• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI PC Release in the Final Stages of Optimization. Demo planned before release.

Go_Ly_Dow

From Game Informer, more at the link: https://www.gameinformer.com/news/2...l-stages-of-optimization-expect-a-demo-before

While Yoshida is unable to share when the PC version of FFXVI will be released, he says the team is in the last stages of optimization.

"In terms of where we are in development currently, we're trying to figure out the final stages of optimization right now," Yoshida tells me through a translator. "When we can release the PC version might be dependent on that – the system requirements and specifications for PC that players will need, so we're trying to figure that out. Naturally, [the PC specifications] are looking to be somewhat high."

He says players can rest assured, though, that development on the PC version of FFXVI is going smoothly, but, "In terms of when it's going to come out or when we can announce it, I'd like to ask for more time on that."

Yoshida tells me before FFXVI releases on PC, the team will do its best to announce the best specifications and requirements ahead of time so players can determine if the game will run on their PCs.

"And to do that, we're looking to release a demo for the PC version as well," he adds. "Again, we can't really talk about too much in terms of details of when it's going to come out – I think in a little bit more time we'll be in a better place to announce things. But one thing's for sure: It won't be too distant in the future; it won't be a year, it won't be two years, it will probably be shorter than that, so stay tuned."

My guess is a release date will be announced around GDC in 2 weeks where there is a talk planned about FFXVI and the final DLC with Leviathan, the Rising Tide. The Eikon fights should look even more spectacular.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Looking forward to at least see what it looks like in its full glory. The PS5 version is quite gimped in every mode. The screenshot threads should be glorious at 4K/4K DLSS and max settings.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

After playing the demo I was in day 1 for the PC version, but the more I saw of it and the more time passed and the honeymoon perioid ended I think I’ll pass. FF is basically Sonic now where every new entry is supposed to be the good one but they all stink.

Odd take, so you enjoyed what you played from the game and have now decided to write it off because you read some other opinions? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Also the last 4-5 major FF release, FF7 Remake Intergrade, FF16, FF7 Rebirth and all the 14 games are launching with high critical and fan reception. Rebirth the highest in 20 years and the series is largely seeing a rise in quality compared to 13 and 15 and this is acknlowedged by many fans.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Odd take, so you enjoyed what you played from the game and have now decided to write it off because you read some other opinions? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Also the last 4-5 major FF release, FF7 Remake Intergrade, FF16, FF7 Rebirth and all the 14 games are launching with high critical and fan reception. Rebirth the highest in 20 years and the series is largely seeing a rise in quality compared to 13 and 15 and this is acknlowedged by many fans.

I should have qualified that it’s just my opinion but remake was just as bad as FFXV to me. Used to be a huge fan of the series from FFV - FFX and FF tactics series. At least there’s still Dragon Quest and the excellent HD-2D games.

This game has the best first few hours of a game I've played in a while, but after the demo it falls apart almost instantly. Full of filler and just overly long with the story being drip fed to the player. I didn't even finish it in the end.

On the topic of Final Fantasy, I'm trying to play FFVII Remake again and oh my fucking god does this game drag it's heels at every given opportunity. It's amazing how much padding is added to the game when it's completely unnecessary. What could have been an absolutely killer game at maybe 15 hours ends up being almost double that. I'm completely put off playing Rebirth because of it.

Gaiff

Curious if a 4090 could even run this game at native 4k60.
PS5 does 1080p-1440p and upscales to 4K and that's with 30fps. If we go with the lower bounds, ie, want it to be 4K/60fps MINIMUM with PS5 settings, then it needs to push 4x as many pixels at twice the frame rate. For a GPU that's about 3-3.2x faster than the PS5 then this seems impossible. 1440p/60fps is much more sensible. However, I assume this game will have DLSS so 4K/DLSS Quality and 60fps might not be completely impossible but still could be out of reach depending on how the game scales.

It's not a 1:1 scaling because it's unknown where exactly the PS5's bottlenecks lie.

Go_Ly_Dow

PS5 does 1080p-1440p and upscales to 4K and that's with 30fps. If we go with the lower bounds, ie, want it to be 4K/60fps MINIMUM with PS5 settings, then it needs to push 4x as many pixels at twice the frame rate. For a GPU that's about 3-3.2x faster than the PS5 then this seems impossible. 1440p/60fps is much more sensible. However, I assume this game will have DLSS so 4K/DLSS Quality and 60fps might not be completely impossible but still could be out of reach depending on how the game scales.

It's not a 1:1 scaling because it's unknown where exactly the PS5's bottlenecks lie.
I think the PS5 version on quality mode is basically 1440p all of the time?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
After playing the demo I was in day 1 for the PC version, but the more I saw of it and the more time passed and the honeymoon perioid ended I think I’ll pass. FF is basically Sonic now where every new entry is supposed to be the good one but they all stink.
Your loss. It’s very good. Even excellent.

people. Do not play the demo!!!!
It takes too much wind out of the game if played too many times before full game

DeaDPo0L84

Haven't played a new FF entry in quite some time. Wife bought this on our PS5 and couldn't stomach the performance issues so we will both be jumping in when it releases on PC.

omegasc

Interesting. Yeah I just found it weird that 60fps was smooth as hell during combat, but outside of that, not so great.
that was due to the game going as low as 720p internally. I didn't mind either mode. Motion blur made 30 fps OK on my OLED, and 60fps fast paced battles made it OK for the resolution. But I mainly played Perf mode.
I'll get this on PC sometime in the future. I am currently waiting for a nice discount on FF7R Intergrade PC while playing Rebirth :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

ssringo

I dropped it on PS5 after a few hours strictly due to the awful performance. I'll give the PC demo a whirl but doubt I'll pick it up at release unless there's literally nothing else worth playing at the time.

Fuuuuck I waited so long but started playing it yesterday on PS5 via my friends shared games. Idk if I should continue, I'd strongly prefer to play on PC with a very capable rig.

Gaiff

Interesting. Yeah I just found it weird that 60fps was smooth as hell during combat, but outside of that, not so great.
Because SE made sure that the frame rate is much smoother in combat. The moment you start a fight, the fps shoots up to and maintain 60. The moment you exit, it tanks back to the 50s or even 40s. It used very aggressive DRS during combat to maintain 60fps.

keefged4

I'll probably pick this up again, but it really dragged on towards the end, especially with the huge number of dull sidequests etc. Will be a real looker on PC though.

Go_Ly_Dow

Not sure. DF just said it ranges from 1080p to 1440p upscaled to 4K in Quality Mode.
I think in quality mode it was largely 1440p and I felt the IQ was good and the 30fps felt good. Locked hown most of the time with the very good motion blur and I guess good frame pacing?

It will be a looker on PC even just running at 4k 60fps, so it will be interesting if they're adding in other tweaks given they've taken their time with the port.

Gaiff

At PS5 settings the 4090 will do 4K 60 easily.
Doubt it. The PS5 can drop all the way to 720p in its 60fps mode. 4090 would need to push 9x the amount of pixels. You'd need something closer to a 5090 or even more.

Of course, this entirely depends where the bottlenecks are. 4K60 is not impossible but I wouldn't bet my money on it unless SE did an absolute shit job with the PS5 version.

Mister Wolf

Doubt it. The PS5 can drop all the way to 720p in its 60fps mode. 4090 would need to push 9x the amount of pixels. You'd need something closer to a 5090 or even more.

Of course, this entirely depends where the bottlenecks are. 4K60 is not impossible but I wouldn't bet my money on it unless SE did an absolute shit job with the PS5 version.

Gaiff this is running at Native 4K over 60fps Max Settings with Raytraced Reflections, Raytraced Shadows, and RTAO. If FF16 cant hit 4K 60 on the 4090 it has everything to do with the ineptness of the developers.

Last edited:

Gaiff this is running at Native 4K over 60fps Max Settings with Raytraced Reflections and Raytraced Shadows. If FF16 cant hit 4K 60 on the 4090 it has everything to do with the ineptness of the developers.

Square arent technical marvels, don’t expect them to compete with one of the top devs in the business, especially the top pc porting company in the business

danklord

Gold Member
Been waiting to play the DLCs for this eventual expansion. Can't wait to run through it again. Once this thing is flying at max settings and people can witness it on appropriate hardware, they're going to be stunned at how incredible this game is. Final Fantasy diehards always hate what's new at first because negativity is the fastest way to have an opinion, but as people process the experience they'll slowly see the light.

L3 + R3 to face the truth
is one the most powerful moments in gaming in recent memory.

Beautiful game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Highly doubtful. PS5 drops to 720p to hold 60fps, and down to 1080p to hold 30fps. Even then it has frame drops. That is with a GPU roughly around the 2080 level.

Keeping 4k/60 will require a GPU dramatically more powerful then a 4090.
likely a CPU bottleneck. If you look at the quality mode which typically runs at 1440p internal resolution, a GPU 3-4x more powerful should run it at 4k 60 fps as long as its not paired up with a trash Zen 2 CPU like the 2700x.

Mister Wolf

Square arent technical marvels, don’t expect them to compete with one of the top devs in the business, especially the top pc porting company in the business

Right, so propping this game like it's some technical marvel pushing tech limits bringing GPU's to their knees is bullshit. These guys are just lacking at their job.

Top Bottom