• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobel Prize winner Doris Lessing thinks Barack Obama would be assassinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2irp0yq.jpg

Obama would be killed if elected]Source
The Associated Press
Published: February 10, 2008

STOCKHOLM, Sweden: Nobel Prize winner Doris Lessing believes Barack Obama would be assassinated if he were elected U.S. president, the British writer said in a newspaper interview.

Asked whether she supported Hillary Clinton or Obama in the presidential race, Lessing told Stockholm daily Dagens Nyheter "it doesn't matter," but suggested the two Democrats should join forces in the election.

"It would be best if they ran together. Hillary is a very sharp lady. It might be calmer if she wins and not Obama," Lessing was quoted as saying in comments translated into Swedish.

"He would probably not last long, a black man in the position of president. They would kill him," Lessing said in the interview published Saturday.

She did not specify who she believed would kill Obama.

Her agent in London did not answer phone calls seeking comment on Sunday.

Lessing, 88, who won the Nobel Prize for literature last year, is known for her fierce and sometimes contrary statements.

In October, she told a Spanish newspaper that the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks were "neither as terrible nor as extraordinary" as many people think.

The Swedish Academy, which awards the Nobel Prize, praised the British writer for her "skepticism, fire and visionary power".

This lady might just be insane. But it's something I've seen brought up in the media on several occasions, and it is quite worrying since it makes it seem like something to be expected :S

wtf.

Fireblend

Banned
Actually... I agree =/ but I would be surprised if it was just because of him being black.

*cue angry posts attacking this one.

Gaborn

It amazes me how some people just ASSUME that America is racist or just willing to assassinate someone who gets the presidency (that is what she seems to be implying) not that the person SUGGESTING it is racist, oh, no, it's the OTHER people. This is just a way to smear Obama's opponents and to try to stir up race warfare, I think most Americans have moved beyond the 1960s, though there will always be crazy people (on both sides of the aisle).

Ark-AMN

Banned
"He would probably not last long, a black man in the position of president. They would kill him," Lessing said in the interview published Saturday.
I really wish she had elaborated on who she believes "they" are.

BTW, I believe this woman is just another one in the line of moran's that prove the Nobel prize means jack ****

sp0rsk said:
If Bush didn't get assassinated, I dunno if Obama will.
Wasn't Bush threatened in 2004 though? I mean I think the American people wouldn't be so held up on such an issue. There's more things at stake then the guys colour.

Teddman

WTF is it with Nobel Prize winners these days... Didn't the last one sound off with some racial comments too?

sp0rsk said:
It is the right-wing people that tend to assassinate left-wing leaders . . . . Yitzhak Rabin, MLK, Robert Kennedy, Jesus, Sadat, etc.

That "peace" message is just too dangerous.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Fireblend said:
Actually... I agree =/ but I would be surprised if it was just because of him being black.

*cue angry posts attacking this one.
I dunno, I'd definitely see that as being the primary reason it could happen. (As sad as that is.)

Atrus

Gold Member
sp0rsk said:

Someone did try. I distinctly remember an occasion when a grenade was thrown at him in Georgia but it luckily turned out to be a dud.

Zeed

Banned
I certainly think it's possible, even likely, that someone would try.

Racial extremists may be a small minority in this country, but that small minority exists and all it takes is one.

Gaborn

Atrus said:
Someone did try. I distinctly remember an occasion when a grenade was thrown at him in Georgia but it luckily turned out to be a dud.

I'm pretty sure every President has faced assassination attempts.

With the possible exception of William Henry Harrison.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Ark-AMN said:
I really wish she had elaborated on who she believes "they" are.

BTW, I believe this woman is just another one in the line of moran's that prove the Nobel prize means jack ****
your stunning lack of proper grammar/spelling made me guffaw.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
speculawyer said:
Reminds me of this quote:

Bill Hicks said:
The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question: "Is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." And we kill those people.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Gaborn said:
I'm pretty sure every President has faced assassination attempts.

With the possible exception of William Henry Harrison.
Oh no? I'm not so sure I believe that "pneumonia" cover up they've got going.

Gaborn

speculawyer said:
It is the right-wing people that tend to assassinate left-wing leaders . . . . Yitzhak Rabin, MLK, Robert Kennedy, Jesus, Sadat, etc.

Yeah, we need more "peaceful" men like LBJ. Damn traitor.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Presidential assassination attempts these days come more from complete nut jobs who target anyone than people with an actual reason to hate the person.

grandjedi6 said:
Presidential assassination attempts these days come more from complete nut jobs who target anyone than people with an actual reason to hate the person.
Sometimes. That definitely covers Hinkley & Chapman.

grandjedi6

Every President since FDR, except LBJ and Eisenhower, have had at least one, if not multiple assassination attempts against them

I would be surprised in fact if a democrat (either Hilary or Obama) is elected next fall and he isn't assassinated before the end of his mandate.

Tobor

grandjedi6 said:
Every President since FDR, except LBJ and Eisenhower, have had at least one, if not multiple assassination attempts against them

This is true. Some the CIA and FBI thwart, and some the CIA and FBI assist.

Deku

Banned
No offense to this Nobel Prize winner and her giant brain, but the nascent racism in her remarks is despicable.

grandjedi6

Tobor said:
This is true. Some the CIA and FBI thwart, and some the CIA and FBI assist.
wut?

Lazy vs Crazy said:
The people that oppose Bush are largely well educated and rational.

The people that oppose Obama would likely be violent racists.

wut?

vpance

I think it'll happen. This was why we saw the attempts on President Palmer and him finally being killed. They like to show you the future in TV and movies. The result will be nothing short of the eruption of civil chaos. And then in comes the next Patriot Act.

After, VP, 33rd degree Freemason and Gaia worshipping Al Gore will take over as president.

Gaborn

Lazy vs Crazy said:
The people that oppose Bush are largely well educated and rational.

The people that oppose Obama would likely be violent racists.

Stereotyping FTW! (both "positive" and negative.)

Gaborn

speculawyer said:
Traitor? Signing the civil rights act? How was he a traitor?

For falsifying the Gulf Of Tonkin incident, or at the least covering up that it was a false incident and lying to the country to get us into Vietnam.

benita316

Banned
Deku said:
No offense to this Nobel Prize winner and her giant brain, but the nascent racism in her remarks is despicable.

Uhh no.

There is not a hint of racism in anything she said. She's commenting on the racism of others.

Reading comprehension ftw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom