• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WP: Before Michelle, Barack Obama asked another woman to marry him.

Yep! Those people who immediately lap up the narrative that fits their already arrived at conclusions are pretty ridiculous...

clap-clap.gif

No one is implying black people, like yourself, should not exist (through "cheering it on").

It's simply a matter of optics that bring about a negative feeling to a lot of black men and women who do not live in a mixed race household.
It's not a matter of should I exist or not. Let me loop this back around to the comment that I'm taking issue with:
Maraniss’s 2012 biography deftly describes Obama’s conscious evolution from a multicultural, internationalist self-perception toward a distinctly African American one, and Garrow puts this transition into an explicitly political context. For black politicians in Chicago, he writes, a non-African-American spouse could be a liability. He cites the example of Richard H. Newhouse Jr., a legendary African American state senator in Illinois, who was married to a white woman and endured whispers that he “talks black but sleeps white.” And Carol Moseley Braun, who during the 1990s served Illinois as the first female African American U.S. senator and whose ex-husband was white, admitted that “an interracial marriage really restricts your political options.”
Thank God for Chicago cause I don't know if this would have applied to every other city. I can only really think of Detroit and Atlanta. We wouldn't have gotten Obama the senator or Obama the President if it wasn't for Chicago and Michelle.
This comment come across to me as "Thank God that Chicago's political climate encouraged Barack to marry a black woman instead of a white one." I know the second part to that is "Because it helped get him elected" but still. Doesn't sit right with me. And again, Deepwater, if that's not what you intended with that comment I'd love for you to clarify. I could just be totally misunderstanding what you're saying, but that's how it came across to me.

Obama largely never had to earn the trust of the black community. He didn't have to campaign strongly specifically to garner the black vote. With a black wife, black children and his roots in Chicago, his dedication to the black community was easier to assume. I imagine this in turn allowed him to devote more energy to appealing to white voters and to speak much less about issues effecting minorities than someone like Hillary Clinton had to.

This unarguably changes for him with a white wife and white children. This Obama has to fight a battle Michelle Barack never did. He has to be more overt in showing his dedication to PoC. It's no longer tacit; It has to be spoken aloud, it has to be shown and clearly. And I doubt there is any way he does this without also reminding many white voters much more pointedly that he is, in fact, a biracial black man. Look no further to his comments on Trayvon Martin to see what sort of negative blowback this could cause amongst white America. Maybe his appeals to the black community turn off white voters who otherwise would have swayed his way? Who knows; Things would definitely have been different and, I imagine, much harder for Obama with a white family.

So no, it isn't that I think he would have failed to win over the black community. On the contrary, I think he would have done so well enough. But in doing so, Obama would have gained the burden of appearing to be a presidential candidate for black people to the significant numbers of his white voters who momentarily were able to overlook his skin color. In the end I'd wager it would have been bigotry from white America that would have prevented him from winning, not African Americans.

Deepwater

It's not a matter of should I exist or not. Let me loop this back around to the comment that I'm taking issue with:

This comment come across to me as "Thank God that Chicago's political climate encouraged Barack to marry a black woman instead of a white one." I know the second part to that is "Because it helped get him elected" but still. Doesn't sit right with me. And again, Deepwater, if that's not what you intended with that comment I'd love for you to clarify. I could just be totally misunderstanding what you're saying, but that's how it came across to me.

No that's basically what I meant. His legacy would look different with a white woman.

Obama largely never had to earn the trust of the black community. He didn't have to campaign strongly specifically to garner the black vote. With a black wife, black children and his roots in Chicago, his dedication to the black community was easier to assume. I imagine this in turn allowed him to devote more energy to appealing to white voters and to speak much less about issues effecting minorities than someone like Hillary Clinton had to.

This unarguably changes for him with a white wife and white children. This Obama has to fight a battle Michelle Barack never did. He has to be more overt in showing his dedication to PoC. It's no longer tacit; It has to be spoken aloud, it has to be shown and clearly. And I doubt there is any way he does this without also reminding many white voters much more pointedly that he is, in fact, a biracial black man. Look no further to his comments on Trayvon Martin to see what sort of negative blowback this could cause amongst white America. Maybe his appeals to the black community turn off white voters who otherwise would have swayed his way? Who knows; Things would definitely have been different and, I imagine, much harder for Obama with a white family.

So no, it isn't that I think he would have failed to win over the black community. On the contrary, I think he would have done so well enough. But in doing so, Obama would have gained the burden of appearing to be a presidential candidate for black people to the significant numbers of his white voters who momentarily were able to overlook his skin color. In the end I'd wager it would have been bigotry from white America that would have prevented him from winning, not African Americans.

to be fair his children would still be black, just his wife.

watershed

Banned
It's funny how Lincoln-esque this new bio seems. Lincoln also had a "secret" first love before his political ambitions were fully formed and some of his contemporary critics tried to use that fact to undercut his marriage to Mary Todd while others pinpointed that time in his life as his turn from gentle country lawyer to ruthless, single-minded politician aiming for the presidency.

to be fair his children would still be black, just his wife.
A single black grandparent, an Asian grandparent, and two white grandparents. Doubtful. Beyond simply "biracial", what people considered them in this country would depend largely on how they looked; It's superficial, stupid and completely American.

You know this.

Kusagari

A single black grandparent, an Asian grandparent, and two white grandparents. Doubtful. Beyond simply "biracial", what people considered them in this country would depend largely on how they looked; It's superficial, stupid and completely American.

You know this.

One drop of black and you're considered black in this country. That's been the one constant since the beginning.

Cipherr

do you think Obama would have became president with a white wife?

To be honest? I dont really give a damn. Its a everyday hypothetical, personal relationship issue involving a PAST president. I am not sure exactly whether the optics issue would have mattered as much as to influence the election that year. It's basically unknowable.

It's funny how Lincoln-esque this new bio seems. Lincoln also had a "secret" first love before his political ambitions were fully formed and some of his contemporary critics tried to use that fact to undercut his marriage to Mary Todd while others pinpointed that time in his life as his turn from gentle country lawyer to ruthless, single-minded politician aiming for the presidency.

I had a similar thought. It's an interesting parallel.

PiFace

Banned
do you think Obama would have became president with a white wife?
There is something ​called reality, live in it. This isn't a computer program where you can run a different simulation to get a possible different answer.

In this reality, it doesn't matter. It doesn't change a thing and we can never know.

What if Al Gore won? What if Bush was a good president, all these questions are ridiculously stupid.

One drop of black and you're considered black in this country. That's been the one constant since the beginning.
Historically, sure. Now? Look how quick racists are to downplay Obama's achievements in the context of his heritage with "he's half white, you know", as if the history of the one drop rule suddenly evaporated when he was elected. In this particular instance, I highly doubt this hypothetical Obama's offspring would be labeled black if 1) they did not appear to be at all and 2) they did not consider themselves as such.

Gabrielle Reece is as black as Obama. Do you really think the people quick to pull out the "he's not the first black President!" shtick would call his kids black if they looked like her?

This is a weird conversation.

There is something ​called reality, live in it. This isn't a computer program where you can run a different simulation to get a possible different answer.

In this reality, it doesn't matter. It doesn't change a thing and we can never know.

What if Al Gore won? What if Bush was a good president, all these questions are ridiculously stupid.

Tell that to the many Gaffers who criticize Hillary for not doing enough to combat Trump.

Obama would have had a hard time making it through the primaries with a white (or white passing) wife. The black support was in full effect because of the duo of him and Michelle.

Deepwater

To be honest? I dont really give a damn. Its a everyday hypothetical, personal relationship issue involving a PAST president. I am not sure exactly whether the optics issue would have mattered as much as to influence the election that year. It's basically unknowable.

tell that to the gaffers who want to relitigate the 2016 dem primary or general election in every single political thread and not me.

The question had merit, which is why people were responding to it before yall decided to inject your useless comments

Kreed

The negative opinion of the black community would have affected him in the primaries where the black vote is essential.

Possibly but it's a stretch to say those in the US Black community who would be swayed enough not to vote in the primaries would have been enough in numbers to cause him a loss against Hillary. Ignoring any probable changes Barack would have had as a person had he not met Michelle, Barack still was not only one of the best campaigners in the US but had one of the greatest campaigns we'd ever seen in the US in 08. And even if his wife was that big of a problem that it would have cost him enough Black votes to lose, his campaign would have addressed it head on (keeping in mind that Hillary nor McCain could have attacked him over it without hurting their own campaigns).

Fuchsdh

Sheila has the biggest "you were fucking wrong" comeback to her parents forever

Lol, yeah. Well, they can always do the "our girl almost married the president!" old person routine at parties.

The biography sounds interesting (I had no idea the Law School presidency was such a big deal at the time.)

The idea that he might have had to sacrifice personal happiness in pursuit of politics is a sucky one, but those are the dice you roll. By all accounts he and Michelle seem happy so I don't imagine he's the kind of guy to dwell too hard on what might have been. It's actually probably one of the most relatable anecdotes I've heard from his life, because I think a lot of us have relationships where we realize you're growing apart from the other person. It's not about who's "wrong" or right in the relationship, it's just conflicting life paths.

Also, the bit about Obama being insufferable in class seems like it describes every high achiever I've known. You can't wait for them to get out of your hair and go change the world.

Possibly but it's a stretch to say those in the US Black community who would be swayed enough not to vote in the primaries would have been enough in numbers to cause him a loss against Hillary. Ignoring any probable changes Barack would have had as a person had he not met Michelle, Barack still was not only one of the best campaigners in the US but had one of the greatest campaigns we'd ever seen in the US in 08. And even if his wife was that big of a problem that it would have cost him enough Black votes to lose, his campaign would have addressed it head on (keeping in mind that Hillary nor McCain could have attacked him over it without hurting their own campaigns).

Obama also was the Hope and Change candidate. I think that was the biggest point in his favor over everything else. We were probably going to get the monkey/"go back to Africa" stuff regardless once he was in the office, white woman by his side or not.

http://graphics.wsj.com/elections/2016/how-clinton-won/

Glad "he was really in love with a white woman" can be added to the board with "he was raised by white grandparents, don't you know?"

Just another not so subtle attack on black achievement and black relationships.

Toxi

Banned
So Obama proposed twice, got turned down both times, and then cut off a relationship that was already floundering?

Truly his heart is a shriveled lump of coal.

Gorillaz

Yea I heard about this

The climate would have been completely different in 2008. Could see a few people..actually a shit load not vote for him due having a white wife. From all sides.

Mesousa

Banned
There's this sweet clip with a 106 year old woman being over the moon seeing a black president with a black wife. Made me tear up seeing this.

https://youtu.be/XL6E4y7DTn4

Dark skin, intelligent, fit, headstrong: We needed this.

And this is the EXACT reason Obama would have been DOA for president if he had a Hapa/white/fair skinned wife. There is a stereotype present that black men who "Make it" get white women, and they are characterized as lame,cornballish, and flat out sellouts. Its enough to the point where people will treat you different from the jump if you have nonblack partner.

Barack's image as the cool charismatic,suave, and hip guy with Black folks came from Michelle. Young black women saw him as someone they could aspire to be with. Older black women wanted to have a son like him dating a woman like Michelle.

You sound like the guy who wrote the book. You have unrealistic expectations of Barack Obama the human being, and, seemingly, just people in general.

Is it wrong to be moderate? How much soul has to be beared in a memoir for it to not be an advertisement? Is promoting yourself and then running for a state senate seat a bad thing?

Obama was the president he campaigned as, and certain liberals projected a bunch of things on him that he never said or even implied.

You're seeing a similar thing now with Trump, except it's even crazier because Trump is *deliberately* vague about everything.

Yes, it is wrong to moderate in memoirs. The whole point of a memoir is pouring yourself out there. Lots of people took it very genuinely and authentically, which is just preposterous. That's not a memoir. Obama isn't the only one guilty of this, it's a common and cynical tool, I'm not commenting on him so much as I am on the people who think its an actual memoir, and how I just thought that was absurd.

No, I don't have unrealistic expectations. That's the whole point. Obama is just like them all. I have the exact right expectations. An opportunist who made very calculated moves. His lack of real passion for African American rights, makes so much sense, and his more internationalist, status quo beliefs.

It's disillusioning. Some people are true believers, authentic. There's nothing unrealistic to hope Obama is like that too, especially when he presents himself that way. Some of you are far too defensive of Obama. At the end of the day he is probably going to go down as the best president of our lifetimes, and probably rightfully so, he was effective in the second term, and stood for good. But that doesn't mean at his core, perhaps, he was just an opportunist who did this status rather than to better the world, and just like the other conmen, Blair and Clinton. Telling his first address since coming back into the world was to Wallstreet Bankers for $600,000.

It's the difference between, i'd say Sanders, or I could pick another politician, that rare politician you believe has real authenticity and the rest. Not an empty but charismatic authenticity like Bill Clinton and apparently Barak Obama too. I was kinda suspected it. This really makes everything make so much sense. Especially how he dealt with African American issues in his first term, and how he spoke to them. Second term that all changed. But this is the reason Obama never turned out to be the racial and social justice warrior we thought he was going to become. He never was that. But those guys do exist.

But the ones who run on this stuff and win tend to be conmen like Bill Clinton, Blair and Obama. Obsessed with status, wealth, and hobnobbing.

Paganmoon

This is a pretty hilarious quote:

Her parents were opposed, less for any racial reasons (Barack came across to them like “a white, middle-class kid,” a close family friend said)

"It's not a racial thing, he acts white!"

Say what now?

I wonder if it could convince racist white people to realize that they're being racist when they realize they don't like the idea of a black man with "their" white women and that part of the reason they could swallow President Obama was due to the fact they felt he was "properly" married to a woman "befitting" him (and given all the shit they gave him about his wife, despite the fact she has more dignity, class, and grace in her pinky than their entire family combined...)

.....haha doubt it.
Opposition to Black and White marriage is a two way street. It's just that the Black side of that opposition generally doesn't involve disowning their children for it.

And this is the EXACT reason Obama would have been DOA for president if he had a Hapa/white/fair skinned wife. There is a stereotype present that black men who "Make it" get white women, and they are characterized as lame,cornballish, and flat out sellouts. Its enough to the point where people will treat you different from the jump if you have nonblack partner.

Barack's image as the cool charismatic,suave, and hip guy with Black folks came from Michelle. Young black women saw him as someone they could aspire to be with. Older black women wanted to have a son like him dating a woman like Michelle.

THIS 100% Michelle gave him the "street cred" that he wouldn't have had on his own.

Optics are important though. Take a look at Mike Conley Jr's son. That kid doesn't look black at all and a child like that would have been a HUGE problem for Obama. A white wife and a kid that looks 100% white and as Trump would say, he couldn't get elected to be the dog catcher.

Mesousa

Banned
This is a pretty hilarious quote:

"It's not a racial thing, he acts white!"

Say what now?

I think the more humorous note is that WMAF are now viewed as so toxic that an interracial relationship has to be prefaced saying they are not racially biased about their child, in fact, dating interracially.

EurasianTiger really has changed society.

Kreed

I shouldn't have to explain why comparing Bernie Sanders in 2016 to Obama in 2008 is a bad idea (Obama was the better campaigner not just for his own campaign, but for Hillary's vs Bernie). Also it's 2008 we're talking about, not 2016. It wasn't an election to replace Obama, who is still popular and where people on average were happier and the US was doing better. It was an election to replace the extremely unpopular president "George Bush doesn't care about Black people" aka "Stankonia said they are willing to drop bombs over Baghdad". Again, not disagreeing that Obama marrying the woman in this book would have affected the opinions of some Black voters negatively, just that Obama himself as a campaigner and speaker, his campaign team, the potential of a Black president, and how terrible Bush was would have overcome any potential loss from the US Black community.

TheMan

I just dont think it's possible to succeed in national politics without being a least a little cold and calculating. There's no such thing as the reluctant hero who bravely takes on the mantle on leadership- you have to fight for a prize like that and step on some people on the way up.

Gattsu25

Banned

Right. So the memoir is an "advertisement and PR stunt" but this biography designed to sell units is inherently a bastion of objective truth and insight?

This is laughably stupid.

This is such an obviously flawed approach, taking a bitter ex's perceptions and projecting them all over the rest of Obama's life.

Interesting. Yeah, seems like some people are just hungry to try to discredit a popular ex-president for their own ambitions. Noted.

I can understand his embracing his african side being in part strategic...Obama is mixed race, and not African American in a historical sense. As someone who is also mixed race, it doesn't surprise me that identity was always a central consideration for him.

Interesting. Yeah, seems like some people are just hungry to try to discredit a popular ex-president for their own ambitions. Noted.

Dude is back for a few weeks and people are already at him. Grabbing on to anything to make him seem like anything less than an ex-president that wanted to make the world a better place.

I can understand his embracing his african side being in part strategic...Obama is mixed race, and not African American in a historical sense. As someone who is also mixed race, it doesn't surprise me that identity was always a central consideration for him.

He is most definitely African American in a historical sense.

Gattsu25

Banned

What America do you live in? People with 1 black and 1 white parent have ALWAYS been considered black in America.

Sanojio

I have no idea how true this is, but I remember in the OJ documentary on Netflix they mentioned that black women sometimes don't like when black men marry white women.

And maybe that's 100% untrue. I don't know much about the black community, just thought I would throw it out there.

That and traditionally the strongest political support base has been the black Protestant church community for black politicians. That shit would have not flown half as well with a white wife. He wouldn't have been as "credible" as a representative for blacks, particularly church going conservative nuclear family types. Black women in particular fucking despise prominent black men that marry white women, especially if they were with a black woman prior.

I'm black.

While there would have definitely been negative opinions in the US Black community towards Barack if he was married to this woman and not Michelle, it's silly IMO to think the importance of the first Black President would have lost all of it's meaning to half of Barack's 08 Black voters because of who he married, especially coming after George Bush.
Would Obama's career have been where he was at in 07-08 with a perceived white wife? Probably not. For discussions sake let's say he still makes it to the primaries... Clinton still had the Black vote. Obama had to earn it, prove he could get the nomination before Blacks left Clinton. That would have been an uphill battle. Interracial marriage Obama would have seen a big drop in support from Black women & Liberal and moderate white males IMO. He would have to attempt to soften the blow and remind the public that his wife is Asian and not just white. Clinton and the media would have race trolled the marriage and he may not have recovered from that.

Maybe he's talented enough to have weathered that storm but I think his presidency would have came later than 08, if not never.

Mesousa

Banned
Would Obama's career have been where he was at in 07-08 with a perceived white wife? Probably not. For discussions sake let's say he still makes it to the primaries... Clinton still had the Black vote. Obama had to earn it, prove he could get the nomination before Blacks left Clinton. That would have been an uphill battle. Interracial marriage Obama would have seen a big drop in support from Black women & Liberal and moderate white males IMO. He would have to attempt to soften the blow and remind the public that his wife is Asian and not just white. Clinton and the media would have race trolled the marriage and he may not have recovered from that.

Maybe he's talented enough to have weathered that storm but I think his presidency would have came later than 08, if not never.

He wouldnt have been president at all.

He is tied to Michelle in that she not only gave him credibility with black women(who are doing the most voting in the black community...lets be honest), but also with black men who he was cool with by virtue of being popular with their female demographic. Young Jeezy didnt make "My president is black" because he sat down and read through Obama's political stances. It was because he was immensely popular with his female fan base, which translated to being acceptable for the male crowd.

Two things.

First, if we're speaking of genetics, African American "in the historical sense" would define a person of some indeterminate amount of African and European ancestry. Over a quarter of the average African American genome is European.

Exactly How ‘Black’ Is Black America?

http://www.theroot.com/exactly-how-black-is-black-america-1790895185
* According to Ancestry.com, the average African American is 65 percent sub-Saharan African, 29 percent European and 2 percent Native American.

* According to 23andme.com, the average African American is 75 percent sub-Saharan African, 22 percent European and only 0.6 percent Native American.

* According to Family Tree DNA.com, the average African American is 72.95 percent sub-Saharan African, 22.83 percent European and 1.7 percent Native American.

And for our African-American male guests, there has been still another astonishing fact revealed about their paternal ancestry — their father's father's father's line — through their y-DNA: A whopping 35 percent of all African-American men descend from a white male ancestor who fathered a mulatto child sometime in the slavery era, most probably from rape or coerced sexuality. In other words, if we tested the DNA of all of the black men in the NBA, for instance, just over one-third descend from a white second or third great-grandfather. In my own case, he was my great-great-grandfather, and he was most probably of Irish descent, judging from our shared y-DNA haplogroup.

I find two things quite fascinating about these results. First of all, simply glancing at these statistics reveals that virtually none of the African Americans tested by these DNA companies is inferred to be 100 percent sub-Saharan African, although each company has analyzed Africans and African immigrants who did test 100 percent sub-Saharan in origin. Ranges, of course, vary from individual to individual. Spencer Wells, director of National Geographic's Genographic Project, explained to me that the African Americans they've tested range from 53 percent to 95 percent sub-Saharan African, 3 percent to 46 percent European and zero percent to 3 percent Native American. So there is a lot of genetic variation within our ethnic group, as is obvious to anyone even casually glancing at black people just walking down the street.

What this means is that even the most phenotypically "African" (or what used to be called "Negroid") African Americans have dramatically significant levels of European ancestry, a fact that would have astonished many of our forebears, both black and white. It is also a fact that astonishes the guests on Finding Your Roots. And this finding is important because it deconstructs the very American notion of biologically "fixed races" that our society inherited from the racist pseudoscience of the 18th century and drew upon to justify slavery and the property rights of masters who fathered children with their slaves.
(note: I had this link on hand not because of this topic, but from having researched my own family's history. Like the author, my g-g-grandfather was Irish.)

Secondly, African American "in the historical sense" would have been just about anyone black enough to not pass, and even then, regardless of their amount of European ancestry. This isn't South Africa. In any time period in this country Barack Obama would be considered black, full stop, if for nothing else other than his appearance.

Her parents were opposed, less for any racial reasons (Barack came across to them like “a white, middle-class kid,” a close family friend said) than for concern about Obama’s professional prospects

Well, that sure backfired on them

Top Bottom