• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Books. 50 Movies. 1 Year (2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

Update: 4/50 Books; 3/50 Movies

I read Shahnameh: The Epic of the Persian Kings, by Ferdowsi over this long weekend (plus yesterday). I didn't read the full epic poem, but an abridged prose edition with beautiful illustrations; I'll have to read the full thing eventually, too.

I'm also a little over a third of the way through The Quiet American for this month's book club.

My first update :)

DieUnbekannte - 1/50 books | 2/50 movies

Not much, but I finished The Last Unicorn a few days ago and it was just wonderful! Definitely 4,5 stars. I'm also in the middle of Shadowrise by Tad Williams. So far it's a great book, but the two previous ones were a little bit better. But I still have about 40% to read - a lot can change.

And I saw two films:
1. The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug (2014)
2. Demolition Man (1993)

RedShift

RedShift - 4/50 Books | 1/50 Movies

Watched Argo, which I really enjoyed, but I wish Ben Affleck would quit acting and just become a director. Seriously I think he had the same expression on his face the entire damn movie.
MoS 2 will have the worst Batman.

Read Ender's Game. I'm kind of glad I didn't read this when I was 14 and didn't really have any friends, I think I could have ended up in a lot more fights. It was okay, I might come back and read some more in the series later but I don't think I'll read more now. I think Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality does the whole 'weird child genius attends special school and fights mock battles' thing a lot better, even if it is obviously influenced by (and references) Ender's Game a lot.

Might read Dune next, but I need to catch up on movies as well.

Updated with the latest additions. Looks like the flow of new participants is trickling down to a stop, so the bulk of the work is done. The first big update will be for 1 February and that will give me a good idea of how long it will take to update this monstrosity.

Off to participate in some "surprise" activities my wife has planned for my birthday. Here's hoping we watch a movie since we never get to the theater anymore.

athevolunteer - 8/50 Books | 14/50 Movies​

Books
  • "Machine of Death" by. various ★★★★
  • "A Dance with Dragons" by. George RR Martin - ★★★★★
  • "Divergent" by. Veronica Roth - ★★★½
  • "Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame" by. Charles Bukowski - ★★★★★
  • "Storm Front" by. James Butcher - ★★★★ (audiobook)
  • "The Fall" by. Garth Nix - ★½
  • "The Maze Runner" by. James Dashner - ★★★
  • "This Star Won't Go Out" by. Esther Earl ★★★★★

Movies
  • The Wolf of Wallstreet (2013) - ★★★★
  • Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) - ★★★½
  • The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (2013) - ★★★
  • Chronicle (2012) - ★★★
  • Re-Animator (1885) - ★★★★½
  • Her (2013) - ★★★★★
  • Layer Cake (2004) - ★★★★
  • Anchmorman 2: The Legend Continues (2013) - ★★★½
  • Guilt Trip (2012) - ★½
  • Captain Phillips (2013) - ★★★★
  • (A)sexual (2011) - ★★★★★
  • Mitt (2014) - ★★★½
  • Heathers (1988) - ★★★★½
  • The Lego Movie (2014) - ★★★★★

Feel free to add me on Goodreads

Tremas

Bit late to the party on this one, but definitely going to give this a serious shot this year. Movies won't be an issue as a see a couple every week anyway. A few friends and I have started a book club which meet on the last Sunday of every month, so that should aid somewhat on the book front.

Tremas - 21/50 Books | 27/50 Movies​
Books
Blood Meridian (Cormac McCarthy)
House of Leaves (Mark Z. Danielewski)
Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut)
Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk)
Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman)
The Goldfinch (Donna Tartt)
Pale Fire (Vladimir Nabokov)
The Drowned World (J.G. Ballard)
Gravity's Rainbow (Thomas Pynchon)
Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn)
High Rise (J.G. Ballard)
Watchmen (Alan Moore)
The Trial (Franz Kafka)
America (Franz Kafka)
The Castle (Franz Kafka)
Good Omens (Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett)
World War Z (Max Brooks)
Our Man in Havana (Graham Greene)
White Noise (Don DeLillo)
The Sound and the Fury (William Faulkner)
The Orphan Master's Son (Adam Johnson)

