• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: "The Wii does not appear to be a fad."

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Gaborn said:
20070326.jpg
:lol :lol

lupinko said:
Before the PS3 can beat Wii sales, it has to beat 360 sales first?
Still won't happen.

Darklord said:
Best selling systems of all-time?

I don't think it has the life span to be able too. The PS2 has been around, what? 7-8 years? The Wii won't last that long.
The Wii is outpacing the PS2, what makes you think the Wii won't last even longer?

BishopLamont said:
Still won't happen.

The Wii is outpacing the PS2, what makes you think the Wii won't last even longer?

I think the Wii is designed to last a long ass time. It doesnt depend on power, so it wont get outdated. Its based on the controller wich can be expanded.

Nintendo can release whatever device to hoook up to the wii to invigorate its sales.

My only concern is the flash memory

ksamedi

I wonder how these firms come up with predictions like the PS3 will equal Wii in software sales in 2012. The Wii has sold the most software of any other console in its timeframe. No console has sold more software than Wii in its first 18 months. What makes them think that the PS3, which is doing Gamecube numbers, is going to match that?

HUELEN10

Starchasing said:
I think the Wii is designed to last a long ass time. It doesnt depend on power, so it wont get outdated. Its based on the controller wich can be expanded.

Nintendo can release whatever device to hoook up to the wii to invigorate its sales.

My only concern is the flash memory
THIS

ksamedi said:
I wonder how these firms come up with predictions like the PS3 will equal Wii in software sales in 2012. The Wii has sold the most software of any other console in its timeframe. No console has sold more software than Wii in its first 18 months. What makes them think that the PS3, which is doing Gamecube numbers, is going to match that?

they throw dices

On what basis does he expect the PS3's software sales to eclipse Wii's? Aren't PS3 software sales by all accounts anaemic at best? I would have understood if he had said 360, but the PS3? Honestly?

D.Lo

They just had to throw the 'PS3 software sales will rule all' and '3rd parties will flop on Wii' comments in their first ever, reluctant, two years late 'oh, Wii might actually succeed' report?

They've finally got their heads to the surface (reality), but are still keen on gulping lungfulls of water.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
On what basis does he expect the PS3's software sales to eclipse Wii's? Aren't PS3 software sales by all accounts anaemic at best? I would have understood if he had said 360, but the PS3? Honestly?

"I wasn't wrong, I was half right. You'll see!"

Jokeropia

Haha, it's like he just has to throw in a ton of disclaimers for even daring to suggest that Nintendo might actually beat Sony. :lol

Cipherr

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Don't fads usually last 4-5 years? Or does that qualify as a "trend"?

At any rate, people need to buy more games for the Wii , otherwise we can can safely say that it isn't as "fun" as it is advertized to be.

No, the Wii has sold more software at a faster rate than any other console prior. Its setting records software wise, people don't need to buy more of any damn thing. Its already selling more software than anything ever has before.

Let go of the smokescreen. The Wii has been selling software. You don't get to just "disqualify" tens of millions of pieces of software sold, just because you don't like the games that sold. Doesn't work like that.

Paracelsus said:
I would have not. Looking at how the worldwide sales situation is shaping up, that is way more unlikely.
I was referring to the way what userbase there is eats up software. That might be an argument for equal software sales on a smaller userbase. Even then, I agree, simply because of the software on offer.

The 360 simply doesn't have the shovelware and middling offerings the PS2 had; the PS3 even less so. Whether GAF likes it or not, shovelware and mediocre games are vital components of a healthy industry just the same as AAA blockbusters.

legend166

fabprems said:
Is this the "map of the internet" (a map that look like japanese underground or something like that) in the background ?

I don't know where that guy lives, but that looks exactly like a map of the Sydney rail network.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
fabprems said:
Is this the "map of the internet" (a map that look like japanese underground or something like that) in the background ?
Looks like the London Underground to me.

olubode said:
Looks like the London Underground to me.
If it weren't for the western and south western lines being the wrong colour, I'd have claimed it was the Brisbane rail network. Heh.

EDIT: Just looking at it, it's definitely not the Sydney rail network. Isn't the southern line that goes through Cronulla blue?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a minute...is DFC Intelligence the same set of bumbling clowns, that made the prediction of the PS3 overtaking the Wii? Are these guys responsible for the crazylines.gif GAF-classic?

Aren't the HD consoles the ones selling well below expectations in the past few months? Why hasn't anyone called those a fad?

viciouskillersquirrel said:

I think he needs to take a look at one of the MC threads some time. Is it really possible for the PS3 to overtake the Wii in Worldwide software sales if no game ever gets past 1M in Japan? No, no it's not.

sphinx

the piano man
Taurus said:
[He expects annual PS3 software sales to equal Wii's by 2012.

that's the most ridiculous projection ever, I mean SOFTWARE sales.

freaking SOFTWARE!!

I tend to think that Wii fit + Wii play alone could beat all combined PS3 software sales at the end of the generation....

sphinx said:
that's the most ridiculous projection ever, I mean SOFTWARE sales.

freaking SOFTWARE!!

I tend to think that Wii fit + Wii play alone could beat all combined PS3 software sales at the end of the generation....
Oh wait... I C WUT HE DID THAR!!! I think he means that he predicts that PS3's annual software sales will equal Wii's annual HARDWARE sales by the end of the generation. That's a lot more realistic (albeit an odd comparison to make and somewhat pessimistic about PS3's ability to sell software)

onipex

This is more sad than funny to me. It's like analyst don't take the gaming market serious at all. They don't seem to do any research into the real history or trends of the industry before making their predictions. As a gamer and investor that is very troublesome to me. With the money the industry rakes in it seems like if analyst don't take it seriously then no one outside of gamers, developers , and publishers really do (IMHO). To me that means that gaming did not become mainstream with the PS2 at all. When game software sells as much as dvds ( in copies sold not money made) then I guess it will be there.

Sir Alemeth said:
At this rate, I don't think we'll be seeing a Wii2 for another 7-8 years or so...
So much for Wii2-HD in 2009. :\

Considering that they're having such a hard time keeping up with demand that we still haven't seen the other system colors that they promised at launch I'd say that's a safe bet.

Top Bottom