• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 is a "major success", XSEED Games facing stock issue

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Xseed has published in Europe though. That being said, it was on the Digitally on the Vita. Nintendo probably requires a European address to publish at all in the Europe.

Is unchained blades on the EU eShop?

Atlus USA is self-publishing Conception II in Europe in the eShop, so I suppose not.

I guess maybe they needed Neverland to alter the game to include Marvelous AQL Europe, but why can't they just publish it digitally using the XSEED name? They have already done it before with at least one Marvelous AQL game, like Valhalla Knights 3.

Oh well, congrats to XSEED and I guess reprints makes it cheaper to import when the time comes.

Eusis

Xseed has published in Europe though. That being said, it was on the Digitally on the Vita. Nintendo probably requires a European address to publish at all in the Europe.

Is unchained blades on the EU eShop?
Marvelous owns the series, owns XSEED, and is publishing Senran Kagura in Europe. Something weird and screwy happened with RF4 likely due to the developer's death. Especially since we have seen a few weird bugs crop up in English only Europe releases so I guess something still needs to be done when being released in Europe.

ohlawd

lol I bought this game at launch and I haven't put in more than 5 hours. I'm overwhelmed by it, iunno why. I need a general outline on how to tackle my days.

but yeah, you go XSEED. Awesome company.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
3 and 4 are neck and neck.

4 has:

A better framerate
Better audio
less glitches

3 has:

A better cast
A better overarching story.

I'd give the nod to 4.

Hubb

lol I bought this game at launch and I haven't put in more than 5 hours. I'm overwhelmed by it, iunno why. I need a general outline on how to tackle my days.

but yeah, you go XSEED. Awesome company.

Just play it. There is no time limit so enjoy yourself and don't worry about how much time is passing by.

So RF4 is gonna be the last one?

There will almost certainly be more. The producer of the series said this after the bankruptcy announcement

How are you guys enjoying Rune Factory 4?

I’d like to take this occasion to make a comment about the future.

As of now, it’ll still remain a secret as to what kind of title we’ll be releasing next, but I can say that the staff members are still doing great.

I will leave it at that for now, and I thank you for your continued support.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/2...res-brief-message-future/#C1Fpo3kYfJ6VEkYz.99

Mr-Joker

Banned
Basically this. Seriously, I'm tired of this. Atlus just proved they can publish in Europe on eShop. Yet, none of XSeed or Atlus is doing it. What's wrong with them ?

It isn't as simple taking the US version and sticking it up on the European 3DS e-shop, they might have to make some changes to the games for it to pass European rating board and they can't do that if the original developers have gone bankrupt.

Hubb

Why didn't they encourage people to buy digital in their statement though?

Not a bad point. I can only assume they think people looking for a physical copy want a physical copy and probably already realize it is on the eshop. Just like when Fire Emblem Awakening first released, there were people who waited for it to get restocked instead of buying the eshop version.

-Horizon-

Good to know that they'll still be stocking physical copies at retailers. I was thinking I would have to go digital purchase for his one.

It isn't as simple taking the US version and sticking it up on the European 3DS e-shop, they might have to make some changes to the games for it to pass European rating board and they can't do that if the original developers have gone bankrupt.

Unless I hear otherwise, I wont believe it. I could understand if it was another company who need to make some changes like logos and such. But I really doubt that it requires that much of a work to make it happen.

Volcynika

Unless I hear otherwise, I wont believe it. I could understand if it was another company who need to make some changes like logos and such. But I really doubt that it requires that much of a work to make it happen.

You should probably know more about the inner workings of how the process works before acting like it's such a simple process.

Eusis

Did anyone else pick up the rights to Rune Factory or is it dead now after 4?
Marvelous always owned the IP I believe, just that Neverland developed it. Think of it as similar to Bungie and Halo, now that Bungie's gone from Microsoft they have 343i developing the games. Similar thing here, except gone period rather than breaking ties with the company, though I wouldn't be surprised if a new developer largely composed of Neverland staff formed and would develop the series from this point onwards.

Hobbun

There will almost certainly be more. The producer of the series said this after the bankruptcy announcement

But who will develop it?

I know it was unavoidable in this case (with the developer going bankrupt), but I hate changes when something is going well. New people always have new ideas.

Obviously you see little changes from game to game, but the core gameplay of the RF franchise has always remained the same. I just don't want to see some drastic change(s) because someone new takes over.

Lumyst

Yay! Glad to hear it sold beyond expectations! Until Rune Factory I didn't know about the roller coaster of emotions that fans of "niche" games felt when tracking sales. Lately I've reminded myself that the only way I learned about the series was through "grassroots means" through NeoGAF, rather than traditional adverstising, so I recently set my streetpass greeting to "Get Rune Factory" so that when I take my 3DS to college, the Mario and Pokemon gamers see that there is more to their Nintendo console than Nintendo franchises! I hope that some of the "tangible enthuthiasm" of a fellow student who walks the same grounds as them spurs a few of them to be interested in finding out about Rune Factory 4. I was surprised to find that a couple people at my college do have the game already though, one responded "Already have it ;-)" when I checked the streetpasses, and the other was just "Recently Played: Rune Factory 4" which was a surprise to see among the Pokemons and the Marios.

I liked Animal Crossing, and Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life so I've been thinking about giving this series a try. Can I jump into this one or do I need to play through 1-3 first?

Can't they just publish it on European eShop ? I mean come on, it's not like they have to change something, just put some files on a store.............

If some XSeed PR person see this message, I hope he could clarify about my question...

No, they cannot. And, yes, it is like they'd have to change a lot of things.

US release ≠ EU release

You cannot just release a game in the states and then magically toss it into another territory.

1) Programming -

There are programming changes required for any title being released in the EU. Region settings, swapping out digital manuals (see below), changing the age levels as per new ratings (below - below), correcting and terminology within the text that is required (US terminology ≠ EU terminology), etc. This requires a development team. XSEED is just a publisher, not a developer, and has no programmers. Without a team to make internal changes, there is no localized release.

And if you hope to maximize your release by having multiple languages... that's a whole different can of worms.

2) Testing -

Different versions (US versus EU) of games require separate first-party (SONY, NOA, Microsoft, etc.) testing before being allowed to release it into the market. Just as it was tested in the states, it would need to be tested by NOE.

3) Territory Registration -

Before you can even do testing (or release, obviously) in a territory, especially for digital releases, there are accounts that need to be set up, proposal forms to submit (just because you have a game doesn't mean they are going to publish anything), approvals, and any number of paperwork submissions required to set up your game in another country. If you think I'm counting pennies by adding this here, you're wrong. It's impossible to release a game without filing it properly and it takes time/effort.

4) QA Testing -

To confirm all programming changes made to release an EU product are in place and not suddenly showing up in Greek or crashing the game, this is another step before you even submit for first-party testing. You want to make sure everything is correct in a new territory version because they will fail you for the things I mentioned in #1 in a heartbeat, and you will have to start all over again. Turnaround for the final testing can eat A LOT of time, FYI.

5) Manual -

As mentioned above, EU release requires an EU manual (this can involve changes to terminology, logos, legal lines, etc.). Changes have to be made and then kicked to the dev team for implementation.

6) EU Rating -

People always seem to forget this one, but to release games in the EU you need a rating just like the US. Only, with the EU, if you hope to release in all countries possible, this can require several different rating agencies to evaluate your product. This means sending a separate submission to each one and a separate fee. It's neither free or cheap in some cases or swift.

These are but a few of the basic loc department things required in order to release in another territory. This does not include any of the trial and tribulations of the sales and or marketing team (metadata creation, content descriptions, content descriptions translated into multiple languages, etc.). It's not easy, it's not free, it requires internal programming changes, and it takes a lot of time.

I hope the above has helped.

Retishi

XSEED Sales
Pretty much everything H.Protagonist said, with the addition of another major factor - internal politics on who should be publishing what where.

Eusis

Pretty much everything H.Protagonist said, with the addition of another major factor - internal politics on who should be publishing what where.
I don't think that was a big deal in this case, Marvelous announced it, Natsume seemed to be cut out of the loop entirely, and Marvelous owns XSEED. I think from that end it was actually really cut and dry.

The problem was Neverland collapsing. You can see in her post how important it is to have a developer around for this stuff, and the stories on RF4 localization show that it's kind of a messy game in that regard, nevermind that there was at least one bug (screwy 3D implementation) to fix. What we basically had was a specialized expert on a job get assassinated out of the blue and so the job can no longer be completed, and I'm sure for a month or so Marvelous was looking for possible alternatives before they were exhausted.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't think that was a big deal in this case, Marvelous announced it, Natsume seemed to be cut out of the loop entirely, and Marvelous owns XSEED. I think from that end it was actually really cut and dry.

The problem was Neverland collapsing. You can see in her post how important it is to have a developer around for this stuff, and the stories on RF4 localization show that it's kind of a messy game in that regard, nevermind that there was at least one bug (screwy 3D implementation) to fix. What we basically had was a specialized expert on a job get assassinated out of the blue and so the job can no longer be completed, and I'm sure for a month or so Marvelous was looking for possible alternatives before they were exhausted.

Yeah, that's certainly what I'm getting out of H.Protagonist's post.

The process is certainly more involved than people might initially think, but it's still totally manageable as long as the developer is on board and assisting with changes.

No, they cannot. And, yes, it is like they'd have to change a lot of things.

US release ≠ EU release

You cannot just release a game in the states and then magically toss it into another territory.

1) Programming -

There are programming changes required for any title being released in the EU. Region settings, swapping out digital manuals (see below), changing the age levels as per new ratings (below - below), correcting and terminology within the text that is required (US terminology ≠ EU terminology), etc. This requires a development team. XSEED is just a publisher, not a developer, and has no programmers. Without a team to make internal changes, there is no localized release.

And if you hope to maximize your release by having multiple languages... that's a whole different can of worms.

2) Testing -

Different versions (US versus EU) of games require separate first-party (SONY, NOA, Microsoft, etc.) testing before being allowed to release it into the market. Just as it was tested in the states, it would need to be tested by NOE.

