• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Chef Brigade - Iron Chef mixed w/ fantasy RPG, 2016 on Steam and consoles

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
hT5ETWMt.png

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/iron-chef-in-a-world-of-monsters-and-magic/1100-6417206/

Ch2XkFx.png

Trinket Studios, a trio of game makers from an independent games collective on the Chicago outskirts, is looking to do just that. Their game--Battle Chef Brigade--aims to capture the intensity of today's cooking competitions and blend it with all the spellcasting and dragon slaying of the fantasy role-playing genre.

Trinket Studios' promise for Battle Chef Brigade is "fantasy Iron Chef." If all goes according to plan, you will be able to enter the battle pantry, slay a dragon, and bring its tasty meat back to the kitchen for preparation. Afterward, your pan-seared, herb-crusted fillet of dragon will face tasting and judging by a panel of experts. It's a three-stage cooking contest that will let you experience the thrills of creature combat alongside creative cooking.

"Right now the plan is to make Battle Chef Brigade a sort of 2D action game mixed with platforming and plenty of big, scary creatures to get ingredients from," said Tom Eastman, president of Trinket Studios. "We've been playing a lot of Samurai Gunn and Awesomenauts at the office, and those are both great examples of the action we're after. We haven't nailed down our style of combat just yet, but the prototype has plenty of monster slaying."

All this monster slaying will go down in the battle pantry. Like the rest of the game, the battle pantry is a work in progress, but the team has several ideas on how this arena could function. You may be able to snack on collected items--instead of bringing them back to your kitchen--for a quick boost in power, or jockey against other chefs who invade the pantry for the best ingredients. When your pouch is full, you will return to your kitchen and turn these disparate items into a delicious dish.

For Trinket Studios, letting you put your own spin on a recipe is extremely important. Good food follows a checklist, but great food knows when to deviate. "We're currently finding a balance between predetermined recipes and adding your own personal flair," said Eastman. "For instance, you can make a pie--and that's not especially complicated--but in that pie you could add fruit or meat or make it into some weird fruit-meat-seafood pie. We want to allow that, and then have the judges give you points. We don't want you to just be locked into predetermined recipes."

Battle Chef Brigade's food pairings are pulled from a combination of real-world ingredients and high-fantasy foodstuffs--from water and flour to eyeball eggs and unicorn horn shavings. This combination of real and imaginary has many advantages for the team. "The fantasy wrapper lets us have ingredients that people don't know intimately," explained Eastman. "We can say that dragon meat is tough and people will accept it, whereas if you have a chicken, people know what that's supposed to feel like." This is a cooking game after all, not a cooking simulation.

"We figure that the more real-life recipes we have, the more assumptions people will have about how things are made," Huang added. "We don't want people having to question why the judges didn't like their mom's lasagna recipe, or their grandma's apple pie. If you're dealing with new ingredients, then everyone is on the same page, whether you're a professional chef or just a kid. You're all learning this new world together."

Looking ahead, Eastman, Huang, and Perez are hoping to have a playable Battle Chef Brigade appetizer ready for PAX East ahead of the game's proposed release date on PC and consoles later this year. It's an aggressive schedule, meaning the heat is definitely on for this small team. Thankfully, Trinket Studios understands what makes the culinary arts so appetizing, and their mix of creatures and cutlery has got me excited for the main course.

Looks like you'll be getting a few sous chefs to help your character out:

Gr5Sf8B.png

2wADUCI.png

Concept art:

csBzHsA.png

CAxBqj4.png

Judging panel:

qhNMbStl.png

Gas, charcoal, or wood?

None of the above! Just use magic:

TJiRjFp.gif

You can track progress on the studio's developer blog: http://www.battlechefbrigade.com/blog/

Some neat animation progression recently posted there:

v2WszPY.png

bZdFun8.gif

5kIYJxK.gif

pqvmbGB.gif

Zabant

Looks like it has potential.

Will be keeping my eye on it.

I feel making any kind of comment on a game early in dev can be a little harsh but if I had to offer some advice, the font, character art and environment aesthetics don't really mesh well together.

