• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake: Arcane Dimensions 1.5 Released.

Mr. Tibbs

Arcane Dimensions 1.5 is now available. If you're a Quake fan, this mod is seriously worth your time. Arcane Dimensions evolved out of an projectile-only gameplay experiment before eventually turning into a feature rich new expansion pack for Quake. You will need a copy of Quake and a free third-party client such as Quakespasm to run it.
Quake_Arcane_Dimensions-12-30-2015.jpg

It adds a slew of new enemies, weapons, and a number of very well-crafted, secret-laden maps, it’s more of a third mission pack than it is a simple fan-made bundle of levels.

Arcane Dimensions contains new beautifully detailed maps, jam packed full of new monsters and weapons to play around with till your hearts content. There are specially designed start maps, countless secrets, alternative routes and plenty of uniquely made areas to explore. For those players who love to search for secrets there are four runes scattered throughout the maps to collect, which when combined will unlock a special mystery map as a final reward!

There are many new monsters that have been added which will run, fly, duck, dive and chase the player around while trying their best to burn, poison, spike and blow the player up in the process! Each new monster has been designed with various flaws which players should learn and exploit! The new monsters really shine when they are combined together to compliment each others unique abilities.

Cy0mo9RXcAA4bjY.jpg

Arcane Dimensions Download
Quakespasm

Unicorn

Does Steam version of Quake and Quake 2 support mods? Some of the reviews on there I remember being not recommended for some reason - thinking it was mod support or something similar.

Mr. Tibbs

OP could do with some detail. What is it? Singleplayer? Multiplayer? Do I need Quake 1?

Good point. I've updated the OP. Yes, you need a copy of Quake and a source port (I use Quakespasm). It's basically a brand new mission pack, but even that feels selling it short. It's the best singleplayer content available for Quake (you can also play through the campaign co-op).

Mr. Tibbs

Does Steam version of Quake and Quake 2 support mods? Some of the reviews on there I remember being not recommended for some reason - thinking it was mod support or something similar.

Yes, they do. The only drawback I remember for the Steam versions is that they don't have the original music. I could be wrong though.

Woorloog

Banned
Holy shit, what is this? Looks really, really good.

I'll put this on my "to play" list, if i ever get around fixing my PC.

lazygecko

In most cases you need a limit-removing sourceport (which you ought to be using regardless). Quakespasm is the one I use. The way you use custom mods/maps is you put its directory inside your quake sourceport directory, make a shortcut of the game's executable, go into its properties and add extra commands to the folder path pointing it to the custom directory. In this case my Arcane Dimensions shortcut has "C:\Quake\quakespasm.exe -heapsize 256000 -zone 4096 -game ad" (there are some extra commands in there which I'm pretty sure I copypasted from the readme instructions).

There's probably some GUI program out there to streamline the process though.

Mr. Tibbs

I've been using Quakespasm, which feels pretty faithful to the original look of the game with the benefits of some modern features.
1480885521717.jpg

1480860283505.jpg

Cy18crCUUAANQ2g.jpg

Cy18crHUAAASxDx.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Can you have it use the original graphics?

there are cfg parameters in quakespasm you can add to remove interpolation, smooth particles and other enhancements to get it extremely close to the original. if you want to go a step further there is a branch of fitzquake mark v that imitates the old software winquake renderer for vanilla LOD and color depth

Mr. Tibbs

A neat interview about the making of Arkane Dimensions.

Simon: Arcane Dimensions started life back in the summer of 2014 and was originally called 'Repent'. The MOD was about converting all monsters and weapons to projectiles instead of (some) using hitscan systems. Just before Christmas 2014 my HD crashed! After much wailing, cursing and screaming I realized that my latest backup was 3 months old and I had lost a large amount of work. Eventually I got a new HD and from the ashes Arcane Dimensions was born.

Initially I started with a fresh Quake C code base, a small collection of previously made models and bunch of rather crude test maps. After converting everything to projectile only combat I decided it was time to make the environments more dynamic. I spent several months trying out different ideas and eventually settled on a breakable system that could be customized by using brushwork models. The icing on the cake was to allow monsters to destroy the breakables as well!

With each passing month, more monsters showed up in the test maps, new weapon upgrades were added and gradually more people joined the team to create maps! Eventually there were so many new monsters added that there were unique looking armies of ogres, knights and soldiers! The best happy accident feature was minions, which were setup to spawn from certain monsters and create dynamic combat by allowing for fights to develop over time. After 18 months of development and a MOD team of 7 people the first version of Arcane Dimensions finally got released on 25th December 2015.

