• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40% of PlayStation 4 owners did not own a PlayStation 3 last gen

ZhugeEX

Banned
Shuhei Yoshida recently confirmed that approximately 40% of the PlayStation 4 install base did not own a PlayStation 3 last gen.

Yoshida said that "The Last of Us Remastered that we released last year was hugely popular. When we look at the number of people who did not own PS3, but do own PS4, those are people who have never tried these games that were very, very popular on PS3. Lots of people were asking for the Uncharted Collection. I'm confident that lots of people will have the chance to play Uncharted for the first time in a higher resolution, with better textures and animations. That will even attract people who played on PS3 in preparation for Uncharted 4."

As of March 1st 2015 the PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system has sold more than 20.2 million units to consumers worldwide with approximately 36% of sales coming from the USA. The PlayStation 4 continues to be Sony's most popular platform to date selling faster than any previous PlayStation console.

The 40% number is from Game Informer. (Are they reliable btw? Never heard of them before)

WOW that's a lot of converts, not surprising though, half the xbox users I knew last gen all have or are getting a ps4, anecdotal yes but it is obvious ps4 is eating at MS userbase,.

Erevador

Anecdotal experience with my friends who were Xbox live bros last generation supports this. They all bought PS4s for DESTINY.

Certinty

Have to say it's the same for the people I know. A lot of them only had 360s last gen and have moved onto the PS4.

How do they figure this out? Through psn accounts? Im sure heaps of people, like me created new accounts specifically for the ps4. Otherwise, great news and well expected.

sphinx

the piano man
that's exactly me.

from 2008 til 2014 I was too busy playing Wii and 360 games.

I sold that shit hardware that is the 360 (the Xenon old model who had red ringed on me twice), kept the Wii for the ocasional metorid/zelda NGC replay and bought a shiny new PS4.

E the Shaggy

I bought a PS3 about two years ago.

They had a Black Friday deal that included the PS3, Uncharted 1 and 2 and Infamous 1 and 2, that was just too good to pass up. Plus I really wanted to play the Last Of Us.

One here. I play all games on my ps4. My xbone was bought used at a later date. And only has gotten used for sunset overdrive. MCC I would have gotten but apparently it's crap. So yeah strictly for exclusiVes.

Though I'm considering fallout 4 strictly because my GT is tunnel snake. And I rule

JB1981

I'm a multi console owner from last gen who has not yet bought an X1. This might change this week with the Best Buy trade-in deal though.

Seems Sony did a great job both retaining customers and winning some from MS.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
0226_ggs6b.gif

that's alot

Dlacy13g

Not shocking considering the original launch debacle and no backwards compatibility incentive for 360 owners at the time. I am not shocked in the least.

They are off their rocker if they think this is going to change anything with regards to what console people buy 2 years into the gen.

You forgot to take into account that lots of people do buy more than one console per gen.

Just because someone bought a PS4 doesn't mean they won't also buy an Xbox One, especially with backwards compatibility as a feature.

Apt101

More anecdotes, I work in a pretty large IT environment, so lots of gamers (the stereotype is indeed true). Everyone played on 360 last gen, now they all own PS4's and none of them (not an exaggeration) own a Xbox One. I just did a quick count in my head trying to remember all the coworkers on my PSN friend list, and it's 11 people.

Top Bottom