• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first cruise! experienced cruisers what should I know / bring?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
What exactly are you nervous about? Its a vacation, on a boat. Thats all. Enjoy it like you would any other vacation.

bg_SurgeProtectorBuyingGuide_hero_image.jpg

Never go on a cruise without one, Cruise rooms usually have like 1-2 Power outlets, it's awful if you have alot of electronics with you.

Also bring basic meds and such, and empty bottles too, You can sneak on booze

n64coder

Read up the NeoGAF of the cruising messageboard I found cruises to be a lot of fun. My only recommendation is to eat the same way that you do at home. It's very easy to gorge yourself on the food.

They usually have nice gyms on the ship so I would take advantage of those so you don't gain any weight on the trip.

Cudder

I've been on a Disney cruise and a Carnival one. Nothing really out of the ordinary to note, I just hope you have calm waters. Getting seasickness on vacation is terrible.

n64coder

One more thing. If you're interested in doing excursions, I recommend booking them yourself via the CruiseCritic board. It's a lot cheaper than the on-board option. Just check out the port-of-call section of the board to find out potential activities and reputable names of companies that provide the service.

I had read somewhere about sneaking clear alcohol onto cruises by purchasing a 24 pack of bottled water then taking the center 8 or so bottles and replacing the water with alcohol and putting them back in the pack. I'm not sure if it would work or not but it seems likely they won't check all of the bottles.

statham

buy motion sickness pills before the cruise, they are like $8 for a 4-pk on the boat, room service (besides the tip) is free, order like crazy.

n64coder

Getting seasickness on vacation is terrible.
I do recommend buying some sea sickness patch to have handy in case the waters get rough. I never have any issues but on our last cruise, my youngest daughter was queasy and crying that I had to run down to the gift shop to buy something for it. It was $15 for a little bottle of lavender oil. I'm sure it's much cheaper at your local pharmacy or Amazon.

NastyBook

Depending on where you're headed, hit the real beaches up in the daytime, then get you ass back to the ship before nightfall.

Rel

you can order plastic see-through bags online to get liquor on board. i forget the name of them, rum smugglers or something. worked like a charm on the cruise i went on.

mackattk

Don't overpack clothes - you can reuse the same ones as needed.

If you use eyeglasses, bring an extra pair.

Formal night - Carnival doesn't require a tie, so at the very least bring some decent dress/sunday clothes.

Feel free to bring some bottled water or soft drinks to keep in your hotel room. You can ask the steward/strewardess to empty out the minifridge in your room to keep your drinks in there. It was a little annoying late at night when I wanted something to drink. They have 24 hour room service, but water isn't on the list of free room service.

It is VERY easy to spend money while you are on the cruise, just be conscious of where your money is going. At least it was for me. It was nice to get away from everything and not have to worry about work, school, everything. Carelessly spending money to pay for overpriced drinks is something I succumbed to a few times without thinking about it.

When you first get on the ship, park your bags into your room and go explore and see what all is on the cruise. Also, review the daily brochure to see what events are and what times that they start at. I really enjoyed some of them. My favorite was probably a Jeopardy type game.

Bring sunscreen, advil, and other supplies. They have them on the ship but they are expensive.

If you want to buy pictures, you can go and look at them each day and put them aside on one of the shelves. They don't throw away any of them, so don't feel pressured to think they might toss them each day. You can save them all up until the last night of the cruise and go through them.

If you plan on drinking soda, buy the soda pass the first day you get on. I kind of wish I bought one on my cruise.

Sometimes they will pass out alcoholic drinks as you board, those aren't free.

Review excursions before you book them. If you are going to Nassau, stay on the ship. I didn't care for the island AT ALL. A lot of the non-sponsored excursions are better than the ones that the cruise line will offer. Don't be afraid to look at those.

Trying to think of some other things. I have only been on two cruises so far.