Arcane Dimensions adds new enemies, effects, breakable objects and so on. Still, especially in comparison to other mods, it stays really true to the original Quake look and feel. Is that something you set out to do or did it just develop like that?

Simon: I think a game really shines when everything is working, looking and moving in the same direction. Visual consistency is important, otherwise it’s just a random collection of things.

Maik: The extended variety of monsters/funcs was never seen as a new addon, but as an somewhat augmentation to the existing bestiary. Just like the Quoth mod did, but with a bigger scope.

Mr. Tibbs

A huge new level has been released for Arcane Dimensions. The map's so large it requires an update to Quakespam.

DCfv7VqXUAAbxEs.jpg

Rejoice!

The next big release for Arcane Dimensions is finally here! This a technical masterpiece and a monster of a map with roughly 60k brushes. All beautifully realized by Simon, and made possible through the engine updates by Eric. Please take note that you need AD 1.5 and the new engine provided in this thread to play the map. I would also recommend reading the ad_sepulcher readme for further information.

** this map requires a new engine and AD 1.5"

Links
New Engine Quakespasm / Quakespasm-spike
http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/quakespasm-admod-win32.zip
http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/quakespasm-admod-macOS.zip

Map file
http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_sepulcher.zip

Enjoy!

If you want to emulate the chunky, unfiltered textures and particle style of the 1990s without animation interpolation, I recommend entering these settings when in-game (or adding to auto-exec).

Type them into the console or add them to autoexec.cfg as described above:
gl_texturemode 1 (disables texture filtering, 3 enables mipmapping resulting in less "noise" when moving)
r_particles 2 (changes to square particles)
r_lerpmove 0 (disables animation interpolation for enemies)
r_lerpmodels 0 (disables animation interpolation for everything else, e.g. weapons)

To my knowledge, the lower weapon placement can only be adressed by changing the "camera" placement, thus slightly altering the viewpoint, using this command:
scr_ofsx -2.8 (the value can be adjusted, although I found this the most suitable)

Brightness and contrast can be changed from the menu or using commands (I prefered gamma 1.2 and contrast 1.5).

The original lossless music tracks can be sourced here: https://www.gog.com/forum/quake_series/quake_1_2_quickstart_guide_music_and_source_ports
DCxKwSiXcAAuHWe.jpg

Damn this looks good, thanks for the thread OP and the update, probably wouldn't of seen it without it! Gonna have to check it out.

Mr. Tibbs

It is working now, I kept getting a timeout error but seems fine now.

Edit: Download failed >_<

That sucks. Do either of these mirrors for A.D. work? I don't think the AD Sepulcher map (AD 1.6) is hosted anywhere else yet, sorry.
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_v1_42final.html
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_v1_50final.html

Damn this looks good, thanks for the thread OP and the update, probably wouldn't of seen it without it! Gonna have to check it out.

There's not many posts in this thread, but I wanted to let you know this looks cool and I appreciate the updates!
If either of you guys play AD and enjoy it, let others know what you think. I think it's a bloody good time!

Mr. Tibbs

Apologies for the double post.

I figured it would be a good time to post some of the recent coverage of Arcane Dimensions.

The creator, Sock, has posted a step-by-step guide for installing the mod on his website, which should be very useful for new players.

Youtuber Gaming Pastime included the mod in his comprehensive review of Quake, offering high praise for the work and highlighting the unique contributions the mod makes to the base Quake experience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cyENU6kAlk

Shacknews and PC Gamer have posted articles about the map.

Quote from the latter:

[W]hile the original E1M3 is made up of around 1,000 brushes, which is the term for each individual shaped block that makes up a map, The Forgotten Sepulcher features 60,000. Thanks to id releasing Quake's source code online, modern updates to the engine have been able to push it further and further, doing things that would've been impossible in 1996.

But the Forgotten Sepulcher isn't just detailed—it's also huge compared to most Quake maps. There are 297 monsters to defeat and sub-bosses, if you can find the keys to their locked doors. Nearly 90 secrets are tucked away waiting to be uncovered. There's a multitude of destructive objects. Enemies burst from doorways. Also, there are fishing ogres.

XHMABYcm5tFKooPQpddpWi-650-80.png

FF4fzvVLem38ftY7zXg7Hi-650-80.jpg

Just look at this thing!
bYpRAAo29adqGLPtUHZFMi-650-80.jpg

Mr. Tibbs

Hmm, just loaded this up into DarkPlaces and the weapon texture doesn't load.

The latest version of A.D. uses custom particles and exceeds the brush limit to such a degree that it requires a specially modified version of Quakespasm, which is the only engine currently capable of running it.

morpix

The latest version of A.D. uses custom particles and exceeds the brush limit to such a degree that it requires a specially modified version of Quakespasm, which is the only engine currently capable of running it.

Yup, that worked using the tutorial posted. Thanks, will give it a try.

low-G

Just want to throw my 2c in, but AD is one of the best mods I've ever played, and frankly better than 99.9% of FPS ever made by itself.

Beautiful, amazing level design. You could write short stories about the level themes alone. Epic, serpentine levels that deliver a feeling that a small handful of other games have ever delivered.

A MUST PLAY for everyone that plays FPS.

It's great to see someone posting news about mods!

For the value mod support gets in PC games, they rarely get much attention unless they're Brutal Doom.

Just want to throw my 2c in, but AD is one of the best mods I've ever played, and frankly better than 99.9% of FPS ever made by itself.

Beautiful, amazing level design. You could write short stories about the level themes alone. Epic, serpentine levels that deliver a feeling that a small handful of other games have ever delivered.

A MUST PLAY for everyone that plays FPS.

I liked it more than the new DOOM past year. It's that good.

Mr. Tibbs

I liked it more than the new DOOM past year. It's that good.

Yeah, this is incredible. Its insane that in 2017, Quake is probably the best FPS ive played all year.

It really is fantastic. I hope more people give A.D. a shot because it's really so much more than just a Quake mod. The level layouts are really clever, and each is carefully paced with enemies, puzzles (well, switches and keys to track down), secrets, and enough diversions that they really lend themselves to multiple, satisfying playthroughs. The new enemies, power-ups, and weapons (especially the triple-barreled shotgun) feel so universe-appropriate that someone new to Quake could easily be forgiven for thinking they were part of the base game. This is easily the best Quake campaign. Period.

Edit: The only classic FPS competition I can see giving Arcane Dimensions a challenge is Voidpoint's Ion Maiden, which I'm certain will be something special.

Raptomex

Youtuber Gaming Pastime included the mod in his comprehensive review of Quake, offering high praise for the work and highlighting the unique contributions the mod makes to the base Quake experience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cyENU6kAlk
I did that review. I saw new traffic coming from GAF and was curious where on here is came from.

Yes, this is truly an excellent mod. I would even say it's better than the base game. But I don't have much nostalgia for Quake, either. I only really got into it recently for the review. The new enemies and boss battles are really fucking fun. That widowmaker shotgun is awesome.

Mr. Tibbs

I did that review. I saw new traffic coming from GAF and was curious where on here is came from.

Yes, this is truly an excellent mod. I would even say it's better than the base game. But I don't have much nostalgia for Quake, either. I only really got into it recently for the review. The new enemies and boss battles are really fucking fun. That widowmaker shotgun is awesome.

Awesome. I really like your channel. I appreciate how thorough you are when covering older titles. So many reviewers covering classic shooters ignore expansion packs, and very few discuss specific mods in any depth, so I think you've got a unique selling point. Plus, it helps that you're super articulate when it comes to discussing game mechanics. I agree with you regarding AD being superior to the base Quake campaign.

BTW, The Ogre Fortress map was updated today. Here's a video of the map on the designer's channel.

Raptomex

Awesome. I really like your channel. I appreciate how thorough you are when covering older titles. So many reviewers covering classic shooters ignore expansion packs, and very few discuss specific mods in any depth, so I think you've got a unique selling point. Plus, it helps that you're super articulate when it comes to discussing game mechanics. I agree with you regarding AD being superior to the base Quake campaign.

BTW, The Ogre Fortress map was updated today. Here's a video of the map on the designer's channel.
Exciting. I hope they keep adding to it. I would love to revisit this mod and review an updated version at some point. I had a lot of fun with it and I know for a fact I missed a ton of secrets and stuff. The replay value is incredible.

VariantX

Makes me want to run and install quake on steam again. I've never really tried playing Quake mods so it could be a nice learning experience

Mr. Tibbs

Another ambitious Quake episode, Ter Shibboleth, has been released, which like Arcane Dimensions latest level, requires a customised version of Quakespasm to run.

Presenting a new Quake custom episode, Ter Shibboleth. You will traverse through new environments including a tropical hotel resort, a far east structure nestled on the edge of a cliff, and a western mining town. Each map is designed to be as non-linear as possible, so don't be afraid to explore and take different routes as you progress. While each map can be played with a shotgun start, the episode was designed to be played from start to finish. Saving periodically is encouraged, you will face hard encounters.

shib2.jpg

shib3.jpg

shib5.jpg

Top Bottom