• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Public Service Announcement: Buying Digital Codes from Amazon without US Credit Cards

Kvik

This little HOWTO is for those who didn't have US CC account and worried about Amazon locking their account/asking for Bank Statement after purchasing copious amount of these PS+ cards, Steam games, PS3/PS4 Upgrades, etc.

Some Gaffers reported that Amazon locked their accounts and asking for ID/Bank Statement which is proven to be a hassle.

The trick here is NOT to actually use your CC to pay for those cards:

1. Purchase Amazon Gift Cards with enough credits to cover all your PS+ cards. You can do this with your CC billing address set to your (true)valid billing address.
2. Set your Billing Address to an US address where there's no sales tax (Such as Oregon/OR)
3. Redeem the Amazon Gift Cards code, then go and purchase the PS+ cards.
4. Make sure all the outstanding balance are paid by the Gift Card ONLY and not by the CC. This ensures that NO transactions will be executed on your CC (therefore eliminating valid address check against your CC/bank provider).
5. Normally the transaction process is instant, but the 2nd or 3rd transactions normally there would be some delay. Don't worry. Check back in an hour or so.
6. Observe my damages, all paid via Amazon Gift cards:

uc

Happy Black Friday, everyone! :)

This little HOWTO is for those who didn't have US CC account and worried about Amazon locking their account/asking for Bank Statement after purchasing copious amount of these PS+ cards, Steam games, PS3/PS4 Upgrades, etc.

Is this a new thing and what is a copious amount?

I've been buying things with my CC for years.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is this a new thing and what is a copious amount?

I've been buying things with my CC for years.
The Amazon PSN Store is US only, not sure if anything has changed for their other DD items. You can sneak a foreign CC in by using a US address, but people have been getting verification request for purchasing multiple items like that.

Ok so I am from Britain and I used my Amazon UK id purchase stuff off the American Amazon PS store (absolute stupidity that !) yesterday and I used the address of the hotel I usually stay at whenever I go to LA. I managed to buy 3 PSN $50 cards and COD Ghosts, but the 5th order I made was put on hold for verification and now they are asking me to fax them my statement with my address on it. They've also put my account on hold and I don't know what I am supposed to do now considering this is my main amazon account that I use with my kindle and I've also bought Amazon Prime for it.

What are my options guys? Should I send them a mail ?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
thanks.

Some Gaffers reported that Amazon locked their accounts and asking for ID/Bank Statement which is proven to be a hassle.

Wait... Amazon changed their policy now... why? I was buying steam codes for ages(with my non american CC). why the change now?

The Amazon PSN Store is US only, not sure if anything has changed for their other DD items. You can sneak a foreign CC in by using a US address, but people have been getting verification request for purchasing multiple items like that.

Yeah I heard about that guy, but that was an amazon UK account.

Is there any report of an amazon US account with a US address having this issue? It has always been the case with digital downloads (steam keys) and I thought the stance from Amazon was "just do it".

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Is there any report of an amazon US account with a US address having this issue? It has always been the case with digital downloads (steam keys) and I thought the stance from Amazon was "just do it".

Someone need to ask Tony/AmazonVideogames on twitter about this.

as it's just weird it was a-ok for years so why changing this and doing this now? is this related to the new PSN store on amazon (since US PSN block non American CC) it'll be sad if that new PSN store ruined buying steam codes for us.

Mieu

I am getting this error now

Online Game Codes are only available to US customers
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Please continue shopping on the Amazon.com home page.

Pfffft.... FU!!!!!!! I kinda hate it...

Certinty

Account is being investigated and no doubt locked soon. Asked this in another thread but will also ask here, I ordered a $10 PSN card and did not receive it, will I be charged for it? Also them blocking my account doesn't block my credit card or anything, does it? Thanks.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
^ dunno but I guess they wont allow you to use the CC on new account.

Amazon will be losing huge amount of loyal non American costumers this way. what the hell is going on?

Mieu

@Certinty

Depends on the card. I had a Visa debit before. I was actually charged and did not get any codes as well. Was returned after 10 business days.

I don't know about the blocking part though.

Is this a new thing? Is it limited to just Sony-related stuff? I purchased $60 worth of PSN wallet on Amazon just this month, and bought many digital PC games overtime.

Certinty

@Certinty

Depends on the card. I had a Visa debit before. I was actually charged and did not get any codes as well. Was returned after 10 business days.

I don't know about the blocking part though.
Ah that sounds fine then. Thanks.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Is this a new thing? Is it limited to just Sony-related stuff? I purchased $60 worth of PSN wallet on Amazon just this month, and bought many digital PC games overtime.

well OT says this
Bank Statement after purchasing copious amount of these PS+ cards, Steam games, PS3/PS4 Upgrades, etc.

look like they changed the entire thing and blocking non American people from buying games codes of any type now.

my guess is this change happened just recently with the release of PS4/PSN amazon store (and possibly/maybe Sony asked them to this)

Grassy

I'm in Australia and I've made 20 digital and physical purchases(PS4 + games) over the last year or so. Last night I got the Marvel Super Heroes digital code for PS4 no worries.

Is it only if you try and buy PS+ codes that this happens?

Edit: That's using my AUS credit card with a US billing address for digital orders.

