• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: "The Wii does not appear to be a fad."

Taurus

DFC expects Wii to be the best-selling console of this generation worldwide, followed by PS3 and then Xbox 360.

"The Wii does not appear to be a fad and it has the chance to be one of the best selling systems of all-time," Cole said.

He expects annual PS3 software sales to equal Wii's by 2012.

In a separate DFC report, analyst Jeremy Miller suggested that third parties will have a tough time competing with first-party Nintendo software on the Wii.

"The Wii not only has unique features and a broad demographic appeal, but Nintendo is dominant as a software publisher," he said. "For many third party publishers this means they will have much greater success on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, even if Wii sales continue to be strong."
http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11156&Itemid=2

Good analysis, very informative yet bold. :lol

LCfiner

I dunno, I think he's jumping the gun on this one. We should wait a couple more years before making any bold assertions about the Wii's recent success.

*cough*

He's really going out a limb there. Aren't analysts this gen supposed to ignore the obvious in favor defending all the wrong predictions they made 3 years ago?

Ramenman

"The Wii does not appear to be a fad and it has the chance to be one of the best selling systems of all-time,"

Fucking priceless :lol :lol :lol

Analysts are worse than the worst of the fanboys when it comes to their Wii predictions. Even GAF understood that like, 4 months ago at least ?

I think the Wii IS a fad. A long fad that will make a lot of money for Nintendo.

I wish I could come up with a similar fad.

Note: Fad is not a bad word.

:lol

Third party publishers: Do NOT listen to this bullshit about there not being opportunities on the Wii. Make good, exclusive games which hit target markets which are currently underserved (read: games which are actual games, non-non-games), and you too will make moneyz.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
angelfly said:
So it took him this long to realize it :lol
I can't believe these guys get paid to do this.

KHarvey16

Don't be so quick to judge, he went on to say that gas prices were looking to rise at some point soon. So we should all take a wait and see approach to determine if this guy is legit.

Cynar

Vinci said:
Dream. Fucking. On.

Given the time estimated, if you look at worldwide sales it's possible. The USA is the only weird region where the 360 is beating the ps3 really.

seat

"The Wii does not appear to be a fad and it has the chance to be one of the best selling systems of all-time," Cole said.
Way to go out on a limb there, David Cole.

"All I know is that my gut says 'maybe.'"

hemtae

Cynar said:
Given the time estimated, if you look at worldwide sales it's possible. The USA is the only weird region where the 360 is beating the ps3 really.

what does the 360 have to do with the PS3 beating Wii's software sales?

Don't fads usually last 4-5 years? Or does that qualify as a "trend"?

At any rate, people need to buy more games for the Wii , otherwise we can can safely say that it isn't as "fun" as it is advertized to be.

Vinci

Danish
Cynar said:

If the Wii has the largest install base of the generation, anywhere approaching PS2 levels of dominance, the notion that the PS3 will have similar software sales - given that the Wii is already ahead of every system ever in the first 18 months of their respective lifetimes - is ridiculous. This analyst gets one thing right, the winner, but then decides to toss in the usual 'But Sony's going to do OMG AWESOME!' bullshit.

Darklord

Banned
Best selling systems of all-time?

I don't think it has the life span to be able too. The PS2 has been around, what? 7-8 years? The Wii won't last that long.

Totz

charlottebadlycropped.jpg

Charlotte is stunned at this sudden revelation.

Sorry it's badly cropped, I am not good with Photoshops

RobertM

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

At any rate, people need to buy more games for the Wii , otherwise we can can safely say that it isn't as "fun" as it is advertized to be.
More of a fad than just a trend, especially when games are not what's driving the hardware sales.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

Thankfully MM9 saved everyone from wondering what to buy next.

ksamedi

So what they are saying is that third parties lack the skill to beat Nintendo? I would be offended by that.

jarrod

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
:lol

Third party publishers: Do NOT listen to this bullshit about there not being opportunities on the Wii. Make good, exclusive games which hit target markets which are currently underserved (read: games which are actual games, non-non-games), and you too will make moneyz.
3rd parties are competing with Nintendo no matter what, even if their games aren't on Wii. And they're losing.

Top Bottom