• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next, NEXT gen: what sort of consoles can we expect? [mock-ups welcome]

Kevin

Nintendo_On.jpg

BELIEVE!!!

unifin

PocketMidget said:
I know I still do. I have yet to see anything to prove to me that this wasn't fan made. Nintendo ON will be after the Wii, I promise!

You're going to have a grand old time here.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Scenario 1: Well.. in 7 years time... Wii
(Skynet)
will have sprouted robot pokemon to take over/dominate the world. So that means... no need for next-next-gen.

Scenario 2: All three consoles will combine to create a mega all gen backwards compatible virtual reality system.

Scenario 3: Nintendo will come up with something innovative, they will all have more space, and very high graphic and processor capabilities. Also more touch and montion sensitive crap will be included, and the newest wave of communication.

When typing this.. I thought of something scary. Couldn't Microsoft just buy out
(Monoploize)
gaming like they did computers? They have enough money to merge/buyout/etc.

PocketMidget said:
I know I still do. I have yet to see anything to prove to me that this wasn't fan made. Nintendo ON will be after the Wii, I promise!

With 45nm WiiTurbo hardware to fit inside the helmet, right?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Stoney Mason said:

Been there, done that.

Anyways, I'm not going to make any predictions on so-called "next-next-gen" other than to say that if current trends persist, they and their games will be ridiculously expensive and only slightly prettier.

llTll

Banned
CosmicGroinPull said:
I don't know about the console, but Playstation 4's controller will still look like DS2/sixaksikxisixksixis

yup. they will add rumble to it..

innovation ftw

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'd like to see someone try augmented reality using glasses, even if just as a peripheral. Maybe 5 years would be too soon for that, but all the technology is falling into place. You'd need lightweight glasses with a camera incorporated into them. The glasses would let you see the world around you still, but it could draw graphics on top. So something like those IR eyetoy demos or that french AR demo, but taken to the next level - instead of this reality being on your TV screen, it would be literally in what you see through these glasses, changing how you see the world. Early examples would merely add things into the world, but maybe a more sophisticated end-game could even manipulate what you see of the real world (mapping in what you see in realtime to a virtual model and then modifying it depending on what's happening in the game). If you threw in the processing power and graphics fidelity that could be available in 5 years - if you could somehow link that to the glasses - it could be very very compelling indeed. It could be a very cool next step in the mixing of the real and the virtual that people like KK go on about :p

The tech is already there (at least in terms of hardware). When I think of this, I think of the 3D infrared eyetoy demos, but in thinking about those I always thought that 'just' having that on the TV you're viewing was somewhat limiting, whereas if it could be done directly in what you see it would be far more immersive. Of course, not every game would fit with this necessarily, but as I say, even as a peripheral I think it could be very very cool indeed.

But it would need to be refined hugely to a point where anyone would be happy using it and wouldn't look silly, and maybe 5 years is too soon to expect that.

Kevin

ps4bt0.jpg

"5D" and "Spirtual" the PLAYSTATION 3 allows you to live the game. The visor only weights 25 pounds and will retail for $5,999 US Dollars.

Considering where they are right now in terms of using the brain to control a computer, I wouldn't doubt that by next console generation we will all be using some kind of brain cap to control our video games. Not to mention the fact that Intel said they will have an 80 core cpu out by 2010. We will likely see something similar in terms of power from at least Sony and MS. The console generation after that is going to be scary with the kind of power those consoles will have. By 2019 we should have a 1000 dollar computer with the processing power of the human brain. They are definitely going to have to do some kind of procedural processing for most things otherwise it will take forever to develop a game.

Dilemma

Nintendo's next console: I have no idea. Maybe slightly refined controls with ps3-xbox360 generation graphics.
Sony's and Microsoft's next consoles: likely more of the same. Improved graphics and technology.

Kevin said:
ps4bt0.jpg

"5D" and "Spirtual" the PLAYSTATION 3 allows you to live the game. The visor only weights 25 pounds and will retail for $5,999 US Dollars.

I like the way the TV is still there, probably 2160p, it makes me laugh!!

Top Bottom