I'm guessing this all happened because people went crazy over the $30 PS+ codes? I never even tried that method (US address + foreign CC) before but I was intending to use it now that they were selling PSN codes and it's a hassle buying codes for a US account :/

Oh well, hopefully it passes and it goes back to normal eventually.

look like they changed the entire thing and blocking non American people from buying games codes of any type now.

my guess is this change happened just recently with the release of PS4/PSN amazon store (and possibly/maybe Sony asked them to this)

Hmm, how many of those people did not buy any number of PS+?

Kvik

Account is being investigated and no doubt locked soon. Asked this in another thread but will also ask here, I ordered a $10 PSN card and did not receive it, will I be charged for it? Also them blocking my account doesn't block my credit card or anything, does it? Thanks.

AFAIK this won't raise any issue with the CC provider. Not sure if they will still charge it though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm in Australia and I've made 20 digital and physical purchases(PS4 + games) over the last year or so. Last night I got the Marvel Super Heroes digital code for PS4 no worries.

Edit: That's using my AUS credit card with a US billing address for digital orders.

Hmm, how many of those people did not buy any number of PS+?

we really need a clarification on this. if this only happens to your account when you buy PS+ then we can just avoid buying that and keep getting steam codes and PSN codes the old way.

A couple of days ago I bought Lego Marvel and Knack digital codes on the Amazon US store (Fake US billing address, using UK debit card to pay).
Just a few minutes ago bought a $10 PSN card from them too and it all went through smoothly. So its still working for me so far

sheamus

Someone need to ask Tony/AmazonVideogames on twitter about this.

as it's just weird it was a-ok for years so why changing this and doing this now? is this related to the new PSN store on amazon (since US PSN block non American CC) it'll be sad if that new PSN store ruined buying steam codes for us.

i just used my Canadian visa with a fake US address and it worked fine

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I'd guess Amazon is more strict with the PlayStation sub-store as it's a joint effort between it and Sony. The worst I've encountered over the many PC DD orders I've placed with Amazon using the address of Google's CA-based HQ is manual order processing; I've never been asked to submit additional information even though whoever manually approved the orders was certainly fully aware that my billing address isn't actually what I say it is.

I just tried to do this but my Marvel code doesn't seem to work. I was super careful.. can't seem to work out what I fucked up.

I'd guess Amazon is more strict with the PlayStation sub-store as it's a joint effort between it and Sony. The worst I've encountered over the many PC DD orders I've placed with Amazon using the address of Google's CA-based HQ is manual order processing; I've never been asked to submit additional information even though whoever manually approved the orders was certainly fully aware that my billing address isn't actually what I say it is.

I guess kind US people can help us out...but it is kind of a big deal if they crack down on it...since those prices are such a big deal!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

yeah that my guess it's the new PSN amazon store.

any non American here who just bought Steam/PC codes (no PlayStation related codes) in the last week got his account locked?

sheamus

yeah that my guess it's the new PSN amazon store.

any non American here who just bought Steam/PC codes (no PlayStation related codes) in the last week got his account locked?

it only non-SCEA accounts that are being blocked, because i have bought both ff14,enslaved on PC and marvel Lego for the PS4 and my account is fine

Omikaru

I bought four PSN items last night, all went through fine. I won't rock the boat any further on purchases, however, just in case.

I bought CoD Ghosts for $40 in Finland just fine, it went through like my PC purchases in the past. The instructions in the OP are for strict banks that require a valid billing address, which is not in Amazon's control.

I bought CoD Ghosts for $40 in Finland just fine, it went through like my PC purchases in the past. The instructions in the OP are for strict banks that require a valid billing address, which is not in Amazon's control.

If so, I guess I'm safe from this? I only use a reloadable prepaid credit card that doesn't even require a bank account.

If so, I guess I'm safe from this? I only use a reloadable prepaid credit card that doesn't even require a bank account.

You should be. I bought 5 PC games during last year's Black Friday and christmas sales and my account is fine. Does your prepaid credit card have a billing address attached to it? I haven't used those.

Just did this, just in case thanks!

edit: Damn, used that delaware adress to order the gift card though forgot to switch adresses, everything went through still got the gift card and was able to buy the PSN plus.

Hopefully nothing happens....

You should be. I bought 5 PC games during last year's Black Friday and christmas sales and my account is fine. Does your prepaid credit card have a billing address attached to it? I haven't used those.

Nothing. I only paid the initial $10 and it expires after 3 years. No extra charges on anything. I use more than one (but personally legit) address and it was fine.

jett

D-Member
boooooooooooo

Sony can really fucking suck sometimes. Buying shit on PSN is such an unbelievable hassle for me. Can't use my credit card, can't use my paypal account, can't use amazon now. Is this going to affect PSN cards too?

Anhkow

boooooooooooo

Sony can really fucking suck sometimes. Buying shit on PSN is such an unbelievable hassle for me. Can't use my credit card, can't use my paypal account, can't use amazon now. Is this going to affect PSN cards too?

Doubt it, (due the advent of the web based PSN store). Even if they decided to implement a non-US ip restriction on that, you could still bypass it with a proxy or VPN.

So I just 'bought' a $50 gift card using my UK credit card and still haven't actually received the code yet (bought it over 45mins ago)? What are my options, wait or kick up a fuss with amazon?

UKgaf here, bought 2 PSN cards and Lego marvel this morning, it all worked fine.

Won't buy anything and see how this works out though. Would suck if they removed that option, I saved over £50 today

Top Bottom