LEAVE YOUR CELL PHONE OFF OR IN AIRPLANE MODE

Yeah, this. A lot of the cruise ships have some cell phone reception that your phone can connect to. If you do this it will result in some nasty, nasty bills.

Christopher

Don't overpack clothes - you can reuse the same ones as needed.

If you use eyeglasses, bring an extra pair.

Formal night - Carnival doesn't require a tie, so at the very least bring some decent dress/sunday clothes.

Feel free to bring some bottled water or soft drinks to keep in your hotel room. You can ask the steward/strewardess to empty out the minifridge in your room to keep your drinks in there. It was a little annoying late at night when I wanted something to drink. They have 24 hour room service, but water isn't on the list of free room service.

It is VERY easy to spend money while you are on the cruise, just be conscious of where your money is going. At least it was for me. It was nice to get away from everything and not have to worry about work, school, everything. Carelessly spending money to pay for overpriced drinks is something I succumbed to a few times without thinking about it.

When you first get on the ship, park your bags into your room and go explore and see what all is on the cruise. Also, review the daily brochure to see what events are and what times that they start at. I really enjoyed some of them. My favorite was probably a Jeopardy type game.

Bring sunscreen, advil, and other supplies. They have them on the ship but they are expensive.

If you want to buy pictures, you can go and look at them each day and put them aside on one of the shelves. They don't throw away any of them, so don't feel pressured to think they might toss them each day. You can save them all up until the last night of the cruise and go through them.

If you plan on drinking soda, buy the soda pass the first day you get on. I kind of wish I bought one on my cruise.

Sometimes they will pass out alcoholic drinks as you board, those aren't free.

Review excursions before you book them. If you are going to Nassau, stay on the ship. I didn't care for the island AT ALL.

Trying to think of some other things. I have only been on two cruises so far.

I truly truly appreciate this response thank you

I'll post where im going later!

mackattk

Forgot to add, at dinner you can order as little or as much as you want (appetizers are single servings, fyi). But you want three appetizers? You can have that. Two entrees? Sure, no problem.

They will also have assigned seating for dinner unless you have anytime dining. You may be seated with another couple. You can ask for a private table the first night and they may be able to accommodate you and set you up for the rest of the cruise.

Wilsongt

Carnival?

Pack a floatation device and a very bright light to SOS any ships in the distance. Also, probably some fire proof clothing.

I bought the alcohol pass once and boy was that fucking expensive.

I technically got my money's worth, but at the end of the day I just felt like an alcoholic.

I would recommend not buying that.

The unlimited soda was pretty cheap though for all you can drink sugar water.

Wilsongt

I can say one thing about cruise food: I certainly shit on a regular schedule when I am on a cruise as opposed to at home.

mackattk

I bought the alcohol pass once and boy was that fucking expensive.

I technically got my money's worth, but at the end of the day I just felt like an alcoholic.

I would recommend not buying that.

The unlimited soda was pretty cheap though for all you can drink sugar water.

I think it was $50 a day at the carnival cruise I went to for the alcoholic pass. The soda pass was like $23 for a 5 day cruise.

If you do buy alcoholic drinks on the cruise, tips are included in the receipt you sign. Not sure what happens with tips when you have the pass.

Christopher

You stopping in St. Maarten?
If So let me know I'll buy you a drink!

Miami, FL ---- 4:00 PM
Explore this Port

2/24/2014 Fun Day At Sea ---- ----
2/25/2014 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 7:00 AM 4:00 PM
2/26/2014 Cozumel, Mexico 10:00 AM 6:00 PM
2/27/2014 Belize 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
2/28/2014 Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan 8:00 AM 3:00 PM
3/1/2014 Fun Day At Sea
3/2/2014 Miami, FL

I wish, next time I hope that drink offer is valid!

Seth C

You can't even feel the waves on most cruise ships

That's so completely untrue. There were nights on my cruise where I could walk own the hall and see the entire ship shifting, and one night at the show the ship was rocking so hard that it was throwing me forward in my seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom