• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Intro to Fountain Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sera O

Banned
The falcon is beautiful. I've recently started getting along a bit better with my Ahab and tried to like flex writing more, but the nib is not that fine to begin with, so it seems like the variation isn't as dramatic as I would like. It's also kind of a gusher.

As for the Hobonichi Techo, nice!

I found a daily squared layout for my midori traveler's notebook but it's not the same without those sometimes goofy quotes. I have photos of those Nagasawa inks, but keep forgetting to replace my lost cable so I can upload them, sigh.

hobart

...a Midori mention...

I have one myself (passport). Where do you purchase your refills and/or accessories? Best place I found is Goulet -- but I've noticed from off their website that there are more accessories that he does not offer.

Sera O

Banned
I have one myself (passport). Where do you purchase your refills and/or accessories? Best place I found is Goulet -- but I've noticed from off their website that there are more accessories that he does not offer.

You're right that Goulet has the most traveler's notebook stuff, short of ordering from Japan. I've gotten a couple of things that the local stationer could order in for me, but it's through a distributor that has a limited selection.

For accessories, what do you like best? I really liked the passport size but I tend to pack stuff into the notebook I carry with me, so I ended up with the regular one. So far I haven't gone beyond extra bands, the squared diary refill, the zippered pocket, and sticky pockets. I also got one of the mini pen loops that's meant for pen clips. Once wrestled onto the cover, it's surprisingly secure! I keep a pilot metropolitan in it all the time now.

hobart

You're right that Goulet has the most traveler's notebook stuff, short of ordering from Japan. I've gotten a couple of things that the local stationer could order in for me, but it's through a distributor that has a limited selection.

For accessories, what do you like best? I really liked the passport size but I tend to pack stuff into the notebook I carry with me, so I ended up with the regular one. So far I haven't gone beyond extra bands, the squared diary refill, the zippered pocket, and sticky pockets. I also got one of the mini pen loops that's meant for pen clips. Once wrestled onto the cover, it's surprisingly secure! I keep a pilot metropolitan in it all the time now.

Just looking for something to catch my eye. Amazon also has a surprising selection of items -- but that's because of their partnership with other vendors. I'm just looking to spice up the notebook a bit -- knowing I can readily get an item appeals to me.

Here are a couple of my pens. I apologize for the lighting - I just wanted to quickly snap them and post them before I forgot.

1NlVkR0.jpg

Guy in the back is a pen my fiancée got me for Christmas. Pilot Stargazer in Ruby Red. This pen is amazing. Pilot's Fine writes finer than any Extra Fine I've ever used. Small pen -- but if you are like me and enjoy small pens -- you'll really like this one. Quality all around for a GREAT price (14k nibs are not a cheap get).

Guy in the front has been with me for some time. Montblanc Bohem with an Onyx stone. The line never really picked up and this one isn't even made anymore. They sold a lot of Bohems with retractable nibs and they really tried to push cartridge use (you can load it on other models through the back of the pen). This pen is the reason I like smaller pens -- I frequently write with my pens unposted.

hobart

Does the Stargazer use the same nib as the Custom 74 and Custom 92?

Looks like the Customs 74 and 92 use a #5 Pilot nib. The Stargazer uses a #3.

And, if I may, that is a lovely collection you have. I've got a sharp eye on a vanishing point next.............

MR4001

The Capless/Vanishing Point is superb. That little nib is amazing - especially when teamed with some Iroshizuku ink. Go on - you know you want to...

Oh! if only I could afford the Raden...

b30iiTr.jpg

Three-hundred and seventy-eight pounds...

hobart

Have you seen it in person? I'm told it's quite breathtaking. I'm not a "sparkle" guy -- apparently its extremely unique.

Can't believe the prices out there. Goulet has her for about $100 (50 pounds) less.

MR4001

Have you seen it in person? I'm told it's quite breathtaking. I'm not a "sparkle" guy -- apparently its extremely unique.

Can't believe the prices out there. Goulet has her for about $100 (50 pounds) less.

Alas, no, only photographs and videos online. I, too, am not one for scintillation but the Raden has a certain subtlety - very cosmos-y.

The thing is, though, anything over around two-hundred quid would have me too scared to really use it. The Falcon and 1911 are my limit.

Forsete

Still love and use my FP every day. :)

I got a small one, Kaweco Liliput in brass. It is awesome, and small. I can have it in my pocket and I dont feel it. It is the fisher space pen of fountain pens.

MR4001

Still love and use my FP every day. :)

I got a small one, Kaweco Liliput in brass. It is awesome, and small. I can have it in my pocket and I dont feel it. It is the fisher space pen of fountain pens.

Excellent. That's it now, there's no turning back. Soon you'll be wanting another, and then another...

That Liliput in brass is lovely! Where did you get it from? When I first came across it it was a retailer exclusive (for Manufactum).

Broseybrose

Just got the set of 4 Pilot Parallel Pens (6mm, 3.8mm, 2.4mm, 1.2mm) to go with my dip pen and nib collection. I find the Parallels to be quite easier to use the the nibs so I really love them! They are the go-to calligrapher's pen.

MR4001

Anyone here with a Kaweco Classic Sport (or Ice Sport)? Through a mix-up, I've a brand new extra-fine nib (and section) in black and gold that someone can have for nothing. I've no use for it, and it's far too good to just throw away or forget about. NeoGAF gets first dibs, but the deadline (before I put it up on FPN and it likely gets snapped up within hours) is the end of this week.

Anyone here with a Kaweco Classic Sport (or Ice Sport)? Through a mix-up, I've a brand new extra-fine nib (and section) in black and gold that someone can have for nothing. I've no use for it, and it's far too good to just throw away or forget about. NeoGAF gets first dibs, but the deadline (before I put it up on FPN and it likely gets snapped up within hours) is the end of this week.

I'll take it...sent you a PM :)

Also, thanks for introducing me to the Hobonichi Planner, after taking a look at it, I ended up buying one for me and my fiance. Couldn't be happier with it!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just got a 1.1 italics nib last week for my Lamy Safari. Really digging it as it adds some pizazz to my everyday writing.

Forsete

Excellent. That's it now, there's no turning back. Soon you'll be wanting another, and then another...

That Liliput in brass is lovely! Where did you get it from? When I first came across it it was a retailer exclusive (for Manufactum).

I bought it from Manufactum together with a brass ruler from Japan. :p
The Liliput has aquired a nice platina already, I'll take some pictures later.

Picked up a Pilot Varsity recently for kicks, first time trying out a fountain pen. Don't really like it, feels very scratchy and about 20% of the time the "flow" or whatever will just cut out mid-word. Kind of compelled to try out a less shitty one, though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Picked up a Pilot Varsity recently for kicks, first time trying out a fountain pen. Don't really like it, feels very scratchy and about 20% of the time the "flow" or whatever will just cut out mid-word. Kind of compelled to try out a less shitty one, though.

Yeah the Varsity fountain pens are horrible. You should try a Lamy or Sailor pen instead but those are a bit more expensive than a varsity pen

MR4001

I bought it from Manufactum together with a brass ruler from Japan. :p
The Liliput has aquired a nice platina already, I'll take some pictures later.

I look forward to the photos!

I got myself - I needed something that could handle being bashed about in my pocket (determined to always have an FP at hand now!) - one of those lovely raw aluminium AL Sports - just like yours. The little thing - I always pictured the Sports as being bigger... - is the perfect pocket pen! (Saving my Capless like one saves a fancy watch now.) I'm currently running Kaweco Paradise Blue - a nice turquoise - in it. (Kaweco's QA seems to be a step above Lamy's [and Pelikan's...] which is nice.)

jb1234

That's been my issue with the brand too. But in fairness, I don't think I'm a fountain pen kinda guy...

