• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I'm getting a 3D printer, school me on what I need to know GAF!

jason10mm

Gold Member
The wife got me a Elder-3 Max Neo, which seems to be a middle of the road beginner 3D printer. What are the go to sites for learning this stuff, or the best programs? I see folks talk about swapping programs for printing out widgets for various types of building projects, board games obviously, toys, etc. Anyone got some "things I wish I knew when I started" stories to share? I'm keeping my expectations in check about how easy this is gonna be, sounds like there is a bit of a learning curve with how to get the filament to flow correctly and how to support a complex object, plus it seems like it takes a LONG TIME.

But I really just wanna know what program to load and what type of plastic lets me print this...
2tQNA9R.jpg

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There are sites with free designs like thingyverse and others.

Filament costs more money than you think it does, careful printing big projects willy nilly.

Filaments absorbs ambient humidity and some materials get wrecked meaning your prints will be shit.

Prints will fail.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

Filament costs more money than you think it does, careful printing big projects willy nilly.

Filaments absorbs ambient humidity and some materials get wrecked meaning your prints will be shit.

Prints will fail.
Does it absorb during the print or before? Any way to avoid it like vacuum sealing it?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Once printed you are ok. The problem is “wet” filament leading to failure. Sure, vacuum sealing it will work. This is more about storing than if you buy one spool, spend it then buy another.
I can store stuff in a sealed cooler with a dehydrator if necessary. Hell, I probably should be using golden rods for my ahem ahem adult toys ahem ahem anyway though where
i live with near constant A/C the humidity indoors is typically 40-55%. I'm not planning on much "Artisitic" stuff ATM so I don't think I'll have a lot of colors but this is good to know.

Eotheod

Prints will fail.
Filament most definitely does not cost more than you think it does. A 1kg of PLA filament in Australia costs $28-$36 depending on colour or effect. It also goes far longer than though of if you don't infill at 100%. A comfortable 20-30% infill ensures some solid structure to the item while getting more out of your filament.

OP, your best tool is Cura for slicing your 3D images. It allows you to select from a database your printer and has a stupid amount of profiles. It also allows you to tweak all settings at whatever sensitivity you would like. I would also recommend searching on YouTube for a how to level your bed video based on your printer.

My other recommendations to you if you are going to be serious enough to make your own models and not get the stupid amount off thingiverse then get yourself a handheld 3D scanner. These are extremely cheap now as they are very common and quite adapt at converting scans to 3D images. You will probably need to import these into a program like 3DS Max just to tweak the actual 3D model, or paint 3D for a free version.

I would also recommend if it is not already on your printer magnetic printer base, as these are incredibly useful for extracting the model off the bed. Anything else is really learnt on the go I found, but welcome to the world of 3D printing where truly your imagination is your limit.

Oh, there is also barely any shrinkage on a PLA printed model.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just don't 3D print a gun..
Awww man, that's literally the first thing I did!

Anyway, I assembled to tonight. Crazy looking thing, it's a magic world that this thing only costs a few hundred bucks. I found a website that has like 20 improvements that you can print yourself, stuff like wire management brackets, fan covers, etc. Pretty wild. I've bought some 3d printed widgets off etsy before, its cool that I can do it myself now.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm planning to buy a 3D printer. Is the one you bought good? Update when you try it out.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
So, just a little update, THIS THING IS DOPE!!!! I have a queue a mile long of toys and knicknacks my kids want printed. Getting the z-axis adjusted took a little trial and error and the print bed needs a little glue TLC at times, but so far most things are printing well. It's easy to get carried away though, not everything is that straightforward. Learning the cad design is more tricky, I'd like to print some stuff specific to various projects but I'm a total noob at that stuff. A 3D scanner sounds good though if it lets me get stuff done faster with regards to measurements and whatnot.

jason10mm

Gold Member
which one?
That you don't NEED a 3D printer, obviously.

OF COURSE we are all 3D printing guns!!! :p

I'm actually curious if there are 3D printable "sheets" of snap together models like those wood puzzle things from Rokr.

Can I print the parts to make this?

VfLUiXP.jpg

or even better...

mRNKH67.jpg

which I'm guessing is a bunch of smaller pieces glued together.

Trilobit

So, just a little update, THIS THING IS DOPE!!!! I have a queue a mile long of toys and knicknacks my kids want printed. Getting the z-axis adjusted took a little trial and error and the print bed needs a little glue TLC at times, but so far most things are printing well. It's easy to get carried away though, not everything is that straightforward. Learning the cad design is more tricky, I'd like to print some stuff specific to various projects but I'm a total noob at that stuff. A 3D scanner sounds good though if it lets me get stuff done faster with regards to measurements and whatnot.

Feel free to post pics of your creations!

Forsete

Gold Member
For practical prints (when you get there):
Start learning Fusion 360. It is amazing and there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

You can get a personal licence: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal

I went from pirated Solidworks, Fusion is much easier to get into.
And it is more fun designing your own stuff compared to downloading other peoples design.

For a durable machinable plastic which can tolerate high heat and being outdoors (when printing practical stuff) I recommend ASA plastic. It is like ABS but does not smell as much when printing (it stills smells), is considered easier to print and has a better UV resistance.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So, after a few more upgrades this thing is working pretty well. Wife needs some props for a halloween setup at her work? No problem! A few minutes searching and there are movie specific gizmos rolling off the printer. Silver filament, BTW, pretty dope!

I designed my first "original" print file, a mask from some game my kid plays. A bit thick, not quite symmetric, but hey, its a fatherly labor of love, right?

5tbkA0O.jpg

You can see the support scaffolding from underneath this frisbee-esque mask after I chiseled it away. Could tweak stuff to get a smoother surface, I'm sure, maybe a few passes with a heat gun or some solvent? This thing is a trove of wonders, gonna take my cosplay game to a whole 'nother level!

So far I've added a creality sonic pad (I think you can build one yourself for less, but oh well), a camera for remote viewing, a LED light bar, and the best one, a PEI magnetic pad. Shit sticks to that thing like glue when it's hot, slides right off when it has cooled. Much better than the painters tape and glue stick I was having to do with the factory glass pad. Just note the Edner 3 max neo already has a layer of insultation under the heat bed, already has dual Z axis, a metal extruder thingamabob, and a levelling probe, things often recommended for the other entry enders. I bet I could get a $600ish printer with even more features, this seems to be a game where you get what you pay for, but so far this is meeting my needs. Got a hygrometer and a few dessicator packs for the filament rolls. Had some firmware code issues, I'm going to have to learn how to write g-code? because it seems like that is critical for fine tuning the prints.

Gonna tackle a chess set for my son next. So many creatives doing the hard work for yah :p

Tams

So, after a few more upgrades this thing is working pretty well. Wife needs some props for a halloween setup at her work? No problem! A few minutes searching and there are movie specific gizmos rolling off the printer. Silver filament, BTW, pretty dope!

I designed my first "original" print file, a mask from some game my kid plays. A bit thick, not quite symmetric, but hey, its a fatherly labor of love, right?

5tbkA0O.jpg

You can see the support scaffolding from underneath this frisbee-esque mask after I chiseled it away. Could tweak stuff to get a smoother surface, I'm sure, maybe a few passes with a heat gun or some solvent? This thing is a trove of wonders, gonna take my cosplay game to a whole 'nother level!

So far I've added a creality sonic pad (I think you can build one yourself for less, but oh well), a camera for remote viewing, a LED light bar, and the best one, a PEI magnetic pad. Shit sticks to that thing like glue when it's hot, slides right off when it has cooled. Much better than the painters tape and glue stick I was having to do with the factory glass pad. Just note the Edner 3 max neo already has a layer of insultation under the heat bed, already has dual Z axis, a metal extruder thingamabob, and a levelling probe, things often recommended for the other entry enders. I bet I could get a $600ish printer with even more features, this seems to be a game where you get what you pay for, but so far this is meeting my needs. Got a hygrometer and a few dessicator packs for the filament rolls. Had some firmware code issues, I'm going to have to learn how to write g-code? because it seems like that is critical for fine tuning the prints.

Gonna tackle a chess set for my son next. So many creatives doing the hard work for yah :p

What design software are you using?

I use resin printers, fundamentally different technology and material. But STL's can be found on Telegram. Also - prints will fail no matter the tech, be kind to yourself as its a learning process.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I use resin printers, fundamentally different technology and material. But STL's can be found on Telegram. Also - prints will fail no matter the tech, be kind to yourself as its a learning process.
I see some resin printers on insta, do they all pull UP from a pool of resin, and if, how dat work? It's magggiiiccc :p

I'd like to get to where I can print really nice mech minis, space ship models, and the like. Probably require a nozzle change and a lot of optimization, but seems like a good goal. Though the wife would be happy if I spent all year making glow in the dark pumpkins to really kick ass on Halloween decorations next year :p

Just bought an Elegoo Neptune 4 Pro. Hope I can finally get some halfway decent minis for D&D.

Note, yes I am aware of the issues with minis on FDM printers, but I'm not dealing with the toxic resin fumes in the house.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I'm gonna hijack this thread. I want to buy a resin printer. I was thinking Elgoo Saturn. After doing some research, it seems there are two things to be mindful of:

- There is a strong odor while it is printing
- You need to ventilate properly while printing because the fumes are toxic

I live in an apartment. Would it be safe to print indoors? How strong are the fumes? Would it be safer to set it up on my balcony? If i did, would it bother my neighbors?

Tams

I'm gonna hijack this thread. I want to buy a resin printer. I was thinking Elgoo Saturn. After doing some research, it seems there are two things to be mindful of:

I live in an apartment. Would it be safe to print indoors? How strong are the fumes? Would it be safer to set it up on my balcony? If i did, would it bother my neighbors?

Definitely ventilate it. Inside with a proper extraction fan and piping would be best.

I wouldn't do it on your balcony unless you can guarantee the machine will be sheltered from the elements.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Definitely ventilate it. Inside with a proper extraction fan and piping would be best.

I wouldn't do it on your balcony unless you can guarantee the machine will be sheltered from the elements.
I live in a pretty mild climate so temperatures stay pretty constant, but I can definitely construct something to protect it. My main concern there would be no poisoning my neighbors.

Jorav

Buy a filament dryer. You'd be surprised at how much moisture some brand new sealed rolls have. I started with an ender and now have a Bambu X1C and A1 mini. Enders have good user made firmware such as Marlin which gives you more features.

Learn Fusion 360 or OnShape, you can then design things. Tinkercad is limited in its resolution so your print quality suffers.

I buy middle of the range filament and never go for the cheapest stuff, full or tangles, inconsistent diameter filament. I don't print too much so i can justify paying a little bit more.

If you have FB there alot of 3d printing groups though they're flooded with dumb questions or people complaining about certain products, but there's some good info there if you look.

Depends mostly on the resin, sunlu ABS doesn't smell much and is very affordable.

You'll need to ventilate somehow, if you can keep it near an open window that should be fine. If you keep it outside then obviously keep it protected, you also need to keep in mind temperature changes. Printers like warm resin.

You'll need a few litre of IPA or methylated spirits to clean (post processing in printing vernacular).

There's a lot to it, but it's a cool hobby. Just keep in mind that resin is a toxic material so don't be a dick with it. IE buying 'water washable' resin and pouring that dirty water down drains etc

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

The Saturn has a built in carbon filter that takes care of about 80% of the smell while it's printing, and an exhaust port where you can mount a fan and some tubing to blow the rest out the window. You will still probably want to mask up while you are changing it over or washing and curing. I haven't seen any compelling studies that the fumes are super harmful, but it's wild West times so better safe than sorry.

Cyberpunkd

Awww man, that's literally the first thing I did!

Anyway, I assembled to tonight. Crazy looking thing, it's a magic world that this thing only costs a few hundred bucks. I found a website that has like 20 improvements that you can print yourself, stuff like wire management brackets, fan covers, etc. Pretty wild. I've bought some 3d printed widgets off etsy before, its cool that I can do it myself now.
Someone is making bank on Amazon by 3D printing the handle that allows you to open salt container in a dishwasher. I remember that shit was stuck a year ago, tried everything before I bought one.

Top Bottom