• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Condemned PC demo is out

siege

Banned
Don't like it. Thought it was very atmospheric at first, then I started fighting hobos with pipes, and it got old quickly. It's very easy to get lost in the environment with it being so dark and everything looking the same as well.

The flash prequel story on the website was cool and overall it has a nice presentation, but I don't see myself buying it when the combat (which likely makes up 90% of the game) is so dull.

siege said:
Don't like it. Thought it was very atmospheric at first, then I started fighting hobos with pipes, and it got old quickly. It's very easy to get lost in the environment with it being so dark and everything looking the same as well.

The flash prequel story on the website was cool and overall it has a nice presentation, but I don't see myself buying it when the combat (which likely makes up 90% of the game) is so dull.

Condemned has some of the best first person melee combat that I've ever seen in a game. If it's too dark, then turn your brightness up or turn your lights off. That's how the game is meant to be played anyway.

I played through the game twice on the Xbox 360 and loved every minute. One other note - the environments are very realistic and I don't ever recall getting lost in them.

black_13

Banned
Best news I've heard all day (albit it has been a slow day so far).

But regardless I was really looking forward to playing this on PC. Hopefully it runs better than fear or at least just as good.

black_13 said:
Best news I've heard all day (albit it has been a slow day so far).

But regardless I was really looking forward to playing this on PC. Hopefully it runs better than fear or at least just as good.

Framerate seems to vary alot.. sometimes 22-24, others over 100.

This is at 1680x1050 and maximum details (minus AA)

Doesn't feel laggy when the framerate drops, though.. which is a plus.

black_13

Banned
Robobandit said:
Framerate seems to vary alot.. sometimes 22-24, others over 100.

This is at 1680x1050 and maximum details (minus AA)

Doesn't feel laggy when the framerate drops, though.. which is a plus.
So how does it compare to FEAR when you run it on those settings?

And even with that, it can't be worse than Oblivion I guess.

squicken

Just finished playing both the 360 demo and PC demo. Both at 720p and on a Samsung DLP. It's the same exact demo (first level tutorial) on both platforms, and the 360 demo is very representitive of the full game, as I played it at launch. I'd give a very slight edge visually to the PC version, mostly for slightly better textures. Since I'm running at a relatively low rez (specs below), I was able to turn everything to maximum. I'm sure those with higher rez monitors will have a better time with the PC's graphics. I'm more comfortable with a joypad than a kb/m, but this isn't a game that is twitchy in nature, so it's sort of a wash anyway.

I don't think it looks as good as FEAR, nor is it as fun. Obviously just my opinion.

Athlon 64 X2 3800+
7800 GT
2 Gig Corsair XMS

Shawn128

Robobandit said:
hmm.. seems to run better than F.E.A.R. :lol
from what ive heard, the 360 version was a lower res version of the fear engine....dunno if that translated to 360.

oh and how does it compare to the 360 version guys?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Performance wise Condemned rapes FEAR. Playing it @ 1024x768 with everything maxed up, FSAA 2x and aniso 8x and the frame-rate only becomes choppy in certain moments, and always with the flashlight on.

I am very pleased, maybe I'll end buying the PC game.

oh and how does it compare to the 360 version guys?
I'd say it's the exact same thing, although the PC game allows higher res and more aniso/FSAA. Then again, you need a pretty powerful PC if you intend to play it at more than 1280x1024.

Jacobi

Banned
I had the game all maxed up, the graphics didn't make me say wow though. The game crashed after a few minutes of gaming...and my PC normally does only crash once in a month or so.

I'm not really getting into this game, it is sort of boring and don't find it very scary at all. The combat sort of feels like Oblivion redux. Oh well not my cup of tea.

Top Bottom