MR4001

The brass Kaweco Liliputs have gone on general sale - available at Cult Pens here. Totally going to get one - I just can't help it! Don't need one, but...

17Qc5ut.jpg

Ah...

Azulsky

Are Monteverde inks generally super wet?

I got an Intima and put in the blue cartridge and it still wipes badly after 30 seconds.

Tried it on the 80gsm paper used in the Banditapple Carnet notebooks.

Whatever the stock cartridge that comes with the Pilot Metro is loved this paper, likewise for Varsity Ink.

Maybe I should just get a bottle of Pilot Ink and fill the Monteverde with it using the piston converter.

zchen

Are Monteverde inks generally super wet?

I got an Intima and put in the blue cartridge and it still wipes badly after 30 seconds.

Tried it on the 80gsm paper used in the Banditapple Carnet notebooks.

Whatever the stock cartridge that comes with the Pilot Metro is loved this paper, likewise for Varsity Ink.

Maybe I should just get a bottle of Pilot Ink and fill the Monteverde with it using the piston converter.

Monteverde's bottled Inks are lubricated so they do flow more than usual, not sure if that is the case for their cartridges as well.

MR4001

Talking of nice inks, has anyone else seen this good news? Sailor're bringing back some of their previous special edition inks, including the fabled Yama-dori.

IMG_2204.jpg
IMG_2202.jpg

In other news, I've just sent a cheque off this afternoon for a 1930s Parker Vacumatic in Silver Pearl. Excited!

OgjCK8A.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ugh. Met someone with an Waterman Edson today.

3-1.jpg

Why is it so expensive and why must I be left-handed?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Talking of nice inks, has anyone else seen this good news? Sailor're bringing back some of their previous special edition inks, including the fabled Yama-dori.

IMG_2204.jpg
IMG_2202.jpg

In other news, I've just sent a cheque off this afternoon for a 1930s Parker Vacumatic in Silver Pearl. Excited!

OgjCK8A.jpg

I hate you so much. That ink looks amazing.

I'm so adult. I filled out my tax forms with a fountain pen.

And damn did I look good doing it.

What's the next step up after varsity? I want to play more. Maybe something with an italic?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I'm so adult. I filled out my tax forms with a fountain pen.

And damn did I look good doing it.

What's the next step up after varsity? I want to play more. Maybe something with an italic?

I still love Pilot Plumix pens. I use those for lots of "normal" writing. The italic nib is scratchy, but in a way I like.

For a more serious pen, MR4001 steered my eye towards TWSBI's offerings. I have a Diamond mini in 1.1 stub (=italic) that I adore. Very smooth, it displays your beautiful ink, it's just really damn nice.

I hope you used a waterproof ink for your taxes. o_O

MR4001

Seconding Bagels, if you want to give an italic nib a go take a look at the Pilot Plumix. It's an odd looking pen but it's very reasonably priced and well-built. And at around eight dollars you won't regret buying it if you find italic nibs arn't to your taste. If you really like the nib you can even stick it into a Pilot Metropolitan easily.

Lamy also offer italic nibs. Most retailers just stock the Joy but a few will happily put an italic on a Safari or AL-star (or other models) for you at no extra cost - The Writing Desk and The Goulet Pen Company come to mind.

I mixed my own custom ink the other day: took some Lamy Turquoise and tainted it with a little Lamy Black to create a colour I call Magpie; the colour is very similiar to the blue-green flashes magpies have on some of their feathers. Will try and post photos soon, if anyone's interested.

sdSGyaG.jpg

Talking more Lamy, they've released the 2014 Safari special edition: it's in 'NeonCoral':

kuhRy62.jpg

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
The fact that these threads keep going brings joy to my (hand-drawn) heart.

Because people keep asking for it (either seriously or in jest - I don't care!), I'm finally making a thread on ballpoint pens. Fuck it. I'll cast aside (or gently place in a velvet-lined box) my exquisite TWSBI diamond mini and pick up my Bic cristal.

