• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gripshift coming to the XBLA

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gripshift is officially coming to the XBOX 360 and it is coming in December, at least according to IGN XBOX 360.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/837/837991p1.html

GripShift Heads to Live Arcade
Chalk up another title for the XBLA.
by Erik Brudvig

November 27, 2007 - Gripshift, the arcade racing puzzle game that first released on the PSP back in 2005, is on its way to the Xbox Live Arcade. Though the game was released with visual updates and online multiplayer to the PlayStation Store earlier this year, the Xbox Live Arcade release is being hailed as the "definitive" version by the developers, Sidhe Interactive.

Like the PS3 version before it, those dropping the Microsoft Points on the Xbox 360 will find 120 challenge mode levels and updated graphics. 360 owners can also look forward to achievement points, leaderboards and four player online racing and deathmatch modes.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I figured since it appeared on the ESRB, that was pretty much confirmation. Awesome! :D

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
jj984jj said:
I figured since it appeared on the ESRB, that was pretty much confirmation. Awesome! :D

Indeed but now we got the screenshots and trailer and everything to go with it and it is alleged to be coming soon.

Ranger X

It still appear to miss the crutial feature (ok it seems i'm the only one to believe in that) that would boost a community game sold an online community network: The track editor + ratings/rankings for submitted tracks.

Seriously, this would make the price entry and infinitely better value + boost the replay value ALOT.

I truly hope that you Gripshift guys are starting to think about that feature at least for PS3. And if you're implementing this on the 360 version you will make me shell 400$.

Masenkame

Awesome game. I already have the PSP version, so I don't think I'll grab this, but people should definitely try it out.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I wanted to buy this on PSN, but Sony is too slow with the PSN cards. I will take a look again when this hits XBLA

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
chakoo said:
When are we getting gripshift 2 for PSP? You're killing psp fans still waiting on a sequal.

As it happens, the release of GripShift on XBLA will get us closer to a sequel on PSP.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
mario, can you comment on how well sales of the downloadable version of PS3 compare to PSP and/or if it consistently sells as time goes on?

(not necessarily numbers, but general statements)

kenta

Has no PEINS
A "definitive" version on the 360, they say? Maybe now GameSpot or IGN will give it the "definitive" review it actually deserves

bryehn

I never played this on PSP or PS3. I'll probably bite on the 360 though, it's my downloadable game console of choice.

Barkley's Justice said:
beatbox's reign is over.
I'm sure you've just encouraged him to rack up another 2 bajillion points.

This and SWOS are a nice "December Surprise" from MS. Anyone who didn't buy it for the PS3 or PSP (or those who don't have a PS3 or PSP), buy it. It's a racing game/monkey balls all-in-one. Well, that description's shit; buy the game in spite of my poor descriptive skills.

Plus, those of you who love achievements would probably have a good time with this, whatever the achievements end up being.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
davepoobond said:
mario, can you comment on how well sales of the downloadable version of PS3 compare to PSP and/or if it consistently sells as time goes on?

(not necessarily numbers, but general statements)

GripShift on PSP has had surprising legs for us. It hasn't racked up huge numbers, but all related parties have made a little money and its created a fan base to leverage the PSN and XBLA versions.

By comparison, PSN sales are around what we expected, with much less fall off than you get on a retail product but at the same time not as much in terms of up front sales. For now, GS PSN LTD is gaining on GS PSP LTD though it may not ever catch it depending on how the tail end of the PSP lifecycle ends up and how PS3 sales pan out.

With the larger install base of 360 combined with the easier XBLA purchase process, we are expecting good sales of the XBLA version. Lifetime I'm expecting the XBLA version to exceed the PSP version sales, possibly by as much as double.

chubigans said:
A "definitive" version on the 360, they say? Maybe now GameSpot or IGN will give it the "definitive" review it actually deserves

Hopefully they have no dogs left to run down.

chubigans said:
Any chance of Gripshift going up on the PSP Store?

Its possible.

wonderkins said:
I'm sure you've just encouraged him to rack up another 2 bajillion points.