Movies
American Hustle
12 Years a Slave
Wolf of Wall Street
Inside Llewyn Davis
August: Osage County
Dallas Buyers Club
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall Past Lives
Her
Hitch
Only Lovers Left Alive
Nebraska
The Lego Movie
Homeward Bound
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Under The Skin
Veronica Mars
Starred Up
Captain america - The Winter Soldier
Dredd
The Raid 2: Berandal
The Double
Calvary
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Sex and the City 2
Godzilla (2014)
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Frank

Holiday

Banned
update 2/50 books 0/50 movies

Permanence and Change: Lectures on the Philosophy of History by Karl Löwith. Some interesting stuff, but a lot of it can be found in his other, more thorough books.

Kunan

A few updates! 0/50 books, 2/50 movies

Movies:
Convinced my friends to go to see American Hustle for me for "secret movie night" cause I wanted them all to try a non-action film in the theatre. What a riot! Whole theatre was really digging it. I was really impressed with all the performances in the film; you could really feel the energy in every shot :D

Also I watched Good Burger as my first movie for the luls

Books:
Just finished the first book in the Wool series. Not sure if it counts since it's pretty short, may combine it with #2 for this list. Really fantastic standalone title, but makes me super happy that it became a 9 book series. Looking forward to continuing my trek through this world! It's essentially Fallout in book form, but with more emotional weight.

Just finished the first book in the Wool series. Not sure if it counts since it's pretty short, may combine it with #2 for this list. Really fantastic standalone title, but makes me super happy that it became a 9 book series. Looking forward to continuing my trek through this world! It's essentially Fallout in book form, but with more emotional weight.

Waiting to pick up my son from preschool and caught this. Wool isn't part of a nine book series, it's the first of three books. Wool, Shift, and Dust. It was originally published piecemeal as a means of testing the market and building up a fan base.

The five "books" of Wool, for example, are segments of the same book and should probably be counted as such. It becomes a 550ish page book, so if you wanted to count that as two entries that's a possibility.

And yes, the trilogy is very good!

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
How are Dark Places and Sharp Objects? They've been on my list since I read Gone Girl but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
I really did enjoy them both. She seemed to get better as a writer between Sharp Objects and Dark Places. I'm excited to read Gone Girl eventually. They aren't exactly well written, but the stories are engaging. Quick, fun, thrilling reads.

Necrovex

Master List

Angels in America- Tony Kushner

Holy shit. A play with two parts (I counted both as one, due to the sheer quickness of reading this). This is one of the most renowned Broadway show ever created, winning a ton of Tony awards, and receiving a marvelous HBO mini-series. I saw the mini-series years back so I decided it was time to read the official play.

Angels in America earns every single praise it has received.

★★★★★

Now I am waiting for The Ways of Kings to arrive in my library.

dmag1223

So, is watching movie adaptions of the books you read frowned upon? I really want to watch Atonement, and am also currently reading the Hobbit.

cashman

Banned
Just got on the board the other day so I'm gonna give it another shot this year. I'm gonna count the super long books as two since they have a handicap for that and I'm a slooooow reader.

Cashman - 0/50 Books | 1/50 Movies

Books:

Movies:
Akira ★★★★★

Currently reading: Brother Karamazov

Bacon

Update: watched spring breakers today, odd film, yet enjoyable. I've also not linked to my other updates so there are 4 other movies there that I've watched this year.

Empty

update:

read metroland by julian barnes which i liked but less so as it progressed. it follows the life of chris lloyd, split into three sections, covering his frustrated teenage years, self-discovery in paris in his early twenties and settling down in his thirties married with kids. the first section is by far the best - barnes is the master at pointedly skewering a certain kind of british try hard intellectual and it makes for hilarious reading here as we follow chris and his friend toni's strange rituals and comradeship in using french writers ideas to show their opposition to bland suburbia. the other sections are engagingly written but more by the numbers and too thin to feel satisfying.

also went to the cinema and saw american hustle which was entertaining but felt more like a loose connection of promotional tapes for a bunch of actors and actresses oscar campaigns. that's maybe a bit of a harsh way of saying that a messy, bloated plot was elevated by dazzling performances but i generally found i cared less about the characters and story than in silver lings playbook or the fighter. louis ck was really good though - i had no idea he was in the film before which was a nice surprise.