3) Territory Registration -

Before you can even do testing (or release, obviously) in a territory, especially for digital releases, there are accounts that need to be set up, proposal forms to submit (just because you have a game doesn't mean they are going to publish anything), approvals, and any number of paperwork submissions required to set up your game in another country. If you think I'm counting pennies by adding this here, you're wrong. It's impossible to release a game without filing it properly and it takes time/effort.

4) QA Testing -

To confirm all programming changes made to release an EU product are in place and not suddenly showing up in Greek or crashing the game, this is another step before you even submit for first-party testing. You want to make sure everything is correct in a new territory version because they will fail you for the things I mentioned in #1 in a heartbeat, and you will have to start all over again. Turnaround for the final testing can eat A LOT of time, FYI.

5) Manual -

As mentioned above, EU release requires an EU manual (this can involve changes to terminology, logos, legal lines, etc.). Changes have to be made and then kicked to the dev team for implementation.

6) EU Rating -

People always seem to forget this one, but to release games in the EU you need a rating just like the US. Only, with the EU, if you hope to release in all countries possible, this can require several different rating agencies to evaluate your product. This means sending a separate submission to each one and a separate fee. It's neither free or cheap in some cases or swift.

These are but a few of the basic loc department things required in order to release in another territory. This does not include any of the trial and tribulations of the sales and or marketing team (metadata creation, content descriptions, content descriptions translated into multiple languages, etc.). It's not easy, it's not free, it requires internal programming changes, and it takes a lot of time.

I hope the above has helped.

Well, I didn't knew about this. But does it mean it's done forever ? Or can't you just do this job and hope it does well in Europe too ?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I really, really like this game. It's my first experience with the series and it really clicked with me. Glad to hear it is doing well.

Sora_N

This game hasn't gone on sale in Canada, because only one store carries it (EBgames). There is still some stock at EBgames but the other retailers ordered like 1 copy or something.

I hope it's not hard to find later.

Will buy a copy when more physical ones are available. I've still not jumped into the franchise but love the idea.

Were any of the wii rune factories good?

By the way, a lot of people deal with imports, so if you could, please ship some copies to eStarland and Play Asia, it's been sold out for ages. :p

Will buy a copy when more physical ones are available. I've still not jumped into the franchise but love the idea.

If you are a fan of the series, sure, but the main handheld entries are much better.

Get RF4 and if you want more, hunt for RF3.

I'm very happy it was a success for the people at XSEED. Really really sad the developer went under because with what a success this game has been in both territories I'm sure they would have gotten the green light for 5.

If you really want it just get the game digitally. In hindsight that's what I would have done. I didn't realize the post-game gets very disgaea-esque in it's stats and crafting (max level is 50,000). Right now I'm a little torn because I would like to move on to some different games but I can't get myself to stop being such a completionist.

I'm curious H.Protagonist, does a publisher have any control or say in its games Miiverse activity? RF4 is one of those games that is missing from Miiverse entirely and it bums me out. It's the 3DS game I'd like to share screenshots of the most.

Hatsuu

XSEED
I don't think that was a big deal in this case--

Hahaha. He's the EVP of XSEED, so I would count that as very important, since he would know about how delicate internal politics are better than most!

Also, I love you forever, Jess. You make word things far better than me.

I'm curious H.Protagonist, does a publisher have any control or say in its games Miiverse activity?
I'm not her, but we don't really have control over that as far as I know.

Indeed. I also have many other valuable things to say on my other area of expertise: bacon.

Well, I didn't knew about this. But does it mean it's done forever ? Or can't you just do this job and hope it does well in Europe too ?

I couldn't say. It would take programming and the EU rights, neither of which are in play, I'd imagine.

I should add, that despite my enduring tag, I'm no longer the Localization Manager at XSEED, so I can only comment on things I actually do know about, e.g. the torrid affair that is releasing a game (in general). Just FYI.

Hells yes. Rune Factory: Frontier, my good sir. I'm totally biased, though.

I'm very happy it was a success for the people at XSEED. Really really sad the developer went under because with what a success this game has been in both territories I'm sure they would have gotten the green light for 5.

If you really want it just get the game digitally. In hindsight that's what I would have done. I didn't realize the post-game gets very disgaea-esque in it's stats and crafting (max level is 50,000). Right now I'm a little torn because I would like to move on to some different games but I can't get myself to stop being such a completionist.

I'm curious H.Protagonist, does a publisher have any control or say in its games Miiverse activity? RF4 is one of those games that is missing from Miiverse entirely and it bums me out. It's the 3DS game I'd like to share screenshots of the most.

Cheers, RuneFactoryFanboy. As for your question: We haven't had any experience with it, so in our case, no, I'm afraid.

Hahaha. He's the EVP of XSEED, so I would count that as very important, since he would know about how delicate internal politics are better than most!

Also, I love you forever, Jess. You make word things far better than me.

I'm not her, but we don't really have control over that as far as I know.

You just love me because I used to stock the fridge with coffee milk.

I ordered this from Amazon at the beginning of January, but it was backordered until the end of February. Luckily, I found it at a brick and mortar store.

So, yeah, it is selling well.

Top Bottom