• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "What could Rare do next?" "I'm still partial to Battletoads"

I'd have taken a new Battletoads over Killer Instinct. Fuck.

jYy8Lw5.png

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/statuses/376760161341161472

That would give people an actual reason to call GameStop for Battletoads. The trolling opportunities would be endless.

EDIT: Damn. Beaten.

Really, "KI reaction has been nice which should make us think."

That's what should make you think? Not the fact at the time of purchase they were making some of the most exciting, best selling franchises around? You're a decade late, Phil.

Not to say that I don't think Rare is up to the task, but Ms should revisit all their IPs (and all other IPs they got too) even if Rare isn't making them...

Kinda like what they are already doing with Killer Instinct... I assume finding good developers to develop games in that manner might be a difficult task, but it would increase their portfolio even more than they seem to be doing...

Krakn3Dfx

Isn't all the original talent from Rare gone now? Last I heard, they're working on a spiritual successor to Banjo-Tooie.

I wonder what that studio even is anymore given how long they've been relegated to doing what amounts to the shit work.

RE_Player

Isn't all the original talent from Rare gone now? Last I heard, they're working on a spiritual successor to Banjo-Tooie.

I wonder what that studio even is anymore given how long they've been relegated to doing what amounts to the shit work.

I would love to see if any people pre Microsoft sale are still there. After having to make all the avatar stuff and Kinect Sports I wonder what the culture is there.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
i thought that Crytek is already working on Battletoads.

ryyoqu54.gif

I'd take blast corps or banjo or perfect dark or battletoads or pretty much any game from them that isn't a sports game. Casual mentions like this are worthless though. Either show us the games or stop teasing.

Ushae

Banned
The most stunning looking Banjo platform game you can ever imagine.

Banjo Kazooie. Keep it classical to its roots as a platformer, collect a thon with clever puzzles, big levels smart boss battles. Maybe some Kinect based puzzles etc Instant profit.

Do it Microsoft.

"What could rare do next? I'm going to bring up a franchise of theirs that a different developer is working on, then name drop a game that isn't Kinect sports"

Rare isn't the same rare anyway so why do people keep expecting them to make a quality sequel?

harSon

Banned
If they do make a Battletoads game, it'd probably be best to simply make a moderately budgeted XBLA game out of it.

Banjo Kazooie. Keep it classical to its roots as a platformer, collect a thon with clever puzzles, big levels smart boss battles. Maybe some Kinect based puzzles etc Instant profit.

Do it Microsoft.

Would love this. Actually using kinect for the puzzles in a banjo game is one of the first suggestions for the device that i have thought is pretty neat. So it probably won't be happening then.

If they do make a Battletoads game, it'd probably be best to simply make a moderately budgeted XBLA game out of it.

Definitely, they wouldn't even have to justify putting a whole team on it either. Would be a great nod to their hardcore fan base without using up too many of their resources or budget. Plus it's more likely to result in a battletoads game that is actually good.

Jet Force Gemini, damn that would make for an excellent next gen game.

How about instead of having to beat every level again to rescue all the ewoks to unlock the real final boss, he's now locked behind a paywall? $5 for the proper ending?

Marvel

could never
I'd be happy with another Perfect Dark game. I actually enjoyed the last one on 360 bust would like it to go back to it's original style.

2San

Do it Microsoft.
This sounds like a good idea to me. The XB1 is really lacking 3d platformers, it would also add to the diversity.

Another one of those titles that is pure hype based off nostalgia that is better left as a memory. Although pandering to the old days would get MS some brownie points so why not?

Brofield

I'm still waiting on the Battletoads Double Dragon HD remix.

Not gonna lie, that alone could probably sell me on an Xbone if it were exclusive.

Ushae

Banned
This sounds like a good idea to me. The XB1 is really lacking 3d platformers, it would also add to the diversity.

Diversity is the very reason Sony is so well received, MS chases the $$ first and that just happens to be FPS genre. Hopefully next gen will that opportunity to change this
or not lol

I think the answer is the vast majority of them have gone but there are a few kicking around?

Thing is, its not like Rare replaced all the staff with droids, I'm sure they're people perfectly good at what they do. I don't blame MS for getting them to work on Kinect Sports Rivals but they need to do more as well.

PDZ and Kameo never got the sequels they deserved despite the success they had at 360 launch (both did well at the time) and they had the chance to develop the franchises and didn't.

Don't see any reason why a Perfect Dark sequel can't be a downloadable game on Xbox One. Not everything has to be AAA, theres ways round these things (that don't involve F2P)

Diversity is the very reason Sony is so well received, MS chases the $$ first and that just happens to be FPS genre. Hopefully next gen will that opportunity to change this
or not lol

Microsoft FPS… Halo, Perfect Dark. Gears is third person shooter. They also published Kameo, Viva Piñata, Alan Wake, Forza, PGR, Kinect Sports. Countless XBLA games.

Microsoft don't chase "FPS" money more than anyone else. They don't even have an FPS exclusive launch title.

Top Bottom