I have been distracted by Parks and Recreation, I've watched like 30 episodes in the last few days. The show is too damn funny for me to stop watching

iiicon

well, it seems I've been sent here by Mumei. I don't know how I'll do with movies - the lady and I are more likely to go catch some improv than a movie when we go out - but I'll certainly try to keep up. books should be a breeze.

iiicon | 9/50 Books | 1/50 Movies​
Books
  • No Great Mischief, by Alistair MacLeod [277/277 pages]
  • Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie [477/477 pages]
  • The Thing Around Your Neck, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie [217/217 pages]
  • On Such A Full Sea, by Chang-rae Lee [368/368 pages]
  • Purple Hibiscus, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie [320/320 pages]
  • Why Literature?: The Value of Literary Reading and What It Means for Teaching, by Cristina Vischer Bruns [176/176 pages]
  • No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future of Women, by Estelle B. Freedman [464/464 pages]
  • Please Look After Mom, by Shin Kyung-sook [237/237 pages]
  • Spin, by Nina Allan [100/100 pages]
  • Leaving the Sea: Stories, by Ben Marcus [75/288 pages]
Movies
  • We Were Children, Dir. Tim Wolochatiuk

Tragicomedy - 5/50 Books | 3/50 Movies

So American Hustle...EXCELLENT! ★★★★½ - This is my fourth David O. Russell movie, having seen Silver Linings Playbook, The Fighter, and the criminally underrated Three Kings. This is by far his best film.

For starters, the cast is sublime. The trio of Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, and Amy Adams are perfect in their roles. I've never been high up on Cooper, but he brings so much intensity and energy into the movie. There cast is rounded out by some all-star supporting folks, with Jennifer Lawrence and Louis CK (!!!) being the standouts. Lawrence brings so much humor to the movie. There were a lot more laughs in this than I expected, and the bulk of those came courtesy of her. She's lovably mad. Louis plays the straight man to a T, with the same dryness and deadpan that he delivers on his show. Who casts him in this sort of a role? Wild. Even Jeremy Renner was a surprisingly good fit in the film.

Definitely a great watch.

:EDIT: New participants added!

daffy

Banned
I gotta see American Hustle. I was supposed to last year but couldn't.

I watched A Lonely Place to Die (2011) though and was extremely disappointed that it didn't stick to the man v nature theme started off with in the beginning. So much potential wasted imo. It goes from ambitious psychological horror to a run of the mill thriller.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I saw both August: Osage County and Blue Jasmine today. Both were good. Meryl Streep was batshit insane amazing. A little over the top at times.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Lumiere - 4/5 Books | 3/5 Movies

Finished Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury last night. I actually started it because I wanted to read Something Wicked This Way comes, and heard they were sharing the same setting - thought the description didn't sound too appealing, but ended up loving it. I am still confused though by why I see it listed in science fiction lists somewhat often... the fact that it's written by Ray Bradbury doesn't seem enough to automatically make it SF >_>

Kunan

Waiting to pick up my son from preschool and caught this. Wool isn't part of a nine book series, it's the first of three books. Wool, Shift, and Dust. It was originally published piecemeal as a means of testing the market and building up a fan base.

The five "books" of Wool, for example, are segments of the same book and should probably be counted as such. It becomes a 550ish page book, so if you wanted to count that as two entries that's a possibility.

And yes, the trilogy is very good!
Ah that makes sense. Was wondering what was up cause I bought 9 of them but the first few were so short. I'll just count up as 3 total for the series like you said. I felt a bit guilty about their lengths, and was tripped up due to them being called omnibus editions.

Calvero

Banned
Update

So I finally watched Grave of the Fireflies. :(
It completely depressed me, it was an amazing movie! Can't believe I hadn't watched it sooner.

Calvero

Banned
Update

I just finished. Fuck that book, now I'm depressed :(

Dropped a star because some of it has aged quite badly. Not sure what to read next.