PM me any favorites! Links to Amazon or similar are much appreciated!

As someone who had and enjoyed several Pilot Varsity pens, what's the next step up that I should purchase when I finally run out of the Pilots?

hobart

I will second the choice of a Lamy Safari or Al-Star. Really solid daily fountain pen at an excellent price. You can also change nibs if you so choose. Work with a cartridge or converter. I love Goulet's selection - but you can save a few dollars by getting one off of Amazon.

I have a TWSBI Mini as my office daily. I can't say enough about this company that may have already been said in this thread. Very quality. I don't think you will go wrong with any of their selections.

In your position -- I would step to the Safari/Al-Star. If you wanted something slightly better in quality -- then go to an TWSBI. I have both... maybe soon you will too. ;)

MR4001

As someone who had and enjoyed several Pilot Varsity pens, what's the next step up that I should purchase when I finally run out of the Pilots?

As has already been said, there's the classic Lamy Safari (and AL-star). They come in a wide range of finishes and there's a good selection of nibs.

There's also the Pilot Metropolitan/MR. Not so funky as the Safari, but, like a Honda Civic, they're dependable.

There are also the plastic Kaweco Sports. They're cartridge-only (unless you want to fiddle about with them), so your selection when it comes to ink is instantly slimmed. That said, they've a certain old-fashioned charm, and are of a nice quality.

Oh, don't forget the Sailor Lecoule and the Platinum Balance/Cool. - And something vintage like a Parker 45!

Azulsky

Damn I have missed out on a few good Massdrops for fountain pen stuff

Hopefully they will do other inks in the future and maybe the black matte barrel + black plated Pilot Vanishing Points.

That italian pen they have on now looks pretty cool though I dont know how I feel regarding steel nibs.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
As has already been said, there's the classic Lamy Safari (and AL-star). They come in a wide range of finishes and there's a good selection of nibs.

There's also the Pilot Metropolitan/MR. Not so funky as the Safari, but, like a Honda Civic, they're dependable.

There are also the plastic Kaweco Sports. They're cartridge-only (unless you want to fiddle about with them), so your selection when it comes to ink is instantly slimmed. That said, they've a certain old-fashioned charm, and are of a nice quality.

Oh, don't forget the Sailor Lecoule and the Platinum Balance/Cool. - And something vintage like a Parker 45!

Yup - I still say Lamy Safari for the combination of low price, good quality, and ready selection of nibs and converters.

I JUST lost my Kaweco Sport and it's driving me insane. I love that pen! It writes beautifully and, closed up, it's the perfect size for a pocket fountain pen. Where the shit is that pen?!?!

I like all things Pilot, and MR4001 is my pen guru, so Pilot Metropolitan MUST be good.

I've followed Sera O's awesome advice and started rinsing out old carts for basically all of my pens and refilling them with a syringe. I love grabbing samples from Goulet pens (I signed up for the monthly ink drop, too, which is super fun!) and trying them out. There's a nice synergy between my Pilot Parallel calligraphy pens, which use a ton of ink, and the Pilot Plumix, which will take the same cart. I have a collection of Plumix pens ready to try out new inks in. I put a little slip of paper in the clear body so I know what's in each one. I like the Plumix in general, so it's a nice way to have a lot of colors available and test out inks I might be interested in for the Parallels or my workhorse TWSBI diamond mini.

MR4001

Pelikan have announced two new pens, one a new model. First is a special edition M200 in 'Cognac'; second (and more exciting) is the P200: a cartridge version of the piston M200 - looks pretty nifty.

EOjGadi.jpg

oRIgE2v.png

Oh - the Cognac will be available with an italic nib, too.

Was kinda hoping for a better disposable unit. While I like the Varisty, the nib isn't absolutely like a nib on a typical fountain pen. I lean towards disposable due to people simply walking off with pens sometimes. Always working on paperwork/drafts with a group and sometimes people borrow and don't return.

The Capless/Vanishing Point is superb. That little nib is amazing - especially when teamed with some Iroshizuku ink. Go on - you know you want to...

Oh! if only I could afford the Raden...

b30iiTr.jpg

Three-hundred and seventy-eight pounds...

It's pretty cool looking, yes. I have one :)

MR4001

Was kinda hoping for a better disposable unit. While I like the Varisty, the nib isn't absolutely like a nib on a typical fountain pen. I lean towards disposable due to people simply walking off with pens sometimes. Always working on paperwork/drafts with a group and sometimes people borrow and don't return.

The only other disposable FP I know of is the Platinum Preppy, and that's not really any better than the Varsity/V-Pen.

I suppose you could get a multipack of Hero 616s, but the quality can range from meh to bloody awful.

Yeah, I'll probably just go on and get a refillable/cart one and just keep it stashed away and safe from grubby hands.

The aerometric converter is the refill mechanism for the Pilot Metropolis, correct? That's the type where you dip the tip of the nib into the pool of ink and pull up a lever?

So if I wanted to get a Metropolis or a Lamy and Iroshizuku ink, is there some type of issue when refilling a pen with a different type of ink? Issues with the ink blending or anything?

MR4001

Yeah, I'll probably just go on and get a refillable/cart one and just keep it stashed away and safe from grubby hands.

The aerometric converter is the refill mechanism for the Pilot Metropolis, correct? That's the type where you dip the tip of the nib into the pool of ink and pull up a lever?

So if I wanted to get a Metropolis and Iroshizuku ink, is there some type of issue when refilling a pen with a different type of ink? Issues with the ink blending or anything?

Aerometric is the filling system used in a number of Parkers, famously the Parker 51.

The Metropolitan comes with a squeeze converter, but can be fitted with a piston converter. The squeeze works by, well, squeezing! The piston by twisting. Take a look at this: http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/fillers/fillers.htm (Look at Piston and Squeeze Bar.)

The Metropolitan'll work with any ink - apart from, of course, non-FP inks like India ink. Iroshizuku won't pose a problem at all. You'd needn't do anything special.

When it comes to changing inks you'll want to flush the pen with some water first (and let it dry): empty the pen, rinse the nib under a gentle-flowing tap, using a clean cup (or similiar container) filled with clean water fill and empty the pen repeatedly until everything runs clear (don't forget to change the water when it gets too inky) and then wick the nib and feed by gently holding it in some kitchen paper and leave at least a few minutes to air dry.

I'll try and find a video or two that will better illustrate the above for you.

MultiCore

Bagels, you dog, I've purchased a Pilot Parallel, Pilot Plumix, Noodler's Ahab, and a bottle of Noodler's Heart of Darkness that came with an eyedropper Platinum Preppy since I read this thread.

I lost the Plumix, but it was a good pen. Love the Parallel, actually. The Ahab is awesome, but I'm going to have to fidget with the feed. The preppy is a surprisingly normal writing utensil.

Anyway, I have zero previous fountain pen experience, and it's all your fault I'm sending money on pens now! Good work, and peace be with you, comrade.

Sera O

Banned
Bagels, you dog, I've purchased a Pilot Parallel, Pilot Plumix, Noodler's Ahab, and a bottle of Noodler's Heart of Darkness that came with an eyedropper Platinum Preppy since I read this thread.

One of us. One of us.

I have come to appreciate my Ahab a little more after a very long getting-to-know-you period. The smell at first was really awful, like coconuts and rotting swimsuits. Luckily, that smell has faded somewhat.

Guys, my resolve to not buy more ink was kind of short-lived. . . I was trying to stay away from this thread once the falcon and raden started showing up too. Temptation is just too strong. Yamadori sheen is making me drool, why do you do this to me MR4001.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom