• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people suddenly against the 3DS now?

Jubenhimer

The Nintendo Switch is looking to have a very strong first year. Kicking off with a bang in the form of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, followed by at least one major first party release nearly each month. But it's not just the Switch that's getting lots of content. The 6 year old Nintendo 3DS also has a surprisingly busy lineup this year. We've already gotten an enhanced port of Yoshi's Woolly World and Tank Troopers, but also Fire Emblem Echoes, Bye Bye Box Boy, Hey Pikmin, Ever Oasis, the US release of Miitopia, a new Kirby Multiplayer game (plus 2 other digital Kirbys), a leaked remake of Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga and even a new entry in the latest Pokemon generation titled Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and that's not even touching on the 3rd party games for 2017.

You'd think this would be a good thing, but many people are annoyed that Nintendo is continuing to support the 3DS even when their new console-handheld 2-in-1 has released. People want the 3DS to die so that Nintendo moves everything to the Switch and has a completely unified platform. But why is it a bad thing the 3DS still gets support for a little longer after its release? I mean, this isn't even the first time Nintendo's done this. Even after the DS released, the Game Boy Advance continued to get a steady stream of first party games for 2005. Granted, the DS was backwards compatible, but other than that, it's the same situation here. Nintendo's going to continue to support the 3DS for the remainder of 2017, and even early 2018.

I don't see why people are so against a successful platform continuing to get support. Nobody was complaining about the PS2 getting games even after the PS3 released, So I think you can deal with 240p for at least another year. Nintendo putting 99% their software development and production resources towards the Switch will happen, just not this year, and Nintendo would be making a mistake killing the 3DS now.

Besides, I'd rather the 3DS go out gracefully and with a bang, rather than come to a screeching, anti-climactic halt like the Wii U.

I think it's just because Switch is a more appealing portable platform.

But I'm alright with more 3DS games, I'm excited for Culdcept and Ultra Moon!

Kyzer

Banned
People just love their Switch and fail to realize theyre still hard to find and not that many people have them yet, while wanting new games to play on it

Mcdohl

This is the kind of problem BC usually deals with.

Switch is a special case though.

The argument many have I guess is that they see the 3DS as something that is cannibalizing Switch sales.

People aren't against the system. It's the fact that after playing on what really is a handheld capable device that outputs a brilliantly sharp 720p image, they don't want to go back to a 240p screen. Switch is also a lot more comfortable to hold for most people.

Scrawnton

Because when it comes to video game systems there is a time to move on. It is now time to move on. It's time for Nintendo and TPC to move on.

LordRaptor

People decided that PS360 were pieces of shit "holding back" their games pretty much the second PS4 / X1 launched

sinonobu

Banned
Playing games on 240p screen hurts after experiencing Switch.

But I'm still hyped for games like SJ/Pokemon USM!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Because they tasted the glorious Switch screen and can't go back. Understandable, but shortsighted as hell

I dont care, the 3DS is a fantastic handheld and am happy it's getting great support even in its final years. I mean, why wouldnt anyone be fine with it?

Just the way some people are. I cant really explain it. If a platform is not supported by someone, they wish that platform to crash and burn hard for whatever reason.

Weird thing, they wont get anything out of it if the platform gets discontinued. There's no gain whatsoever from a platform going away.

Razlo

I want the option to play these games on Switch as well. If I could do that, I wouldn't be as annoyed with more 3DS games.

Zafir

Well, people have always wanted a version of Pokemon on home consoles, and if it was on Switch, it could be. People got their hopes up, and then were disappointed when it didn't pan out.

I dunno, people will get over it, it's just a sore spot at the moment.

RPGam3r

The Switch is that much better of an experience for me. I don't want to need my 3DS anymore, I want to play upcoming games on Switch. 3DS was awesome, but it is not where I want my games to be going forward.

Alex

Screen resolution.

I continue to use it, I've owned three of them but for me it's screen resolution, has been since day one

If it had been say...480p, I'd have never complained but 240p, which is sub PSP with frequently more detailed 3D visuals just makes for a very unappealing image, IMO.

But in the end, if it's what I have to deal with for the games then that's that. I just hope to put it behind us before too much longer.

brawly

Because most people would gladly move on from a six year old system that was outdated the day that it released to a system that's new and shiny.

People really want the switch to be a success. Nintendo can't rely on third party titles the way Sony does. As a fan you feel like the big N needs to put all its effort to make this new console succeed.

Oregano

It depends what you're talking about. DQVIII, Ever Oasis and Monster Hunter Stories are all cool but does/did 3DS really need another Pokémon, another Fire Emblem, another Mario and Luigi and another Monster Hunter?

It's six years old and its library is already plenty fleshed out. They don't need to keep milking it and dragging it out.

The Argus

Because of Nintendo's limited resources any new 3DS game feels like one less game for the Switch. Coupled with the feeling that the Switch is also a portable machine, why isn't the focus on the Switch?

Of course, the 3DS has 12x the install base, plus many of these new titles have probably been in the works for awhile now. So I'm personally not upset, but I do hope we see a major focus on the Switch moving forward.

Lil Marco

Banned
I actually just got a n3DSxl the other week along with a bunch of games and I really enjoy it.

My last DS was the original one in 2004.

Hope there's continued support in the future. The next DS, if it will exist, needs to have a modern era screen though. Going from my iPhone's 1920x1080 to this 800x240 crap is really jarring.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It hilarious how some folks get so bent out of shape over the 3DS getting potentially more software released for it.