God yeah. I read that book back in middle school and it destroyed me in class. I was bawling my eyes out in stifling tears. Maybe a little exaggerated and I'm just too sensitive, haha.

If you still have no idea about a next book, have you ever read In Cold Blood?

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I just watched Closed Circuit with a friend. Talk about a day full of depressing movies. Holy f. I'd say I should go do something happy, but I'm about to read I think... "Red Dragon," of all things. I decided that's what I want to start next.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm in!
I got a Surface for Christmas and have started reading every night in bed and welcome the extra motivation and reading suggestions.
I actually find it difficult to just choose a book and get started.

I'm making my goal simple though to get started. A book a month is still a huge improvement for me.

For movies I will shoot for the full 50 though, which will please my wife. She is always bugging me to watch movies.

Books 0/15.
Movies 2/50

Books: I have started Ender's Game

Movies:
Pacific Rim - actually really enjoyed it. The internet hate sent me in with very low expectations and I have to admit I dont get the hate.

We're the Miller's - good times. Throw away comedy that was enjoyable enough to watch again. Next year though, I don't have time this year now.

I think they shouldn't, but I don't make the rules. :(
Normally I'd say the same, but working in my studio 8-10 hrs a day, I've taken up the terrible habit of watching trash tv while making. Audio books may change that. Plus I usually have about 10-20 hours of required reading a week, this listening is a nice break.
Still only have the use of a iPhone, but as soon as I have my laptop, I'll update my first post.
Update:
Books 2/50
Just finished female chauvinist pig. A bit dated but I enjoyed it and will write up a longer review later.

Still 1/50 for movies.

Next book:
Either the gift by Lewis Hyde or the end of art by Donald kuspit, probably the latter. I've been putting off Hydes book.

3/50 Books | 1/50 Movies

Finished up The Hobbit (book) yesterday and would give it 4/5 stars. It was obviously a children's book so it lost some luster there for me as everything was too safe and the battles were too rushed. Still a great book that I should have read much earlier in my life.

Saw the Wolf of Wall Street the past weekend and I really enjoyed it (4/5 stars). Scorsese usually does not disappoint and is having a good recent run with Dicaprio.

Getting to 50 movies could be tougher than I thought as I just seem to watch TV Shows (finishing up Arrested Development Season 4).

Starting to read Vaccination: A Zombie Novel.

Okay guys, this Sherlock you people rave about is pretty good. Just got done with the first episode off of randomly seeing it as a suggestion on Netflix.

Nice to see Bilbo managed to make it out alright after the Hobbit.

mfiuza

Another one

Yesterday I saw Pacific Rim. Besides the cheesy dialogues and the strange acting sometimes, it was a good movie overall. The battles were nicely done, no shaking camera or confusing action scenes.Not great, but entertaining.

zoozilla

Apologize for the double post, but it seemed like I should separate my update.

Zoozilla - 2/50 Books | 8/50 Movies

Today I finished Kazuo Ishiguro's When We Were Orphans. It's my second Ishiguro novel, after The Remains of the Day. I have to admit, at first I was pretty disappointed that the voice of Christopher Banks, the protagonist, was so similar to that of Stevens from Remains. Even the structure is the same - diary-like entries, with recent events prompting memories of past events that now have new relevance. After a while, I warmed up to the subtle differences in the characters and the different setting. Overall, Orphans is much more overtly dramatic than Remains, and near the end I thought it almost went too far. There's a pulpy element to Orphans that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. I think I like Remains better - it's more consistent - but I don't regret reading this one, either. ★★★★

Also watched a documentary on Ray Harryhausen - it was pretty standard, but Harryhausen's the man. Seeing his work always makes me smile. ★★★

I really liked A Separation - it managed to be very dramatic without ever feeling false, and it was pretty impressive how Asghar Farhadi resisted painting any one of the characters as essentially good or evil. It reminded me of Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing, in a way. It managed to teach me a little about Iranian culture while also commenting on universal human faults and traumas. I was very impressed. ★★★★

Updated my list 4/50 books 7/50 movies 3 games.

Finished Dr. Sleep by Stephen King. I honestly am not a huge fan of his horror stories in general but I do love the Dark Tower series and his sports writing. I gave this book a chance because he posted a pole to his fans about which book he should write next. A sequel to The Shining or the next book in the Dark Tower series. The sequel won so I was intrigued to see what delayed the book I voted for. I was not let down and Dr. Sleep was quite good.

Also watched Side Effects last night. My wife was flipping through Netflix movies and it came up. The cast is good, the writing is decent, the ending was great an overall joy to watch and I recommend the movie to anyone that has some time and Netflix.

I am almost done with Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I should have read this book ages ago it is brilliant and amazing.

Empty

Today I finished Kazuo Ishiguro's When We Were Orphans. It's my second Ishiguro novel, after The Remains of the Day. I have to admit, at first I was pretty disappointed that the voice of Christopher Banks, the protagonist, was so similar to that of Stevens from Remains. Even the structure is the same - diary-like entries, with recent events prompting memories of past events that now have new relevance. After a while, I warmed up to the subtle differences in the characters and the different setting. Overall, Orphans is much more overtly dramatic than Remains, and near the end I thought it almost went too far. There's a pulpy element to Orphans that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. I think I like Remains better - it's more consistent - but I don't regret reading this one, either. ★★★★

heh. just as a heads up pretty much all ishiguro's books are written like that - an artist of a floating world in particular which is basically remains of the day in japan (though i like it quite a lot), but also never let me go and to a lesser extent pale view of hills (i haven't read the unconsoled yet). they all have similar voices and approach to first person narration and an emphasis on the unreliability of our subjective interpretation and filters on memories, while tackling different ideas within that voice and having some unique nuances, like you identified.

i liked orphans a fair bit less than you though. i felt like his obsession with his parents was tackled with much less subtlety than the issues in remains of the day and the more plot focus in the second half lost me, as i didn't feel it was his strength.
especially when he actually meets his old friend in the warzone, which felt too coincidental and the twist with uncle philip too ridiculous.
. i liked being taken to shanghai in that era however, very interesting setting and i had fun looking at pictures of 30s shanghai online afterwards.

I finished Revenge: Eleven Dark Tales by Yoko Ogawa last night. The title is misleading. It was a chilling read; the stories' effectiveness come from both the fairly obvious and superficial links among the stories and the stories' content. The text is beautifully written, and it feeds the confusion about what is real and what is fiction in the world that the stories create. It might seem like a Murakami knockoff, but I would compare Ogawa more to Borges and Poe.

Makonero

So I just finished Ann Napolitano's A Good Hard Look, which I picked up on sale at Borders when it was going out of business. I picked it up on a whim due to the subject matter: my favorite author of all time. Flannery O'Connor, queen of the southern gothic grotesqueries, was featured as a character in the book and despite my misgivings, I impulse-purchased it.

Flannery O'Connor is the closest thing I have to a literary crush. Between her sharp prose, her tragic life story and her devout Catholicism, I have nothing but respect for her and her writing. So of course I was unsure if I wanted to read a fictionalized version of her. I couldn't imagine that anything good would happen to her, and if it did, I wouldn't like it.

So it took this challenge to push me to finally pull it down from my collection of books (currently stored in a multitude of boxes in my parents' attic) and open it. I finished it in three days, and I have to say that it wasn't terrible.

It wasn't great either.

If you include a character as striking as Flannery O'Connor, I expect the prose to be snappy, terse, filled with unique details and a definite sense of setting. I had none of this. The prose felt similar to the sanitized writing I was taught in creative writing classes as an undergrad, lacking character or authorial voice of any kind. The craftsmanship was certainly there, like a set of unadorned walls, floors and ceilings, but the world feels hollow. The characters just bounce off each other, events happen without much character agency, and I felt Flannery O'Connor's steely gaze and wry smile as I read it, knowing that in her hands these characters would have been much uglier and the world they inhabit less spare and sanitary. The plot was pretty much by the numbers and I felt that the characters were too predictable. The best O'Connor short stories throw a monkey wrench at your expectations and shock you; this novel did not shock me at all.

I also felt that much of the writing surrounding critical events was obscured. This happens often when a writer is unsure of their ability to portray important events the way they appear in their head. I'm not sure if that's what happened, but I was disappointed that some of the very important action happened off screen, or in between words. I was also disappointed in the ending. I expect tragedy when Flannery O'Connor is involved, but the ending was too upbeat and positive for the events depicted. It should have ended forty pages sooner.

Ultimately, even though the subject matter was good, the flaws detracted from the experience. I feel that the overall whole is tainted by O'Connor's legacy. Having her in the story is the high point, to be sure, but it forces me to draw comparisons which leave this novel in a very poor light.

Alright, I'll give this a shot, the eternal slog of Anna Karenina ruined my chances last year.

Secks4Food - 34/50 Books | 24/50 Movies

Books:
1.) Wild at Heart by John Eldredge
2.) Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig
3.) The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
4.) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
5.) Lord of the Flies by William Golding
6.) Self Reliance by Ralph Waldo Emerson
7.) The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
8.) The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
9.) Inferno by Dante Alighieri
10.) As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
11.) Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
12.) Good-bye, Mr. Chips (and other stories) by James Hilton
13.) Peace is Every Step by Thich Naht Hanh
14.) Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
15.) The Creative Companion by SARK
16.) Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
17.) Porno by Irvine Welsh
18.) The Richest Man in Babylon by George S Clarkson
19.) Filth by Irvine Welsh
20.) Mastery by Robert Greene
21.) The Book of Secrets by Deepak Chopra
22.) Skagboys by Irvine Welsh
23.) The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
24.) How to be Compassionate by the Dalai Lama
25.) The Heart of Tibetan Buddhism by Osho
26.) Mastery by Robert Greene (reread)
27.) Wild at Heart by John Elderidge (reread)
28.) Anthem by Ayn Rand
29.) The Pearl by John Steinbeck
30.) The Red Pony by John Steinbeck
31.) The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
32.) Glue by Irvine Welsh
33.) The House of the Dead by Fyodor Dostoyesvsky
34.) The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra

Movies:
1.) Aladdin
2.) The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
3.) The Jerk
4.) Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
5.) August: Osage County
6.) Dallas Buyers Club
7.) That Awkward Moment
8.) The LEGO Movie
9.) Vampire Academy
10.) Spirited Away
11.) Muppets Most Wanted
12.) Divergent
13.) Mr. Peabody and Sherman
14.) Noah
15.) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
16.) The Count of Monte Cristo (2000)
17.) The Grand Budapest Hotel
18.) Neighbors
19.) A Million Ways to Die in the West
20.) Godzilla (2014)
21.) The Fault in Our Stars
22.) This is Where I Leave You
23.) Interstellar
24.) The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies

Necrovex

Master List

I often don't do well in relationships (or even getting into one), most have ended within a month span. I have often averted myself away from a real-life relationship (though I have gotten better over the years). The reason for this preface is the understanding that I could relate to the Theodore, the protagonist in Her. Based in the (hopefully) near future, Spike Jonze examines the relationship between a human and an AI. Now this has been done before, but usually in a poor manner. *cough* MASS EFFECT 3 *cough*

The premise was intriguing enough and the trailer done well enough for me to give this a try. And holy hell, I did not expect to witness another movie that made me feel as much as I did for 2012's Perks of Being a Wallflower (but moreso). Jonze does a fantastic job in exploring a man's connection to an artificial intelligent. The expectations of this being believable was low, but the execution is perfection and my mind reflecting the Jackie Chan meme. Many issues one could expect from such a relationship is touched upon. I won't go into details, since that would spoil many of the great elements.

Theodore and Samantha are both complex and endearing characters. The side characters are also likable. The cinematography and colors are mindblowingly great; every shot is taken with care. The music is another highlight. Arcade Fire handled the OST, and they did not disappoint. I usually find AF overrated, but I now find myself relistening to their older albums, having a greater appreciation for the band. Thanks, Her!

I recommend every Gaffer to go out of their house and see this wonderful film.

★★★★★

Most likely my 2013's Film of the Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom