• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

65nm Xbox 360 w/ HDMI & 120GB hard drive "soon"

Sean

Banned
Ever wonder why Microsoft hasn't released an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360, or whether the AV port was really capable of digital out? Well, here's your answer: we landed pictures of what appears to be the second Xbox 360 -- the Xbox 360 v2, if you will -- codenamed Zephyr. (The original Xbox 360, if you recall, was codenamed Xenon.) The long rumored about and awaited update to the console won't just feature a new, cooler 65nm processor, it's also finally added an HDMI port for full digital 1080p pleasure, as well as a 120GB drive, just what the doctor ordered. The 120GB drive may or may not come bundled with the kit, we don't yet know, just as we also don't yet know how much a Zephyr 360 is going to run (we imagine it'll go for the same price as currently so they can keep up a little on their expanding margin). But our very kind Xbox insider seemed happy to let us know we'd be able to get them "soon."

xbox_zephyr.jpg

Engadget

Dunno if this is real or not, the 120gb HDD sounds kinda doubtful to me unless this is going to be another higher-priced SKU like "Xbox 360 Ultimate" or something. But Engadget has broken quite a few stories before so....

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Nice to see MS adding features everyone wants. Sucks to see them add them after so many people already purchased their 360's. Dammit.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
*Ponders*

Digital video output! Sweet.

Core, Premium... ULTRA!

Couple thoughts:

This will cost more.
Might conincide w/ a price drop of the core/premiums.
Could be less reliable than the OG 360, which you won't know right away...
It should be another color.

**** it... I want one.

Mashing

urk said:
Nice to see MS adding features everyone wants. Sucks to see them add them after so many people already purchased their 360's. Dammit.

Those ****ers. I hope they allow you to trade your current Xbox 360 in for these (and pay the difference). I'd do it. Making new revisions of handhelds is one thing, making new revisions of $400 dollar consoles is another. **** you for screwing your loyal customers.

McHuj

If true, I hope there is still a way to provide a HDMI adapter for the current xbox360, then it won't be an issue.

A bigger HD was/is to be expected.

It wouldn't surprise me if something like this was announced at CES

Wouldn't it be nice if they gave original owners temp server space to somehow upload/download current HDD content from one drive to another?

Safe Bet

Banned
urk said:
I hope I get some kind of 'trade-in credit' for my old 360!

RoH

Mashing said:
Those ****ers. I hope they allow you to trade your current Xbox 360 in for these (and pay the difference). I'd do it. Making new revisions of handhelds is one thing, making new revisions of $400 dollar consoles is another. **** you for screwing your loyal customers.

You over reacting, it plays the same games... take a chill pill :D :) - no ones getting screwed. And WTF does any one know if this is real? I remember a rumor like this a few months ago. :lol :lol

Tieno

HDMI input is saved for PS3, sorry 360. But if it runs quieter I may have to brake the 360, sent it to MS and ask for a repair. (warranty expires next november!).

Tieno

Mashing said:
Can you actually say me you didn't expect a hardware revision/update?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I find it interesting that the serial number and manufacture date are blacked out. If this is a prototype, why would the person posting the image even be concerned with this? I call FAKE. By the way, a Zephyr is a warm, westerly wind.

FFChris

urk said:

But if your current system should 'break' under warranty... :D

They should add DVR capabilities, it's obvious they're trying to pull out a premium model after seeing the PS3, DVR would make it awesome.

Kolgar

As a current owner, this rumor miffed me at first, but it really doesn't matter.

HDMI isn't a dealbreaker for me; my games and HD DVD movies look awesome over component. A bigger hard drive would be nice, but I've still got 9GB free on my current one.

I'll consider trading up if my 360 ever gives me problems or after this revised hardware sees a price drop. Until then, it's a non-issue for me.

Oh, and RE: the idea of building in HD DVD. Can't imagine MS would do this until the format war is won (or lost). The company isn't dependant on HD DVD like Sony is on Blu-ray, so no need to tie itself to a format that may not succeed.

bill0527

I told you that people would conveniently forget all the other companies' hardware revisions once Microsoft got around to doing theirs.

Matt_C

Honestly, I am glad that I do not own a 360 yet.:D

I honestly feel bad for those who got their 360s. The only thing that may bother me is that Microsoft would price the newer 360 in the PS3 range with the 120giger sans HD-DVD.

Good luck Microsoft and hope that the transition from Xenon to Zephyr will be a smooth one
with the gaming public. I think the newer 360 will be the European strategy when the PS3 comes out.

Amir0x

Banned
oh god these rumours always make me stand still. I am right on the verge of finally buying a 360 in time for Mass Effect, and I just know I'm gonna end up getting it the day before they announce this shit :lol

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
you can sell your old one on ebay or half.com and get pretty good value for it. I suspect this will coincide with the price drops like Apple does it with their ipods.

$399 Ultimate, $349 Premium, $269 Core, $99 for 120 gig drive, $49 for 20 gig drive, $39 for 256mb Memory Pack, $189 HD-DVD drive add-on... in May.

Don't expect hd-dvd built in anytime soon. It doesn't make any sense. You never want to go over that $399 point with the consumer. If I were Microsoft, I would only make this revision if I could still keep 2 versions (Premium and Core) and use this hdmi version to replace the premium only. Keep the HD at 20 gig and release an add-on for 120 gigs @ $99 (with a way to transfer data through USB). that's probably where they're going with this. They release this in March or April to give a temporary boost and then drop the price around May or June to give another boost. Genius.

bill0527

travisbickle said:
They should add DVR capabilities, it's obvious they're trying to pull out a premium model after seeing the PS3, DVR would make it awesome.

You do realize that the current 360 can basically work as a DVR through media center and the fortcoming Vista?

Tieno

Amir0x said:
oh god these rumours always make me stand still. I am right on the verge of finally buying a 360 in time for Mass Effect, and I just know I'm gonna end up getting it the day before they announce this shit :lol
It's inevitable and you know it, it will happen!
palpatine_02.jpg

painey said:
so much for a price drop

I doubt it would cost much to provide an HDMI port. I highly doubt it would cost much for them to provide a 120GB HDD either, considering they're buying in millions.

DaCocoBrova said:
*Ponders*

Digital video output! Sweet.

Core, Premium... ULTRA!

Couple thoughts:

This will cost more.
Might conincide w/ a price drop of the core/premiums.
Could be less reliable than the OG 360, which you won't know right away...
It should be another color.

**** it... I want one.
What?
This should be far more reliable due to the 65nm processors creating a much cooler running machine. This version is clearly being made due to the manufacturing issues of the original version causing so many breakdowns.

hadareud

The Translator
Aeon712 said:
Man if I owned a 360 I'd be ticked off it they released a new one already.
not really, it was always gonna happen.

If it comes out sometime in 07 it's been nearly 18 months that I had my original 360 - by then I'm happy to sell it and pay another 100 quid or so for a new one.

Top Bottom