I frankly love my 3DS and I'm excited for Hey Pikmin and Ever Oasis.

Jubenhimer

You answered the question yourself. DS was BC with GBA. 3DS was BC with DS. PS3 was BC with PS2...You get the idea

Actually, only certain GB models of the PS3 were backwards compatible, most versions of the system, especially the later ones, weren't backwards compatible.

Scrawnton

People really want the switch to be a success. Nintendo can't rely on third party titles the way Sony does. As a fan you feel like the big N needs to put all its effort to make this new console succeed.
And the irony is that with the exception of Pokémon it does seem like Nintendo is behind the Switch full force. It's just that Pokémon coming to Switch would've been a sign that Nintendo really isn't messing around.

I don't think I've ever been a huge fan of the 3DS. It's HW felt dated the moment it released. It's design never clicked with me the same way the DS's did. The 3D feature was useless to me help the console back IMO. I also hate that it was responsible for smash bros wii U being held back.

The switch is just such a superior product that I could never go back to playing my 3DS. I'm not just talking about the fact that it's like 1.5-2 generations ahead of the 3DS graphically either. It's just an all round better piece of HW.

I don't mind some games coming out on 3DS and I understand why some have went that way. I can see the financial sense in it. I guess for me I just want to see the switch fulfill the promise of bringing together Nintendos handheld and console development teams and producing the greatest line-up they've ever had on one platform.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I'm sorry, but I've always hated the 3DS, so I wouldn't be sad to see it go. I'm fine with games still being made for it, if they're also ported to Switch (like Fire Emblem Warriors) but that should stop next year as well. 3DS has had its time to shine, it's done and needs to die soon. Nintendo needs to put all of its attention and focus on making their new platform work.

People believe the switch is nintendo's new handheld, when in fact it's nintendo's new home console with a handheld feature. The 3DS is still nintendo's main handheld device and will continue to get new / nintendo handheld games until a next generation DS / gameboy comes out.

Because people are tired of 240p gaming. The Switch has shown us the light.

Some calculators have higher resolution screens than the 3ds. Let that sink in.

Before the Switch, we tolerated it because there was no alternative.

Have a 3DS, Vita and a Switch.

Would rather have all games on either Vita or Switch. The resolution of the 3DS is not making games look good imo.

Pokemon-Emulator-comparison.jpg

holy-fuck-balls-jpg.7576

Citra, the 3DS emulator, already shows how good 3ds games can look.

Kthulhu

Part of the appeal of the Switch is that all of Nintendo's games are supposed to be on one platform going forward, yet games like Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon aren't even getting ports.

Not to mention people have wanted a true console Pokemon game for years and everyone was hoping for it with the Stars rumor, only for this to happen.

I also would hope we stop with these multiple Nintendo systems already. I thought Switch wasn't just a Wii U successor, but a 3DS one as well initially. It was going to be a way for Nintendo to consolidate their efforts from both the console and handheld departments into one system. That may still be the case in the future, but they're dragging it out by still putting big exclusives only on the 3DS.

When they had the pokemon direct say that the new games were only on 3DS, that didn't bum me out. It was the fact that it wasn't put it on 3DS AND Switch.

Scrawnton

People believe the switch is nintendo's new handheld, when in fact it's nintendo's home console with a handheld feature. The 3DS is still nintendo's main handheld device and will continue to get new games until a next generation DS / gameboy comes out.
If Nintendo releases a new dedicated handheld separate from the Switch, they're going to lose a lot of faith amongst their fan base. They can't do that.

Personally I'm really happy these new Pokemon games are coming to 3ds, means I get to play them sooner :)
I guess some people feel like the series is being seriously held back by the hardware & whilst that might be true it doesn't matter to me much since I've loved all the 3DS games. It's not like this is going to be the last mainline Pokemon game or anything, there'll be plenty of them on more powerful hardware given time

I think Nintendo is right to not just abandon the 3ds now that the Switch is here - yeah it's selling well but the 3ds installbase is huge and most people aren't early adopters.
I think there's room for games to come to both consoles for at least the next year or two and I'm glad the 3ds is going out strong

SigSig

Because it's a terrible system hardware wise.

This. I've seen the Vita, I've played Switch on the go. The sooner we can get rid of those jaggy ass 3D models the better.
3D on DS was unplayably ugly most of the time, 3D on 3DS is okay, with gritted teeth.
Handdrawn 2D doesn't look great, either, so many details getting lost between those fat ass pixels.

DS and 3DS are probably my most played systems, too. But it's really bad.

edit: jesus, that comparison post above

13ruce

Banned
People believe the switch is nintendo's new handheld, when in fact it's nintendo's home console with a handheld feature. The 3DS is still nintendo's main handheld device and will continue to get new / nintendo handheld games until a next generation DS / gameboy comes out.

If that happens either that or the Switch will fail.
It will be a Switch sku for handheld only use can't see it have a seperate libary yet again.

People believe the switch is nintendo's new handheld, when in fact it's nintendo's home console with a handheld feature. The 3DS is still nintendo's main handheld device and will continue to get new games until a next generation DS / gameboy comes out.

If that is true, good luck to Nintendo. They will need it. The whole point of only having a hybrid from here on out is that they can ACTUALLY support the platform instead of splitting all their development between two systems.

Top Bottom