The painterly cooking stations look odd with the sharp looking characters.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Looks like the three man team used to work together at Disney Interactive in the past.

http://www.trinketstudios.com/about/

Trinket Studios is a Chicago-based independent game studio co-founded by industry professionals Tom Eastman, Eric Huang, and Ben Perez. Together they focus on the rapid development of small games with big character.

Tom, Eric and Ben met in 2009 while working for Disney Interactive’s Wideload Games. Over the next three years they collaborated on Disney’s Guilty Party (Wii, 2010), Avengers Initiative: Hulk (iOS / Android, 2012), and a host of unannounced projects.

this looks amazing, I wonder how they'll handle the cooking part, they describe you can make your own recipe but how will the points be calculated from custom recipes, I hope they have way to avoid trial and error to figure out which ingredient work with what ingredients.

I mean how the hell do we know whether unicorn horn shaving work great on chicken meat or something.

Jintor

I just hope they zoom in a little more for the chef shots - seems a bit wide angle. But i'm sure that's just concept art

LOVE the concept and idea, but I need to see more gameplay. The first two shots make it look like a throwaway mobile/tablet game. (Visuals are great though.)

Ooh. I really, really like this idea. It's so simple, so semi-jokey - but they're playing it mostly straight. I'll hold out judgement until we see some actual gameplay - but if this is just Cook, Serve, Delicious x Rogue Legacy (or maybe Muramasa) - I'm down. The whole promise of open-ended recipes sounds ambitious, hopefully it doesn't just boil down to predictable combinations of what works & what doesn't.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dat cooking animation.
This look like the game that i always wanted.
I love reading culinary comic and anime, and sure as hell enjoy doing cooking mini game on suikoden 2

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
First thing I thought about was

22-PSOGL408.jpg

Suikoden Cooking competitions were great.

But this is quite different! I could see this working either as a single player, or multiplayer game... either way, love the animation, the characters... it's taking something fairly mundane and making it into something grand.

Really very interested to see how the balance of battle and cooking gameplay works out.

Platy

The animations look more fiting to a fighting game, but I don't know

They are awesome, just looks kinda "damn started a combo... will go to the bathrom while this end" for an action game

Arthea

First thing I thought about was

Suikoden-II-cooking-competition.jpg
Suikoden Cooking competitions were great.

But this is quite different! I could see this working either as a single player, or multiplayer game... either way, love the animation, the characters... it's taking something fairly mundane and making it into something grand.

Really very interested to see how the balance of battle and cooking gameplay works out.

It's the first thing that came to my mind too. So would like new Suikoden with cooking competitions, fishing, gambling, duels, castle building, politics and wars. :(

This game does look interesting, I just hope they'll make gameplay fun, it has fun and nice looks already.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The animations look more fiting to a fighting game, but I don't know

They are awesome, just looks kinda "damn started a combo... will go to the bathrom while this end" for an action game

It makes me feel like they're animatiors and character designers making a game... where lots of time now-a-days, you get games made by people who act as if they just want the character to do the bare minimum in order to exist.

Her little combo up there looks like a 4 press auto-combo, with a few different enders. That doesn't seem too overly-involved. It's not like she's going "Super Robot Wars" on each enemy, or anything like that.

It's the first thing that came to my mind too. So would like new Suikoden with cooking competitions, fishing, gambling, duels, castle building, politics and wars. :(

This game does look interesting, I just hope they'll make gameplay fun, it has fun and nice looks already.

I think Suikoden is one of the few series with mini-games and distractions everywhere... that I never felt was sloppier because of it. I guess because it gave characters reasons to exist; I couldn't believe we had an Iron Chef rip off in Suikoden 2, and then all these stage plays in Suikoden 3... I bet they'd get Hatsune Miku-esque dancing and tower defense-style mini games in there now, if they made a modern one...

ANYWAY, I really hope this particular game here can deliver. If either side of the battling of cooking comes up as behind undercooked, it could really ruin what looks to be a great idea.

Top Bottom