
Replaying the game on hard as I collect all missing items.

Game 12: Goat Simulator - 10.5 hours
Not much to say, you control a goat and do stupid shit. Fun game

Game 13: Type: Rider - 4 hours
Short platformer where you play as 2 dots exploring levels and uncovering the history of the Fonts and Characters. Each level has a different syle to reflect each font. As an educational game is quite nice and reading through the notes is really interesting but the game part is not the best mostly because of the controls which can make you rage a few times.

Game 14:The Bridge - 8 hours
Good and challenging puzzle game in which you can move your character only left and right but you can turn the rotate the level as you please. The game has 4 normal worlds and 4 mirror worlds with 6 levels each. In these you need to collect a key and then get out through the locked door. Of course to get out you need to dechiper the best way to get that key without falling of the map or dying by touching somehting that kills you. The game aslo has a rewind mechanic if you make a mistake. Great artstyle.

Game 15: Castle of Illusion - 4.6 hours
Reimagining of the Sega Genesis classic. Simple and easy platformer. Probably a great game for kids.

Game 16: Batman Arkham City - 36 hours
Batman returns with new toys and new set of moves. Even if I prefer AA world design, AC is a huge improvement in the gameplay department. Highly recommended.
Beat the maain story and dlc, still going through the combat challenges.

Game 17: FEZ - 12 hours
One of the best games I've played, from the puzzles to visuals and music, just amazing. I completed the game without the use of a guide but for 3-4 puzzles which were too obscure, which makes it even more rewarding for me. At first it seemed like a simple platformer but once I got into the world and understood how it worked I knew I was getting into something special.

Game 18 Strike Suit Zero
Beautiful space combat game, a little short which works in it's favor since there is not much variety in the missions. The controls work well though you end up spamming the same attacks over and over. The story.. well, I don't remember what happened.

Game 19: Bad Bots - 6 hours
The game is quite monotonous, mostly because enemy variety is lacking. There are no challenging platforming sections to change the pace a bit, it's all about destroying robots.
You have 2 weapons at your disposal but only your secondary weapon can be changed for others you find along the way.
In the beginning I found the game quite easy in medium difficulty but nearing the end you get several (consecutive) rooms that you can not leave until you defeat every bot which are a pain in the ass, especially when you get to the robots with knives. Not only there are too many robots but if you get stuck between them you are done.

Game 20: Chompy Chomp Chomp - 3 hours
Time waster. Has 3 modes, competitive, coop and sp. Your objective each all bugs/thing in the screen while changing your character color to match them. Once you go through the 20 maps you go back to the beginning and continue from there. Coop consists of the same maps but each character can eat a specific bug. Nothing more to it.

Game 21: Grimind - 5 hours
Simple 2D, physics based platform game. Good creepy atmoshpere

Game 22: Explodemon - 7 hours
Homage to SNES-era platformers. You control a megaman-like character who does not shoot but creates explosions. As you try to save the world you use your power not only to defeat the enemy but to solve puzzles.

Game 23: Lyne - 22 hours
Relaxing puzzle game where you have to connect the dots(or shapes in this case). The game has 26 sets of 25 puzzles each plus daily challenges which could be 1 to 3 complete sets of 25 puzzles as well. As you go further, new sets are unlocked and levels get bigger, more complicated and shapes with different colors are introduced.

Game 24: Akane the Kunoichi - 3 hours
The game looks uninspired, the controls are horrible and the level design is abysmal. Basically it's shit. The game has the worst wall jumping in any platformer, probably the worst platforming for that matter. Being a ninja game I would expect something faster instead I got a something slow and unresponsive.

Game 25: T.E.C. 3001 - 9 hours
Fun 3D runner platfomer. Recommended for people who enjoy games like Bit Trip Runner or Race the Sun.

Game 26: Ducktales Remastered - 14 hours
Great remaster of a classic platformer. Just wish the the game was all remade in 2D instead of just the characters.

Game 27: Thomas was alone - 3.5 hours
Minimalist 2D platformer about friendship. Simple but very well done. Very relaxing.

Game 28: Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut - 3 hours
Another cool 1st person puzzle game. This new DC adds a story and an extra secret room. For those who liked Portal

Game 29: Poof - 9 hours
Mixture of platformer with tower defense. You are dog and have to stop the other creatures from reaching a cat.The game consists of basically 1 map but to beat it you need to complete 3 objectives once they are done they change for something a little more difficult and so on. Also as you progress you unlock more items to use against the horde of enemies. Fun but a repetitive. The controls are good.

Game 30: Hexcells Infinite - 10 hours
If you liked the previous 2 don't miss this one. The game has 6 worlds of puzzles again but it now brings a puzzle generetor to keep you playing for a long time.

Game 31: Cogs - 17 hours
Great sliding tile puzzle game. Puzzles start off on one plane but quickly get 3 dimensional with many surfaces for you to work on. Challenging and rewarding.

Game 32: Volgarr the Viking - 15 hours
Classic 2D hardcore arcade action. At first it seems imposible to beat but once you start to get the hang of it, the game just clicks and with a little of practice and pattern learning you can beat it in minutes. The visual and music are awesome.
7 worlds with an alternate path only accessed if you are good enough, 3 endings. This game will grab you and not let you go.

Game 33: Ichi - 4 hours
Ichi is a puzzle game that relies on a single touch to interact with the various mechanics within levels, with the goal being to bounce your ball around the screen collecting all the dots without getting hit by spikes. Your grade is also based on how many clicks you did and there comes the challenge. It has 60 levels but the inclusion of a level editor for you to try and make one or try the hundreds of user generated levels, some very good. Unfortunately due to some achievements people spam empty levels to collect points.

Game 34: Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - 9 hours
Hell Yeah! started of as a humorous action platformer but sadly grew repetitive quickly. Your main objective is to hunt monsters scattered around the 9 different worlds. Once you find them and deal enough damage you will engage in a mini game to finally kill them. At frist they are fun but after a while this minigames start to repeat often, making it a little tedious. To hunt every monster you'll need to backtrack quite a bit since accessing some areas requite abilities you'll learn as you advance in the game. The platforming is ok, played it with a X360 controller which makes harder than playing with a keyboard or so I read.

Game 35: Neverending Nightmares - 3 hours
The game is inspired by the thoughts that have plagued developer Matt Gilgenbach (creator of Retro/Grade) as a result of his battle with mental illness. You play as Thomas who wakes up from a nightmare only to realize he is still dreaming. From there you begin to explore different environments looking for answers wondering if what's happening is real o not, going deeper into Thomas' mind while everything gets creepier.
Unfortunately I can not recommend this game to everyone, especially if you are looking for a more gamey experience. The gameplay is just walking around from 1 room or hallway to another until you get to the end of each section. There is no combat, only a few light stealth and running from the enemy parts but most of the time you will be walking and slowly. There is a sprint mechanic but your character gets tired quickly.
This can get quite repetitive since more than once you will go through the same or slightly different rooms. Some of which do not serve any purpose and you will leave them as soon as you realize you are in one of those since there's very little to none object interactivity.
The visual and audio design as well as the music are great and do a good job in creating a tense atmosphere. And some of the visions and imagery you experience in Neverending Nightmares is really disturbing. The voice acting is good.

Game 36: Fly'n - 26 hours
You control 4 "buds" across 5 different worlds. In each world a new bud is introduced with new abilities like sticking to walls or bouncing. Not only do you need to master these to get to the end but your also need to use your ability to switch between light and dark world to make platforms as well as some collectibles appear and disappear. Finishing the game is not super hard but collecting everything will provide a nice challenge.
The art and music are great, if you enjoy games like Rayman you'll probably like this.

Game 37: Mechanic Escape - 6 hours
Mechanic Escape is a fast paced platformer with beautiful art. Even though the game is quite trial and error it is not frustrating since all levels can be beat in less than a minute. Getting to the end is not difficult but grabbing all collectibles will be more challenging. Similar to Rayman Origins, it all comes down to momentum and perfecting the optimal path.

Game 38: Another perspective - 5 hours
Cool little puzzle platformer. The game consists of a series of rooms where you need grab a key to unlock the door to exit. To do that you'll have to use 2 or more characters in different planes and place them in strategic places to be used as platforms to reach your goal. lRecommended for those who liked the Swapper and Braid. The game can be finished in 1 1/2 - 2 hours, including the mystery mode and replaying the game to get the a new ending. There is also a speedrun achievement that will at least double that time.

Game 39: 1000 Amps - 7 hours

Game 40: Strata - 7 hours

Game 41: Out There Somewhere - 6 hours

Game 42: Toki Tori 2+ - 28 hours

Game 43: They Breathe - 2 hours

Game 44: The Room - 3 hours

Game 45: Braveland - 7 hours

Game 46: The Binding of Isaac - 160 hours

Game 47: Never Alone - 3 hours

Game 48: Shovel Knight - 19 hours

Game 49: BIT.TRIP FLUX - 2 hours

Titch1211

Banned
Think I only properly finished 15 games in 2013. Have a good 30-40 games in my backlog so I think I'll start there and aim to at least double last years score. Guess I better crack on since I'm already a week behind!

Game 1: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Finished January 10th

Game 2: Fire Emblem: Awakening - 22 Hours, Finished January 15th

Game 3: Dark Souls - 30 Hours, Finished January 23rd

Haven't given up on this I've got a lot of games nearly done at the moment, finished a few recently too...

Game 4: Outlast - Finished February 25th

Game 5: Dragons Dogma - Finished March 4th

Game 6: Batman Arkham city - Finished Finished March 8th

Game 7: Resistance 3 - Finished March 11th

Game 8: Resogun - Finished March 12th

Really close to finishing Super Mario 3D World and Killzone SF, but I think Dark Souls 2 is about to put everything else on hold.

Game 9: Dark Souls II - Finished March 18th (48 hours) - Definitely the most satisfying of the year, credits are still rolling now. Bloody hell, what a ride that was.

Game 10: Pokemon Platinum - Finished March 23rd

Game 11: Pokemon White - Finished March 28th

Game 12: Pokemon X - April 10th

Game 13: Killzone Shadow Fall - April 22nd

Hit a major slump here which has killed the little momentum I had left after Dark Souls II

Game 14: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - July 14th

Game 15: Assassins Creed II - July 17th - Platinum

Game 16: Infamous: Second Son - July 30th - Platinum

Game 17: Batman: Arkham Asylum - August 14th - Platinum

Wensih

I'm halfway through Tomb Raider (2013). It's pretty neat, but I don't really feel strongly in one way or another about it. I think it's cool you can back track and open up new areas with new equipment you find, but there's just no sense of urgency in the combat after playing The Last of Us. I think The Last of Us has really ruined cinematic action games for me because of how well crafted it is. The regenerating health in most modern games in this genre have really made me numb to the fact that a savage is running at me with a pick-axe. The story is also shit, voice acting is meh, and there's something about Laura's animation that is off to me. The bow is fun as hell to use though. I'm thinking I'll be finishing the story by the end of the week.

KazeDancer

Neo Member
Challenge accepted

Game The Walking Dead S1 - Dec 9th- Jan 1st
Been dragging ass on this and finally finished it on New Years Day

Game 2: NAME - DURATION PLAYED
# INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE

Game 3: NAME - DURATION PLAYED
# INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE

hutna

I'm in! Making a tumblr blog of my progress. Going to only play cartridge games (or virtual console/PSN/XBLA releases of cartridge games; no remakes): 52 Carts.

Game 1 : The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons - 17 hours
See notes for Ages; my comments are applicable to both games.

Game 2 : The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages - 17 hours
I did a linked game starting with Seasons then moving on to Ages. From what I can tell my opinion is somewhat contrarian and probably in the minority, but as far as Zelda games go I think that Capcom's contributions to the series hurt the games. The basic Zelda formula is what saves these games and keeps them as "Great" instead of "Good." Specifically Flagship's over world is way to busy and the requirements to enter each dungeon too numerous. I felt this problem in The Minish Cap as well when I played it many years ago. Having to do a fetch quest, find a secret item, talk to just the right NPCs, complete a puzzle using whatever mechanic is unique to the game (changing seasons/time/size) to find the key then find the entrance to the dungeon itself is just too much to do before delving into the dungeons (which should be the meat of a Zelda game IMO). They don't really serve to help the exploration elements because they are so specific in their requirements and linear in their implementation. I still liked the games a lot and found them to be highly competent action RPGs for the Gameboy Color; the combat in the games is remarkable when compared to other games on the console and the items are very creative and fun to use (this is where I think Flagship did a great job). The puzzles less so (where I think Flagship did less well).

fruiteater

Neo Member
Game 1: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 18 h 25m completed
11 deaths 16 000 rupees collected - completed. Amazing game. Hero Mode next

Game 2: Bravely default - 12 h
Awsome so far

Game 3: Kerbal Space Program - 5 hours+
Managed manned landings on the mun and minmus, probes in orbit at jool, and one dead i space moving towards moho. I will consider the game "completed" when ive landed atleast 1 kerbal at each celestial body.

Game 4: Broken Age Act 1 3.5 h completed
Visuals just wow...

Game 5: Niddhogg - 30 min completed

Fugu

I'm not going to include hours because I'm not really keeping track, but I'll describe completion. I'm also only going to count single-player games with a definite beginning and end, as otherwise the game would be dominated by multiplayer titles.

COMPLETE
Game #1 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Completed Jan 4th
A bit of a letdown due to my high expectations but highly enjoyable nonetheless. I am simultaneously amazed at the sheer balls involved in the
abrupt, false ending
and disappointed at the somewhat weak combat and lack of weapon variety. I probably wouldn't play through this again but I'm glad I went through the one time.

Game #2 - Klax - Completed Jan 3rd
This is basically the only videogame my mother will play and one that I went a good twenty years without playing. In retrospect, I can't imagine why, as it's one of the most unique and challenging puzzle games out there. I ended up getting totally hooked on it after playing it on a whim with my friend and going through the whole thing after consuming a wholly unacceptable amount of credits. I definitely intend to get better at this one.

Game #3 - VVVVVV - Completed Jan 7th
Really, really great game. I sat down and beat this game over the course of an afternoon and really loved it. The highlight of the game was definitely Doing Things the Hard Way, as well as the Gravitron and most of the end of the game. The only real weak point is the oddly slippery movement reminiscent of Little Big Planet, as well as the unconvincing spike hurtbox. The overworld is kind of lame as well and I would have preferred a straight-ahead platformer with no interruptions between levels but considering it amounts to maybe five extra minutes of gameplay I won't complain too much. I can definitely see myself replaying this in the near future.

Game #4 - Hotline Miami (PC) - Completed Jan 13th
BE WARNED: SPOILERS AHEAD.

Holy shit. I disliked this game so much that it is, now that I'm done, difficult to comprehend how I ever convinced myself to get through it. "Disliked" isn't even the right word -- when I found out that there was more game after the credits, I was actually angry, angry that I wasn't done and had to force myself through more of this terrible game. This is possibly the worst game that I've actually finished; although this may seem like hyperbole, it is worth noting that I generally don't finish games that I dislike this much so it is, as far as I can remember, an accurate statement.

SPOILERS END.

What bothered me so intensely about this game is just how inconsistent it was considering it was built entirely around trial and error. Doors don't quite work correctly, hitboxes aren't where they should be, weapons fire randomly, guards awaken and react on some occasions but not others. I found myself praying for the inconsistencies to work in my favor rather than putting any actual effort into approaching the levels logically and skillfully, for I knew there was a pretty good chance that if I did, my patience would simply be punished due to an unruly door or a stray bullet. I also can't count how many times I picked up an unloaded gun or melee weapon instead of a pristine assault rifle that happened to land inches away because the game gives you no indication of what nearby weapon you're going to pick up until you actually get it.

I also have a bone to pick with many of the game's design decisions, but the one that stands out the most is the fact that downed enemies are effectively invulnerable unless you single them out and utilize an attack that leaves you visible and helpless for its entire duration (not to mention leaving you unarmed). And, since these enemies lock into their behavior instantly once they get back up and kill you in one hit, it results in a strange metagame where knocking opponents down is, in many situations, more dangerous than actually killing them and introduces the annoying variable of how you have to manage them when they get back up.

There are many things about the game I liked and all of them come down to peripheral art. The music is excellent, as is the story. The game's visuals are... alright but scream "budget constraints" louder than they do in any other low-budget indie game I've played. However, none of these great qualities really permeate into the gameplay. I will happily never play this game again.

Game #5 - Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon - Completed Jan 28th
(For anyone with experience with Quake/this mission pack, I played on Nightmare). I'm a really big fan of the original Quake. In particular, I love its single-player and I play it all the time, maybe moreso than any other single-player game these days. I will assuredly not be playing this again. It wasn't that bad, but compared to the official maps -- and compared to the quality of fan-made maps -- it just feels a little lazy: there are vores everywhere, the new enemies don't add anything to the game, and the addition of instant death pits is, quite frankly, embarrassing. There are other cheap deaths too, like the time I was killed by a poorly animated rock that had fallen on me from above with no warning. The new items don't make the game worse (the enemies sure do) but they don't really add anything either. Does anyone really need a dumb "ally" that is likely to be confined to the room you spawned him in? Was there really demand for a biosuit that only worked in water?

Honestly, much of this seems to come down to a development team that had good ideas but no clue how to implement them. There are elements of this in all of the aforementioned things, but there are also strange quirks like elevators that deal damage but default to the up position and one particularly long lift that doesn't return to its start point without a button toggle, forcing the player to wait over a minute for each trip across the map; they should have noticed (and corrected) these things in map testing. What I will say to their credit, however, is the surprisingly large amount of content in this. I didn't find any of the secret levels and it still took me several hours to beat it, which is about how long Quake takes. And it is ultimately Quake, so to say that I did not enjoy myself would be false. However, I see no reason to pay for this when the default levels are worlds better and a large number of excellent fan content exists, too.

Game #6: Final Fight 2 (Super Famicom) - Completed July 19th
Pretty fun beat-em-up. Not too remarkable and in fact probably a little bit inferior to its contemporaries that I've played but had a very satisfying feel to it, and the co-op was rather enjoyable. From the outset, I'd decided that I was going to try and exploit the combo system as much as I possibly could (as I do with every game in the subgenre) and it ended up being a blast. I probably wouldn't play this again, but I'm certainly going to check out the sequels.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is gonna be fun! I'm in, space reserved!

theaface

I'm up for this. Here's mine so far...

GAMES COMPLETED: 42

Game 1: KNACK (PS4) - 20 Hours
Picked this up after completing the SP of Killzone: Shadow Fall, and then trading it in. This game is far better than some of the reviews suggest. It's pretty, it's polished, and the enemy variety is great. The shortcomings are obvious - lacklustre characters and story, and simplistic gameplay mechanics, but as a launch title and new IP I thought it was decent. It kept me interested long enough to get the Platinum trophy, at least!

Game 2: OUTLAND (PS3) - 10 Hours
Finally got round to playing this after picking it up on PS+ yonks ago. Quite simply a very solid 2D platformer. It's made by Housemarque who, after the excellent Dead Nation and Resogun games, are fast becoming a favourite developer of mine.

Game 3: TEARAWAY (PS Vita) - 10 Hours
The first game I played for my new PS Vita. It oozes charm and likability from every pore, and truly makes good use of the Vita's varied control methods. Only complaint is it's short length and relative lack of replayability after all trophies have been earnt, but it's a game that every Vita owner should own or at least play.

Game 4: METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER (PS Vita) - 14 Hours
I'd never played this game despite hearing so much about it, so with my trusty new Vita and PS+ backlog, I decided to take the plunge. Like other Kojima games (in my opinion), it's a real mix of staggering innovation and originality on one hand, and some utterly baffling/bad design choices on the other. For example, the boss battles are varied and excellent, yet the dialogue and cut scenes (in typical MGS fashion) are laborious and overly long. All in all though, I'm very glad to have finally played and completed it.

Game 5: UNCHARTED: GOLDEN ABYSS (PS Vita) - 20 Hours
Next up was PS+ freebie Uncharted: Golden Abyss for the Vita. Viewed on its own merits, it's a fun little game and a very strong launch title, but compared against the other Uncharted titles it does feel like a fairly tepid imitation. There's some nice use of Vita features, with special mention of the gyro aimings which works especially well. The use of QTE swiping gestures for boss battles is distinctly lousy, however. Played through to platinum trophy completion, making that a full house for the Uncharted series so far.

Game 6: UNIT 13 (PS Vita) - 25 Hours
In continuation of the PS+ backlog running theme developing, I decided to play through Zipper's last game, third person shooter Unit 13. All told, it's what I would consider a solid 7/10 kind of game. Everything runs smoothly, the bite-sized missions are perfect for gaming-on-the-go, and the slick efficiency of lining up headshots and popping out of cover to take enemies down rarely gets old. On the downside, the whole experience feels a bit hollow, with little story to speak of. Environments repeat frequently across the 36 main missions and it can end up feeling a bit samey. I decided to get the platinum trophy for this game, and I definitely think that decision made the game drag for me more than it would for most. All told though, as a freebie it's certainly worth a go.

Game 7: GHOST TRICK: PHANTOM DETECTIVE (iOS) - 15 Hours
Love love love this game. For someone it passed me by completely during my avid DS gaming days, so I was happy to give it a go when GAF pointed out that it was heavily reduced on the App Store and was really worth playing. Sure enough, GAF didn't let me down. The presentation of Ghost Trick is phenomenal; the major standout is the gorgeous character animations, but credit is also due for the sprites, the dialogue, the music and the simple but very effective controls. The puzzle mechanics wherein you can rewind time and manipulate objects to change the outcome of a scenario are always fun and interesting, and rarely frustrating, and the core gameplay sits against a backdrop of a genuinely captivating story about the recently-deceased lead character's quest to unravel a huge mystery about his identity. Can't praise it enough. Great game.

Game 8: METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE (PS3) - 5 Hours
Decided to go for a shorter game this time, so I knew MGR would do the trick in that respect. There isn't too much to say about this game other than the fact that it is (very) short, frenetic and tightly controlled. If you love fast-paced action games, it's a winner. If you're only so-so on them (like me), you'll find the whole experience rather forgettable. I can see the levels of the depth that the combat would offer to committed players, but I simply didn't enjoy it enough to want to join their ranks.

Game 9: RESISTANCE: BURNING SKIES (PS Vita) - 5 Hours
Not much to say about this one. Picked it up on the cheap (£8) and just as well really, because it's certainly not worth any more. The game handles just fine as (I think) the first proper twin stick FPS on the Vita, but everything else is unremarkable and forgettable. Platinum trophy done in 5 hours, and I won't be coming back for more!

Game 10: PLAYSTATION ALL-STARS BATTLE ROYALE (PS Vita) - 20 Hours
Picked up the PS3 version of this for a fiver at HMV, and decided to play it on my Vita using cross buy. Got the platinum trophy, but I didn't have a lot of fun with it. I'm not a big fan of fighting games, nor battling online, and the arcade mode feels incredibly hollow. I don't mind that it's a Smash clone, but if you're going to copy something, do it well. Brawl had a far better 'story' mode, and the 'supers' mechanic has never worked as well as the percentage damage system that Smash has. I was pretty bored with this game by the end, and happy to move onto the next.

Game 11: THOMAS WAS ALONE (PS Vita) - 3 Hours
I completed this game last year on PS3, but decided to have another go around on my Vita, getting 100% trophies whilst I was at it. TWA is what I appreciate it in an indie title - simple but tightly-decided core gameplay, wrapped in charm and character. It's not a challenging title by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a fun one.

Game 12: HOTLINE MIAMI (PS Vita) - 15 Hours
I was thinking about getting this for a while and when it went on sale for a little over £2, I couldn't resist. At first I found the learning curve pretty steep, but the game has a real knack for gradually teaching you its nuances through lightning-quick trial and error. The art style is fantastic, the gameplay is slick and the atmosphere is as grim as anything I can recall in recent times. The only real drawback is that this game gave me a slight hint of motion sickness, which I pretty much never get.

Game 13: THREES (iOS) - 3 Hours
Heard good things about this little puzzle game and I was looking for something to pass the time on car journeys, etc. ever since I finished Ghost Trick. There isn't a whole lot to say about Threes - it's elegant in its simplicity with its premise of merging matching numbered tiles, and it's nicely wrapped in an intuitive user interface with pleasant music and sound effects.

Game 14: LIMBO (PS3) - 1 Hour
For some reason, despite having the game for ages and having played most of it, I never got round to finishing it. So yeah, I finally decided to revisit Limbo and finish it off. The last hour of the game, as with the rest, is a charming blend of gruesome traps, some fair trial and error explanation, and a beautiful art style.

Game 15: GRAVITY RUSH (PS Vita) - 20 Hours
Back to my trusty Vita and PS+ backlog combination, next up was Gravity Rush. I got the platinum for this game, and there's a lot there to like; interesting setting with likeable characters, original ideas and mechanics, and an oddly compelling need to collect as many gems as possible. On the downside the controls are very fiddly indeed, and getting disoriented or stuck on objects whilst flying around was very common. Also there were too many story threads left unresolved by the end for my liking. I assume that's part of a plan for a sequel which, as an ambitious new IP, Gravity Rush definitely deserves.

Game 16: THE ROOM / THE ROOM TWO (iOS) - 6 Hours
Decided to treat these as one title, given that they're fairly bite-sized and the first flows into the second rather seamlessly. Not without some flaws, but on the whole I enjoyed these games very much. By and large they strike the right balance of exploration and puzzle solving, and the sinister overtones are really enjoyable. There are some frustrating segments where it is very ambiguous what is required of the player, but thankfully these are few and far between.

Game 17: PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES (PS Vita) - 20 Hours
After playing a bit of PvZ2 on my phone and have it subsequently glitch out on me, I decided to go back to the simple, microtransaction-free goodness of the original on my Vita. The game still holds up well, and is a fun spin on the tower defense formula. The fact that I decided to get the platinum trophy meant that it all felt rather repetitive by the time I was done, and I think the missions could have done with a bit more variety and challenge.

Game 18: LEGO: LORD OF THE RINGS (PS Vita)
Description to follow.

Game 19: METRO: LAST LIGHT (PS3)
Description to follow.

Game 20: FEZ (PS Vita)
Description to follow.

Game 21: WHERE'S MY WATER / WHERE'S MY PERRY (iOS)
Description to follow.

Game 22: OLLI OLLI (PS Vita)
Description to follow.

Game 23: DONKEY KOG COUNTRY RETURNS 3D (3DS)
Description to follow.

Game 24: TOMB RAIDER (2013) (PS3)
Description to follow.

Game 25: CUT THE ROPE 2 (iOS)
Description to follow.

Game 26: SUPERBROTHERS SWORD & SWORCERY (iOS)
Description to follow.

Game 27: OUTLAST (PS4)
Description to follow.

Game 28: BLEK (iOS)
Description to follow.

Game 29: SPELUNKY (PS Vita)
Description to follow.

Game 30: WORLD OF GOO (iOS)
Description to follow.

Game 31: MORTAL KOMBAT (PS3)
Description to follow.

Game 32: MONUMENT VALLEY (iOS)
Description to follow.

Game 33: INFAMOUS: SECOND SON (PS4)
Description to follow.

Game 34: PICROSS E (3DS)
Description to follow.

Game 35: UNCHARTED: FIGHT FOR FORTUNE (Vita)
Description to follow.

Game 36: THE LAST OF US: REMASTERED (PS4)
Description to follow.

Game 37: ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (PS4)
Description to follow.

Game 38: CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (PS4)
Description to follow.

Game 39: RUN SACKBOY RUN! (iOS)
Description to follow.

Game 40: PEGGLE (iOS)
Description to follow.

Game 41: PROFESSOR LAYTON VS PHOENIX WRIGHT (3DS)
Description to follow.

Game 42: FAR CRY 4 (PS4)
Description to follow.

Game 43: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS (3DS)
Description to follow.

Game 44: MINECRAFT (PS Vita)
Description to follow.

Game 45: SLY COOPER: THIEVES IN TIME (PS Vita)
Description to follow.

Game 46: HITMAN: GO (iOS)
Description to follow.

Game 47: A DARM ROOM (iOS)
Description to follow.

stuminus3

Banned
Another one down, 100% done Mighty Switch force on 3DS for game #4. Still haven't bought anything new so I'm +4 for the year so far, and it's only the 8th and I've got a couple more games at the 'almost done' stage so I'm on track for this 52 games thing.

I'm subbed to the other GAF backlog threads that started up recently but I think I'll focus on this one so it's not so much to keep track of.

Updated post here.

Yasawas

Number 4 done and it was a fucking belter.

Game 4: Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) - Completed 8/1/14. 14:00

100%'ed right up until the last level where I still have a couple of stars to get but I've seen the credits. What an insanely polished, tight, fun experience. I've been thinking about this for a few days as I approached the end and as someone who grew up with these games (I was about 10 when SMB3 came out here) I'm constantly surprised by how they manage to make it as fun and varied as it is. This is the fifth time by my count that Nintendo have thoroughly decimated any cynicism I had towards the series and any doubts I had that they'd run out of steam, it's a staggering achievement and very probably my favourite of all the 3D games.

Original post.

stuminus3

Banned
Three games done today, haha. Just finished Brothers on Steam. I am playing longer games as part of this challenge, honest I am. I can still see my pace dropping like a rock by the end of the month...

Updated post here.

I've completed Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus.
I completely forgot this existed, wow. I love R&C too.

That's one week done. Finished three games in that week, which is frankly insane; there's no way I can keep up that pace for the rest of the year. Indeed, all three were games I started last year--more than half my MGS1 time was from late December, and about three-quarters of my Gran Turismo 6 time as well.

The immediate future looks less productive too. I'm stuck in a rut in Rogue Legacy, and my history with completing roguelikes is abysmal (though in theory Rogue Legacy is a rogue-"lite"). Monaco isn't that compelling as a single-player game, though trying to collect every gold piece in the levels is addictive. The Last Remnant is a decent JRPG with an interesting battle system, but I won't be finishing that game anytime soon. The next game I'm likely to finish is the first Zone of the Enders, but oh my god the backtracking. The game never tells you where anything is, so you have to search through every other area you've already been to in order to find the next objective. Incredibly annoying.

Updated post.

Asparagus

Game 2: The House of the Dead: Overkill- 3 hours
It's hard at the start when you only have the stock handgun. Fun though, the story's mental.

Game 3: Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm- 33 hour 7 minutes
Gameplay was great, recruiting players was fun, the final chapter did not need to exist and really dragged things out.

Not sure what my next game will be, I'm tempted by Dragon Quest IX but the time investment's a bit much for me right now.

eot

Banned
Game 5: Mark of the Ninja - 8 hours
More good than it is fun, I thought. The thing that stands out the most to me is how well they communicate information to the player. It's hyper important in a game like this and you can tell a lot of effort went into it, so props for that. For whatever reason though it never quite hooked me, and I thought most levels went on for about twice as long as they needed to. Ending was ace though.

Sendou

Weeks gone 29. Games beaten 30.

My Darkadia account.

Game 1: Portal 2 - 21 hours according to Steam which may or may not be accurate.
# I had played the singleplayer a year or two ago. Now I finally got around playing the co-op (shoutouts to Burnburn). Absolutely stellar game. I will probably try the user made content next but for now I'm considering this game beaten since I have beaten Valve's content.

Game 2: Super Mario 3D World - 41 hours 43 minutes according to Wii U logs. It's accurate but also contains some idling.
# Completed it 100%. All stamps (which includes completing each level with all characters), all green stars and all golden flagpoles. A really fun game! EAD Tokyo still has it. At first I was slightly negative about the game but it grew on me the more I played. The last level was really hard and took me between 200 and 300 tries.

Game 3: The Last of Us - No idea how long it took.
# Completed on normal without using the listening mode. Impactful game to say at least. I just want to see a day where a video game of this scale can tell a powerful story without adding a massacre to the mix. Presentation of this title was just outstanding. Gameplay wasn't bad either it just wasn't as good.

Game 4: Cook, Serve, Delicious! - 30 hours according to Steam.
# Good game. Considering it beaten now that I have a 5-star restaurant, extra challenges done (except the very last), all foods bought and upgraded and all equipment purchases (not counting the very last few or even one from ClickStarter). Remaining content including the final renovation would just include too much grinding and I don't find it one. I already saw most of the content of the game. I enjoyed the game. Really a quality title even if a little repetitive. There's just something fundamentally satisfying about the gameplay. Of course we never have enough food related video games.

Game 5: Gone Home - 6 hours according to Steam
# Played the game once through and second time with the developer commentary. I really enjoyed the experience. It tries something different and I think it works. Developer's commentary was nice too. What I didn't find nice were numerous bugs which in an experience as short and controlled as this are unacceptable in my opinion.

Game 6: Fez - 15 hours according to Steam. At least 7 hours of that is idling.
# Reached credits. I gotta love this game for what it is. That being the case even if it isn't really for me. That cryptology stuff just isn't what I'm looking from my games. That said the easy half of he puzzles I beat I enjoyed. Presentation is just outstanding too.

Game 7: Shin Megami Tensei IV - 59 hours 42 minutes including idling
# Got the Law ending on Prentice difficulty (lowered the difficulty to Fellow for final boss just because it was a pain in the ass and I didn't feel like grinding). Completed a good amount of side quests too but not everything. More in the beginning than towards the end. I feel pretty torn about the game. On the other hand I feel like it's a solid package. OST deserves an extra mention. It's just spectacular. Then there are the parts I didn't enjoy. The developers really seem to love that certain trial & error gameplay. There is a lot of that in this game. The game is very confusing too. I had to refer to a FAQ for more than once. They don't do a very good job of explaining where is that certain Japanese sounding place you need to go. For having low production values (2D sprites heavily used etc.) the price is high. In summarision I'm glad it's over. Now I only need to play Kid Icarus and I have beaten all of my 3DS retail games. Too bad it's region locked and I can't therefore use my XL.

Game 8: OlliOlli - No idea how long it took.
# Beaten every stage (both amateur and pro) with the exception of one challenge that is just too impossible for me to waste more time trying to complete it. Got 9 trophies out of 12. This is actually a pretty nice game. It's just as addicting as everyone says. Too bad about the missing leaderboards. I could have easily seen many extra hours in front of me if only it had them. Also several technical problems like rather frequent crashes are really unfortunate. Behind all this is yet another brilliant indie title for Vita that I can really recommend for everyone if the core concept seems even distantly appealing.

Game 9: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - 4 hours according to Steam
# Beaten the game and got all 12 achievements. Such a nice game. I think the developers nailed the feeling of an adventure with this game. Even more so than some top dogs in this industry with hundreds of millions dollars budgets to back them. The gameplay isn't really challenging at all but I didn't mind this. I have to give extra credit for creating a story and a world that greatly gains influences from Scandinavian nature and folklore. I think that part is what took this game to the next level for me personally. Below is one of the numerous breathtaking vistas in this game.

Game 10: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - No idea how long it took. Around 10 hours would be my guess.
# Probably my favorite game I have played this year so far. I feel like the game loans just enough from 999 and Ace Attorney without feeling like a copycat. In addition it also adds so much to the mix that it's hard not to give credit for it. It has this sort of very surreal style going for it. Everything is just twisted and in a good way. The dialogue made me laugh out loud more than once. Characters (with few notable exceptions) are either likeable or interesting in other ways. Ending left you with more questions than answers but luckily they are also bringing the sequel to the west. Gameplay feels lacking from time to time but not enough to pull you from the story. Monokuma is one of the finest characters of its kind in video games ever. Puhuhuhuhu.

Game 11: South Park: The Stick of Truth - No idea how long it took (Steam says 26 hours but that includes a lot of idling. Maybe half of that)
# Beaten on hardcore. Missed two sidequests and bunch of collectables. I was disappointed with this game. The South Park part of this game is awesome. I'm not a huge follower of the show so I missed most of the references but besides that it's genuinely one of the funniest games I have played. As a game though? It's mediocre or even bad. They obviously tried to rip off Paper Mario but they didn't really find any success with that at all. The game is extremely easy even on the hardest difficulty they offer and gameplay is just so shallow. Comparing it to Paper Mario: TTYD makes Stick of Truth look very bad. Beyond that it's rather light on content as a RPG (but I don't think I could have stomached any more of the gameplay it offers). Still I don't have any grave regrets. It's a funny game. I enjoyed it as a South Park episode. I just won't be there on day 1 for sequel if it gets one.

Game 12: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 33 hours 17 minutes according to Wii U's Daily Log which is pretty damn accurate.
# Every level beaten with all KONG letters and puzzle pieces. Also I did
close to half of the levels on hard mode collection all blue KONG letters
(light spoilers about end-game content). Such a fun game. Retro Studios really is a splendid developer. I had high expectations for this title but they managed to exceed all of them. Getting David Wise to do the OST for this game was just the thing to do. Music together with extremely nice environmental art really brings this game alive. Attention to detail is just incredible. Beyond that gameplay was just as honed as it was in DKCR. Even more so at times. There's some small trial & error but nothing that would threaten to kill the experience. So yeah I was very pleased with this game and I'm already looking forward to what they might be doing next.

Game 13: Alpha Protocol - 15 hours according to Steam.
# Spying games are cool. As a theme it just resonates with me so well. That said Alpha Protocol could have used some more development time. The story behind the game is truly unfortunate because there certainly was material for a great game there. Gameplay is just way too sloppy to overlook. It doesn't kill the experience but the time it was time to roll the credits I was very much finished with the game. Does really cool stuff with player choice and dialogue. More games should learn how Alpha Protocol handles it. The main character is often very hilarious. Over the top and cheesy dialogue was such a good fit. I wish Alpha Protocol 2 came along with proper budget behind it. Sadly I don't think we'll ever see this day.

Game 14: NES Remix - 13 hours 59 minutes (from Wii U's Daily Log so the number is pretty accurate).
# Reached credits. Cleared most games with 3 stars. I just can't stomach playing that Golf game among some others. I think this was a pretty cool game. Anything that resemples WarioWare is good in my books. I like this way of getting know some of the older games I've never played. Not sure if I'd play those games from start to finish this day and age but like this they are just fine. Ice Climbers is still horrible though. Coming from this I'm not sure if I'll get NES Remix 2. Day one purchase is looking unlikely.

Game 15: LUFTRAUSERS - 20 hours 16 minutes according to in-game counter but this includes quite a bit of idling.
# I think I did everything in this game except beating one final challenge. It just felt too frustrating for me to finish the game which is sad because apparently you get some cool plane for unlocking everything. Largely this is because of the RNG nature of the game which I feel is one of its biggest faults too. Basically getting a good score in this game largely depends on how enemies spawn. Same goes for completing challenges. Despite a few grind oriented challenges rest of them are completely tied to RNG which doesn't make for a good experience. All of this is such a shame. The core gameplay is pretty damn fun. I really liked how the game felt. I just feel that after solid core they didn't have what it takes to build good meat around it. Unlockables are largely consisting of different color schemes (all of them unplayable except the default one which is dumb) and new ship parts (after 1 hour of playing you have unlocked everything but the last 3. To get those you need to beat every challenge in the game which is not easy nor is it completely up to you like explained before). Music was cool at first (kudos to how it changes with each ship part) but it got repetitive towards the end. Essentially there's one tune in the game (plus another that plays in menus) and that's it. As it is now I find it hard to recommend this game for more than a few bucks. This game definitely deserves to be a success but unfortunately it didn't quite come together for me in the end. EDIT: Later went back and got all the achievements.

Game 16: You Have to Win the Game - 30 minutes~ according to in-game timer so it's rather accurate
# Well it was a free game and it took me 30 minutes. Closest to cheating I'm going to get with this challenge. That said it was a rather fun game all things considered. Reminded me of VVVVVV a bit. Not much else to say. It really wasn't all that challenging to beat but all things considered I can recommend this to everyone that even remotely likes retro influenced platformers.

Game 17: Persona 4 Arena - Probably took me like 20-30 hours.
# Got every ending in Story Mode (99% with that remaining 1% being something really minor). Bought it because I wanted to see more of Persona story. I'm not a fan of fighting games like this and I didn't have much fun with this game in particular either. The Persona side of things was a bit of a let down too. While there was some good writing it was extremely repetitive to go through the story mode with each character. Most of the content is just the same thing over and over again from a different perspective. While I like Persona I just feel I'm not a big enough fan to truly enjoy a package like this. It was way longer than How Long To Beat indicated too.

Game 18: Legend of Grimrock - 23 hours according to Steam (includes basically 1.5 playthroughs)
# Game beaten on normal. Legend of Grimrock is a game I bought at the release day but didn't beat until now. I'm glad I did though. It's something I had to get done well before the sequel so that I can have a better go at beating that game closer to the release day. I did like my time with Legend of Grimrock. It ended at the perfect moment. If it would have gone for longer then I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it. Combat was pretty bad. The only times it got challenging was when there was an ambush and even then it wasn't the kind of challenge I'm looking from my games. Very repeating tilesets too (grand total of 3 environments in the game: stone, lighter stone and metal which is used in the last level). My favorite part was finding secrets. You really felt like you achieved something when you found one. Puzzles were just challenging enough too.

Game 19: BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - 8 hours 2 minutes according to Wii U's Daily Log which is pretty accurate
# I beat every stage. Another longterm project so to speak. Still I quite fancied this game. First of all soundtrack is amazing. I'm growing quite fond of Disasterpeace's work. The game feels like such a solid package. Especially for an indie game. Very polished all around. Gameplay is just as tight as you would want it to be in a rhytm runner platformer type of a game. Some small gripes like not being able to use Pro Controller and the way how the game is just so goddamn loud. It caugh me off-guard everytime I booted it up. Has plenty of collectables but I wasn't feeling like going after them. Although I have to give special mention for a few funny ones like the costumes referencing to Little Mac and Power Glove. (The image below is actually from the retro parts of the game. The actual game doesn't really look like that and I think the fact that the screenshot is actually captured from GamePad makes it a bit low-res)

Game 20: Transistor - 18 hours according to Steam but that contains some idling
# Got all achievements. Another game I was there for at day 1. Unlike OlliOlli and LUFTRAUSERS it didn't leave me cold at all. Basically Supergiant Games continues from the strong foundation they built with Bastion. Maybe the biggest improvement is the gameplay. I was really impressed with how it is. It was just masterly designed. There's so many ways to approach combat in this game. The game does a good job of making you to think different ways too. Difficulty was just right too. The game let's you to make the game harder by selection various "limiters" which make the game harder but earn you more exp. I think this approach worked pretty well. Having all 10 of them on makes the game pretty challenging. In general I had little troubles with the game. Story was beautiful and intriguing. With very minimal writing the developers managed to create a world full of likable characters. Oh and the OST is just phenomenal too. Transistor is definitely one of my favorite games of this year so far.

Game 21: Braid - 7 hours according to Steam but that includes basically 1.5 playthroughs
# Finished the game. Another game that was in my backlog for a long time. I think I originally bought it on XBLA about 4 years ago. It was way shorter than I imagined. Maybe it's because the game was already somewhat familiar to me (I had completed two playthroughs to halfway before) but I didn't really feel like it was as hard as I remembered. There were a few harder puzzles that had me scratching my head but most of the time it was simply because there was some gameplay mechanic I didn't know existed. I can't say I care much for such puzzle design. However I still feel like the overall quality of puzzle design was very high. Music and graphics were both pretty nice. I still think Braid hasn't aged that well. What has happened after Braid is that indies by large have picked up the slack. It's not a benchmark game anymore but it was still a nice little trip. Can't say I cared much for the story (even knowing what it is referencing to) or maybe it was just too good for me to appreciate. Very good palate cleanser. Can't wait for The Witness.

Game 22: Killer is Dead - 8 hours 16 minutes according to in-game timer
# Completed the story on Normal. I have give extra credit for Steam Family Sharing and Burnburn that allowed me to play this game. So this was a very curious game. Certainly loved the surreal vibe it had going for it. Few hours in you go less and less WTF but this aspect is there for the duration of the whole game. Cel-shaded look worked really well with this game too. Soundtrack was excellent. The bad part of this game is gameplay. It just simply has little redeeming factors whatsoever. Mindless button smashing is what the game becomes way too quickly. Actually playing the game was just so dull. The PC port was shit tier too. Locked to 30FPS and while a rather easy ini tweak fixed that it caused crashes so I was forced to play it in 30FPS which is obviously not optimal at all. Overall "quick & dirty" seemed to be the theme with the PC port. I have to also say that the controversy surrounding Gigolo missions pre-release wasn't unwarranted. They were indeed absolutely stupid. I can't think any reason why they should have been in the game. Killer is Dead is definitely a game worth playing if you know what to expect and what not to expect. It just pales in comparision to some of the excellent action games we have gotten this past generation.

Game 23: Mario Kart 8 - Will check later how long it took.
# 100% completion except for one glider that I'll get at some point but it's a longer term project. I'm a huge Mario Kart fan and 8 didn't disappoint me at all. Such a stellar game all around. Looks nice too. I liked the gravity gimmick they introduced. Made for some crazy course designs. Online is as fun as ever and Mario Kart TV spices it up nicely. That said the online play also experiences some really unfortunate problems with the connection and it's also missing some features I have come to expect like voice chat during racing. AI in singleplayer also feels a little cheap. All in all I liked many of the changes they introduced that made the 1st player more vulnerable. I think especially in Mario Kart 7 keeping 1st place was too easy. I have to give extra credit for OST. It's just amazing all around. I think Mario Kart 8 will be very high on my personal list of 2014's best games.

Game 24: Advance Wars - 14 hours 41 minutes
# Beat the campaign. Decided to play this now before I jump into the sequel later. I had fun with this game. Certainly shows that Intelligent Systems was the same masters of strategy games 10 years ago that they are today. Masterfully crafted game. At the same time it's simple and has incredible depth. I didn't find the main campaign hard. That said I didn't go look for trouble and didn't even dare to check how the harder version of that campaign is. Writing was kind of silly and even creepy sometimes. These people seemed to have way too much fun with war. I was also pleasantly surprised with how well the GBA emulation on Wii U worked.

Game 25: Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise - No idea how long it took
# Beaten every level except the very last one reaching the credits in the progress. The last one was just way too brutal for my lacking sense of rhythm. Another game I started almost a year ago and only came back to finish now. Very charming experience all around. There aren't many music games like this around. I like how they centered the whole game to one thing: improving the player's rhythm. Most imporantly in a music game like this the soundtrack was great. Even the licensed tracks were a good fit.

Game 26: Far Cry 3 - 62 hours according to Steam but that includes idling and basically 1.5 playthroughs
# Finished main story and most of the side content on the hardest difficulty. Far Cry 3 is actually a game I pre-ordered. Yet with some problems with the uPlay account it remained in my backlog half-finished until now. Started a new playthrough since I had no idea about anything anymore. Overall I enjoyed my time with the game. The main story had some very interesting missions rivalling even the most more linear gaming experiences. That said the side content was very weak. Side quests consisted only of simple fetch mission with little else. It's your usual Ubisoft open world in the sense that there's so much content you can go for if you wish (taking you 100 hours+ easily to get all of them) but it's not like you feel any need to. There's no other proper rewards for doing so other than achievements I guess. Everything you really need is unlocked in the first fifth of the game. Same with hunting and gathering. There's no need to do either of them outside of the early game. There's no challenge with that either. End-game recipes that could act as a motivator to actually bother gathering are just game breaking. It's not like you need them either since the game is rather easy even on the hardest difficulty. Writing was solid with some very interesting characters. Too bad you are forced to kill all of the interesting characters because you have to defend the boring. Funny playing a game like that. I think the variety of approaches to combat the game allowed worked really well. I found stealth very satisfying. It's not hard but you feel like a ninja when you manage to nail an approach. Uplay deserves an extra mention because it's not good at all but everybody knows about that. The game is graphically nothing special.

Game 27: Valiant Hearts: The Great War - 11 hours according to Steam but that includes some idling
# I wrote a small review on my experience with the game. TL;DR I really enjoyed my time with this title.

Game 28: Wolfenstein: The New Order - 11 hours according to Steam
# Story beaten on the second hardest difficulty. Here are my thoughts posted on the Steam thread.

Game 29: The Wolf Among Us - 10 hours according to Steam
# Story beaten. I enjoyed this game. I was a big fan of The Walking Dead by Telltale Games. In fact I think it was my game of the year back when it was released. I'm also a fan of what we have seen of Season 2 of The Walking Dead so far. That's why I was eager to see how this format fits other IP's. I'm glad to see it works very well. Games like these are all about the story. It keeps you interested as long as there's an interesting world and characters to interact with. Telltale Games really shines with that. Gameplay is passable. Nothing special. It's certainly something I would like them to give a little more attention in their future games. EDIT: Got all achievements too. Played it through the second time with different choices. Doesn't make as much difference as I would have wished.