This and SWOS are a nice "December Surprise" from MS. Anyone who didn't buy it for the PS3 or PSP (or those who don't have a PS3 or PSP), buy it. It's a racing game/monkey balls all-in-one. Well, that description's shit; buy the game in spite of my poor descriptive skills.

Plus, those of you who love achievements would probably have a good time with this, whatever the achievements end up being.

beatbox has told me he will never buy a 360 evar evar evar. thus, his failure to dominate universally, across continents, worlds and console platforms, is all but guaranteed. and let's be honest: who has more shit-talking points? the xbox live worldwide champion? or the psn one?

kenta

Has no PEINS
Mario said:
GripShift on PSP has had surprising legs for us. It hasn't racked up huge numbers, but all related parties have made a little money and its created a fan base to leverage the PSN and XBLA versions.

By comparison, PSN sales are around what we expected, with much less fall off than you get on a retail product but at the same time not as much in terms of up front sales. For now, GS PSN LTD is gaining on GS PSP LTD though it may not ever catch it depending on how the tail end of the PSP lifecycle ends up and how PS3 sales pan out.

With the larger install base of 360 combined with the easier XBLA purchase process, we are expecting good sales of the XBLA version. Lifetime I'm expecting the XBLA version to exceed the PSP version sales, possibly by as much as double.
Are you barred from giving rough numbers or something? I'm really curious to know what kind of numbers you're still pulling on the PSP and PSN

Glad to hear you've made profits from the game, though, you all certainly deserve it

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
kenta said:
Are you barred from giving rough numbers or something?

I'm not restricted from giving them out, but I'd prefer to keep them to ourselves as they are commercially sensitive.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Mario said:

very interesting.

does the PSP version keep getting orders from retailers?

kenta

Has no PEINS
Mario said:
I'm not restricted from giving them out, but I'd prefer to keep them to ourselves as they are commercially sensitive.
Won't even ballpark it?

Regardless, I really hope the XBLA port will give you guys the funding you need to make a really eye-popping sequel that will get the attention it deserves. I know you've talked about frustrations around the office since the public keeps thinking of it as a driving game, have you bounced around alternatives to cars? This is beginning to feel like a formal interview or something :p

chakoo

Banned
davepoobond said:
very interesting.

Gripshift suprisingly keeps being restocked at my local futureshops. Once in a while the copies disapear then more show up again. It's great seeing it near the cash for only $20.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
davepoobond said:

We get the occasional reorders, but there is a bunch of stock in the channel. Enough to satisfy running demand for the most part.

kenta said:
Won't even ballpark it?

PSP sales = "hundreds of thousands" (which leaves a pretty wide ballpark :) )

kenta said:
Regardless, I really hope the XBLA port will give you guys the funding you need to make a really eye-popping sequel that will get the attention it deserves. I know you've talked about frustrations around the office since the public keeps thinking of it as a driving game, have you bounced around alternatives to cars?

I think fundamentally if you have a car on the cover, or the primary ingame focus, then gamers are going to bring baggage from other driving games with them. There are expectations people have with regards to controls and handling. We were aware of this, but didn't really resolve the issue well either at the gameplay level or the marketing level (sometimes we even contributed to the problem by sending mixed messages).

We have a solid idea on how to resolve this for a sequel without losing what the essence of the game is.

Barkley's Justice said:
beatbox has told me he will never buy a 360 evar evar evar. thus, his failure to dominate universally, across continents, worlds and console platforms, is all but guaranteed. and let's be honest: who has more shit-talking points? the xbox live worldwide champion? or the psn one?

:lol

I don't know. When the might of the 360 userbase is unleashed on the Gripshift leader boards, will he be able to resist? What say you beatbox/efertlis?

I plan on buying this, again. That way, whichever console is on, Gripshift is at the ready. Always a little more time to shave off of your score...

XBLA has some great games, but, this one is already in the top-most tier. Quite an achievement given that it hasn't been released yet.

Ploid 3.0

kenta said:
Won't even ballpark it?

Regardless, I really hope the XBLA port will give you guys the funding you need to make a really eye-popping sequel that will get the attention it deserves. I know you've talked about frustrations around the office since the public keeps thinking of it as a driving game, have you bounced around alternatives to cars? This is beginning to feel like a formal interview or something :p

Wait wait it's not about cars? I played the demo on psn a few times to see if I could understand what people were thinking. I played it as a car game. I probably didn't read the instructions enough but I did try to collect stars and not race so fast on some of the roads/puzzles(?). The demo is down from psn but I can redownload it.

Edit:
In fact I was going to buy it so I can race with people XD.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
wonderkins said:
:lol

I don't know. When the might of the 360 userbase is unleashed on the Gripshift leader boards, will he be able to resist? What say you beatbox/efertlis?

I plan on buying this, again. That way, whichever console is on, Gripshift is at the ready. Always a little more time to shave off of your score...

XBLA has some great games, but, this one is already in the top-most tier. Quite an achievement given that it hasn't been released yet.

If there is anything the XBLA has been in dire need for, it is a quality racer. In between the three faces of horrific shittyness that were Novadrome, Mad Tracks and Yaris, well, it has not been good times for the genre on the XBLA.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Ploid 3.0 said:
Wait wait it's not about cars? I played the demo on psn a few times to see if I could understand what people were thinking. I played it as a car game. I probably didn't read the instructions enough but I did try to collect stars and not race so fast on some of the roads/puzzles(?). The demo is down from psn but I can redownload it.

It is about "cars", but things like the in air control, off road driving, star collection, platforming, and the apparent simplicity of the early tracks turned some people off. Approach it like a racing game and you'll be disappointed. Approach it like a driving platformer and you'll gel with the game a lot faster.

Ploid 3.0 said:
In fact I was going to buy it so I can race with people XD.

There is a race mode, so you can do that too :)

kenta said:
Won't even ballpark it?

Aaron said:
Having neither PSP nor PSN, I've been hoping and looking forward to this. 360 needs a good XBLA racer.

:lol :lol

Shard said:
If there is anything the XBLA has been in dire need for, it is a quality racer. In between the three faces of horrific shittyness that were Novadrome, Mad Tracks and Yaris, well, it has not been good times for the genre on the XBLA.
XBLA has done quite a few categories very well (i.e. strategy, board/card games, shooters, for example) and others not so well (ie. what the hell is Screwjumpers? I can only put this in a new category labeled Eww. Sorry for any offense to the developers).

Given that those games you list were 800 points (or should have paid you 800 points for the few seconds they resided on your hard drive), Mario and Sidhe will have a blockbuster.

Given MS's sensitivity to parity in pricing versus the competition, I'm sure Gripshift'll be 800 points (even if Mario can't say, yet). But in comparison to the above crap, they could charge more and you wouldn't hear any complaints. The game has a value far exceeding the (presumed) 800 points it'll cost.

I look forward to the thread you'll create, Shard, when this game goes live. We may be preaching to the choir in this one; but, I'm sure that thread will fill with overwhelmingly positive impressions. The game is fun; really the only thing required of a game.

Mario said:
It is about "cars", but things like the in air control, off road driving, star collection, platforming, and the apparent simplicity of the early tracks turned some people off. Approach it like a racing game and you'll be disappointed. Approach it like a driving platformer and you'll gel with the game a lot faster.

There is a race mode, so you can do that too :)
That's the great thing about the game you guys/gals at Sidhe made, Mario. Play it however you want. Want a racer: attempt to best the times posted on the leader boards. As you know, it requires quite a bit of creativity. Want a platformer: Find all the stars and Gripshift tokens. Or do all in one go. Either way, both elements are definitely intertwined. And for those reading who haven't played Gripshift, the early tracks are in no way an indication of what you'll see later on. In the tradition of Nintendo, it's more about getting acclimated with the game.

Not to leave out how visceral the competition to move up the leaderboards can be. I'm not beatbox, but cracking the top 100 on any given track is a pretty good feeling, as far as video game ego-stroking goes. This game has that infinite replayability thing going for it. Skip lunch for a day or two and buy the game when it comes out.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Mario said:
PSP sales = "hundreds of thousands" (which leaves a pretty wide ballpark :) )
One of the best things I've heard in a while. I assume you're talking sold to retailers but it's money in the bank nonetheless which is fantastic. I feel like I can finally stop pimping the game endlessly :p

Top Bottom