Game 30: Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon - 4.2 hours according to Steam which I think is pretty close to the truth
# My impressions are in the Steam thread. EDIT: Later went back and got all achievements.

Meia

I can get behind this idea. :)

Game 1: Spelunky(PC) - 19 hours played.
Just finished the Temple for the first time, will be playing this off and on, so won't count it as official until I get through Hell. Will update accordingly.

MrDaravon

Game 6: VVVVVV 2:01 to beat, 9/20 trinkets
# I can't believe this game has a goddamn escort mission. Like a third of my total gametime was on that, really soured me on the game. Music is amazing though.

Feels a bit cheating since it's so short >_>. Right now still chipping away a bit at ALBW, but I started up and am File 2 on Revegeance, so that'll probably be my next beaten game.

Updated post here.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Would Final Fantasy 1 & 2: Dawn of Souls for the GBA count as one or two games? I'm leaning more towards counting it as two games when I finally get around to playing it, but I'd like to know some other opinions as well.

MrDaravon

Would Final Fantasy 1 & 2: Dawn of Souls for the GBA count as one or two games? I'm leaning more towards counting it as two games when I finally get around to playing it, but I'd like to know some other opinions as well.

Stuff like that I would definitely count as two games, it's a compilation and they launch separately. I doubt anyone would disagree, and even then this at everyone's personal discretion so it's all good either way. You mostly only see differing opinions on episodic/season type stuff like Telltale games.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Stuff like that I would definitely count as two games, it's a compilation and they launch separately. I doubt anyone would disagree, and even then this at everyone's personal discretion so it's all good either way. You mostly only see differing opinions on episodic/season type stuff like Telltale games.

Then I'll count them as two games when I finally get around to playing them. Thanks for the input!

KiDdYoNe

All right. Rough night for me. Thougt i'll play the shit out of Ni No Kuni as i did 2 previous nights, but last night friends invited me to play CS:GO... I think (i know) i already have those 10 hours so can count the game in but i'll wait.

A lot of fun, actually. Thought it was a step back from CS:S, but seems like there was no step at all. Only few changes, annoying ones for me. Still figuring why "hats" couldn't work in previous game, lol.

gl1tch

Neo Member
This sounds like a great way of clearing my backlog and actually playing the games from Steam sales.

A lot of my times are off from leaving it running while doing other stuff.

Game 1: Valkyria Chronicles 3 E2 - 117hrs 10min 34s
# Story was interesting though a bit cliche, reminds me I need to finish VC1.
Imca best girl.

Game 2: Ys I - 21hrs
# Nothing beats getting to the final door and having to back track to get the key; bosses only go from very easy to completely ridiculous.

Game 3: Ys II - 7.5hrs
# Thought it was way too easy compared to Ys I, gotta get dat story.
Where the harem ending at?

Game 3: Pokemon Black 2 - 28hrs
# Did this game get harder or is the blue starter no longer god tier? Game didn't get easier until the elite four+champion, starter + 5 revive strat go.

olimpia84

I'll give this a shot but I doubt I'll be able to complete the challenge. I will only add games that I finished in my list below:

Game 1: New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS) - 4hs
# Really short (without every secret exit) and easy due to the coins crazyness on each level.

Game 2: Battlefield 4 (PS4) - 100hs

# Completed the campaign, put tons of hours into the multiplayer, currently going for the platinum.

Game 3: Shadows of the Damned (PS3) - 10hs
# Loved the humor and the characters, courtesy of Suda 51; and the atmosphere and enemies, courtesy of Mikami. Too bad we won't get a sequel for this most likely.

Game 4: Pokemon X (3DS) - 40hs
# Extremely easy game but it was a fun ride. Last Poke game I beat was Gold back in the day so it was nice to go back into the series and enjoy all its new features and graphics engine.

Game 5: Rain (PS3) - 3hs
# Absurdly easy and short but the game had a very enjoyable setting and emotional story, not to mention a fantastic soundtrack. Reminded me of Ico in several ways.

Game 6: Brothers: Tales of Two Sons (PS3) - 3hs
# Similarly to Rain, it was really easy and short. Very impressive graphics and art direction but the emotional parts of the story didn't do a whole lot to me for some reason.

Game 7: Batman Arkham Origins (Wii U) - 18hs
# Even though it's more of the same in terms of graphics and gameplay this is my favorite game in the Arkham series. Loved the story and the pacing of the game and how it sets up the events of Arkham Asylum.

Game 8: Far Cry 3 (PS3) - 20hs
# Very impressed by this and glad I finally got around to playing it. Loved the open world aspect and the island setting and locales, graphics are nice despite the performance issues (poor framerate, texture loading and popin). Gunplay was fun and the pacing was great. Currently trying to get the platinum for this game considering it's very easy and the game is enjoyable so why not.

Game 9: Resistance: Burning Skies (PS Vita) - 6hs
# Not a good FPS. Everything about this game is average, from graphics to level design to pacing. Online mode is full of hackers and thus unplayable. Story mode was short and easy and the platinum is very easy so in the end I don't regret my cheap purchase of this game.

Game 10: Mario Tennis Open (3DS) - 3.5hs
# Beat every cup and championship on single mode and saw the credits roll so I'm assuming that counts as 'beat'. Fun game but Mario Tennis 64 still remains my favorite in the series. Mini games are also fun but the overall package feels repetitive and gets dull really fast.

Game 11: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - 21hs
# Excellent game but I wouldn't put it near the top of my Zelda list. It truly feels like a LTTP sequel but I didn't really care for the rental and the whole 'tackle dungeons any order you want' structure. I've found myself choosing a bad sequence in terms of items progression so that hindered my enjoyment quite significantly. Dungeon design is not the best but very solid and love how they are 'bite sized' perfect for a handheld game. Despite some of those gripes, it still is a great game and a must own for any 3DS owner.

Game 12: InFamous Second Son (PS4) - 10hs+
# Really glad i picked this up day one, it started off a bit slow but ended up loving the game. Leveling up the different abilities was really fun and the graphics were simply outstanding, especially in the night segments combined with all the lightning and particle effects created by the powers during combat. Story was good and the script and dialogue were excellent imo. Only two complains are the game is way too short and I wish there were more powers.

Game 13: Steamworld Dig (3DS) - 6hs+
# A very fun Metroidvania type of game with a great exploration element. Leveling up is fun and the game has a perfect length/challenge level.

Game 14: Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3) - 9hs+
# Very good 3D platformer, true to the Sly series combining stealth elements into the mix. The story, characters and dialogue are among the best parts of the game. The fact that you travel in time to different locations and get to play as Sly's ancestors adds a lot of variety in the gameplay preventing the game from becoming bland.

Game 15: Metro Last Light (PS3) - 9hs+
# I believe this is the first PS+ game that I beat out of the millions I have so it feels good. Very solid FPS in every regard, glad I chose to play this game.

Game 16: Lollipop Chainsaw (PS3) - 6hs+
# Not my favorite Suda game but still fun. Boss fights were the highlights for me, as is often the case with any games from Grasshoper.

Game 17: Mario Golf: World Tour (3DS) - 6hs+
# Haven't beat every single thing in the game but I did get to complete the first 3 courses and see the credits roll, along with some challenge stages that unlocked extra characters. Another solid golf entry from Camelot with tons of variety, online is feature rich.

Game 18: Super Mario World (SNES) - 5hs+
# Beat this on the Wii U's virtual console. I play this game every year but it's been a few years since I beat the game for the last time. Nothing much to say other than it's my favorite platformer of all time.

Game 19: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - 15hs+
# Beat all the cups on 100cc and slowly trying to unlock everything the game has to offer. Online is great and adds a ton of replay value, shame about the gutted battle mode. Graphics wise it's one of the best, if not the best, looking games of this new gen.

Game 20: Wolfenstein The New Order (PS4) - 10hs+
# Best FPS single player campaign I played in a LONG time, maybe since Perfect Dark on the N64. The gunplay is fantastic. Beat the game on Uber difficulty which is the toughest part trophy wise so I will go back and get all the collectibles to get the platinum trophy.

Game 21: Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3) - 3hs+
# Got this from PS+, very nice remake on the easy and short side. Very relaxing game with a great soundtrack.

Game 22: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) - 9hs+
# Very enjoyable story, I prefer this over Heavy Rain personally although it still had some things that bothered me (story line related). I only got one of the endings but will definitely go back to watch some of the other ones.

Game 23: Killzone Mercenary (PS Vita) - 4hs+
# Best handheld FPS in the market. Graphics are amazing on the Vita screen, the gameplay is perfect for a portable FPS in the sense that the levels are not very long and they encourage the player to come back to get more money for weapons and upgrades. Story was good although on the short side. Multiplayer worked pretty well; no lag and it was actually fun from what I've played. A must have for all Vita owners.

Game 24: Tales of Xillia (PS3) - 34hs+
# Very fun JRPG that does a lot of things right. Story is good, character development is good, but the biggest positive is the combat system. Game feels just right in terms of length and I didn't mind the somewhat linear progression and structure of the game.

Game 25: PS All Stars Battle Royale (PS3) - 10hs+
# Started this over a year ago but finally decided to make the final push and get the platinum in the game by finishing the game with the remaining characters. Unfortunately this is not a very good game, it lacks the charm and soul that SSB games have and a big part of that is the roster which is missing some key mascots.

Game 26: Remember Me (PS3) - 9hs+
# One of the most interesting settings of this past gen (NeoParis 2084). Unfortunately the gameplay was not very solid; some interesting concepts but the execution was not the best. Basically it feels like a poors man Arkham combat system coupled with the linear platforming of the Uncharted games. Nevertheless, it was fun in its own way.

Game 27: Thomas Was Alone (PS3) - 3hs+
# Very interesting presentation that kept the game together since the platforming and 'puzzle' solving wasn't that good or innovative.

Game 28: Yoshi's New Island (3DS) - 8hs+
# I had fun with this game, it's a solid platformer with fun levels. However, it doesn't come close to the original SNES masterpiece. Game is short and easy but enjoyable. Loved the new art direction and I think the game looks great. Theme song is horrible though (wtf Nintendo?).

Game 29: After Burner Climax (Arcade) - 10mins+
# Went to the arcades after many years and tried this bad boy. The highlight was the motion seat in the cabinet but other than this is your typical arcade game where it becomes incredibly difficult as you progress and it's somewhat difficult to figure out what's going on in the screen. Extremely short, took about 10 minutes to finish the game (got ending C) and used about 6 credits.

Game 30: Liberation Maiden (3DS) - 1hr+
# This was on sale earlier in the year and decided to grab it because Suda 51. Fun and short game with some impressive cutscenes and decent gameplay. Would love to see a full fledged version of the game with more story and gameplay elements.

Game 31: Nier (PS3) - 18hr+
# Finally got a chance to beat this game. I really enjoyed the story, soundtrack and the characters which are the driving forces of the game (not so much the gameplay and the graphics).

Game 32: Tomodachi Life (3DS) - 12hr+
# I don’t think you can beat this game but I did put enough hours to unlcok the different buildings in the island and understand (or not) what this game is all about. Creating random celebrities and watching the characters interact is pretty fun.

Game 33: Kirby’s Epic Yarn (Wii) - 7hr+
# Despite this being perhaps the easiest platformer I’ve ever played in my life I had a great time playing this just watching and admiring the yarn and artistic look of the levels. Also loved how the levels and different worlds were themed. A perfect game to unwind and relax after a stressing day.

Game 34: Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4) - 12hr+
# I skipped the last gen version of this game and patiently waited for this. Very fun and addicting dungeon crawler, I took a Demon Hunter all the way up to level 70 and beat all five acts, as well as playing some post game content doing rifts and such. I’m definitely going back to this to create new characters in different classes.

Game 35: Hyrule Warriors (Wii U) - 21hr+
# Pleasently suprised by this since I’m not huge into the Musou games. The fan service is out of this world and being a Zelda fan for the longest time definitely helped in enjoying this game greatly. Being able to control different characters from the Zelda universe each with their own moveset is really fun. Sue me but I enjoyed the story in Legend mode. I might bite on the DLC but still have to fully beat Adventure Mode.

Game 36: Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) - 8hr+
# Faithful to the Kirby series this is another short and easy title but what really shines in this one is the level design. Loved the combination of typical Kirby gameplay with light puzzle elements thrown in the levels to ge the sunstones and the collectable keychains. The two included minigames are fun and help greatly with replay value. I’d say this is in my top 3 Kirby games ever.

Game 37: Aliens Colonial Marines (PS3) - 12hr+
# All the poor reviews are well deserved. This is one of the glitchiest game I’ve ever played. On top of that, the level design is not very good (corridor shooter for the most part) and the performance sucks. Multiplayer is a mess. The only reason I beat this game is because I played online coop with three other friends and we basically did it as a joke.

Game 38: Resident Evil: Revelations (PS3) - 10hr+
# Already got this game and beat it back in the day for the 3DS but decided to pick up the console version for cheap. It was fun going back to it, the level design is pretty good and the fact that the game favors horror over action is greatly appreciated. The story is ridiculous though but then again all the new games in the series suffer from the same problem. Raid mode is fun but at this point is dead when trying to get other people online.

Game 39: Typing of the Dead Overkill (PC) - 4hr+
# Short and sweet, never got a chance to play the original in the Wii so I’m really glad they released this on Steam. It’s cool how you can play classic mode as well as the main typing mode.

Game 40: Smash Bros (3DS) 15hs+

Game 41: Smash Bros (Wii U) 20hs+

Game 41: Gone Home (PC) 1+ hs

Game 42: Steamworld Dig (PS4) 8hs

Game 43: Captain Toad (Wii U) 8hs

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Finished up a really quick playthrough of FFVII! I play this game every year so why not get it outta the way early? And in just 16 hours! Why have I never heard of or done the skip returning to Midgar glitch before? It saved a ton of time! An why have I never seen this dialogue before:
Cloud: "A billion mirror fragments...... small......light..... taken......angel's...... singing voices...... ......zeno......gias......"
!!! FFVII keepin' it fresh 17 years an a zillion playthroughs later!

...zeno gias huh.....

Also new feature! Let's add up how much time I spent beating games!

Games Beaten: 3 / 52
Total Playtime: 16 hours, 19 minutes

link!

McNagah

I think me making a post will make me far more dedicated to actually finish some games. Let's do this. Kind of curious though, how are you all keeping track of time. Do you whip out your stopwatch and time yourself?

COMPLETE

INCOMPLETE (in no particular order)
Game #1 - Picross 3D
Blown away. I'll write a full on review after I finish it. Need to make it more of a now and then type of game instead of blasting through all the puzzles in one go.

Game #2 - Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
My PC doesn't work with it. This is a very sad day indeed.

Game #3 - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
This is a game of my childhood so I don't know if it really counts. However, it is the game I need right now in my life. I really hope it holds up.

Lemstar

1: Grand Theft Auto IV (360) - 28h (12/31/13 - 1/5/14)
Don't bother; play GTA5 or Sleeping Dogs or SR3/4 instead.

2: Soul Sacrifice (PSV) - 18h (1/1/14 - 1/9/14)
I've never seriously played a hunting game before, but I was happy to find out that I enjoyed Soul Sacrifice. Combat felt good, even if invincibility frames on rolling made it feel like a bit too much of a win button. Graphics aren't impressive, but the designs of archfiends were incredible. I don't know if I can objectively call the writing good, but the story was an element that I had expected to be interstitial filler and turned out to be substantial and even touching at points. The presence of pages upon pages of lore is something that you don't see from developers all that often anymore either.

I guess the genre's inherently reliant on grinding to obtain materials, which was something I didn't end up dealing with all that much through story mode. Finishing all of the optional content doesn't seem that attractive right now, but if I can import my save, I might work on it when Soul Sacrifice Delta comes out.

3: To the Moon (PC) - 3h (1/9/14 - 1/10/14)
Kind of disappointing. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it, but the plot came across as maudlin instead of touching. Music was lovely, although a bit repetitive. Some of the problems that were presumably limitations of the development method (640x480 fixed resolution, clunky movement, game not progressing without window focus) were quite annoying, too.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Twisted Metal 2 done with massive cheating! Gotta love it. Antarctica is still like one of the greatest videogame level like ever. Not that I saw much of it this playthrough... but burning it all down to just a tiny chunk of land does rule!

Games Beaten: 4 / 52
Total Playtime: 16 hours, 37 minutes

link!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom